Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

PB7 wont save update with Jaguar & powersite open

6 posts in General Discussion (old) Last posting was on 2000-04-02 03:11:59.0Z
Marc Whitney Posted on 2000-03-31 17:14:31.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
Subject: PB7 wont save update with Jaguar & powersite open
From: marcwhitney@compuserve.com (Marc Whitney)
Organization: MW Inc.
X-Newsreader: WinVN 0.99.9 (Released Version) (x86 32bit)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: Text/Plain; charset=US-ASCII
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 12:14:31 -0500
Lines: 14
NNTP-Posting-Host: sfr-qbu-pqi-vty67.as.wcom.net 216.192.51.67
Message-ID: <347_bl3XUSzm$GA.298@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:25076
Article PK: 154190

Sorry to have to post this because I remember there was a thread on this before
but I did not catch it -

I have PB7 , powersite and Jaguar open and running on a standalone PC - If I
make a change in PB7 script that updates a Jaguar component, I must continually
shut down Jaguar and re-start it to get PB7 to save the update to the script
and send it to Jaguar. What is the setting in which product that will allow my
updates to occur without having to continually shutdown Jaguar and re-open it?

Thanks!
Marc


^*^GothicCastle^*^ Posted on 2000-04-01 11:13:28.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 12:13:28 +0100
From: ^*^GothicCastle^*^ <^*^GothicCastle^*^@hotmail.com>
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.7 [en] (Win98; I)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: PB7 wont save update with Jaguar & powersite open
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 21
NNTP-Posting-Host: tnt-15-214.easynet.co.uk 212.134.26.214
Message-ID: <347_38E5D9D8.B042C2FF@hotmail.com>
References: <347_bl3XUSzm$GA.298@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:25011
Article PK: 154144

Marc,

I've had this problem a number of times and turning off the instance pooling does
sort it most of the time, but not always. If I remember correctly there is a
document on sdn that deals with this. You may want to have a look.

Davlon

Marc Whitney wrote:

> Sorry to have to post this because I remember there was a thread on this before
> but I did not catch it -
>
> I have PB7 , powersite and Jaguar open and running on a standalone PC - If I
> make a change in PB7 script that updates a Jaguar component, I must continually
> shut down Jaguar and re-start it to get PB7 to save the update to the script
> and send it to Jaguar. What is the setting in which product that will allow my
> updates to occur without having to continually shutdown Jaguar and re-open it?
>
> Thanks!
> Marc


Greg Clausen Posted on 2000-03-31 19:21:24.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 14:21:24 -0500
From: Greg Clausen <clausen@sybase.com>
Organization: Sybase, Inc.
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.5 [en]C-CCK-MCD (WinNT; I)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: PB7 wont save update with Jaguar & powersite open
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 23
NNTP-Posting-Host: 204.167.35.136
Message-ID: <347_38E4FAB4.E550531B@sybase.com>
References: <347_bl3XUSzm$GA.298@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:25051
Article PK: 154166

I think the property you are referring to is Instance "Pooling". What's happening
is Jaguar has an instance of the component in the Instance Pool and therefore won't
let you update an object that is open. Turn Instance "Pooling" off while in
development, obviously remember to turn it back on when you're ready to go live.

Marc Whitney wrote:

> Sorry to have to post this because I remember there was a thread on this before
> but I did not catch it -
>
> I have PB7 , powersite and Jaguar open and running on a standalone PC - If I
> make a change in PB7 script that updates a Jaguar component, I must continually
> shut down Jaguar and re-start it to get PB7 to save the update to the script
> and send it to Jaguar. What is the setting in which product that will allow my
> updates to occur without having to continually shutdown Jaguar and re-open it?
>
> Thanks!
> Marc


Carson Hager[Team Sybase] Posted on 2000-03-31 22:08:38.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: chager@dyn-data.com (Carson Hager[Team Sybase])
Subject: Re: PB7 wont save update with Jaguar & powersite open
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 22:08:38 GMT
Organization: Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.21/32.243
Lines: 50
NNTP-Posting-Host: charon.lifescape.com 63.86.26.130
Message-ID: <347_38e52168.7635729@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_bl3XUSzm$GA.298@forums.sybase.com> <347_38E4FAB4.E550531B@sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:25038
Article PK: 155326

Instance pooling will definitely not cause this behavior as
redeployment does not overwrite the PBD - it creates a new PBD in
another directory. Do you possibly have live editing turned on?


