Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

SSL Certificates

7 posts in General Discussion (old) Last posting was on 2000-03-16 07:06:29.0Z
bhando Posted on 2000-03-14 22:31:05.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
Reply-To: <bhando@home.com>
From: <bhando@home.com>
Subject: SSL Certificates
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:31:05 -0600
Lines: 8
Organization: Manitoba Education
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: 24.66.48.176.mb.wave.home.com 24.66.48.176
Message-ID: <347_IIUxvagj$GA.151@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:26414
Article PK: 157083

can one use certificates with powerdynamo/asa alone, ie not using jaguar.

if so can someone give me the readers digest version of how/where to use one
in a pd website.

barrie


Dave Wolf [Sybase] Posted on 2000-03-14 22:48:52.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Dave Wolf [Sybase]" <dwolf@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: SSL Certificates
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 17:48:52 -0500
Lines: 18
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-eme-056.sybase.com 130.214.8.56
Message-ID: <347_J4fZVggj$GA.151@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_IIUxvagj$GA.151@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:26413
Article PK: 157081

Since PD runs inside another web server if that server supports SSL PD
inherits it.

Dave Wolf
Internet Applications Division

<bhando@home.com> wrote in message news:IIUxvagj$GA.151@forums.sybase.com...
> can one use certificates with powerdynamo/asa alone, ie not using jaguar.
>
> if so can someone give me the readers digest version of how/where to use
one
> in a pd website.
>
> barrie
>
>


bhando Posted on 2000-03-15 11:57:02.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
Reply-To: <bhando@home.com>
From: <bhando@home.com>
Subject: Re: SSL Certificates
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 05:57:02 -0600
Lines: 40
Organization: Manitoba Education
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: 24.66.48.176.mb.wave.home.com 24.66.48.176
Message-ID: <347_SfEFJdnj$GA.261@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_IIUxvagj$GA.151@forums.sybase.com> <347_J4fZVggj$GA.151@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:26388
Article PK: 157055

thanks for the quick response.

so if i am understanding you then, i will need something like apache or iis
+ pd/asa to make this work.

i have been currently making a web app using personal web server/pd/asa. i
was under the impression pd and pws were one.

please confirm this for me as well ,

iis talks to dynamo dynamo talks to jag and asa

thanks

"Dave Wolf [Sybase]" <dwolf@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:J4fZVggj$GA.151@forums.sybase.com...
> Since PD runs inside another web server if that server supports SSL PD
> inherits it.
>
> Dave Wolf
> Internet Applications Division
>
> <bhando@home.com> wrote in message
news:IIUxvagj$GA.151@forums.sybase.com...
> > can one use certificates with powerdynamo/asa alone, ie not using
jaguar.
> >
> > if so can someone give me the readers digest version of how/where to use
> one
> > in a pd website.
> >
> > barrie
> >
> >
>
>


Lance Andersen Posted on 2000-03-15 12:46:07.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 07:46:07 -0500
From: Lance Andersen <lancea@sybase.com>
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.72 [en] (X11; U; SunOS 5.7 sun4u)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: SSL Certificates
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 47
NNTP-Posting-Host: alder.sybase.com 157.133.125.15
Message-ID: <347_38CF860F.C8EE54CA@sybase.com>
References: <347_IIUxvagj$GA.151@forums.sybase.com> <347_J4fZVggj$GA.151@forums.sybase.com> <347_SfEFJdnj$GA.261@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:26384
Article PK: 157051

PWS is provided for testing not for deployment. For production you need
an industrial strength webserver.

You can think of PD running side-by-side with your webserver. You
communicate with your webserver which directs requests (via an API or
CGI) to PD, PD processes the script and then returns data to the client
browser.

Again the above is a very simplistic overview.

Lance

bhando@home.com wrote:
>
> thanks for the quick response.
>
> so if i am understanding you then, i will need something like apache or iis
> + pd/asa to make this work.
>
> i have been currently making a web app using personal web server/pd/asa. i
> was under the impression pd and pws were one.
>
> please confirm this for me as well ,
>
> iis talks to dynamo dynamo talks to jag and asa
>
> thanks
>
> "Dave Wolf [Sybase]" <dwolf@sybase.com> wrote in message
> news:J4fZVggj$GA.151@forums.sybase.com...
> > Since PD runs inside another web server if that server supports SSL PD
> > inherits it.
> >
> > Dave Wolf
> > Internet Applications Division
> >
> > <bhando@home.com> wrote in message
> news:IIUxvagj$GA.151@forums.sybase.com...
> > > can one use certificates with powerdynamo/asa alone, ie not using
> jaguar.
> > >
> > > if so can someone give me the readers digest version of how/where to use
> > one
> > > in a pd website.
> > >
> > > barrie
> > >
> > >
> >
> >

