Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Can Jaguar run on NT workstation or does it need NT server?

8 posts in General Discussion (old) Last posting was on 2000-03-06 20:38:25.0Z
kevin hayes Posted on 2000-03-03 22:03:42.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "kevin hayes" <khayes@bost.com>
Subject: Can Jaguar run on NT workstation or does it need NT server?
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 15:03:42 -0700
Lines: 5
Organization: boston chicken
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3612.1700
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3612.1700
NNTP-Posting-Host: bci.bost.com 199.117.218.220
Message-ID: <347_eHaqI0Vh$GA.251@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27184
Article PK: 158102

I am having trouble installing EAStudio which includes the Jaguar CTS on a
NT workstation pc. Does Jaguar need to be on NT server or can it run on NT
workstation?


Jeff Strike Posted on 2000-03-03 22:58:41.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: Jeff Strike <jstrike@wje.com>
Subject: Re: Can Jaguar run on NT workstation or does it need NT server?
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 16:58:41 -0600
Reply-To: jstrike@wje.com
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 1.7/32.534
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 16
NNTP-Posting-Host: wjetelnet.wje.com 12.27.23.134
Message-ID: <347_7ng0cs84jkoc0bgtj390ii86a03dqdjjcf@4ax.com>
References: <347_eHaqI0Vh$GA.251@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27178
Article PK: 158093

When I was at TechWave every class I was at where Jaguar was used had
it running on Workstation. I set it up on Windows 2000 for a while to
test it out and it was working great. I'm considering upgrading my
development server to 2000 to test out how well it will handle the
transition from NT4 to 2000 AS and then test out how well it will
perform.

-Jeff

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 15:03:42 -0700, "kevin hayes" <khayes@bost.com>

wrote:

>I am having trouble installing EAStudio which includes the Jaguar CTS on a
>NT workstation pc. Does Jaguar need to be on NT server or can it run on NT
>workstation?
>


Dave Wolf [Sybase] Posted on 2000-03-04 14:12:20.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Dave Wolf [Sybase]" <dwolf@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Can Jaguar run on NT workstation or does it need NT server?
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 09:12:20 -0500
Lines: 28
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: 158.159.8.15
Message-ID: <347_IpQ1zQeh$GA.285@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_eHaqI0Vh$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_7ng0cs84jkoc0bgtj390ii86a03dqdjjcf@4ax.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27158
Article PK: 158083

EAS is not certified under W2K

Dave Wolf
Internet Applications Division

"Jeff Strike" <jstrike@wje.com> wrote in message
news:7ng0cs84jkoc0bgtj390ii86a03dqdjjcf@4ax.com...
> When I was at TechWave every class I was at where Jaguar was used had
> it running on Workstation. I set it up on Windows 2000 for a while to
> test it out and it was working great. I'm considering upgrading my
> development server to 2000 to test out how well it will handle the
> transition from NT4 to 2000 AS and then test out how well it will
> perform.
>
> -Jeff
>
> On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 15:03:42 -0700, "kevin hayes" <khayes@bost.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I am having trouble installing EAStudio which includes the Jaguar CTS on
a
> >NT workstation pc. Does Jaguar need to be on NT server or can it run on
NT
> >workstation?
> >
>


Dave Wolf [Sybase] Posted on 2000-03-03 22:23:56.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Dave Wolf [Sybase]" <dwolf@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Can Jaguar run on NT workstation or does it need NT server?
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 17:23:56 -0500
Lines: 15
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: dwolf-nt.sybase.com 157.133.41.148
Message-ID: <347_SgBp1#Vh$GA.251@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_eHaqI0Vh$GA.251@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27180
Article PK: 158097

I run it on workstation.

Dave Wolf
Internet Applications Division

"kevin hayes" <khayes@bost.com> wrote in message
news:eHaqI0Vh$GA.251@forums.sybase.com...
> I am having trouble installing EAStudio which includes the Jaguar CTS on a
> NT workstation pc. Does Jaguar need to be on NT server or can it run on
NT
> workstation?
>
>


Ken Hudson Posted on 2000-03-04 06:17:58.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Ken Hudson" <ken@khudson.com>
Subject: Re: Can Jaguar run on NT workstation or does it need NT server?
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 06:17:58 -0000
Lines: 26
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: ny-tc-ppp19.monmouth.com 209.191.41.20
Message-ID: <347_2bCpEvch$GA.74@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_eHaqI0Vh$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_SgBp1#Vh$GA.251@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27160
Article PK: 158081

I have been running it on NT workstation as well and it works fine.
Question is, for a large site, would clustered NT workstations work? For
instance, what did you use for the Sybase Open site where you got many hits?

