Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Jaguar to DB2 UDB

4 posts in General Discussion (old) Last posting was on 2000-02-15 17:23:02.0Z
Roland Cuellar Posted on 2000-02-14 22:46:38.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: rolandc@pobox.com (Roland Cuellar)
Subject: Jaguar to DB2 UDB
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 22:46:38 GMT
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.21/32.243
Lines: 8
NNTP-Posting-Host: ppp-2.ts-2.sjc.idt.net 169.132.158.74
Message-ID: <347_38a88574.708219750@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:28705
Article PK: 160829

My customer is asking if Jaguar can talk to DB2 UDB. I told them that

I think it is possible. Has anyone does this before? Is it
troublesome? I suppose you would create an ODBC connection to it
and adjust any SQL accordingly. Is that all there is to it?

thank you,
Roland Cuellar


Jim O'Neil [Sybase] Posted on 2000-02-14 23:19:27.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 18:19:27 -0500
From: "Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com>
Organization: Sybase, Inc.
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.7 [en]C-CCK-MCD (WinNT; U)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: Jaguar to DB2 UDB
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 14
NNTP-Posting-Host: joneil-nt.sybase.com 204.167.42.111
Message-ID: <347_38A88D7F.EF3343CA@sybase.com>
References: <347_38a88574.708219750@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:28702
Article PK: 154705


Roland Cuellar wrote:

> My customer is asking if Jaguar can talk to DB2 UDB. I told them that
>
> I think it is possible. Has anyone does this before? Is it
> troublesome? I suppose you would create an ODBC connection to it
> and adjust any SQL accordingly. Is that all there is to it?
>
> thank you,
> Roland Cuellar

I've done it here on a limited basis. JDBC is also an option here. I'm
not sure why you think you need to adjust the SQL though?
--
Jim O'Neil
Senior Technical Support Engineer
Sybase, Inc


Roland Cuellar Posted on 2000-02-15 00:33:48.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: rolandc@pobox.com (Roland Cuellar)
Subject: Re: Jaguar to DB2 UDB
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 00:33:48 GMT
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.21/32.243
Lines: 22
NNTP-Posting-Host: ppp-40.ts-2.sjc.idt.net 169.132.158.112
Message-ID: <347_38a89e8f.714646203@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_38a88574.708219750@forums.sybase.com> <347_38A88D7F.EF3343CA@sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:28684
Article PK: 160812

Thanks for the quick response. I thought that some of the code
to build the tables, set data types and constraints etc might be a
little different between Sybase and DB2. Thanks again.

Roland Cuellar

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 18:19:27 -0500, "Jim O'Neil [Sybase]"

<joneil@sybase.com> wrote:

>Roland Cuellar wrote:
>
>> My customer is asking if Jaguar can talk to DB2 UDB. I told them that
>>
>> I think it is possible. Has anyone does this before? Is it
>> troublesome? I suppose you would create an ODBC connection to it
>> and adjust any SQL accordingly. Is that all there is to it?
>>
>> thank you,
>> Roland Cuellar
>
>I've done it here on a limited basis. JDBC is also an option here. I'm
>not sure why you think you need to adjust the SQL though?
>--
>Jim O'Neil
>Senior Technical Support Engineer
>Sybase, Inc
>
>


Jim O'Neil [Sybase] Posted on 2000-02-15 17:23:02.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 12:23:02 -0500
From: "Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com>
Organization: Sybase, Inc.
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.7 [en]C-CCK-MCD (WinNT; U)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: Jaguar to DB2 UDB
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 32
NNTP-Posting-Host: joneil-nt.sybase.com 204.167.42.111
Message-ID: <347_38A98B76.B7AB14F4@sybase.com>
References: <347_38a88574.708219750@forums.sybase.com> <347_38A88D7F.EF3343CA@sybase.com> <347_38a89e8f.714646203@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:28642
Article PK: 160774


Roland Cuellar wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response. I thought that some of the code
> to build the tables, set data types and constraints etc might be a
> little different between Sybase and DB2. Thanks again.
>
> Roland Cuellar
>
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 18:19:27 -0500, "Jim O'Neil [Sybase]"
> <joneil@sybase.com> wrote:
>
> >Roland Cuellar wrote:
> >
> >> My customer is asking if Jaguar can talk to DB2 UDB. I told them that
> >>
> >> I think it is possible. Has anyone does this before? Is it
> >> troublesome? I suppose you would create an ODBC connection to it
> >> and adjust any SQL accordingly. Is that all there is to it?
> >>
> >> thank you,
> >> Roland Cuellar
> >
> >I've done it here on a limited basis. JDBC is also an option here. I'm
> >not sure why you think you need to adjust the SQL though?
> >--
> >Jim O'Neil
> >Senior Technical Support Engineer
> >Sybase, Inc
> >
> >

WELL, you didn't mention Sybase before - so yes you will run into a number of
differences between the DBMS - especially if you are using things like stored
procedures, but those differences that you'll face really fall outside of the
realm of using EAServer.
--
Jim O'Neil
Senior Technical Support Engineer
Sybase, Inc