Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

SSL and IIS configuration

7 posts in General Discussion (old) Last posting was on 2000-04-03 08:20:43.0Z
Alistair Black Posted on 2000-03-30 13:08:11.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Alistair Black" <ablack@investech-solutions.com>
Subject: SSL and IIS configuration
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 14:08:11 +0100
Lines: 10
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
NNTP-Posting-Host: host62-6-128-63.host.btclick.com 62.6.128.63
Message-ID: <347_PS8lankm$GA.298@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:25247
Article PK: 155373

Hi,

Does anyone have any information about configuring IIS to use the example
Sybase CA certificates supplied with Jaguar?

Cheers

Alistair Black


Jacek Borowiec Posted on 2000-03-30 14:51:04.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Jacek Borowiec" <jacek_borowiec@glowka.pol.pl>
Subject: Odp: SSL and IIS configuration
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:51:04 +0200
Lines: 26
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2417.2000
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
NNTP-Posting-Host: 195.116.105.180
Message-ID: <347_NhU3kflm$GA.290@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_PS8lankm$GA.298@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:25233
Article PK: 155357

First, you have to generate certificate request from IIS Key manager.
You take generated file to you Jaguar machine and based on request file, you
generate certificate file from security manager. Then you take this file to
your IIS machine and install certificate.
Of course your browser will alarm every time you put https url on
"certified" server, that certificate is not "trusted" but the rest works
fine.
Regards,

Jacek Borowiec
jacek_borowiec@glowka.pol.pl

U¿ytkownik Alistair Black <ablack@investech-solutions.com> w wiadomo¶ci do
grup dyskusyjnych napisa³:PS8lankm$GA.298@forums.sybase.com...

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have any information about configuring IIS to use the example
> Sybase CA certificates supplied with Jaguar?
>
> Cheers
>
> Alistair Black
>
>


Alistair Black Posted on 2000-03-30 15:05:17.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Alistair Black" <ablack@investech-solutions.com>
Subject: Re: SSL and IIS configuration
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:05:17 +0100
Lines: 46
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
NNTP-Posting-Host: host212-140-115-176.host.btclick.com 212.140.115.176
Message-ID: <347_gZQcholm$GA.201@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_PS8lankm$GA.298@forums.sybase.com> <347_NhU3kflm$GA.290@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:25230
Article PK: 155353

Hi Jacek,

I'm trying to avoid contacting a CA at present for a certifcate, as this is
only for a demonstration, and hoped that I would be able to employ the
Sybase test CA within IIS. Is this possible, or do I need to generate a
certificate request as you mention?

Kind regards

Alistair Black
****************************************************************************
******

Jacek Borowiec <jacek_borowiec@glowka.pol.pl> wrote in message
news:NhU3kflm$GA.290@forums.sybase.com...
> First, you have to generate certificate request from IIS Key manager.
> You take generated file to you Jaguar machine and based on request file,
you
> generate certificate file from security manager. Then you take this file
to
> your IIS machine and install certificate.
> Of course your browser will alarm every time you put https url on
> "certified" server, that certificate is not "trusted" but the rest works
> fine.
> Regards,
>
> Jacek Borowiec
> jacek_borowiec@glowka.pol.pl
>
> U¿ytkownik Alistair Black <ablack@investech-solutions.com> w wiadomo¶ci do
> grup dyskusyjnych napisa³:PS8lankm$GA.298@forums.sybase.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone have any information about configuring IIS to use the
example
> > Sybase CA certificates supplied with Jaguar?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Alistair Black
> >
> >
>
>


Larry Cermak[Team Sybase] Posted on 2000-03-31 02:12:31.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Larry Cermak[Team Sybase]" <lcermak@ctpartners.com>
Subject: Re: SSL and IIS configuration
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 20:12:31 -0600
Lines: 67
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: node18.dhcpchi.dslspeed.zyan.com 208.41.199.18
Message-ID: <347_s3lvfgrm$GA.307@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_PS8lankm$GA.298@forums.sybase.com> <347_NhU3kflm$GA.290@forums.sybase.com> <347_gZQcholm$GA.201@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:25154
Article PK: 154253

You can request a 14 day test certificate from Verisign which might work for
your demo.

