Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Client Method not working on Web DW careated dynamically?

4 posts in General Discussion (old) Last posting was on 2000-04-07 05:28:32.0Z
Stephen Posted on 2000-03-31 16:13:33.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Stephen" <skinchu@bn.com>
Organization: 161.221.10.36
X-Newsreader: AspNNTP 1.41 (Advent 2000, Inc.)
Subject: Client Method not working on Web DW careated dynamically?
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 11:13:33 -0500
Lines: 24
NNTP-Posting-Host: 207.156.232.4
Message-ID: <347_Nng0Pwym$GA.52@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:25089
Article PK: 228457

Hi, there

When you have to modify Web datawindow object dynamically for some reasons, such
as building Web datawindow based on a search criteria, dynamically select
columns, or server side sort etc, Web datawindow's client method stops working.
For instance, after you create a Web Datawindow based on a search criteria,
those client methods, such as Update(), Retrieve(), ScrollNextPage(), don't work
anymore on the Web DW page. It is understandable because parameters of
datawindow objects only passed when they are created. So if client method
reload the page, datawindow object defination is gone. Is there any way you
could make client methods, such as Update(), work even Web Datawindow objects
are created dynameically? This is very basic function, and Sybase should
support it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Stephen
---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp


Larry Cermak[Team Sybase] Posted on 2000-04-02 06:31:39.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Larry Cermak[Team Sybase]" <lcermak@ctpartners.com>
Subject: Re: Client Method not working on Web DW careated dynamically?
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 00:31:39 -0600
Lines: 45
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: node18.dhcpchi.dslspeed.zyan.com 208.41.199.18
Message-ID: <347_wdSUu6Gn$GA.202@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_Nng0Pwym$GA.52@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:24991
Article PK: 228438

Sure you can. You could either build you own component to handle this or
customize the HTMLGenerator component. Another way is to use the Modify
method to set the datawindow to updatable and whatever other characteristics
you need.

--

Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]
Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
www.ctpartners.com
Web DataWindow Articles
(http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1001708)

Web DataWindow Training
EAServer Training

"Stephen" <skinchu@bn.com> wrote in message
news:Nng0Pwym$GA.52@forums.sybase.com...
> Hi, there
>
> When you have to modify Web datawindow object dynamically for some
reasons, such
> as building Web datawindow based on a search criteria, dynamically select
> columns, or server side sort etc, Web datawindow's client method stops
working.
> For instance, after you create a Web Datawindow based on a search
criteria,
> those client methods, such as Update(), Retrieve(), ScrollNextPage(),
don't work
> anymore on the Web DW page. It is understandable because parameters of
> datawindow objects only passed when they are created. So if client method
> reload the page, datawindow object defination is gone. Is there any way
you
> could make client methods, such as Update(), work even Web Datawindow
objects
> are created dynameically? This is very basic function, and Sybase should
> support it.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Stephen
> ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
> http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp


Stephen Posted on 2000-04-02 20:06:20.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Stephen" <skinchu@bn.com>
Organization: 209.206.44.203
X-Newsreader: AspNNTP 1.41 (Advent 2000, Inc.)
Subject: Re: Client Method not working on Web DW careated dynamically?
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 16:06:20 -0400
Lines: 100
NNTP-Posting-Host: 207.156.232.4
Message-ID: <347_6uJop7Nn$GA.201@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_Nng0Pwym$GA.52@forums.sybase.com> <347_wdSUu6Gn$GA.202@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:24981
Article PK: 228428

Hi, Larry

Could you elaborate it a bit; I need more detailed instructions. Let's I create
a DW d_product with a retrieve argment ai_prod_id and update atrribute set up
for updatable. And I create a frameset page with top page passing prod_id and
bottom page receiving prod_id. These things are working fine, i.e. I can select
product Id from a option list in the top page, when I click Retireve button, the
detailsed product list is displayed using dwMine.RetrieveEx() in the bottom
page. However, the client method dwMine.Update() doesn't work.

