Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

SELECTBLOB problem with Jag and MSSQL Server

8 posts in General Discussion (old) Last posting was on 2000-03-11 03:52:49.0Z
Eric Pearson Posted on 2000-03-10 18:11:57.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Eric Pearson" <epearson@jps.net>
Subject: SELECTBLOB problem with Jag and MSSQL Server
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 10:11:57 -0800
Lines: 13
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
NNTP-Posting-Host: 64.14.6.154
Message-ID: <347_5mXY2zri$GA.302@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:26650
Article PK: 154417

SelectBlob is failing in my PB component in Jaguar. It actually puts the
Jaguar server into a dead state (no more data comes out of it and it must be
restarted) I have tried this against Jag 3.0.1 and Jag 3.5 (we have both set
up right now since we are about to migrate). Is this a problem with the
ODBC and MSSQL Server? We are going to be changing our db over to Oracle
soon. Am I insane for thinking that maybe the problem would subside after
switching db's and going to native driver from jag rather than odbc?


Thanks
Eric


Brian P. Surratt Posted on 2000-03-10 19:07:16.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Brian P. Surratt" <brian.surratt@bigfoot.com>
Subject: Re: SELECTBLOB problem with Jag and MSSQL Server
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 14:07:16 -0500
Lines: 44
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
NNTP-Posting-Host: surratt88.ft89.upmc.edu 128.147.89.88
Message-ID: <347_OnDPUSsi$GA.302@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_5mXY2zri$GA.302@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:26645
Article PK: 157646

Eric,

I saw the same problem w/ PB 7, EA Server 3.01 and MSSQL 6.5. I don't
recall having to restart EAS. It simply blew the component out of the
server memory. This only happened w/ a connection cache; it does not
happen w/ a PB traditional connection.

In my case, the SELECTBLOB did not need to be part of a transaction, so I
simply made a new transaction object and connected directly to the database.
This used the same ODBC DSN as the cache so I didn't have to maintain to
configurations.

I have a pooled component that all it does is read blobs from the database.
It keeps the connection to the database open, but there is only one or two
around at a time. In the activate event I simulate the connection cache
sanity check by doing "SELECT 1 FROM myblobtable". If this fails I
disconnect and reconnect the transaction object.

We have an issue open w/ Sybase about this, but I have not had time to try
the old code using the connection cache since 3.5 came out. I'll see if I
can test it some time soon and post the results.

Hope this helps.
Brian

Eric Pearson <epearson@jps.net> wrote in message
news:5mXY2zri$GA.302@forums.sybase.com...
> SelectBlob is failing in my PB component in Jaguar. It actually puts the
> Jaguar server into a dead state (no more data comes out of it and it must
be
> restarted) I have tried this against Jag 3.0.1 and Jag 3.5 (we have both
set
> up right now since we are about to migrate). Is this a problem with the
> ODBC and MSSQL Server? We are going to be changing our db over to Oracle
> soon. Am I insane for thinking that maybe the problem would subside after
> switching db's and going to native driver from jag rather than odbc?
>
>
> Thanks
> Eric
>
>


Dave Wolf [Sybase] Posted on 2000-03-10 19:15:37.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Dave Wolf [Sybase]" <dwolf@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: SELECTBLOB problem with Jag and MSSQL Server
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 14:15:37 -0500
Lines: 62
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-eme-053.sybase.com 130.214.8.53
Message-ID: <347_PQdlbWsi$GA.111@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_5mXY2zri$GA.302@forums.sybase.com> <347_OnDPUSsi$GA.302@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:26644
Article PK: 157645

I think the issue is this. When we interrogate the ODBC driver to ask how
large the column is, it tells use 2GB. We then try to allocated 2GB buffer
and blammo. This has been an issue for a long time, but never escalated.
Id escalate, or try another type of driver than ODBC

Dave Wolf
Internet Applications Division

"Brian P. Surratt" <brian.surratt@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news:OnDPUSsi$GA.302@forums.sybase.com...
> Eric,
>
> I saw the same problem w/ PB 7, EA Server 3.01 and MSSQL 6.5. I don't
> recall having to restart EAS. It simply blew the component out of the
> server memory. This only happened w/ a connection cache; it does not
> happen w/ a PB traditional connection.
>
> In my case, the SELECTBLOB did not need to be part of a transaction, so I
> simply made a new transaction object and connected directly to the
database.
> This used the same ODBC DSN as the cache so I didn't have to maintain to
> configurations.
>
> I have a pooled component that all it does is read blobs from the
database.
> It keeps the connection to the database open, but there is only one or two
> around at a time. In the activate event I simulate the connection cache
> sanity check by doing "SELECT 1 FROM myblobtable". If this fails I
> disconnect and reconnect the transaction object.
>
> We have an issue open w/ Sybase about this, but I have not had time to try
> the old code using the connection cache since 3.5 came out. I'll see if I
> can test it some time soon and post the results.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Brian
>
> Eric Pearson <epearson@jps.net> wrote in message
> news:5mXY2zri$GA.302@forums.sybase.com...
> > SelectBlob is failing in my PB component in Jaguar. It actually puts
the
> > Jaguar server into a dead state (no more data comes out of it and it
must
> be
> > restarted) I have tried this against Jag 3.0.1 and Jag 3.5 (we have both
> set
> > up right now since we are about to migrate). Is this a problem with the
> > ODBC and MSSQL Server? We are going to be changing our db over to
Oracle
> > soon. Am I insane for thinking that maybe the problem would subside
after
> > switching db's and going to native driver from jag rather than odbc?
> >
> >
> > Thanks
> > Eric
> >
> >
>
>


Brian P. Surratt Posted on 2000-03-10 19:20:06.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Brian P. Surratt" <brian.surratt@bigfoot.com>
Subject: Re: SELECTBLOB problem with Jag and MSSQL Server
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 14:20:06 -0500
Lines: 19
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
NNTP-Posting-Host: surratt88.ft89.upmc.edu 128.147.89.88
Message-ID: <347_DGlUfZsi$GA.202@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_5mXY2zri$GA.302@forums.sybase.com> <347_OnDPUSsi$GA.302@forums.sybase.com> <347_PQdlbWsi$GA.111@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:26640
Article PK: 157640

I'll take that under consideration.....

Just out of curiosity, is "blammo" a technical term or simply internal
Sybase jargon?

Dave Wolf [Sybase] <dwolf@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:PQdlbWsi$GA.111@forums.sybase.com...
> I think the issue is this. When we interrogate the ODBC driver to ask how
> large the column is, it tells use 2GB. We then try to allocated 2GB
buffer
> and blammo. This has been an issue for a long time, but never escalated.
> Id escalate, or try another type of driver than ODBC
>
> Dave Wolf
> Internet Applications Division


Dave Wolf [Sybase] Posted on 2000-03-10 19:41:17.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Dave Wolf [Sybase]" <dwolf@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: SELECTBLOB problem with Jag and MSSQL Server
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 14:41:17 -0500
Lines: 32
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-eme-053.sybase.com 130.214.8.53
Message-ID: <347_lb7Kxksi$GA.302@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_5mXY2zri$GA.302@forums.sybase.com> <347_OnDPUSsi$GA.302@forums.sybase.com> <347_PQdlbWsi$GA.111@forums.sybase.com> <347_DGlUfZsi$GA.202@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:26638
Article PK: 157639

Isnt it a new java package?

javax.blammo.* ?

Dave Wolf
Internet Applications Division

"Brian P. Surratt" <brian.surratt@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news:DGlUfZsi$GA.202@forums.sybase.com...
> I'll take that under consideration.....
>
> Just out of curiosity, is "blammo" a technical term or simply internal
> Sybase jargon?
>
>
> Dave Wolf [Sybase] <dwolf@sybase.com> wrote in message
> news:PQdlbWsi$GA.111@forums.sybase.com...
> > I think the issue is this. When we interrogate the ODBC driver to ask
how
> > large the column is, it tells use 2GB. We then try to allocated 2GB
> buffer
> > and blammo. This has been an issue for a long time, but never
escalated.
> > Id escalate, or try another type of driver than ODBC
> >
> > Dave Wolf
> > Internet Applications Division
>
>
>


