Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

PING PROBLEM - An Invalid URL was specified to CreateInstance method()

5 posts in General Discussion (old) Last posting was on 2000-02-25 18:19:49.0Z
Garnet Fehr Posted on 2000-02-23 23:28:04.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Garnet Fehr" <garnet.fehr@flexicoil.com>
Subject: PING PROBLEM - An Invalid URL was specified to CreateInstance method()
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:28:04 -0600
Lines: 20
Organization: FlexiCoil
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3110.5
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3110.3
NNTP-Posting-Host: 204.83.221.2
Message-ID: <347_Y0sL4Xlf$GA.265@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27989
Article PK: 159891

To whomever can help me

I am fairly new to the sybase scene. After going through much documentation
I was able to get HTML datawindows up and running on the company intranet.
Everything worked great. Then I decided to reformat one of my datawindows.
After redeploying the "pbl" to the server and loading it into PowerDynamo,
and then rebooting the server(machine), I could not get anything to work,
even though the only changes that took place dealt with the appearance of a
datawindow. I checked over everything and this is what I found. The
passwords for the installed connection caches in Jaguar were missing, and
the connection caches that used to work, including the demo connection
caches, no longer work, the only thing I get when I perform a ping is the
following error message.


An Invalid URL was specified to CreateInstance method()

Any suggestions??


Larry Cermak[Team Sybase] Posted on 2000-02-24 03:33:06.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Larry Cermak[Team Sybase]" <lcermak@ctpartners.com>
Subject: Re: PING PROBLEM - An Invalid URL was specified to CreateInstance method()
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 21:33:06 -0600
Lines: 41
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: node49.dhcpchi.dslspeed.zyan.com 208.41.199.49
Message-ID: <347_PGSz1jnf$GA.276@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_Y0sL4Xlf$GA.265@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27966
Article PK: 159657

You will not see the passwords for connection caches in Jaguar manager. Are
you using the EAS Demo DB as your cache?

Check the srv.log file after you do a ping and see if it has any error
messages.

--

Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]
Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
www.ctpartners.com
Web DataWindow Articles
(http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1001708)

"Garnet Fehr" <garnet.fehr@flexicoil.com> wrote in message
news:Y0sL4Xlf$GA.265@forums.sybase.com...
> To whomever can help me
>
> I am fairly new to the sybase scene. After going through much
documentation
> I was able to get HTML datawindows up and running on the company intranet.
> Everything worked great. Then I decided to reformat one of my
datawindows.
> After redeploying the "pbl" to the server and loading it into PowerDynamo,
> and then rebooting the server(machine), I could not get anything to work,
> even though the only changes that took place dealt with the appearance of
a
> datawindow. I checked over everything and this is what I found. The
> passwords for the installed connection caches in Jaguar were missing, and
> the connection caches that used to work, including the demo connection
> caches, no longer work, the only thing I get when I perform a ping is the
> following error message.
>
>
> An Invalid URL was specified to CreateInstance method()
>
> Any suggestions??
>
>


Garnet Fehr Posted on 2000-02-24 19:54:27.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Garnet Fehr" <garnet.fehr@flexicoil.com>
Subject: Re: PING PROBLEM - An Invalid URL was specified to CreateInstance method()
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 13:54:27 -0600
Lines: 91
Organization: FlexiCoil
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3110.5
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3110.3
NNTP-Posting-Host: 204.83.221.2
Message-ID: <347_EVp8KFwf$GA.201@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_Y0sL4Xlf$GA.265@forums.sybase.com> <347_PGSz1jnf$GA.276@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27899
Article PK: 154599

I actually found out what the problem was, when I started up Jaguar CTS I
connected to the Security Manager as opposed to the Jaguar Manager and
because of that I was getting the error message. I am using a number of
different caches for different purposes. But I do have other problems that
I would like to figure out. For instance, the html datawindows do not
consistently generate. I am using a frames page, which consists of two
frames. The top frame references a page containing an HTML datawindow with
a retrieval argument as does the bottom frame. I used DynaScript to
dynamically create the HTML, below is the code:

