Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Asigning unique id to each user connection

11 posts in General Discussion (old) Last posting was on 2000-03-09 16:03:48.0Z
Jon Posted on 2000-02-29 10:47:52.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Jon" <jzuazoa@nexo.es>
Subject: Asigning unique id to each user connection
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:47:52 +0100
Lines: 8
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
NNTP-Posting-Host: 194.30.73.210
Message-ID: <347_xH$cMNqg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27544
Article PK: 158925

I need to perform some specific processing based on an unique number for
each user connected to my web site (PDynamo). I have taken a look at
Math.random() and Date.parse() JScripts methods to do this. None of them
suits me completely. Do you have any better idea?

Thanks


Dave Wolf [Sybase] Posted on 2000-02-29 15:35:39.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Dave Wolf [Sybase]" <dwolf@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Asigning unique id to each user connection
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 10:35:39 -0500
Lines: 19
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: 158.159.8.29
Message-ID: <347_JjMFqssg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_xH$cMNqg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27505
Article PK: 158893

Grab the cookie ID

id = site.GetServerVariable("COOKIE");

Dave Wolf
Internet Applications Division

"Jon" <jzuazoa@nexo.es> wrote in message
news:xH$cMNqg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com...
> I need to perform some specific processing based on an unique number for
> each user connected to my web site (PDynamo). I have taken a look at
> Math.random() and Date.parse() JScripts methods to do this. None of them
> suits me completely. Do you have any better idea?
>
> Thanks
>
>


Jon Posted on 2000-03-01 08:09:48.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Jon" <jzuazoa@nexo.es>
Subject: RE: Asigning unique id to each user connection
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 09:09:48 +0100
Lines: 32
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
NNTP-Posting-Host: 194.30.73.210
Message-ID: <347_YirqgZ1g$GA.251@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_xH$cMNqg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_JjMFqssg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27442
Article PK: 158841

Dave,

Following PD reference manual, when trying with
document.GetServerVariable("cookie") for IIS4 web server, it returns no
results at all. Do yo know what I am missing?


Dave Wolf [Sybase] <dwolf@sybase.com> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
JjMFqssg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com...

> Grab the cookie ID
>
> id = site.GetServerVariable("COOKIE");
>
> Dave Wolf
> Internet Applications Division
>
> "Jon" <jzuazoa@nexo.es> wrote in message
> news:xH$cMNqg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com...
> > I need to perform some specific processing based on an unique number for
> > each user connected to my web site (PDynamo). I have taken a look at
> > Math.random() and Date.parse() JScripts methods to do this. None of them
> > suits me completely. Do you have any better idea?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> >
>
>


Joe Coady Posted on 2000-03-01 19:18:52.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 13:18:52 -0600
From: Joe Coady <jcoady@langui.com>
Organization: LANGUI Systems Inc
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.7 [en] (WinNT; I)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: Asigning unique id to each user connection
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Lines: 24
NNTP-Posting-Host: 154.11.214.137
Message-ID: <347_38BD6D1C.625329B7@langui.com>
References: <347_xH$cMNqg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_JjMFqssg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_YirqgZ1g$GA.251@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27411
Article PK: 158816

Jon,

Try the site object not the document.

Joe

Jon wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Following PD reference manual, when trying with
> document.GetServerVariable("cookie") for IIS4 web server, it returns no
> results at all. Do yo know what I am missing?
>
> Dave Wolf [Sybase] <dwolf@sybase.com> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
> JjMFqssg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com...
> > Grab the cookie ID
> >
> > id = site.GetServerVariable("COOKIE");
> >
> > Dave Wolf
> > Internet Applications Division
> >
> > "Jon" <jzuazoa@nexo.es> wrote in message
> > news:xH$cMNqg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com...
> > > I need to perform some specific processing based on an unique number for
> > > each user connected to my web site (PDynamo). I have taken a look at
> > > Math.random() and Date.parse() JScripts methods to do this. None of them
> > > suits me completely. Do you have any better idea?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > >
> >
> >


Joe Coady Posted on 2000-03-01 19:38:42.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 13:38:42 -0600
From: Joe Coady <jcoady@langui.com>
Organization: LANGUI Systems Inc
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.7 [en] (WinNT; I)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: Asigning unique id to each user connection
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 3
NNTP-Posting-Host: 154.11.214.137
Message-ID: <347_38BD71C2.885EC060@langui.com>
References: <347_xH$cMNqg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_JjMFqssg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_YirqgZ1g$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_38BD6D1C.625329B7@langui.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27407
Article PK: 158811

Sorry about my last one Jon. I tried what Dave asked and have the same
question you have. What is it?

