Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

using escape

4 posts in General Discussion (old) Last posting was on 2000-02-23 23:05:26.0Z
S.Brooks Posted on 2000-02-23 14:51:00.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:51:00 -0500
From: "S.Brooks" <sbrooks@fnac-usa.com>
Reply-To: sbrooks@fnac-usa.com
Organization: FN
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.5 [en] (WinNT; I)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: using escape
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 31
NNTP-Posting-Host: 38.196.35.35
Message-ID: <347_38B3F3D3.D6F1AF96@fnac-usa.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:28082
Article PK: 159975

Hi,
I have a program that depending on certain circumstance it will
redirect to another stm passing it certain parameters... One of the
parameters is called firstname.
Here is my problem: if the value of first name is more than 1 word it
will not work, but if it is one word it will. Now I know the escape
function is supposed to fix this and it does, but...

when I redirect it to the stm I display the value firstname and I get
"This is a test"

This is correct. The link in the location area has
&firstname=this%20is%20a%20test

That is also correct I assume.

Now all of these parameters are put in as hidden variables on the form.
All the user needs to do is reverify that he is sure he wants to
complete the transaction.

If he says yes I get a 404 error.

Now I have deduced that this happens because of my firstname value

i have
<input type ="hidden" name="firstname" value="$firstname">
As i stated earlier if I display $firstname all is fine.

If they hit yes for continue...

the location link no states

....&firstname=this is a test....
There is no escape codes or anything or plus to string them together and
I do not understand why.

Any thoughts?
thanks
samantha


Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase] Posted on 2000-02-23 16:53:37.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase]" <mike.nicewarner@ibpinc.com>
Subject: Re: using escape
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:53:37 -0600
Lines: 55
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
NNTP-Posting-Host: secure.ibpinc.com 198.133.192.2
Message-ID: <347_XMWkj8hf$GA.151@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_38B3F3D3.D6F1AF96@fnac-usa.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:28054
Article PK: 159948

Could you post more of the code you are using? Are you building the INPUT
statement in a script?

--

Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase]
mailto:mike.nicewarner@ibpinc.com
http://www.datamodel.org

S.Brooks <sbrooks@fnac-usa.com> wrote in message
news:38B3F3D3.D6F1AF96@fnac-usa.com...
> Hi,
> I have a program that depending on certain circumstance it will
> redirect to another stm passing it certain parameters... One of the
> parameters is called firstname.
> Here is my problem: if the value of first name is more than 1 word it
> will not work, but if it is one word it will. Now I know the escape
> function is supposed to fix this and it does, but...
>
> when I redirect it to the stm I display the value firstname and I get
> "This is a test"
>
> This is correct. The link in the location area has
> &firstname=this%20is%20a%20test
>
> That is also correct I assume.
>
> Now all of these parameters are put in as hidden variables on the form.
> All the user needs to do is reverify that he is sure he wants to
> complete the transaction.
>
> If he says yes I get a 404 error.
>
> Now I have deduced that this happens because of my firstname value
>
> i have
> <input type ="hidden" name="firstname" value="$firstname">
> As i stated earlier if I display $firstname all is fine.
>
> If they hit yes for continue...
>
> the location link no states
>
> ....&firstname=this is a test....
> There is no escape codes or anything or plus to string them together and
> I do not understand why.
>
> Any thoughts?
> thanks
> samantha
>
>


S.Brooks Posted on 2000-02-23 20:09:06.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 15:09:06 -0500
From: "S.Brooks" <sbrooks@fnac-usa.com>
Reply-To: sbrooks@fnac-usa.com
Organization: FN
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.5 [en] (WinNT; I)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: using escape
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 100
NNTP-Posting-Host: 38.196.35.35
Message-ID: <347_38B43E62.171B3B95@fnac-usa.com>
References: <347_38B3F3D3.D6F1AF96@fnac-usa.com> <347_XMWkj8hf$GA.151@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:28025
Article PK: 159923

Hi,
Here is the code that sends it to the stm...

document.redirect = "rusure.stm?condate=" + condate
+'&year='+year+'&pickdate='+pickdate +
'&starttime='+starttime+'&endtime='+endtime+
'&email='+email+'&body='+body+'&error='+escape(error)+
'&subject='+subject+'&thetype='+thetype+
'&firstname='+escape(who)+'&first_month='

Here is the code in the stm.

