Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

EAS scalability questions

2 posts in General Discussion (old) Last posting was on 2000-03-10 02:02:52.0Z
sybase Posted on 2000-03-09 22:31:36.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "sybase" <robert.peterkins@erols.com>
Subject: EAS scalability questions
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 17:31:36 -0500
Lines: 24
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3110.5
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3110.3
NNTP-Posting-Host: robert.peterkins.erols.com 207.96.127.222
Message-ID: <347_MYIzFghi$GA.111@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:26743
Article PK: 157731

I am evaluating EAS as a possible solution for
my application layer. I have the following questions:

1) How many processes does EAS use? Is the
process model similar to a straight CORBA
implementation where servers/components
may reside in thier own processes? Do
all Java components run within a separate
JVM? If the process model is a single process,
how does that handle scalability? Convince
me that this is better than having a number
of smaller processes.
2) Does the latest EAS still same thread
model as Jaguar CTS 1.1.1?
Multiple, Single, Private?
3) In the Jaguar CTS documentation, it looked
like there was an example of wrapping C++ components with a C wrapper. IS
this required?
Are C/C++ components dlls only, or do they
appear to be standalone CORBA servers?
4) Are there still limitations on passing
instance handles across method calls?


Dave Wolf [Sybase] Posted on 2000-03-10 02:02:52.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Dave Wolf [Sybase]" <dwolf@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: EAS scalability questions
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 21:02:52 -0500
Lines: 68
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: PPPa29-ResaleAnnapolis2-1R7132.saturn.bbn.com 4.54.8.90
Message-ID: <347_rgabTcji$GA.201@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_MYIzFghi$GA.111@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:26728
Article PK: 157714


"sybase" <robert.peterkins@erols.com> wrote in message
news:MYIzFghi$GA.111@forums.sybase.com...
> I am evaluating EAS as a possible solution for
> my application layer. I have the following questions:
>
> 1) How many processes does EAS use?

One OS process using OS native threads.

> Is the
> process model similar to a straight CORBA
> implementation where servers/components
> may reside in thier own processes?

No, not at all

>Do
> all Java components run within a separate
> JVM?

No one native threading VM

> If the process model is a single process,
> how does that handle scalability? Convince
> me that this is better than having a number
> of smaller processes.

Because we use a single OS process we do not have the same overhead a
traditional ORB or CGI has such as

1) Initializing the process
2) Memory overhead in process heap for each process
3) InterProcess Communication via Shared Memory overhead

We have on process. We use native threads. In other words, all threading
is handled by the OS's kernel. The OS is build on top of its own hardware
ans should be able to schedule threads as fast as it can.

> 2) Does the latest EAS still same thread
> model as Jaguar CTS 1.1.1?
> Multiple, Single, Private?

We have many more threading options for components. Aslo our internal
threading models changed after 1.1.1

> 3) In the Jaguar CTS documentation, it looked
> like there was an example of wrapping C++ components with a C wrapper. IS
> this required?
> Are C/C++ components dlls only, or do they
> appear to be standalone CORBA servers?

You dont need to wrapping of C++ anymore. Thats a very old doc. We
dynamically load C++ classes from DLL's or .so's. They do not run as
standalone servers but threads on our process.

> 4) Are there still limitations on passing
> instance handles across method calls?

No. I would get some newer docs, this product barely resembles 1.1.1

Dave Wolf
Internet Applications Division

>
>