You mentioned to create own component with Updaet() method in Jaguar for the
this dw object. In which way, my Update() method will be different from
HTMLGenerator/Update()? I'm just guessing I'll use a datastore, and dw object
say d_product (with updatable attribute set up) and use
SetFullState/GetFullState/SetChanges/GetChanges etc to update/retrieve datastore
and pass blob etc., which is the same as what HTMLGenerator/Update() does right
now. My question is in which way my Update() method will be different from
HTMLGenerator's?

Regarding HTMLGenerator/Modify(), I'm having problems updating datawindow
objects. It seems it works fine when only modifying Where clauses, Group by etc
but not adding or removing colums from the original dw objects. I even tried on
your source code of Search Criteria Web DW; if you try to remove columns from
the original dw object (say you change mod string from "Select id, fname, lname,
city, state, zip FROM customer" to "Select id, fname, lname FROM customer"),
you'll get "Retrive error/Invalid descrptor index". If you try to add columns to
your original dw object (say you change mod string from "Select id, fname,
lname, city, state, zip FROM customer" to "Select id, fname, lname, city, state,
zip, company_name FROM customer" ), your web datawindow only shows the original
dw object without "company_name". Have you ever tried to modify columns of the
original dw object (or change to different dw object) in Web datawindow using
HTMLGenerator/Modify()? Does it work?

Thanks for your help!

Stephen

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000 00:31:39 -0600,
in powersoft.public.easerver

Larry Cermak[Team Sybase] <lcermak@ctpartners.com> wrote:
>Sure you can. You could either build you own component to handle this or
>customize the HTMLGenerator component. Another way is to use the Modify
>method to set the datawindow to updatable and whatever other characteristics
>you need.
>
>--
>
>Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]
>Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
>www.ctpartners.com
>Web DataWindow Articles
>(http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1001708)
>
>Web DataWindow Training
>EAServer Training
>
>"Stephen" <skinchu@bn.com> wrote in message
>news:Nng0Pwym$GA.52@forums.sybase.com...
>> Hi, there
>>
>> When you have to modify Web datawindow object dynamically for some
>reasons, such
>> as building Web datawindow based on a search criteria, dynamically select
>> columns, or server side sort etc, Web datawindow's client method stops
>working.
>> For instance, after you create a Web Datawindow based on a search
>criteria,
>> those client methods, such as Update(), Retrieve(), ScrollNextPage(),
>don't work
>> anymore on the Web DW page. It is understandable because parameters of
>> datawindow objects only passed when they are created. So if client method
>> reload the page, datawindow object defination is gone. Is there any way
>you
>> could make client methods, such as Update(), work even Web Datawindow
>objects
>> are created dynameically? This is very basic function, and Sybase should
>> support it.
>>
>> Any help will be appreciated.
>>
>> Stephen
>> ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
>> http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp
>
>

---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp


Larry Cermak[Team Sybase] Posted on 2000-04-07 05:28:32.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Larry Cermak[Team Sybase]" <lcermak@ctpartners.com>
Subject: Re: Client Method not working on Web DW careated dynamically?
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 00:28:32 -0500
Lines: 144
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: node9.dhcpchi.dslspeed.zyan.com 208.41.199.9
Message-ID: <347_RE0wFLFo$GA.266@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_Nng0Pwym$GA.52@forums.sybase.com> <347_wdSUu6Gn$GA.202@forums.sybase.com> <347_6uJop7Nn$GA.201@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:24549
Article PK: 153777


> Could you elaborate it a bit; I need more detailed instructions. Let's I
create
> a DW d_product with a retrieve argment ai_prod_id and update atrribute set
up
> for updatable. And I create a frameset page with top page passing prod_id
and
> bottom page receiving prod_id. These things are working fine, i.e. I can
select
> product Id from a option list in the top page, when I click Retireve
button, the
> detailsed product list is displayed using dwMine.RetrieveEx() in the
bottom
> page. However, the client method dwMine.Update() doesn't work.