//Note this is the code in the frame page

<HTML>
<HEAD></HEAD>
<!-- ECO_main_f.htm -->
<FRAMESET ROWS="63%,*">
<!--Script
eco_id = document.value.eco_id;
document.write("<FRAME NAME='ECO_header' SRC= 'ECO_Header.htm?eco_id=" +
eco_id + " '>");
document.write("<FRAME NAME='ECO_detail' SRC= 'ECO_detail.htm?eco_id=" +
eco_id + " '>");
-->
</FRAMESET>
</HTML>



The result from this code is that in the frame page either one window will
load or the other one will, rarely both will? This inconsistency has me in
the dark. I can always get the window that didn't load, to load, by simply
doing a manual refresh in the frame. I can only assume that this is due to
the limitations of the Jaguar server. So I looked into the parameters
firstly concerning the connection caches and this occurs regardless of
whether the sanity check is on or off. Since I am the only one accessing
the Jaguar Server during this time of development it is not due to limited
connections. This is about all that I can comment on this for now, I would
greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Larry Cermak[Team Sybase] wrote in message ...
>You will not see the passwords for connection caches in Jaguar manager.
Are
>you using the EAS Demo DB as your cache?
>
>Check the srv.log file after you do a ping and see if it has any error
>messages.
>
>--
>
>Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]
>Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
>www.ctpartners.com
>Web DataWindow Articles
>(http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1001708)
>
>"Garnet Fehr" <garnet.fehr@flexicoil.com> wrote in message
>news:Y0sL4Xlf$GA.265@forums.sybase.com...
>> To whomever can help me
>>
>> I am fairly new to the sybase scene. After going through much
>documentation
>> I was able to get HTML datawindows up and running on the company
intranet.
>> Everything worked great. Then I decided to reformat one of my
>datawindows.
>> After redeploying the "pbl" to the server and loading it into
PowerDynamo,
>> and then rebooting the server(machine), I could not get anything to work,
>> even though the only changes that took place dealt with the appearance of
>a
>> datawindow. I checked over everything and this is what I found. The
>> passwords for the installed connection caches in Jaguar were missing, and
>> the connection caches that used to work, including the demo connection
>> caches, no longer work, the only thing I get when I perform a ping is the
>> following error message.
>>
>>
>> An Invalid URL was specified to CreateInstance method()
>>
>> Any suggestions??
>>
>>
>
>


Larry Cermak[Team Sybase] Posted on 2000-02-25 04:41:09.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Larry Cermak[Team Sybase]" <lcermak@ctpartners.com>
Subject: Re: PING PROBLEM - An Invalid URL was specified to CreateInstance method()
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 22:41:09 -0600
Lines: 128
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: node49.dhcpchi.dslspeed.zyan.com 208.41.199.49
Message-ID: <347_PfWXlu0f$GA.251@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_Y0sL4Xlf$GA.265@forums.sybase.com> <347_PGSz1jnf$GA.276@forums.sybase.com> <347_EVp8KFwf$GA.201@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27840
Article PK: 154592

First, always check the srv.log looking for errors. Now for the particular
thing you are seeing, do you get anything on the screen? If nothing
appears, does doing a RMB and refresh load the page? If so, then try
loading the second page in the onload event of the first page. That way,
one will load, then the next. I've fixed the same problem at several
clients with that solution.

The HTMLGenerator component does not do a disconnect and that will sometimes
cause "null" pages to be returned. Is this what you are seeing?

BTW, I've got an article on the sdn about master/detail. You might want to
compare the code there to what you've done.

--

Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]
Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
www.ctpartners.com
Web DataWindow Articles
(http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1001708)

