Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Killing Long Running Processes

4 posts in Windows NT Last posting was on 1997-09-04 19:02:04.0Z
Jaime Barillas Posted on 1997-09-02 20:59:18.0Z
From: "Jaime Barillas" <barillas@gbm.net>
Subject: Killing Long Running Processes
Organization: Banco Ahorromet
Message-ID: <01bcb7ec$068251a0$292e6a64@jmbarillas.sal.gbm.net>
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1161
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlserver.nt
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 16:59:18 -0400
Lines: 9
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.powersoft.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlserver.nt:5560
Article PK: 1081636

There is a way to kill a PID which it doesn´t appear as an active process
anymore?. In one of them the errorlog reports an 625 error, and the process
which generated it disappeared from the monitor. I have to reboot the SQL
Server to be estable again, but it doesn´t seem very kind in a production
scheme. I really need some advice about it.
TIA


David Lance Wolf Posted on 1997-09-03 01:06:56.0Z
Message-ID: <340CB830.281119E6@sybase.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 18:06:56 -0700
From: David Lance Wolf <dwolf@sybase.com>
Organization: Sybase Professional Services
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.02 [en] (Win95; I)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: Killing Long Running Processes
References: <01bcb7ec$068251a0$292e6a64@jmbarillas.sal.gbm.net>
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="------------25AAB53A8446E54DAF6C719E"
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlserver.nt
Lines: 35
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.powersoft.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlserver.nt:5559
Article PK: 1081637

I would open a case with technical support. If theres not SPID, theres no way
to kill the process. Does it timeslice?

1-800-8SYBASE (tech support)

Dave Wolf
Sybase Professional Services

Jaime Barillas wrote:

> There is a way to kill a PID which it doesn´t appear as an active process
> anymore?. In one of them the errorlog reports an 625 error, and the process
> which generated it disappeared from the monitor. I have to reboot the SQL
> Server to be estable again, but it doesn´t seem very kind in a production
> scheme. I really need some advice about it.
> TIA


Download VCard vcard.vcf


Robert Eckert Posted on 1997-09-04 14:55:18.0Z
Message-ID: <340ECBD5.73743518@mail.mitchell.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 09:55:18 -0500
From: Robert Eckert <reckert@mail.mitchell.net>
Reply-To: reckert@superlink.net
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.0 [en] (WinNT; I)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: Killing Long Running Processes
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
References: <01bcb7ec$068251a0$292e6a64@jmbarillas.sal.gbm.net> <340CB830.281119E6@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlserver.nt
Lines: 37
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.powersoft.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlserver.nt:5555
Article PK: 1081634


David Lance Wolf wrote:

> I would open a case with technical support. If theres not SPID,
> theres no way
> to kill the process. Does it timeslice?
>
> 1-800-8SYBASE (tech support)
>
> Dave Wolf
> Sybase Professional Services
>
> Jaime Barillas wrote:
>
> > There is a way to kill a PID which it doesn´t appear as an active
> process
> > anymore?. In one of them the errorlog reports an 625 error, and the
> process
> > which generated it disappeared from the monitor. I have to reboot
> the SQL
> > Server to be estable again, but it doesn´t seem very kind in a
> production
> > scheme. I really need some advice about it.
> > TIA
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> David Wolf <dwolf@sybase.com>
> Consultant
> Sybase Professional Services
>
> David Wolf
> Consultant <dwolf@sybase.com>
> Sybase Professional Services HTML Mail
> 6550 Rock Spring Drive Suite 800 Netscape Conference Address
> Bethesda Netscape Conference DLS Server
> MD
> 20855
> USA
> Additional Information:
> Last Name Wolf
> First Name David
> Version 2.1

I've seen this behavior also, and often there is in fact a spid which
ocassionaly is blocking another process. however 'Kill <missing spid>'
does not work and we wind up rebooting also.

Rob Eckert


David Lance Wolf Posted on 1997-09-04 19:02:04.0Z
Message-ID: <340F05AC.BDA0C74E@sybase.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 12:02:04 -0700
From: David Lance Wolf <dwolf@sybase.com>
Organization: Sybase Professional Services
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.02 [en] (Win95; I)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: Killing Long Running Processes
References: <01bcb7ec$068251a0$292e6a64@jmbarillas.sal.gbm.net> <340CB830.281119E6@sybase.com> <340ECBD5.73743518@mail.mitchell.net>
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="------------CD5034696EA0089998FF8FFD"
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlserver.nt
Lines: 68
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.powersoft.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlserver.nt:5554
Article PK: 1081629

If the SPID is marked as 'sleeping' it cannot be KILLed because the process is not being handled by and engine, and
is rather in the sleep queue in shared memory.

Call tech support. I cant remember if lct_admin() (to wake up the job) is supported under System XI for NT

Dave Wolf
Sybase Professional Services

Robert Eckert wrote:

> David Lance Wolf wrote:
>
> > I would open a case with technical support. If theres not SPID,
> > theres no way
> > to kill the process. Does it timeslice?
> >
> > 1-800-8SYBASE (tech support)
> >
> > Dave Wolf
> > Sybase Professional Services
> >
> > Jaime Barillas wrote:
> >
> > > There is a way to kill a PID which it doesn´t appear as an active
> > process
> > > anymore?. In one of them the errorlog reports an 625 error, and the
> > process
> > > which generated it disappeared from the monitor. I have to reboot
> > the SQL
> > > Server to be estable again, but it doesn´t seem very kind in a
> > production
> > > scheme. I really need some advice about it.
> > > TIA
> >
> >
> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > David Wolf <dwolf@sybase.com>
> > Consultant
> > Sybase Professional Services
> >
> > David Wolf
> > Consultant <dwolf@sybase.com>
> > Sybase Professional Services HTML Mail
> > 6550 Rock Spring Drive Suite 800 Netscape Conference Address
> > Bethesda Netscape Conference DLS Server
> > MD
> > 20855
> > USA
> > Additional Information:
> > Last Name Wolf
> > First Name David
> > Version 2.1
>
> I've seen this behavior also, and often there is in fact a spid which
> ocassionaly is blocking another process. however 'Kill <missing spid>'
> does not work and we wind up rebooting also.
>
> Rob Eckert


Download VCard vcard.vcf