Brian P. Surratt Posted on 2000-03-10 19:45:25.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Brian P. Surratt" <brian.surratt@bigfoot.com>
Subject: Re: SELECTBLOB problem with Jag and MSSQL Server
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 14:45:25 -0500
Lines: 12
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
NNTP-Posting-Host: surratt88.ft89.upmc.edu 128.147.89.88
Message-ID: <347_XT$xonsi$GA.74@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_5mXY2zri$GA.302@forums.sybase.com> <347_OnDPUSsi$GA.302@forums.sybase.com> <347_PQdlbWsi$GA.111@forums.sybase.com> <347_DGlUfZsi$GA.202@forums.sybase.com> <347_lb7Kxksi$GA.302@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:26636
Article PK: 157638


Dave Wolf [Sybase] <dwolf@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:lb7Kxksi$GA.302@forums.sybase.com...
> Isnt it a new java package?
>
> javax.blammo.* ?
>

I stand corrected.... thanks for the laugh


Eric Pearson Posted on 2000-03-10 21:00:05.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Eric Pearson" <epearson@jps.net>
Subject: Re: SELECTBLOB problem with Jag and MSSQL Server
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 13:00:05 -0800
Lines: 23
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
NNTP-Posting-Host: 64.14.6.154
Message-ID: <347_WrdiuRti$GA.251@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_5mXY2zri$GA.302@forums.sybase.com> <347_OnDPUSsi$GA.302@forums.sybase.com> <347_PQdlbWsi$GA.111@forums.sybase.com> <347_DGlUfZsi$GA.202@forums.sybase.com> <347_lb7Kxksi$GA.302@forums.sybase.com> <347_XT$xonsi$GA.74@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:26621
Article PK: 157624

Thank you both very much. And BTW - BLAMMO! (a derivation of WHAMMO!) is a
trademarked term from the Batman Action Series

Thanks again
Eric

Brian P. Surratt <brian.surratt@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news:XT$xonsi$GA.74@forums.sybase.com...
> Dave Wolf [Sybase] <dwolf@sybase.com> wrote in message
> news:lb7Kxksi$GA.302@forums.sybase.com...
> > Isnt it a new java package?
> >
> > javax.blammo.* ?
> >
>
>
> I stand corrected.... thanks for the laugh
>
>
>


Larry Cermak[Team Sybase] Posted on 2000-03-11 03:52:49.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Larry Cermak[Team Sybase]" <lcermak@ctpartners.com>
Subject: Re: SELECTBLOB problem with Jag and MSSQL Server
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 21:52:49 -0600
Lines: 39
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-Mimeole: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: node6.dhcpchi.dslspeed.zyan.com 208.41.199.6
Message-ID: <347_8tnBM6wi$GA.302@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_5mXY2zri$GA.302@forums.sybase.com> <347_OnDPUSsi$GA.302@forums.sybase.com> <347_PQdlbWsi$GA.111@forums.sybase.com> <347_DGlUfZsi$GA.202@forums.sybase.com> <347_lb7Kxksi$GA.302@forums.sybase.com> <347_XT$xonsi$GA.74@forums.sybase.com> <347_WrdiuRti$GA.251@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:26600
Article PK: 157605

Eric you're not old enough to remember Batman<g>.

--

Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]
Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
www.ctpartners.com
Web DataWindow Articles
(http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1001708)

"Eric Pearson" <epearson@jps.net> wrote in message
news:WrdiuRti$GA.251@forums.sybase.com...
> Thank you both very much. And BTW - BLAMMO! (a derivation of WHAMMO!) is
a
> trademarked term from the Batman Action Series
>
> Thanks again
> Eric
>
>
> Brian P. Surratt <brian.surratt@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> news:XT$xonsi$GA.74@forums.sybase.com...
> > Dave Wolf [Sybase] <dwolf@sybase.com> wrote in message
> > news:lb7Kxksi$GA.302@forums.sybase.com...
> > > Isnt it a new java package?
> > >
> > > javax.blammo.* ?
> > >
> >
> >
> > I stand corrected.... thanks for the laugh
> >
> >
> >
>
>