Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

JagSleep declaration on Windows vs. Solaris

8 posts in General Discussion (old) Last posting was on 2000-02-15 09:57:04.0Z
Peter Reedijk Posted on 2000-02-14 08:29:51.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Peter Reedijk" <peter.reedijk@pica.nl>
Organization: 192.87.44.228
X-Newsreader: AspNNTP 1.41 (Advent 2000, Inc.)
Subject: JagSleep declaration on Windows vs. Solaris
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 03:29:51 -0500
Lines: 24
NNTP-Posting-Host: 207.156.232.4
Message-ID: <347_IqwdpWsd$GA.223@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:28787
Article PK: 160901

My service component has to run on WinNT as well as Solaris. The PB Helpfiles
suggest that one declaration of the external function JagSleep will do:

"Instead of following different naming conventions on each platform, you could
use the same library name on all platforms so that function declarations are the
same. Enclose the library name in quotation marks and do not include the path."

This does not seem to work however. On NT, the service component still works if
I omit the ".dll" in the declaration

subroutine JagSleep (Long seconds) LIBRARY "libjdispatch.dll"

On Solaris, the only way I can run JagSleep is by the 'full declaration':

subroutine JagSleep (Long seconds) LIBRARY "libjdispatch.so"

Other versions (f.i. without the .so extension) give a 'file not found' and the
message 'runService: failed to run' in the server log. Do I have to use
different declarations or is there another trick?

Peter


Bill Green[TeamSybase] Posted on 2000-02-14 15:38:55.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 10:38:55 -0500
From: "Bill Green[TeamSybase]" <bill.green@teamsybase.com>
Reply-To: bill.green@teamsybase.com
Organization: TeamSybase
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.6 [en] (WinNT; I)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: JagSleep declaration on Windows vs. Solaris
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 47
NNTP-Posting-Host: threshold3.jpmorgan.com 169.71.1.12
Message-ID: <347_38A8218F.A153F5A3@teamsybase.com>
References: <347_IqwdpWsd$GA.223@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:28754
Article PK: 160870

What you want to do is a little redirection. You'll need a component that accepts
the incoming request (Make Jag Sleep), and it will call a different component based
on the platform. (NTOS::JagSleep, UnixOS::JagSleep etc). Unfortunately, there's no
way to get around the Library declaration (that I know of). Differing function
names, yes. Library names, No. (We used to do this with our client-server class
library that had to run on NT or Solaries).

Either that, or you have to deploy different components to each server with the same
name. Each component would house a different declaration, but the public interface
would be the same.

regards,
Bill

Peter Reedijk wrote:

> My service component has to run on WinNT as well as Solaris. The PB Helpfiles
> suggest that one declaration of the external function JagSleep will do:
>
> "Instead of following different naming conventions on each platform, you could
> use the same library name on all platforms so that function declarations are the
> same. Enclose the library name in quotation marks and do not include the path."
>
> This does not seem to work however. On NT, the service component still works if
> I omit the ".dll" in the declaration
>
> subroutine JagSleep (Long seconds) LIBRARY "libjdispatch.dll"
>
> On Solaris, the only way I can run JagSleep is by the 'full declaration':
>
> subroutine JagSleep (Long seconds) LIBRARY "libjdispatch.so"
>
> Other versions (f.i. without the .so extension) give a 'file not found' and the
> message 'runService: failed to run' in the server log. Do I have to use
> different declarations or is there another trick?
>
> Peter

--
Bill Green[TeamSybase]

Good Links to know:
Sybase Developer Network (SDN) - http://www.sybase.com/sdn
PFC Guide - http://www.pfcguide.com
Power3 - Custom Training - http://www.power3.com


Evan Ireland Posted on 2000-02-14 21:54:19.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 10:54:19 +1300
From: Evan Ireland <eireland@sybase.com>
Organization: Sybase, Inc.
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.7 [en] (WinNT; U)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: bill.green@teamsybase.com
Subject: Re: JagSleep declaration on Windows vs. Solaris
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 18
NNTP-Posting-Host: 130.214.8.57
Message-ID: <347_38A8798B.A531D22@sybase.com>
References: <347_IqwdpWsd$GA.223@forums.sybase.com> <347_38A8218F.A153F5A3@teamsybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:28712
Article PK: 160836


"Bill Green[TeamSybase]" wrote:
>
> What you want to do is a little redirection. You'll need a component that accepts
> the incoming request (Make Jag Sleep), and it will call a different component based
> on the platform. (NTOS::JagSleep, UnixOS::JagSleep etc). Unfortunately, there's no
> way to get around the Library declaration (that I know of).