--

Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]
Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
www.ctpartners.com
Web DataWindow Articles
(http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1001708)

Web DataWindow Training
EAServer Training

"Alistair Black" <ablack@investech-solutions.com> wrote in message
news:gZQcholm$GA.201@forums.sybase.com...
> Hi Jacek,
>
> I'm trying to avoid contacting a CA at present for a certifcate, as this
is
> only for a demonstration, and hoped that I would be able to employ the
> Sybase test CA within IIS. Is this possible, or do I need to generate a
> certificate request as you mention?
>
> Kind regards
>
> Alistair Black
>
****************************************************************************
> ******
>
> Jacek Borowiec <jacek_borowiec@glowka.pol.pl> wrote in message
> news:NhU3kflm$GA.290@forums.sybase.com...
> > First, you have to generate certificate request from IIS Key manager.
> > You take generated file to you Jaguar machine and based on request file,
> you
> > generate certificate file from security manager. Then you take this file
> to
> > your IIS machine and install certificate.
> > Of course your browser will alarm every time you put https url on
> > "certified" server, that certificate is not "trusted" but the rest works
> > fine.
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jacek Borowiec
> > jacek_borowiec@glowka.pol.pl
> >
> > U¿ytkownik Alistair Black <ablack@investech-solutions.com> w wiadomo¶ci
do
> > grup dyskusyjnych napisa³:PS8lankm$GA.298@forums.sybase.com...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any information about configuring IIS to use the
> example
> > > Sybase CA certificates supplied with Jaguar?
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > Alistair Black
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


Alistair Black Posted on 2000-03-31 06:38:49.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Alistair Black" <ablack@investech-solutions.com>
Subject: Re: SSL and IIS configuration
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 07:38:49 +0100
Lines: 83
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
NNTP-Posting-Host: host62-6-135-20.host.btclick.com 62.6.135.20
Message-ID: <347_mN#ESytm$GA.307@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_PS8lankm$GA.298@forums.sybase.com> <347_NhU3kflm$GA.290@forums.sybase.com> <347_gZQcholm$GA.201@forums.sybase.com> <347_s3lvfgrm$GA.307@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:25144
Article PK: 154243

Larry,

Thanks. This sounds like a good option.

Alistair

Larry Cermak[Team Sybase] <lcermak@ctpartners.com> wrote in message
news:s3lvfgrm$GA.307@forums.sybase.com...
> You can request a 14 day test certificate from Verisign which might work
for
> your demo.
>
> --
>
> Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]
> Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
> www.ctpartners.com
> Web DataWindow Articles
> (http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1001708)
>
> Web DataWindow Training
> EAServer Training
>
> "Alistair Black" <ablack@investech-solutions.com> wrote in message
> news:gZQcholm$GA.201@forums.sybase.com...
> > Hi Jacek,
> >
> > I'm trying to avoid contacting a CA at present for a certifcate, as this
> is
> > only for a demonstration, and hoped that I would be able to employ the
> > Sybase test CA within IIS. Is this possible, or do I need to generate a
> > certificate request as you mention?
> >
> > Kind regards
> >
> > Alistair Black
> >
>
****************************************************************************
> > ******
> >
> > Jacek Borowiec <jacek_borowiec@glowka.pol.pl> wrote in message
> > news:NhU3kflm$GA.290@forums.sybase.com...
> > > First, you have to generate certificate request from IIS Key manager.
> > > You take generated file to you Jaguar machine and based on request
file,
> > you
> > > generate certificate file from security manager. Then you take this
file
> > to
> > > your IIS machine and install certificate.
> > > Of course your browser will alarm every time you put https url on
> > > "certified" server, that certificate is not "trusted" but the rest
works
> > > fine.
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Jacek Borowiec
> > > jacek_borowiec@glowka.pol.pl
> > >
> > > U¿ytkownik Alistair Black <ablack@investech-solutions.com> w
wiadomo¶ci
> do
> > > grup dyskusyjnych napisa³:PS8lankm$GA.298@forums.sybase.com...
> > > > Hi,
> > > >
> > > > Does anyone have any information about configuring IIS to use the
> > example
> > > > Sybase CA certificates supplied with Jaguar?
> > > >
> > > > Cheers
> > > >
> > > > Alistair Black
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


Dave Wolf [Sybase] Posted on 2000-03-30 20:58:21.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Dave Wolf [Sybase]" <dwolf@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: SSL and IIS configuration
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:58:21 -0500
Lines: 59
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: PPPa41-ResaleCanada8001-5R1009.saturn.bbn.com 4.16.18.244
Message-ID: <347_9K4AXtom$GA.298@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_PS8lankm$GA.298@forums.sybase.com> <347_NhU3kflm$GA.290@forums.sybase.com> <347_gZQcholm$GA.201@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:25185
Article PK: 228458

The problem is you cannot export the private keys for thos certificates.
That makes them useless for IIS.