<h1 align="center" <span style="background-color: #0000FF">
<font color="#FFCC66">
<b>For Date:$condate</b></font></h1>

<FORM ACTION="update.ssc" NAME="log" METHOD="GET">

<input type="hidden" NAME="condate" VALUE="$condate">
<input type="hidden" NAME="pickdate" VALUE="$pickdate">
<input type="hidden" NAME="year" VALUE="$year">
<input type="hidden" NAME="starttime" VALUE="$starttime">
<input type="hidden" NAME="endtime" VALUE="$endtime">
<input type="hidden" NAME="year" VALUE="$year">
<input type="hidden" NAME="email" VALUE="$email">
<input type="hidden" NAME="body" VALUE="$body">
<input type="hidden" NAME="subject" VALUE="$subject">
<input type="hidden" NAME="thetype" VALUE="$thetype">
<input type="hidden" NAME="firstname" VALUE="$firstname">



<p align="center"><b><font color="#0000FF">$error</font></b></p>
<p align="center">
<a href="update.ssc?condate=$condate&year=$year&pickdate=$pickdate
&starttime=$starttime&endtime=$endtime&email=$email&body=$body
&subject=$subject&thetype=$thetype&firstname=$firstname&first_month=">
<font color="#FF0000"><b>YES</b></font></a></P>
<p align="center"><a
href="three_months.ssc?first_month=&year=&pickdate=&condate=$condate">
<font color="#FF0000"><B>DO NOT SCHEDULE</b></font></a></P>
</form>

I think I have found the problem. I do not have a submit button on this
form. I only used the form to hold the hidden values passed in the
document.redirect. If they click
Yes then it goes to update.ssc.. with all the attatched parameters, but it
does not
accomodate for more than a 1 word value. It is the only thing I have come up
with.
I did attempt to put a submit button in, but I still got the 404 error.

I can rewrite the code to be in script form but I am hoping to avoid that.
Any ideas
Samantha

"Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase]" wrote:

> Could you post more of the code you are using? Are you building the INPUT
> statement in a script?
>
> --
>
> Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase]
> mailto:mike.nicewarner@ibpinc.com
> http://www.datamodel.org
>
> S.Brooks <sbrooks@fnac-usa.com> wrote in message
> news:38B3F3D3.D6F1AF96@fnac-usa.com...
> > Hi,
> > I have a program that depending on certain circumstance it will
> > redirect to another stm passing it certain parameters... One of the
> > parameters is called firstname.
> > Here is my problem: if the value of first name is more than 1 word it
> > will not work, but if it is one word it will. Now I know the escape
> > function is supposed to fix this and it does, but...
> >
> > when I redirect it to the stm I display the value firstname and I get
> > "This is a test"
> >
> > This is correct. The link in the location area has
> > &firstname=this%20is%20a%20test
> >
> > That is also correct I assume.
> >
> > Now all of these parameters are put in as hidden variables on the form.
> > All the user needs to do is reverify that he is sure he wants to
> > complete the transaction.
> >
> > If he says yes I get a 404 error.
> >
> > Now I have deduced that this happens because of my firstname value
> >
> > i have
> > <input type ="hidden" name="firstname" value="$firstname">
> > As i stated earlier if I display $firstname all is fine.
> >
> > If they hit yes for continue...
> >
> > the location link no states
> >
> > ....&firstname=this is a test....
> > There is no escape codes or anything or plus to string them together and
> > I do not understand why.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> > thanks
> > samantha
> >
> >


Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase] Posted on 2000-02-23 23:05:26.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase]" <mike.nicewarner@ibpinc.com>
Subject: Re: using escape
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:05:26 -0600
Lines: 143
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
NNTP-Posting-Host: secure.ibpinc.com 198.133.192.2
Message-ID: <347_2GHbUMlf$GA.265@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_38B3F3D3.D6F1AF96@fnac-usa.com> <347_XMWkj8hf$GA.151@forums.sybase.com> <347_38B43E62.171B3B95@fnac-usa.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27991
Article PK: 159894

To take advantage of the escape() function, I would put your STM statements
into a <!--SCRIPT--> tag. Then the <A HREF> code would be:
document.writeln('<a href="update.ssc?condate=' + document.value.condate +
'&year='
+ document.value.year + '&pickdate=' + document.value.pickdate
+ '&starttime=' + document.value.starttime + '&endtime=' +
document.value.endtime
+ '&email=' + document.value.email + '&body=' + document.value.body
+ '&subject=' + document.value.subject + '&thetype=' +
document.value.thetype
+ '&firstname=' + escape(document.value.firstname) + '&first_month="');

I just put the escape() on the firstname field. You should put it on any
field that needs it. This should take care of the one-word issues.