"Garnet Fehr" <garnet.fehr@flexicoil.com> wrote in message
news:EVp8KFwf$GA.201@forums.sybase.com...
> I actually found out what the problem was, when I started up Jaguar CTS I
> connected to the Security Manager as opposed to the Jaguar Manager and
> because of that I was getting the error message. I am using a number of
> different caches for different purposes. But I do have other problems
that
> I would like to figure out. For instance, the html datawindows do not
> consistently generate. I am using a frames page, which consists of two
> frames. The top frame references a page containing an HTML datawindow
with
> a retrieval argument as does the bottom frame. I used DynaScript to
> dynamically create the HTML, below is the code:
>
> file://Note this is the code in the frame page
>
> <HTML>
> <HEAD></HEAD>
> <!-- ECO_main_f.htm -->
> <FRAMESET ROWS="63%,*">
> <!--Script
> eco_id = document.value.eco_id;
> document.write("<FRAME NAME='ECO_header' SRC= 'ECO_Header.htm?eco_id="
+
> eco_id + " '>");
> document.write("<FRAME NAME='ECO_detail' SRC= 'ECO_detail.htm?eco_id="
+
> eco_id + " '>");
> -->
> </FRAMESET>
> </HTML>
>
>
>
> The result from this code is that in the frame page either one window will
> load or the other one will, rarely both will? This inconsistency has me
in
> the dark. I can always get the window that didn't load, to load, by
simply
> doing a manual refresh in the frame. I can only assume that this is due
to
> the limitations of the Jaguar server. So I looked into the parameters
> firstly concerning the connection caches and this occurs regardless of
> whether the sanity check is on or off. Since I am the only one accessing
> the Jaguar Server during this time of development it is not due to limited
> connections. This is about all that I can comment on this for now, I
would
> greatly appreciate any suggestions.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Larry Cermak[Team Sybase] wrote in message ...
> >You will not see the passwords for connection caches in Jaguar manager.
> Are
> >you using the EAS Demo DB as your cache?
> >
> >Check the srv.log file after you do a ping and see if it has any error
> >messages.
> >
> >--
> >
> >Larry Cermak [Team Sybase]
> >Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
> >www.ctpartners.com
> >Web DataWindow Articles
> >(http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/get_doc.stm?loc=1001708)
> >
> >"Garnet Fehr" <garnet.fehr@flexicoil.com> wrote in message
> >news:Y0sL4Xlf$GA.265@forums.sybase.com...
> >> To whomever can help me
> >>
> >> I am fairly new to the sybase scene. After going through much
> >documentation
> >> I was able to get HTML datawindows up and running on the company
> intranet.
> >> Everything worked great. Then I decided to reformat one of my
> >datawindows.
> >> After redeploying the "pbl" to the server and loading it into
> PowerDynamo,
> >> and then rebooting the server(machine), I could not get anything to
work,
> >> even though the only changes that took place dealt with the appearance
of
> >a
> >> datawindow. I checked over everything and this is what I found. The
> >> passwords for the installed connection caches in Jaguar were missing,
and
> >> the connection caches that used to work, including the demo connection
> >> caches, no longer work, the only thing I get when I perform a ping is
the
> >> following error message.
> >>
> >>
> >> An Invalid URL was specified to CreateInstance method()
> >>
> >> Any suggestions??
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>


Garnet Fehr Posted on 2000-02-25 18:19:49.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Garnet Fehr" <garnet.fehr@flexicoil.com>
Subject: Re: PING PROBLEM - An Invalid URL was specified to CreateInstance method()
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 12:19:49 -0600
Lines: 14
Organization: FlexiCoil
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3110.5
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3110.3
NNTP-Posting-Host: 204.83.221.2
Message-ID: <347_W7qI#07f$GA.151@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_Y0sL4Xlf$GA.265@forums.sybase.com> <347_PGSz1jnf$GA.276@forums.sybase.com> <347_EVp8KFwf$GA.201@forums.sybase.com> <347_PfWXlu0f$GA.251@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27786
Article PK: 159137

I have had both scenerio's, where it is returning the word "null" and also
where nothing appears in the frame. I did find one solution though, I
rebooted the server machine and after that everything was working fine. I
am not sure why but it seems to be a good idea to reboot the server machine
after deploying updated files from PowerSite and importing them into
PowerDynamo. I am going to read through the documentation on your page.

However, I have come accross other problems, Internet Explorer 4.0 and HTML
Datawindows with multiple rows do not mix! So we are going to migrate to
the DataWindow ActiveX component and test its performance. Do you know of
any solutions besides limiting the number of rows displayed to increase
performance on IE 4?