Carson

___________________________________________________________

Carson Hager
Team Sybase
Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training
http://www.dyn-data.com

DDS is now hiring EAServer consultants
to support its exploding EAServer business!
Please submit your resume to
hr@dyn-data.com!


On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 14:21:24 -0500, Greg Clausen <clausen@sybase.com>

wrote:

>I think the property you are referring to is Instance "Pooling". What's happening
>is Jaguar has an instance of the component in the Instance Pool and therefore won't
>let you update an object that is open. Turn Instance "Pooling" off while in
>development, obviously remember to turn it back on when you're ready to go live.
>
>Marc Whitney wrote:
>
>> Sorry to have to post this because I remember there was a thread on this before
>> but I did not catch it -
>>
>> I have PB7 , powersite and Jaguar open and running on a standalone PC - If I
>> make a change in PB7 script that updates a Jaguar component, I must continually
>> shut down Jaguar and re-start it to get PB7 to save the update to the script
>> and send it to Jaguar. What is the setting in which product that will allow my
>> updates to occur without having to continually shutdown Jaguar and re-open it?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Marc
>

___________________________________________________________

Carson Hager
Team Sybase
Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training

DDS Enterprise Application Framework
Available Now as Open Source!
http://www.dyn-data.com


Kevin Posted on 2000-04-01 23:47:55.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
Reply-To: "Kevin" <kjr_23@yahoo.com.nospam>
From: "Kevin" <kjr_23@yahoo.com.nospam>
Subject: Re: PB7 wont save update with Jaguar & powersite open
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 18:47:55 -0500
Lines: 78
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: 208-58-249-66.s66.tnt1.nwhv.ct.dialup.rcn.com 208.58.249.66
Message-ID: <347_KQnN5UDn$GA.202@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_bl3XUSzm$GA.298@forums.sybase.com> <347_38E4FAB4.E550531B@sybase.com> <347_38e52168.7635729@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:24997
Article PK: 154132

You don't mention it, but it sounds like you are using the HTML generator
component. That's what Greg is referring to. If that is the case, it does
some locking with instance pooling on. I thought it was locking individual
datawindow level, but maybe it locks the whole pbl, I don't recall? Try
removing the pooling for development.

Kevin

"Carson Hager[Team Sybase]" <chager@dyn-data.com> wrote in message
news:38e52168.7635729@forums.sybase.com...
> Instance pooling will definitely not cause this behavior as
> redeployment does not overwrite the PBD - it creates a new PBD in
> another directory. Do you possibly have live editing turned on?
>
>
> Carson
>
> ___________________________________________________________
>
> Carson Hager
> Team Sybase
> Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
> Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training
> http://www.dyn-data.com
>
> DDS is now hiring EAServer consultants
> to support its exploding EAServer business!
> Please submit your resume to
> hr@dyn-data.com!
>
>
> On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 14:21:24 -0500, Greg Clausen <clausen@sybase.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I think the property you are referring to is Instance "Pooling". What's
happening
> >is Jaguar has an instance of the component in the Instance Pool and
therefore won't
> >let you update an object that is open. Turn Instance "Pooling" off while
in
> >development, obviously remember to turn it back on when you're ready to
go live.
> >
> >Marc Whitney wrote:
> >
> >> Sorry to have to post this because I remember there was a thread on
this before
> >> but I did not catch it -
> >>
> >> I have PB7 , powersite and Jaguar open and running on a standalone PC -
If I
> >> make a change in PB7 script that updates a Jaguar component, I must
continually
> >> shut down Jaguar and re-start it to get PB7 to save the update to the
script
> >> and send it to Jaguar. What is the setting in which product that will
allow my
> >> updates to occur without having to continually shutdown Jaguar and
re-open it?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> Marc
> >
>
>
> ___________________________________________________________
>
> Carson Hager
> Team Sybase
> Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
> Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training
>
> DDS Enterprise Application Framework
> Available Now as Open Source!
> http://www.dyn-data.com
>