--

Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase]
mailto:mike.nicewarner@ibpinc.com
http://www.datamodel.org

S.Brooks <sbrooks@fnac-usa.com> wrote in message
news:38B43E62.171B3B95@fnac-usa.com...
> Hi,
> Here is the code that sends it to the stm...
>
> document.redirect = "rusure.stm?condate=" + condate
> +'&year='+year+'&pickdate='+pickdate +
> '&starttime='+starttime+'&endtime='+endtime+
> '&email='+email+'&body='+body+'&error='+escape(error)+
> '&subject='+subject+'&thetype='+thetype+
> '&firstname='+escape(who)+'&first_month='
>
> Here is the code in the stm.
>
> <h1 align="center" <span style="background-color: #0000FF">
> <font color="#FFCC66">
> <b>For Date:$condate</b></font></h1>
>
> <FORM ACTION="update.ssc" NAME="log" METHOD="GET">
>
> <input type="hidden" NAME="condate" VALUE="$condate">
> <input type="hidden" NAME="pickdate" VALUE="$pickdate">
> <input type="hidden" NAME="year" VALUE="$year">
> <input type="hidden" NAME="starttime" VALUE="$starttime">
> <input type="hidden" NAME="endtime" VALUE="$endtime">
> <input type="hidden" NAME="year" VALUE="$year">
> <input type="hidden" NAME="email" VALUE="$email">
> <input type="hidden" NAME="body" VALUE="$body">
> <input type="hidden" NAME="subject" VALUE="$subject">
> <input type="hidden" NAME="thetype" VALUE="$thetype">
> <input type="hidden" NAME="firstname" VALUE="$firstname">
>
>
>
> <p align="center"><b><font color="#0000FF">$error</font></b></p>
> <p align="center">
> <a href="update.ssc?condate=$condate&year=$year&pickdate=$pickdate
> &starttime=$starttime&endtime=$endtime&email=$email&body=$body
> &subject=$subject&thetype=$thetype&firstname=$firstname&first_month=">
> <font color="#FF0000"><b>YES</b></font></a></P>
> <p align="center"><a
> href="three_months.ssc?first_month=&year=&pickdate=&condate=$condate">
> <font color="#FF0000"><B>DO NOT SCHEDULE</b></font></a></P>
> </form>
>
> I think I have found the problem. I do not have a submit button on this
> form. I only used the form to hold the hidden values passed in the
> document.redirect. If they click
> Yes then it goes to update.ssc.. with all the attatched parameters, but it
> does not
> accomodate for more than a 1 word value. It is the only thing I have come
up
> with.
> I did attempt to put a submit button in, but I still got the 404 error.
>
> I can rewrite the code to be in script form but I am hoping to avoid that.
> Any ideas
> Samantha
>
>
>
> "Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase]" wrote:
>
> > Could you post more of the code you are using? Are you building the
INPUT
> > statement in a script?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase]
> > mailto:mike.nicewarner@ibpinc.com
> > http://www.datamodel.org
> >
> > S.Brooks <sbrooks@fnac-usa.com> wrote in message
> > news:38B3F3D3.D6F1AF96@fnac-usa.com...
> > > Hi,
> > > I have a program that depending on certain circumstance it will
> > > redirect to another stm passing it certain parameters... One of the
> > > parameters is called firstname.
> > > Here is my problem: if the value of first name is more than 1 word it
> > > will not work, but if it is one word it will. Now I know the escape
> > > function is supposed to fix this and it does, but...
> > >
> > > when I redirect it to the stm I display the value firstname and I get
> > > "This is a test"
> > >
> > > This is correct. The link in the location area has
> > > &firstname=this%20is%20a%20test
> > >
> > > That is also correct I assume.
> > >
> > > Now all of these parameters are put in as hidden variables on the
form.
> > > All the user needs to do is reverify that he is sure he wants to
> > > complete the transaction.
> > >
> > > If he says yes I get a 404 error.
> > >
> > > Now I have deduced that this happens because of my firstname value
> > >
> > > i have
> > > <input type ="hidden" name="firstname" value="$firstname">
> > > As i stated earlier if I display $firstname all is fine.
> > >
> > > If they hit yes for continue...
> > >
> > > the location link no states
> > >
> > > ....&firstname=this is a test....
> > > There is no escape codes or anything or plus to string them together
and
> > > I do not understand why.
> > >
> > > Any thoughts?
> > > thanks
> > > samantha
> > >
> > >
>