Joe


Dave Wolf [Sybase] Posted on 2000-03-03 02:53:03.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Dave Wolf [Sybase]" <dwolf@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Asigning unique id to each user connection
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 21:53:03 -0500
Lines: 14
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: 158.159.8.10
Message-ID: <347_RhkkjwLh$GA.295@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_xH$cMNqg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_JjMFqssg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_YirqgZ1g$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_38BD6D1C.625329B7@langui.com> <347_38BD71C2.885EC060@langui.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27259
Article PK: 154512

Im lost, what are you asking now?

Dave Wolf
Internet Applications Division

"Joe Coady" <jcoady@langui.com> wrote in message
news:38BD71C2.885EC060@langui.com...
> Sorry about my last one Jon. I tried what Dave asked and have the same
> question you have. What is it?
>
> Joe
>


Jon Posted on 2000-03-03 09:21:33.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Jon" <jzuazoa@nexo.es>
Subject: RE: Asigning unique id to each user connection
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 10:21:33 +0100
Lines: 24
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
NNTP-Posting-Host: 194.30.73.210
Message-ID: <347_LqMOzLPh$GA.285@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_xH$cMNqg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_JjMFqssg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_YirqgZ1g$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_38BD6D1C.625329B7@langui.com> <347_38BD71C2.885EC060@langui.com> <347_RhkkjwLh$GA.295@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27249
Article PK: 158157

Dave,

It is just that following PD reference manual, when trying with
document.GetServerVariable("cookie") for IIS4 web server, it returns no
results at all. Do yo know what I am missing?

Dave Wolf [Sybase] <dwolf@sybase.com> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
RhkkjwLh$GA.295@forums.sybase.com...

> Im lost, what are you asking now?
>
> Dave Wolf
> Internet Applications Division
>
> "Joe Coady" <jcoady@langui.com> wrote in message
> news:38BD71C2.885EC060@langui.com...
> > Sorry about my last one Jon. I tried what Dave asked and have the same
> > question you have. What is it?
> >
> > Joe
> >
>
>


Dave Wolf [Sybase] Posted on 2000-03-03 14:04:39.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Dave Wolf [Sybase]" <dwolf@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Asigning unique id to each user connection
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 09:04:39 -0500
Lines: 34
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-eme-024.sybase.com 130.214.8.24
Message-ID: <347_6AX81nRh$GA.201@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_xH$cMNqg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_JjMFqssg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_YirqgZ1g$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_38BD6D1C.625329B7@langui.com> <347_38BD71C2.885EC060@langui.com> <347_RhkkjwLh$GA.295@forums.sybase.com> <347_LqMOzLPh$GA.285@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27234
Article PK: 158142

Hmmm I dont have IIS to test this. Does anyone else here?

Dave Wolf
Internet Applications Division

"Jon" <jzuazoa@nexo.es> wrote in message
news:LqMOzLPh$GA.285@forums.sybase.com...
> Dave,
>
> It is just that following PD reference manual, when trying with
> document.GetServerVariable("cookie") for IIS4 web server, it returns no
> results at all. Do yo know what I am missing?
>
> Dave Wolf [Sybase] <dwolf@sybase.com> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
> RhkkjwLh$GA.295@forums.sybase.com...
> > Im lost, what are you asking now?
> >
> > Dave Wolf
> > Internet Applications Division
> >
> > "Joe Coady" <jcoady@langui.com> wrote in message
> > news:38BD71C2.885EC060@langui.com...
> > > Sorry about my last one Jon. I tried what Dave asked and have the
same
> > > question you have. What is it?
> > >
> > > Joe
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


Carlos Sanchez Posted on 2000-03-03 23:09:20.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: herruzo@ctv.es (Carlos Sanchez)
Subject: Re: Asigning unique id to each user connection
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 23:09:20 GMT
Reply-To: herruzo@ctv.es
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.11/32.235
Lines: 28
NNTP-Posting-Host: ctv21225131100.ctv.es 212.25.131.100
Message-ID: <347_38c045c1.3539489@forums.powersoft.com>
References: <347_xH$cMNqg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_JjMFqssg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_YirqgZ1g$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_38BD6D1C.625329B7@langui.com> <347_38BD71C2.885EC060@langui.com> <347_RhkkjwLh$GA.295@forums.sybase.com> <347_LqMOzLPh$GA.285@forums.sybase.com> <347_6AX81nRh$GA.201@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27177
Article PK: 158094

id=document.GetServerVariable("HTTP_COOKIE")
-
Carlos Sanchez
csanchez@intesys.es


On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 09:04:39 -0500, "Dave Wolf [Sybase]"

<dwolf@sybase.com> wrote:

>Hmmm I dont have IIS to test this. Does anyone else here?
>
>Dave Wolf
>Internet Applications Division
>
>"Jon" <jzuazoa@nexo.es> wrote in message
>news:LqMOzLPh$GA.285@forums.sybase.com...
>> Dave,
>>
>> It is just that following PD reference manual, when trying with
>> document.GetServerVariable("cookie") for IIS4 web server, it returns no
>> results at all. Do yo know what I am missing?
>>
>> Dave Wolf [Sybase] <dwolf@sybase.com> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
>> RhkkjwLh$GA.295@forums.sybase.com...
>> > Im lost, what are you asking now?
>> >
>> > Dave Wolf
>> > Internet Applications Division
>> >
>> > "Joe Coady" <jcoady@langui.com> wrote in message
>> > news:38BD71C2.885EC060@langui.com...
>> > > Sorry about my last one Jon. I tried what Dave asked and have the
>same
>> > > question you have. What is it?
>> > >
>> > > Joe
>> > >
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>
>


Carlos Sanchez Posted on 2000-03-09 16:03:48.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: csanchez@intesys.es (Carlos Sanchez)
Subject: Re: Asigning unique id to each user connection
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 16:03:48 GMT
Organization: Intesys
Reply-To: csanchez@intesys.es
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.11/32.235
Lines: 42
NNTP-Posting-Host: 212.95.197.141
Message-ID: <347_38c7c84d.28400627@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_xH$cMNqg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_JjMFqssg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_YirqgZ1g$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_38BD6D1C.625329B7@langui.com> <347_38BD71C2.885EC060@langui.com> <347_RhkkjwLh$GA.295@forums.sybase.com> <347_LqMOzLPh$GA.285@forums.sybase.com> <347_6AX81nRh$GA.201@forums.sybase.com> <347_38c045c1.3539489@forums.powersoft.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:26796
Article PK: 157772

Jon,

"Session objects are created once they are accessed."
I think, before you can get the cookie value, session must be created.

You can create a session asigning a value.
session.algo=1;

Next time the client request a page, the cookie can be read;
id=document.GetServerVariable("HTTP_COOKIE");

Tested in IIS4 - NT4 SP5 & SP6 WorkStation and Server; PowerDynamo 3.5
-
Carlos Sanchez
csanchez@intesys.es

>On Fri, 03 Mar 2000 23:09:20 GMT, herruzo@ctv.es (Carlos Sanchez) wrote:

>id=document.GetServerVariable("HTTP_COOKIE")
>-
>Carlos Sanchez
>csanchez@intesys.es
>
>
>On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 09:04:39 -0500, "Dave Wolf [Sybase]"
><dwolf@sybase.com> wrote:
>
>>Hmmm I dont have IIS to test this. Does anyone else here?
>>
>>Dave Wolf
>>Internet Applications Division
>>
>>"Jon" <jzuazoa@nexo.es> wrote in message
>>news:LqMOzLPh$GA.285@forums.sybase.com...
>>> Dave,
>>>
>>> It is just that following PD reference manual, when trying with
>>> document.GetServerVariable("cookie") for IIS4 web server, it returns no
>>> results at all. Do yo know what I am missing?
>>>
>>> Dave Wolf [Sybase] <dwolf@sybase.com> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
>>> RhkkjwLh$GA.295@forums.sybase.com...
>>> > Im lost, what are you asking now?
>>> >
>>> > Dave Wolf
>>> > Internet Applications Division
>>> >
>>> > "Joe Coady" <jcoady@langui.com> wrote in message
>>> > news:38BD71C2.885EC060@langui.com...
>>> > > Sorry about my last one Jon. I tried what Dave asked and have the
>>same
>>> > > question you have. What is it?
>>> > >
>>> > > Joe
>>> > >
>>> >
>>> >
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>


Jon Posted on 2000-03-01 08:09:12.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.easerver
From: "Jon" <jzuazoa@nexo.es>
Subject: RE: Asigning unique id to each user connection
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 09:09:12 +0100
Lines: 30
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
NNTP-Posting-Host: 194.30.73.210
Message-ID: <347_nwZkMZ1g$GA.251@forums.sybase.com>
References: <347_xH$cMNqg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com> <347_JjMFqssg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.easerver:27443
Article PK: 158842

Dave,

Following PD reference manual, when trying with
document.GetServerVariable("cookie") for IIS4 web server, it returns no
results at all. Do yo know what I am missing?


Dave Wolf [Sybase] <dwolf@sybase.com> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
JjMFqssg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com...

> Grab the cookie ID
>
> id = site.GetServerVariable("COOKIE");
>
> Dave Wolf
> Internet Applications Division
>
> "Jon" <jzuazoa@nexo.es> wrote in message
> news:xH$cMNqg$GA.251@forums.sybase.com...
> > I need to perform some specific processing based on an unique number for
> > each user connected to my web site (PDynamo). I have taken a look at
> > Math.random() and Date.parse() JScripts methods to do this. None of them
> > suits me completely. Do you have any better idea?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> >
>
>