How about the "log a case" and "get a fix" workaround as Dave suggested :-)
________________________________________________________________________________

Evan Ireland Sybase EA Server Engineering eireland@sybase.com
Wellington - New Zealand +64 4 934-5856


Bill Green[TeamSybase] Posted on 2000-02-14 22:32:47.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 17:32:47 -0500
From: "Bill Green[TeamSybase]" <bill.green@teamsybase.com>
Reply-To: bill.green@teamsybase.com
Organization: TeamSybase
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.6 [en] (WinNT; I)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: JagSleep declaration on Windows vs. Solaris
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 29
NNTP-Posting-Host: threshold3.jpmorgan.com 169.71.1.12
Message-ID: <347_38A8828F.5608A550@teamsybase.com>
References: <347_IqwdpWsd$GA.223@forums.sybase.com> <347_38A8218F.A153F5A3@teamsybase.com> <347_38A8798B.A531D22@sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:28706
Article PK: 160835

Absolutely. Sorry, I took that as a given - Anytime you have to use a workaround, it's
becuase something should be fixed somewhere, so report the problem.

Thanks for reminding me Evan,

Bill

Evan Ireland wrote:

> "Bill Green[TeamSybase]" wrote:
> >
> > What you want to do is a little redirection. You'll need a component that accepts
> > the incoming request (Make Jag Sleep), and it will call a different component based
> > on the platform. (NTOS::JagSleep, UnixOS::JagSleep etc). Unfortunately, there's no
> > way to get around the Library declaration (that I know of).
>
> How about the "log a case" and "get a fix" workaround as Dave suggested :-)
> ________________________________________________________________________________
>
> Evan Ireland Sybase EA Server Engineering eireland@sybase.com
> Wellington - New Zealand +64 4 934-5856

--
Bill Green[TeamSybase]

Good Links to know:
Sybase Developer Network (SDN) - http://www.sybase.com/sdn
PFC Guide - http://www.pfcguide.com
Power3 - Custom Training - http://www.power3.com


Peter Reedijk Posted on 2000-02-15 09:57:04.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Peter Reedijk" <peter.reedijk@pica.nl>
Organization: 192.87.44.228
X-Newsreader: AspNNTP 1.41 (Advent 2000, Inc.)
Subject: Re: JagSleep declaration on Windows vs. Solaris
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:57:04 -0500
Lines: 14
NNTP-Posting-Host: 207.156.232.4
Message-ID: <347_onM1Cs5d$GA.96@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_IqwdpWsd$GA.223@forums.sybase.com> <347_38A8218F.A153F5A3@teamsybase.com> <347_38A8798B.A531D22@sybase.com> <347_38A8828F.5608A550@teamsybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:28675
Article PK: 160803

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 17:32:47 -0500,
in powersoft.public.easerver

Bill Green[TeamSybase] <bill.green@teamsybase.com> wrote:
>Absolutely. Sorry, I took that as a given - Anytime you have to use a
workaround, it's
>becuase something should be fixed somewhere, so report the problem.

Thanks for thinking with me, everyone. The reason I posted this here, was to
establish whether the necessity of different JagSleep declarations IS a bug (we
all agree on that now, don't we?) and not some misinterpretation of the
helpfiles by me.

Peter


Dave Wolf [Sybase] Posted on 2000-02-14 14:11:31.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Dave Wolf [Sybase]" <dwolf@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: JagSleep declaration on Windows vs. Solaris
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 09:11:31 -0500
Lines: 37
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
NNTP-Posting-Host: 158.159.8.52
Message-ID: <347_yOn7hXvd$GA.149@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_IqwdpWsd$GA.223@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:28777
Article PK: 160893

Im not a PB head but if it doesnt work right, try having an INI file to say
if you are on PB or NT.

Dave Wolf
Internet Applications Divsion

Peter Reedijk <peter.reedijk@pica.nl> wrote in message
news:IqwdpWsd$GA.223@forums.sybase.com...
> My service component has to run on WinNT as well as Solaris. The PB
Helpfiles
> suggest that one declaration of the external function JagSleep will do:
>
> "Instead of following different naming conventions on each platform, you
could
> use the same library name on all platforms so that function declarations
are the
> same. Enclose the library name in quotation marks and do not include the
path."
>
> This does not seem to work however. On NT, the service component still
works if
> I omit the ".dll" in the declaration
>
> subroutine JagSleep (Long seconds) LIBRARY "libjdispatch.dll"
>
> On Solaris, the only way I can run JagSleep is by the 'full declaration':
>
> subroutine JagSleep (Long seconds) LIBRARY "libjdispatch.so"
>
> Other versions (f.i. without the .so extension) give a 'file not found'
and the
> message 'runService: failed to run' in the server log. Do I have to use
> different declarations or is there another trick?
>
> Peter