--
===============================================================================
Lance J. Andersen Email: lancea@sybase.com
Sybase Product Support Engineering Phone:(781) 564-6336
77 South Bedford Street Fax: (781) 564-7001
Burlington, MA 01803

The Dark Knight Returns!!! Let's Go Penguins!!!
===============================================================================


Dave Wolf [Sybase] Posted on 2000-03-15 15:04:02.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Dave Wolf [Sybase]" <dwolf@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: SSL Certificates
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:04:02 -0500
Lines: 83
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: dwolf-nt.sybase.com 157.133.41.72
Message-ID: <347_u$4kOBpj$GA.261@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_IIUxvagj$GA.151@forums.sybase.com> <347_J4fZVggj$GA.151@forums.sybase.com> <347_SfEFJdnj$GA.261@forums.sybase.com> <347_38CF860F.C8EE54CA@sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:26376
Article PK: 157045

As a less simplistic overview.

PD is really a page engine. It plusg into web servers either via NSAPI,
ISAPI or SGI. The personal web server is a simple web server that the PD
page engine "plugs into". This is done automatically for you by us.

If you use IIS or Netscape the installer can automatically configure those
servers to add the power dynamo plugin.

Dave Wolf
Internet Applications Division

"Lance Andersen" <lancea@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:38CF860F.C8EE54CA@sybase.com...
> PWS is provided for testing not for deployment. For production you need
> an industrial strength webserver.
>
> You can think of PD running side-by-side with your webserver. You
> communicate with your webserver which directs requests (via an API or
> CGI) to PD, PD processes the script and then returns data to the client
> browser.
>
> Again the above is a very simplistic overview.
>
> Lance
>
> bhando@home.com wrote:
> >
> > thanks for the quick response.
> >
> > so if i am understanding you then, i will need something like apache or
iis
> > + pd/asa to make this work.
> >
> > i have been currently making a web app using personal web server/pd/asa.
i
> > was under the impression pd and pws were one.
> >
> > please confirm this for me as well ,
> >
> > iis talks to dynamo dynamo talks to jag and asa
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > "Dave Wolf [Sybase]" <dwolf@sybase.com> wrote in message
> > news:J4fZVggj$GA.151@forums.sybase.com...
> > > Since PD runs inside another web server if that server supports SSL PD
> > > inherits it.
> > >
> > > Dave Wolf
> > > Internet Applications Division
> > >
> > > <bhando@home.com> wrote in message
> > news:IIUxvagj$GA.151@forums.sybase.com...
> > > > can one use certificates with powerdynamo/asa alone, ie not using
> > jaguar.
> > > >
> > > > if so can someone give me the readers digest version of how/where to
use
> > > one
> > > > in a pd website.
> > > >
> > > > barrie
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
>
> --
>

============================================================================
===
> Lance J. Andersen Email: lancea@sybase.com
> Sybase Product Support Engineering Phone:(781) 564-6336
> 77 South Bedford Street Fax: (781) 564-7001
> Burlington, MA 01803
>
> The Dark Knight Returns!!! Let's Go Penguins!!!
>
============================================================================
===


bhando Posted on 2000-03-16 00:44:17.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
Reply-To: <bhando@home.com>
From: <bhando@home.com>
Subject: Re: SSL Certificates
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 18:44:17 -0600
Lines: 105
Organization: Manitoba Education
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: 24.66.48.176.mb.wave.home.com 24.66.48.176
Message-ID: <347_yy#B4Juj$GA.285@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_IIUxvagj$GA.151@forums.sybase.com> <347_J4fZVggj$GA.151@forums.sybase.com> <347_SfEFJdnj$GA.261@forums.sybase.com> <347_38CF860F.C8EE54CA@sybase.com> <347_u$4kOBpj$GA.261@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:26324
Article PK: 156991

thanks for the responses

does anyone know if the apache 1.3 will work with dynamo.

i just started looking into which web server to use, and boy could i use a
simple-to-setup/manage one. any thoughts

i was looking iis or apache so far.