Dave Wolf
Internet Applications Division

"Alistair Black" <ablack@investech-solutions.com> wrote in message
news:gZQcholm$GA.201@forums.sybase.com...
> Hi Jacek,
>
> I'm trying to avoid contacting a CA at present for a certifcate, as this
is
> only for a demonstration, and hoped that I would be able to employ the
> Sybase test CA within IIS. Is this possible, or do I need to generate a
> certificate request as you mention?
>
> Kind regards
>
> Alistair Black
>
****************************************************************************
> ******
>
> Jacek Borowiec <jacek_borowiec@glowka.pol.pl> wrote in message
> news:NhU3kflm$GA.290@forums.sybase.com...
> > First, you have to generate certificate request from IIS Key manager.
> > You take generated file to you Jaguar machine and based on request file,
> you
> > generate certificate file from security manager. Then you take this file
> to
> > your IIS machine and install certificate.
> > Of course your browser will alarm every time you put https url on
> > "certified" server, that certificate is not "trusted" but the rest works
> > fine.
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jacek Borowiec
> > jacek_borowiec@glowka.pol.pl
> >
> > U¿ytkownik Alistair Black <ablack@investech-solutions.com> w wiadomo¶ci
do
> > grup dyskusyjnych napisa³:PS8lankm$GA.298@forums.sybase.com...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any information about configuring IIS to use the
> example
> > > Sybase CA certificates supplied with Jaguar?
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > Alistair Black
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


Jacek Borowiec Posted on 2000-04-03 08:20:43.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Jacek Borowiec" <jacek_borowiec@glowka.pol.pl>
Subject: Odp: SSL and IIS configuration
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 10:20:43 +0200
Lines: 74
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2417.2000
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
NNTP-Posting-Host: 195.116.105.180
Message-ID: <347_6TUqJYUn$GA.201@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_PS8lankm$GA.298@forums.sybase.com> <347_NhU3kflm$GA.290@forums.sybase.com> <347_gZQcholm$GA.201@forums.sybase.com> <347_9K4AXtom$GA.298@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:24965
Article PK: 154123

But for starting SSL connection with the browser end estabilish encrypted
session its enough. I've just descirbed in previous posting how to make IIS
running on SSL with minimal effort.

Jacek Borowiec

U¿ytkownik Dave Wolf [Sybase] <dwolf@sybase.com> w wiadomo¶ci do grup
dyskusyjnych napisa³:9K4AXtom$GA.298@forums.sybase.com...

> The problem is you cannot export the private keys for thos certificates.
> That makes them useless for IIS.
>
> Dave Wolf
> Internet Applications Division
>
> "Alistair Black" <ablack@investech-solutions.com> wrote in message
> news:gZQcholm$GA.201@forums.sybase.com...
> > Hi Jacek,
> >
> > I'm trying to avoid contacting a CA at present for a certifcate, as this
> is
> > only for a demonstration, and hoped that I would be able to employ the
> > Sybase test CA within IIS. Is this possible, or do I need to generate a
> > certificate request as you mention?
> >
> > Kind regards
> >
> > Alistair Black
> >
> ************************************
****************************************
> > ******
> >
> > Jacek Borowiec <jacek_borowiec@glowka.pol.pl> wrote in message
> > news:NhU3kflm$GA.290@forums.sybase.com...
> > > First, you have to generate certificate request from IIS Key manager.
> > > You take generated file to you Jaguar machine and based on request
file,
> > you
> > > generate certificate file from security manager. Then you take this
file
> > to
> > > your IIS machine and install certificate.
> > > Of course your browser will alarm every time you put https url on
> > > "certified" server, that certificate is not "trusted" but the rest
works
> > > fine.
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Jacek Borowiec
> > > jacek_borowiec@glowka.pol.pl
> > >
> > > U¿ytkownik Alistair Black <ablack@investech-solutions.com> w
wiadomo¶ci
> do
> > > grup dyskusyjnych napisa³:PS8lankm$GA.298@forums.sybase.com...
> > > > Hi,
> > > >
> > > > Does anyone have any information about configuring IIS to use the
> > example
> > > > Sybase CA certificates supplied with Jaguar?
> > > >
> > > > Cheers
> > > >
> > > > Alistair Black
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>