Carson Hager[Team Sybase] Posted on 2000-04-02 03:11:59.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: chager@dyn-data.com (Carson Hager[Team Sybase])
Subject: Re: PB7 wont save update with Jaguar & powersite open
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 03:11:59 GMT
Organization: Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.21/32.243
Lines: 91
NNTP-Posting-Host: charon.lifescape.com 63.86.26.130
Message-ID: <347_38e6ba4f.112314689@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_bl3XUSzm$GA.298@forums.sybase.com> <347_38E4FAB4.E550531B@sybase.com> <347_38e52168.7635729@forums.sybase.com> <347_KQnN5UDn$GA.202@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:24996
Article PK: 154130

Given that he's talking about a PB script and component, it looks more
related to comp deployment than a web dw locking issue.


Carson

___________________________________________________________

Carson Hager
Team Sybase
Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training
http://www.dyn-data.com

DDS is now hiring EAServer consultants
to support its exploding EAServer business!
Please submit your resume to
hr@dyn-data.com!


On Sat, 1 Apr 2000 18:47:55 -0500, "Kevin" <kjr_23@yahoo.com.nospam>

wrote:

>You don't mention it, but it sounds like you are using the HTML generator
>component. That's what Greg is referring to. If that is the case, it does
>some locking with instance pooling on. I thought it was locking individual
>datawindow level, but maybe it locks the whole pbl, I don't recall? Try
>removing the pooling for development.
>
>Kevin
>
>"Carson Hager[Team Sybase]" <chager@dyn-data.com> wrote in message
>news:38e52168.7635729@forums.sybase.com...
>> Instance pooling will definitely not cause this behavior as
>> redeployment does not overwrite the PBD - it creates a new PBD in
>> another directory. Do you possibly have live editing turned on?
>>
>>
>> Carson
>>
>> ___________________________________________________________
>>
>> Carson Hager
>> Team Sybase
>> Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
>> Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training
>> http://www.dyn-data.com
>>
>> DDS is now hiring EAServer consultants
>> to support its exploding EAServer business!
>> Please submit your resume to
>> hr@dyn-data.com!
>>
>>
>> On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 14:21:24 -0500, Greg Clausen <clausen@sybase.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I think the property you are referring to is Instance "Pooling". What's
>happening
>> >is Jaguar has an instance of the component in the Instance Pool and
>therefore won't
>> >let you update an object that is open. Turn Instance "Pooling" off while
>in
>> >development, obviously remember to turn it back on when you're ready to
>go live.
>> >
>> >Marc Whitney wrote:
>> >
>> >> Sorry to have to post this because I remember there was a thread on
>this before
>> >> but I did not catch it -
>> >>
>> >> I have PB7 , powersite and Jaguar open and running on a standalone PC -
>If I
>> >> make a change in PB7 script that updates a Jaguar component, I must
>continually
>> >> shut down Jaguar and re-start it to get PB7 to save the update to the
>script
>> >> and send it to Jaguar. What is the setting in which product that will
>allow my
>> >> updates to occur without having to continually shutdown Jaguar and
>re-open it?
>> >>
>> >> Thanks!
>> >> Marc
>> >
>>
>>
>> ___________________________________________________________
>>
>> Carson Hager
>> Team Sybase
>> Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
>> Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training
>>
>> DDS Enterprise Application Framework
>> Available Now as Open Source!
>> http://www.dyn-data.com
>>
>
>

___________________________________________________________

Carson Hager
Team Sybase
Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc.
Enterprise Application Studio 3.0 Consulting and Training

DDS Enterprise Application Framework
Available Now as Open Source!
http://www.dyn-data.com