barrie

"Dave Wolf [Sybase]" <dwolf@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:u$4kOBpj$GA.261@forums.sybase.com...
> As a less simplistic overview.
>
> PD is really a page engine. It plusg into web servers either via NSAPI,
> ISAPI or SGI. The personal web server is a simple web server that the PD
> page engine "plugs into". This is done automatically for you by us.
>
> If you use IIS or Netscape the installer can automatically configure those
> servers to add the power dynamo plugin.
>
> Dave Wolf
> Internet Applications Division
>
> "Lance Andersen" <lancea@sybase.com> wrote in message
> news:38CF860F.C8EE54CA@sybase.com...
> > PWS is provided for testing not for deployment. For production you need
> > an industrial strength webserver.
> >
> > You can think of PD running side-by-side with your webserver. You
> > communicate with your webserver which directs requests (via an API or
> > CGI) to PD, PD processes the script and then returns data to the client
> > browser.
> >
> > Again the above is a very simplistic overview.
> >
> > Lance
> >
> > bhando@home.com wrote:
> > >
> > > thanks for the quick response.
> > >
> > > so if i am understanding you then, i will need something like apache
or
> iis
> > > + pd/asa to make this work.
> > >
> > > i have been currently making a web app using personal web
server/pd/asa.
> i
> > > was under the impression pd and pws were one.
> > >
> > > please confirm this for me as well ,
> > >
> > > iis talks to dynamo dynamo talks to jag and asa
> > >
> > > thanks
> > >
> > > "Dave Wolf [Sybase]" <dwolf@sybase.com> wrote in message
> > > news:J4fZVggj$GA.151@forums.sybase.com...
> > > > Since PD runs inside another web server if that server supports SSL
PD
> > > > inherits it.
> > > >
> > > > Dave Wolf
> > > > Internet Applications Division
> > > >
> > > > <bhando@home.com> wrote in message
> > > news:IIUxvagj$GA.151@forums.sybase.com...
> > > > > can one use certificates with powerdynamo/asa alone, ie not using
> > > jaguar.
> > > > >
> > > > > if so can someone give me the readers digest version of how/where
to
> use
> > > > one
> > > > > in a pd website.
> > > > >
> > > > > barrie
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> >
> > --
> >
>
============================================================================
> ===
> > Lance J. Andersen Email: lancea@sybase.com
> > Sybase Product Support Engineering Phone:(781) 564-6336
> > 77 South Bedford Street Fax: (781) 564-7001
> > Burlington, MA 01803
> >
> > The Dark Knight Returns!!! Let's Go Penguins!!!
> >
>
============================================================================
> ===
>
>


Olaf Musch Posted on 2000-03-16 07:06:29.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 08:06:29 +0100
From: Olaf Musch <Olaf.Musch@gzs.de>
Organization: GZS Gesellschaft =?iso-8859-1?Q?f=FCr?= Zahlungssysteme mbH
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.72 [en] (WinNT; U)
X-Accept-Language: de,en,en-US,en-GB
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: SSL Certificates
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 23
NNTP-Posting-Host: 195.143.119.10
Message-ID: <347_38D087F5.D02DED5D@gzs.de>
References: <347_IIUxvagj$GA.151@forums.sybase.com> <347_J4fZVggj$GA.151@forums.sybase.com> <347_SfEFJdnj$GA.261@forums.sybase.com> <347_38CF860F.C8EE54CA@sybase.com> <347_u$4kOBpj$GA.261@forums.sybase.com> <347_yy#B4Juj$GA.285@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:26316
Article PK: 156985


bhando@home.com wrote:
>
> thanks for the responses
>
> does anyone know if the apache 1.3 will work with dynamo.
>
> i just started looking into which web server to use, and boy could i use a
> simple-to-setup/manage one. any thoughts
>
> i was looking iis or apache so far.
>

Hi,

we're currently evaluating Apache 1.3.12 (NT) together with PD and
it only works via CGI.
You have to copy some files from %JAGUAR%\PowerDynamo\Win32 to the
cgi-bin directory of your apache, start the cgi-helper-app and and
call dycgi03.exe from your html-pages.
It's somewhere in the docs.. sorry, can't remember where exactly.
Drawback is that it only works via CGI. But a german Sybase Rep
told me that they are currently working on a LoadModule or
similar thing to speed up this integration to Apache.

Dave, can you confirm this or even tell us about availability ?

Hope that helped

Olaf