Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

XML Output Format

7 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2003-02-05 16:18:32.0Z
Mark Posted on 2003-02-03 22:41:07.0Z
From: Mark
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 17:41:07 -0500
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: XML Output Format
Message-ID: <03821AC68EA53F52007C9D3485256CC2.007C9D4285256CC2@webforums>
Lines: 9
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com!webforums.sybase.com!news
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:199
Article PK: 2018

I am trying to output a result set to XML format. The documentation says
it works something like this : Output to c:\test.xml Format XML

I try this but I get an Error : ***Error: invalid format "XML"

Is this feature broken or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Mark


Chris Keating Posted on 2003-02-04 01:52:57.0Z
From: "Chris Keating" <Spam_Free_keating@iAnywhere.com>
References: <03821AC68EA53F52007C9D3485256CC2.007C9D4285256CC2@webforums>
Subject: Re: XML Output Format
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 20:52:57 -0500
Lines: 24
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
Message-ID: <eT6tOL$yCHA.59@forums.sybase.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
NNTP-Posting-Host: CPE00045af8ce8c-CM012059936305.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com 24.156.62.193
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:198
Article PK: 2017

Please provide more detail...
What is the version of ASA that you are using?
What is the specific syntax that you are having problems with?

Can you try with the sample database the following:

select * from department;
output to c:\test.xml format 'XML';

/ck

<Mark> wrote in message
news:03821AC68EA53F52007C9D3485256CC2.007C9D4285256CC2@webforums...
> I am trying to output a result set to XML format. The documentation says
> it works something like this : Output to c:\test.xml Format XML
>
> I try this but I get an Error : ***Error: invalid format "XML"
>
> Is this feature broken or am I doing something wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark


Mark Posted on 2003-02-04 15:20:04.0Z
From: Mark
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:20:04 -0500
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: XML Output Format
Message-ID: <C7521878E84E96FE00543C4385256CC3.000E884585256CC3@webforums>
References: <03821AC68EA53F52007C9D3485256CC2.007C9D4285256CC2@webforums> <eT6tOL$yCHA.59@forums.sybase.com>
Lines: 16
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com!webforums.sybase.com!news
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:196
Article PK: 2019

Sorry. I am using ASA 8.0.1.3036.

Here's the deal. I tried running the statement you recommeded on the
asademo.db. :

select * from department;
output to c:\out.xml format 'XML';

This worked!

Then I tried running the same statement on my db (changing the name of the
table of course), and it failed with this error :

Error at line 1
*** Error : invalid format "XML"


failed_again Posted on 2003-02-05 16:01:57.0Z
From: failed_again
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 11:01:57 -0500
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: XML Output Format
Message-ID: <756965EBBCC73C5C005811BC85256CC4.0057AEE585256CC3@webforums>
References: <03821AC68EA53F52007C9D3485256CC2.007C9D4285256CC2@webforums> <eT6tOL$yCHA.59@forums.sybase.com> <C7521878E84E96FE00543C4385256CC3.000E884585256CC3@webforums>
Lines: 27
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com!webforums.sybase.com!news
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:187
Article PK: 2010

I've been trying to figure out what the difference is between my db and the
asademo that would make the output to c:\x.xml format 'XML' fail.

So, I tried dbinit-ing a new db and attempted to output a table to XML and
it failed also. Here are the steps I took :

c:\dbinit test.db

Then in ISQL:

create table "dba".customer(
firstname char(30),
lastname char(30)
);

insert into customer values('Barney','Rubble');

select * from customer;
output to c:\cusout.xml format 'XML';

I receive the same error as before :

Error at line 1
*** Error : invalid format "XML"


Any ideas?


Chris Keating Posted on 2003-02-05 16:18:32.0Z
From: "Chris Keating" <Fight_Spam_keating@iAnywhere.com>
References: <03821AC68EA53F52007C9D3485256CC2.007C9D4285256CC2@webforums> <eT6tOL$yCHA.59@forums.sybase.com> <C7521878E84E96FE00543C4385256CC3.000E884585256CC3@webforums> <756965EBBCC73C5C005811BC85256CC4.0057AEE585256CC3@webforums>
Subject: Re: XML Output Format
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 11:18:32 -0500
Lines: 46
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
Message-ID: <PlnplTTzCHA.198@forums.sybase.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.31.140.19
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:181
Article PK: 2001

Use DBISQL not DBISQLC

--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8
iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com

<failed_again> wrote in message
news:756965EBBCC73C5C005811BC85256CC4.0057AEE585256CC3@webforums...
> I've been trying to figure out what the difference is between my db and
the
> asademo that would make the output to c:\x.xml format 'XML' fail.
>
> So, I tried dbinit-ing a new db and attempted to output a table to XML and
> it failed also. Here are the steps I took :
>
> c:\dbinit test.db
>
> Then in ISQL:
>
> create table "dba".customer(
> firstname char(30),
> lastname char(30)
> );
>
> insert into customer values('Barney','Rubble');
>
> select * from customer;
> output to c:\cusout.xml format 'XML';
>
> I receive the same error as before :
>
> Error at line 1
> *** Error : invalid format "XML"
>
>
> Any ideas?


Chris Keating Posted on 2003-02-05 16:07:35.0Z
From: "Chris Keating" <Fight_Spam_keating@iAnywhere.com>
References: <03821AC68EA53F52007C9D3485256CC2.007C9D4285256CC2@webforums> <eT6tOL$yCHA.59@forums.sybase.com> <C7521878E84E96FE00543C4385256CC3.000E884585256CC3@webforums> <756965EBBCC73C5C005811BC85256CC4.0057AEE585256CC3@webforums>
Subject: Re: XML Output Format
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 11:07:35 -0500
Lines: 46
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
Message-ID: <8VaLeNTzCHA.362@forums.sybase.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.31.140.19
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:184
Article PK: 2006

What is your specific version and build?

--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8
iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com

<failed_again> wrote in message
news:756965EBBCC73C5C005811BC85256CC4.0057AEE585256CC3@webforums...
> I've been trying to figure out what the difference is between my db and
the
> asademo that would make the output to c:\x.xml format 'XML' fail.
>
> So, I tried dbinit-ing a new db and attempted to output a table to XML and
> it failed also. Here are the steps I took :
>
> c:\dbinit test.db
>
> Then in ISQL:
>
> create table "dba".customer(
> firstname char(30),
> lastname char(30)
> );
>
> insert into customer values('Barney','Rubble');
>
> select * from customer;
> output to c:\cusout.xml format 'XML';
>
> I receive the same error as before :
>
> Error at line 1
> *** Error : invalid format "XML"
>
>
> Any ideas?


Chris Keating Posted on 2003-02-05 16:08:15.0Z
From: "Chris Keating" <Fight_Spam_keating@iAnywhere.com>
References: <03821AC68EA53F52007C9D3485256CC2.007C9D4285256CC2@webforums> <eT6tOL$yCHA.59@forums.sybase.com> <C7521878E84E96FE00543C4385256CC3.000E884585256CC3@webforums> <756965EBBCC73C5C005811BC85256CC4.0057AEE585256CC3@webforums> <8VaLeNTzCHA.362@forums.sybase.com>
Subject: Re: XML Output Format
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 11:08:15 -0500
Lines: 65
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
Message-ID: <dPw31NTzCHA.312@forums.sybase.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.31.140.19
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:183
Article PK: 2004

Sorry, you already posted that info. Let me recheck this in that build.

--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8
iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com

"Chris Keating" <Fight_Spam_keating@iAnywhere.com> wrote in message
news:8VaLeNTzCHA.362@forums.sybase.com...
> What is your specific version and build?
>
> --
>
> Chris Keating
> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8
> iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com
>
> ** Please only post to the newsgroup
>
> ** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
> ** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
> ** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com
>
> <failed_again> wrote in message
> news:756965EBBCC73C5C005811BC85256CC4.0057AEE585256CC3@webforums...
> > I've been trying to figure out what the difference is between my db and
> the
> > asademo that would make the output to c:\x.xml format 'XML' fail.
> >
> > So, I tried dbinit-ing a new db and attempted to output a table to XML
and
> > it failed also. Here are the steps I took :
> >
> > c:\dbinit test.db
> >
> > Then in ISQL:
> >
> > create table "dba".customer(
> > firstname char(30),
> > lastname char(30)
> > );
> >
> > insert into customer values('Barney','Rubble');
> >
> > select * from customer;
> > output to c:\cusout.xml format 'XML';
> >
> > I receive the same error as before :
> >
> > Error at line 1
> > *** Error : invalid format "XML"
> >
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
>