Peter Reedijk Posted on 2000-02-14 14:54:18.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Peter Reedijk" <peter.reedijk@pica.nl>
Organization: 192.87.44.228
X-Newsreader: AspNNTP 1.41 (Advent 2000, Inc.)
Subject: Re: JagSleep declaration on Windows vs. Solaris
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 09:54:18 -0500
Lines: 42
NNTP-Posting-Host: 207.156.232.4
Message-ID: <347_Jh0Zetvd$GA.96@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_IqwdpWsd$GA.223@forums.sybase.com> <347_yOn7hXvd$GA.149@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:28770
Article PK: 160886

Thanks for your reply Dave, but the trouble isn't determining which OS is
running (that's quite easy in PB). It's just that the documentation suggests
that step ain't necessary and that the OS would be 'transparent' and therefore
irrelevant to my component.

Peter

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 09:11:31 -0500,
in powersoft.public.easerver

Dave Wolf [Sybase] <dwolf@sybase.com> wrote:
>Im not a PB head but if it doesnt work right, try having an INI file to say
>if you are on PB or NT.
>
>Dave Wolf
>Internet Applications Divsion
>
>Peter Reedijk <peter.reedijk@pica.nl> wrote in message
>news:IqwdpWsd$GA.223@forums.sybase.com...
>> My service component has to run on WinNT as well as Solaris. The PB
>Helpfiles
>> suggest that one declaration of the external function JagSleep will do:
>>
>> "Instead of following different naming conventions on each platform, you
>could
>> use the same library name on all platforms so that function declarations
>are the
>> same. Enclose the library name in quotation marks and do not include the
>path."
>>
>> This does not seem to work however. On NT, the service component still
>works if
>> I omit the ".dll" in the declaration
>>
>> subroutine JagSleep (Long seconds) LIBRARY "libjdispatch.dll"
>>
>> On Solaris, the only way I can run JagSleep is by the 'full declaration':
>>
>> subroutine JagSleep (Long seconds) LIBRARY "libjdispatch.so"
>>
>> Other versions (f.i. without the .so extension) give a 'file not found'
>and the
>> message 'runService: failed to run' in the server log. Do I have to use
>> different declarations or is there another trick?
>>
>> Peter
>
>


Dave Wolf [Sybase] Posted on 2000-02-14 15:14:10.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Dave Wolf [Sybase]" <dwolf@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: JagSleep declaration on Windows vs. Solaris
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 10:14:10 -0500
Lines: 63
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
NNTP-Posting-Host: 158.159.8.63
Message-ID: <347_SVJ3i6vd$GA.184@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_IqwdpWsd$GA.223@forums.sybase.com> <347_yOn7hXvd$GA.149@forums.sybase.com> <347_Jh0Zetvd$GA.96@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:28761
Article PK: 160880

If its not working as documented, please open a case with support.

Dave Wolf
Internet Applications Division

Peter Reedijk <peter.reedijk@pica.nl> wrote in message
news:Jh0Zetvd$GA.96@forums.sybase.com...
> Thanks for your reply Dave, but the trouble isn't determining which OS is
> running (that's quite easy in PB). It's just that the documentation
suggests
> that step ain't necessary and that the OS would be 'transparent' and
therefore
> irrelevant to my component.
>
> Peter
>
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 09:11:31 -0500,
> in powersoft.public.easerver
> Dave Wolf [Sybase] <dwolf@sybase.com> wrote:
> >Im not a PB head but if it doesnt work right, try having an INI file to
say
> >if you are on PB or NT.
> >
> >Dave Wolf
> >Internet Applications Divsion
> >
> >Peter Reedijk <peter.reedijk@pica.nl> wrote in message
> >news:IqwdpWsd$GA.223@forums.sybase.com...
> >> My service component has to run on WinNT as well as Solaris. The PB
> >Helpfiles
> >> suggest that one declaration of the external function JagSleep will do:
> >>
> >> "Instead of following different naming conventions on each platform,
you
> >could
> >> use the same library name on all platforms so that function
declarations
> >are the
> >> same. Enclose the library name in quotation marks and do not include
the
> >path."
> >>
> >> This does not seem to work however. On NT, the service component still
> >works if
> >> I omit the ".dll" in the declaration
> >>
> >> subroutine JagSleep (Long seconds) LIBRARY "libjdispatch.dll"
> >>
> >> On Solaris, the only way I can run JagSleep is by the 'full
declaration':
> >>
> >> subroutine JagSleep (Long seconds) LIBRARY "libjdispatch.so"
> >>
> >> Other versions (f.i. without the .so extension) give a 'file not found'
> >and the
> >> message 'runService: failed to run' in the server log. Do I have to use
> >> different declarations or is there another trick?
> >>
> >> Peter
> >
> >