Ken

"Dave Wolf [Sybase]" <dwolf@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:SgBp1#Vh$GA.251@forums.sybase.com...
> I run it on workstation.
>
> Dave Wolf
> Internet Applications Division
>
> "kevin hayes" <khayes@bost.com> wrote in message
> news:eHaqI0Vh$GA.251@forums.sybase.com...
> > I am having trouble installing EAStudio which includes the Jaguar CTS on
a
> > NT workstation pc. Does Jaguar need to be on NT server or can it run on
> NT
> > workstation?
> >
> >
>
>


Dave Wolf [Sybase] Posted on 2000-03-06 00:32:46.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Dave Wolf [Sybase]" <dwolf@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Can Jaguar run on NT workstation or does it need NT server?
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 19:32:46 -0500
Lines: 43
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: 158.159.8.22
Message-ID: <347_4I1sMQwh$GA.202@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_eHaqI0Vh$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_SgBp1#Vh$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_2bCpEvch$GA.74@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27142
Article PK: 158064

In the SybaseOpen we were using NT Servers. Im not sure in all honstly
whether there is much of a difference. We didnt cluster the NT hardware, we
used third party HA solutions for the TCP traffic, i.e. for the HTTP, and
use EAS clusters for the app server HA.

We'll do a whitepaper on the SybaseOpen architecure.

Dave Wolf
Internet Applications Division

"Ken Hudson" <ken@khudson.com> wrote in message
news:2bCpEvch$GA.74@forums.sybase.com...
> I have been running it on NT workstation as well and it works fine.
> Question is, for a large site, would clustered NT workstations work? For
> instance, what did you use for the Sybase Open site where you got many
hits?
>
> Ken
>
> "Dave Wolf [Sybase]" <dwolf@sybase.com> wrote in message
> news:SgBp1#Vh$GA.251@forums.sybase.com...
> > I run it on workstation.
> >
> > Dave Wolf
> > Internet Applications Division
> >
> > "kevin hayes" <khayes@bost.com> wrote in message
> > news:eHaqI0Vh$GA.251@forums.sybase.com...
> > > I am having trouble installing EAStudio which includes the Jaguar CTS
on
> a
> > > NT workstation pc. Does Jaguar need to be on NT server or can it run
on
> > NT
> > > workstation?
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


Evan Ireland Posted on 2000-03-06 20:38:25.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 09:38:25 +1300
From: Evan Ireland <eireland@sybase.com>
Organization: Sybase, Inc.
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.7 [en] (WinNT; U)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: "Dave Wolf [Sybase]" <dwolf@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Can Jaguar run on NT workstation or does it need NT server?
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 23
NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-eme-062.sybase.com 130.214.8.62
Message-ID: <347_38C41741.D0A84748@sybase.com>
References: <347_eHaqI0Vh$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_SgBp1#Vh$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_2bCpEvch$GA.74@forums.sybase.com> <347_4I1sMQwh$GA.202@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27057
Article PK: 157994


"Dave Wolf [Sybase]" wrote:
>
> In the SybaseOpen we were using NT Servers. Im not sure in all honstly
> whether there is much of a difference. We didnt cluster the NT hardware, we
> used third party HA solutions for the TCP traffic, i.e. for the HTTP, and
> use EAS clusters for the app server HA.

NT Workstation is fine for development, but unless you have a very small
user base you may need to use NT Server for deployment, but not for any
technical reasons.

Anyone who uses NT Workstation to service more than 10 clients via TCP/IP is
apparently in violation of their MS license agreement. Complain to Microsoft
if you don't like it.
________________________________________________________________________________

Evan Ireland Sybase EA Server Engineering eireland@sybase.com
Wellington - New Zealand +64 4 934-5856


Basant Gupta Posted on 2000-03-03 22:11:41.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 14:11:41 -0800
From: Basant Gupta <basantg@yahoo.com>
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.61 [en] (WinNT; I)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: Can Jaguar run on NT workstation or does it need NT server?
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 9
NNTP-Posting-Host: 207.171.209.94
Message-ID: <347_38C0389D.A428976D@yahoo.com>
References: <347_eHaqI0Vh$GA.251@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27181
Article PK: 158098

Jaguar can definately be on an NT workstation. That's the configuration that I
currently have. What errors are you having ?

kevin hayes wrote:

> I am having trouble installing EAStudio which includes the Jaguar CTS on a
> NT workstation pc. Does Jaguar need to be on NT server or can it run on NT
> workstation?