You need to call SetAction to apply the action taken in the browser (ie
update button) and apply it to the server component (HTMLGenerator...and
datastore down deep in the code)

>
> You mentioned to create own component with Updaet() method in Jaguar for
the
> this dw object. In which way, my Update() method will be different from
> HTMLGenerator/Update()? I'm just guessing I'll use a datastore, and dw
object
> say d_product (with updatable attribute set up) and use
> SetFullState/GetFullState/SetChanges/GetChanges etc to update/retrieve
datastore
> and pass blob etc., which is the same as what HTMLGenerator/Update() does
right
> now. My question is in which way my Update() method will be different
from
> HTMLGenerator's?

No your update should be the same. The SetAction above is necessary. You're
right except about passing the blobs. The SetAction takes the action from
the html and applies it to the server component and it's text, not a blob.
>
> Regarding HTMLGenerator/Modify(), I'm having problems updating datawindow
> objects. It seems it works fine when only modifying Where clauses, Group
by etc
> but not adding or removing colums from the original dw objects. I even
tried on
> your source code of Search Criteria Web DW; if you try to remove columns
from
> the original dw object (say you change mod string from "Select id, fname,
lname,
> city, state, zip FROM customer" to "Select id, fname, lname FROM
customer"),
> you'll get "Retrive error/Invalid descrptor index". If you try to add
columns to
> your original dw object (say you change mod string from "Select id, fname,
> lname, city, state, zip FROM customer" to "Select id, fname, lname, city,
state,
> zip, company_name FROM customer" ), your web datawindow only shows the
original
> dw object without "company_name". Have you ever tried to modify columns
of the
> original dw object (or change to different dw object) in Web datawindow
using
> HTMLGenerator/Modify()? Does it work?

I have not tried modifying the dwobject, that's what the SetDWObject method
is for. No I have not tried altering the columns dynamically yet, only the
where clause.


--

Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]
Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
www.ctpartners.com
Web DataWindow Articles
(http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1001708)

Web DataWindow Training
EAServer Training

"Stephen" <skinchu@bn.com> wrote in message
news:6uJop7Nn$GA.201@forums.sybase.com...
> Hi, Larry
>
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Stephen
>
> On Sun, 2 Apr 2000 00:31:39 -0600,
> in powersoft.public.easerver
> Larry Cermak[Team Sybase] <lcermak@ctpartners.com> wrote:
> >Sure you can. You could either build you own component to handle this or
> >customize the HTMLGenerator component. Another way is to use the Modify
> >method to set the datawindow to updatable and whatever other
characteristics
> >you need.
> >
> >--
> >
> >Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]
> >Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
> >www.ctpartners.com
> >Web DataWindow Articles
> >(http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1001708)
> >
> >Web DataWindow Training
> >EAServer Training
> >
> >"Stephen" <skinchu@bn.com> wrote in message
> >news:Nng0Pwym$GA.52@forums.sybase.com...
> >> Hi, there
> >>
> >> When you have to modify Web datawindow object dynamically for some
> >reasons, such
> >> as building Web datawindow based on a search criteria, dynamically
select
> >> columns, or server side sort etc, Web datawindow's client method stops
> >working.
> >> For instance, after you create a Web Datawindow based on a search
> >criteria,
> >> those client methods, such as Update(), Retrieve(), ScrollNextPage(),
> >don't work
> >> anymore on the Web DW page. It is understandable because parameters of
> >> datawindow objects only passed when they are created. So if client
method
> >> reload the page, datawindow object defination is gone. Is there any
way
> >you
> >> could make client methods, such as Update(), work even Web Datawindow
> >objects
> >> are created dynameically? This is very basic function, and Sybase
should
> >> support it.
> >>
> >> Any help will be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Stephen
> >> ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
> >> http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp
> >
> >
>
> ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
> http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp