Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Redirect = round trip?

7 posts in General Discussion (old) Last posting was on 2000-02-11 00:01:20.0Z
Jay Fienberg Posted on 2000-02-10 19:12:28.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Jay Fienberg" <jayf@adidam.org>
Subject: Redirect = round trip?
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 11:12:28 -0800
Lines: 14
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3110.5
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3110.3
NNTP-Posting-Host: 209-239-207-228.oak.jps.net 209.239.207.228
Message-ID: <347_JLR6Qs$c$GA.184@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:28960
Article PK: 154740

This is one of those questions that I have been meaning to ask for years:

in PD, when using document.redirect= . . .

does this cause a round trip to the browser and back. I.e., the browser
gets\posts to one URL, the redirect is set and sent back to the browser, and
then the browser gets the new URL?

If it doesn't do this, how does it work?

TIA
Jay Fienberg


Dean Jones [Team Sybase] Posted on 2000-02-10 20:15:41.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
Reply-To: "Dean Jones [Team Sybase]" <nospam_dean@powerobjects.com>
From: "Dean Jones [Team Sybase]" <nospam_dean@powerobjects.com>
Subject: Re: Redirect = round trip?
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:15:41 -0600
Lines: 35
Organization: PowerTeam, Inc.
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
NNTP-Posting-Host: modem6.outtech.com 216.207.144.236
Message-ID: <347_#cAjqNAd$GA.180@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_JLR6Qs$c$GA.184@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:28955
Article PK: 161320

No. It does not make a round trip. If you want a round trip have your script
create a onload method in the page generated that would return back to the
Brower and then onload it would submit a request back to the server, i.e.,
round trip.

HTH

--
Dean Jones, CPD Professional
Team Sybase
dean@powerobjects.com

PowerTeam, Inc.
http://www.powerobjects.com

Jay Fienberg <jayf@adidam.org> wrote in message
news:JLR6Qs$c$GA.184@forums.sybase.com...
> This is one of those questions that I have been meaning to ask for years:
>
> in PD, when using document.redirect= . . .
>
> does this cause a round trip to the browser and back. I.e., the browser
> gets\posts to one URL, the redirect is set and sent back to the browser,
and
> then the browser gets the new URL?
>
> If it doesn't do this, how does it work?
>
> TIA
> Jay Fienberg
>
>


Carson Hager[Team Sybase] Posted on 2000-02-11 00:01:20.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: chager@dyn-data.com (Carson Hager[Team Sybase])
Subject: Re: Redirect = round trip?
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 00:01:20 GMT
Organization: Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.21/32.243
Lines: 48
NNTP-Posting-Host: 63.86.26.206
Message-ID: <347_38a35136.28303668@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_JLR6Qs$c$GA.184@forums.sybase.com> <347_#cAjqNAd$GA.180@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:28935
Article PK: 161305

It does do a roundtrip. The http header gets sent to the browser and
the browser then requests the url.


Carson

___________________________________________________________

Carson Hager
Team Sybase
Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training
http://www.dyn-data.com

DDS is now hiring EAServer consultants
to support its exploding EAServer business!
Please submit your resume to
hr@dyn-data.com!


On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:15:41 -0600, "Dean Jones [Team Sybase]"

<nospam_dean@powerobjects.com> wrote:

>No. It does not make a round trip. If you want a round trip have your script
>create a onload method in the page generated that would return back to the
>Brower and then onload it would submit a request back to the server, i.e.,
>round trip.
>
>HTH
>
>--
>Dean Jones, CPD Professional
>Team Sybase
>dean@powerobjects.com
>
>PowerTeam, Inc.
>http://www.powerobjects.com
>
>
>Jay Fienberg <jayf@adidam.org> wrote in message
>news:JLR6Qs$c$GA.184@forums.sybase.com...
>> This is one of those questions that I have been meaning to ask for years:
>>
>> in PD, when using document.redirect= . . .
>>
>> does this cause a round trip to the browser and back. I.e., the browser
>> gets\posts to one URL, the redirect is set and sent back to the browser,
>and
>> then the browser gets the new URL?
>>
>> If it doesn't do this, how does it work?
>>
>> TIA
>> Jay Fienberg
>>
>>
>
>

___________________________________________________________

Carson Hager
Team Sybase
Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training

DDS Enterprise Application Framework
Available Now as Open Source!
http://www.dyn-data.com


Jay Fienberg Posted on 2000-02-10 20:43:18.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Jay Fienberg" <jayf@adidam.org>
Subject: Re: Redirect = round trip?
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 12:43:18 -0800
Lines: 25
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3110.5
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3110.3
NNTP-Posting-Host: 209-239-207-228.oak.jps.net 209.239.207.228
Message-ID: <347_ypFaPfAd$GA.305@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_JLR6Qs$c$GA.184@forums.sybase.com> <347_#cAjqNAd$GA.180@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:28951
Article PK: 161313


Dean Jones [Team Sybase] wrote in message
<#cAjqNAd$GA.180@forums.sybase.com>...
>No. It does not make a round trip. If you want a round trip have your

script

Actually, I don't want it to do a round trip, so this is good to know. But,
how does the browser's request (say a GET) actually get routed to the new
page--is it just forwarded by, in this case, PD?

page1 has redirect to page2, which has a redirect to page3

-browser send GET to page1
-redirect forwards GET to page2
-reidrect forwards GET to page3
-page3 is sent back to browser

Is this how it works? Does the page3 return with some part of its header
indicating that it is the response to the GET for page1? Does the browser
ever "know" anything about page2?

Thanks for the response!

Jay Fienberg


Mark Lanz Posted on 2000-02-10 21:17:39.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Mark Lanz" <mark.lanz@digifuse.nospam.com>
Subject: Re: Redirect = round trip?
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 16:17:39 -0500
Lines: 65
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2615.200
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2615.200
NNTP-Posting-Host: innovativeit.com 199.3.215.1
Message-ID: <347_p5RDgzAd$GA.184@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_JLR6Qs$c$GA.184@forums.sybase.com> <347_#cAjqNAd$GA.180@forums.sybase.com> <347_ypFaPfAd$GA.305@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:28944
Article PK: 161311

My experience is that there is a small round trip for a redirect. On our
site, when there is an error, we redirect to error.htm .We wrote a little
java utility to do some load testing. It acts like a client browser. It
allows us to see the response from the server. This is the response we get
in case of a redirect:

HTTP/1.0 302 Redirect
Server: Netscape-Enterprise/2.01
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 20:59:45 GMT
Set-cookie: PowerDynamo=22a015c60bcc; path=/test
Location: /test/error.htm?as_error=This%20subscriber%20does%20not%20exist.
Content-type: text/html

So, basically, my theory would be, given your example of "page1 has redirect
to page2, which has a redirect to page3":

-browser sends GET to page1
-server returns new location header (page 2) to browser
-browser sends GET to page2
-server returns new location header (page 3) to browser
-browser sends GET to page3
-server returns page3 to browser

Maybe it is web server specific, but this is the behavior I've seen. The
real way to be able to tell would be to do a packet trace, which is always
fun. In the past I did a packet trace on an NSAPI function that did a
redirect. I just dug out the printout I have of the trace, and, sure
enough, it also sends a new location header back to the browser, which in
turn requests the redirected page.

HTH,
Mark Lanz
digital fusion, inc.

Jay Fienberg <jayf@adidam.org> wrote in message
news:ypFaPfAd$GA.305@forums.sybase.com...
> Dean Jones [Team Sybase] wrote in message
> <#cAjqNAd$GA.180@forums.sybase.com>...
> >No. It does not make a round trip. If you want a round trip have your
> script
>
> Actually, I don't want it to do a round trip, so this is good to know.
But,
> how does the browser's request (say a GET) actually get routed to the new
> page--is it just forwarded by, in this case, PD?
>
> page1 has redirect to page2, which has a redirect to page3
>
> -browser send GET to page1
> -redirect forwards GET to page2
> -reidrect forwards GET to page3
> -page3 is sent back to browser
>
> Is this how it works? Does the page3 return with some part of its header
> indicating that it is the response to the GET for page1? Does the browser
> ever "know" anything about page2?
>
> Thanks for the response!
>
> Jay Fienberg
>
>


Dean Jones [Team Sybase] Posted on 2000-02-10 21:59:03.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
Reply-To: "Dean Jones [Team Sybase]" <nospam_dean@powerobjects.com>
From: "Dean Jones [Team Sybase]" <nospam_dean@powerobjects.com>
Subject: Re: Redirect = round trip?
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:59:03 -0600
Lines: 87
Organization: PowerTeam, Inc.
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
NNTP-Posting-Host: modem6.outtech.com 216.207.144.236
Message-ID: <347_d97ldHBd$GA.96@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_JLR6Qs$c$GA.184@forums.sybase.com> <347_#cAjqNAd$GA.180@forums.sybase.com> <347_ypFaPfAd$GA.305@forums.sybase.com> <347_p5RDgzAd$GA.184@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:28940
Article PK: 161304

Is this just a notification? I did not believe the browser then requested
the new page. What do you see in your web server log? Does it show Gets for
all the pages?

--
Dean Jones, CPD Professional
Team Sybase
dean@powerobjects.com

PowerTeam, Inc.
http://www.powerobjects.com

Mark Lanz <mark.lanz@digifuse.nospam.com> wrote in message
news:p5RDgzAd$GA.184@forums.sybase.com...
> My experience is that there is a small round trip for a redirect. On our
> site, when there is an error, we redirect to error.htm .We wrote a little
> java utility to do some load testing. It acts like a client browser. It
> allows us to see the response from the server. This is the response we
get
> in case of a redirect:
>
> HTTP/1.0 302 Redirect
> Server: Netscape-Enterprise/2.01
> Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 20:59:45 GMT
> Set-cookie: PowerDynamo=22a015c60bcc; path=/test
> Location: /test/error.htm?as_error=This%20subscriber%20does%20not%20exist.
> Content-type: text/html
>
> So, basically, my theory would be, given your example of "page1 has
redirect
> to page2, which has a redirect to page3":
>
> -browser sends GET to page1
> -server returns new location header (page 2) to browser
> -browser sends GET to page2
> -server returns new location header (page 3) to browser
> -browser sends GET to page3
> -server returns page3 to browser
>
> Maybe it is web server specific, but this is the behavior I've seen. The
> real way to be able to tell would be to do a packet trace, which is
always
> fun. In the past I did a packet trace on an NSAPI function that did a
> redirect. I just dug out the printout I have of the trace, and, sure
> enough, it also sends a new location header back to the browser, which in
> turn requests the redirected page.
>
> HTH,
> Mark Lanz
> digital fusion, inc.
>
>
> Jay Fienberg <jayf@adidam.org> wrote in message
> news:ypFaPfAd$GA.305@forums.sybase.com...
> > Dean Jones [Team Sybase] wrote in message
> > <#cAjqNAd$GA.180@forums.sybase.com>...
> > >No. It does not make a round trip. If you want a round trip have your
> > script
> >
> > Actually, I don't want it to do a round trip, so this is good to know.
> But,
> > how does the browser's request (say a GET) actually get routed to the
new
> > page--is it just forwarded by, in this case, PD?
> >
> > page1 has redirect to page2, which has a redirect to page3
> >
> > -browser send GET to page1
> > -redirect forwards GET to page2
> > -reidrect forwards GET to page3
> > -page3 is sent back to browser
> >
> > Is this how it works? Does the page3 return with some part of its header
> > indicating that it is the response to the GET for page1? Does the
browser
> > ever "know" anything about page2?
> >
> > Thanks for the response!
> >
> > Jay Fienberg
> >
> >
>
>


Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase] Posted on 2000-02-10 20:52:43.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase]" <mike.nicewarner@ibpinc.com>
Subject: Re: Redirect = round trip?
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:52:43 -0600
Lines: 41
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
NNTP-Posting-Host: secure.ibpinc.com 198.133.192.2
Message-ID: <347_FtuHSlAd$GA.96@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_JLR6Qs$c$GA.184@forums.sybase.com> <347_#cAjqNAd$GA.180@forums.sybase.com> <347_ypFaPfAd$GA.305@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:28948
Article PK: 161317

In my limited experience with redirection, I can't see that it is ever
hitting the client browser. If I hit the back button, I go directly from
page3 to page1.

--

Michael F. Nicewarner [TeamSybase]
mailto:mike.nicewarner@ibpinc.com
http://www.datamodel.org

Jay Fienberg <jayf@adidam.org> wrote in message
news:ypFaPfAd$GA.305@forums.sybase.com...
> Dean Jones [Team Sybase] wrote in message
> <#cAjqNAd$GA.180@forums.sybase.com>...
> >No. It does not make a round trip. If you want a round trip have your
> script
>
> Actually, I don't want it to do a round trip, so this is good to know.
But,
> how does the browser's request (say a GET) actually get routed to the new
> page--is it just forwarded by, in this case, PD?
>
> page1 has redirect to page2, which has a redirect to page3
>
> -browser send GET to page1
> -redirect forwards GET to page2
> -reidrect forwards GET to page3
> -page3 is sent back to browser
>
> Is this how it works? Does the page3 return with some part of its header
> indicating that it is the response to the GET for page1? Does the browser
> ever "know" anything about page2?
>
> Thanks for the response!
>
> Jay Fienberg
>
>