Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Creating PBDs in Infomaker

10 posts in PB Infomaker Report Writer Last posting was on 1998-07-09 10:53:11.0Z
Bob Bowles Posted on 1998-07-08 00:11:18.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
From: "Bob Bowles" <bob@medconet.com>
Subject: Creating PBDs in Infomaker
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 20:11:18 -0400
Lines: 38
Organization: Medco
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.2106.4
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.2106.4
Message-ID: <348_#xQWKvfq9GA.221@forums.powersoft.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.powersoft.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:7021
Article PK: 243051

I just installed IM 6.0. According to the online help, you can create a
runtime library just as you can in PB. The instructions suggest there is a
library painter, but I can't find it. I have checked the customize powerbar
/ painter bar feature and there is no such painter. I have included the
instructions from the online help below in hopes someone can point me in the
right direction.

Bob Bowles
Medco Review, Inc.

ONLINE HELP:

Build Runtime Library

If you want your distributed application to use dynamic, runtime libraries,
you can create them here.

¨ To create a runtime library:

1 First select the library you want to use to build a runtime library.
2 Select Library>Build Runtime Library from the Library painter menubar.
3 Specify resources the current library may use, as necessary.
4 Specify type of build,optimization choices, and Executable format.
5 For 32-bit platforms, select:

· Machine Code to generate compiled code
· Trace Information to enable tracing
· Error Context Information to display context information for runtime
errors

InfoMaker closes the dialog box and creates a runtime library that has the
same name as the selected library. If you used the machine code compile
option, the runtime library file extension is DLL, otherwise the file
extension. is PBD.


Terry Dykstra [TeamPS] Posted on 1998-07-08 17:22:10.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
From: "Terry Dykstra [TeamPS]" <no_spam_tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca>
Subject: Re: Creating PBDs in Infomaker
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 11:22:10 -0600
Lines: 48
Organization: Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.2106.4
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.2106.4
Message-ID: <348_wjmGrtoq9GA.225@forums.powersoft.com>
References: <348_#xQWKvfq9GA.221@forums.powersoft.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.powersoft.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:7019
Article PK: 243049

Interesting. IM6 definitely doesn't have the option to create PBDs. I wish
it would. I'll do some more digging.

--
Terry Dykstra [TeamPS]
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.

Bob Bowles wrote in message <#xQWKvfq9GA.221@forums.powersoft.com>...
>I just installed IM 6.0. According to the online help, you can create a
>runtime library just as you can in PB. The instructions suggest there is a
>library painter, but I can't find it. I have checked the customize powerbar
>/ painter bar feature and there is no such painter. I have included the
>instructions from the online help below in hopes someone can point me in
the
>right direction.
>
>Bob Bowles
>Medco Review, Inc.
>
>ONLINE HELP:
>
>Build Runtime Library
>
>If you want your distributed application to use dynamic, runtime libraries,
>you can create them here.
>
>¨ To create a runtime library:
>
>1 First select the library you want to use to build a runtime library.
>2 Select Library>Build Runtime Library from the Library painter menubar.
>3 Specify resources the current library may use, as necessary.
>4 Specify type of build,optimization choices, and Executable format.
>5 For 32-bit platforms, select:
>
>· Machine Code to generate compiled code
>· Trace Information to enable tracing
>· Error Context Information to display context information for runtime
>errors
>
>InfoMaker closes the dialog box and creates a runtime library that has the
>same name as the selected library. If you used the machine code compile
>option, the runtime library file extension is DLL, otherwise the file
>extension. is PBD.
>
>
>
>


Bob Bowles Posted on 1998-07-08 21:42:06.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
From: "Bob Bowles" <bob@medconet.com>
Subject: Re: Creating PBDs in Infomaker
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 17:42:06 -0400
Lines: 71
Organization: Medco
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.2106.4
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.2106.4
Message-ID: <348_l2VubArq9GA.189@forums.powersoft.com>
References: <348_#xQWKvfq9GA.221@forums.powersoft.com> <348_wjmGrtoq9GA.225@forums.powersoft.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.powersoft.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:7014
Article PK: 243044

Here is why I want to use this (possibly non-existant) feature:

I want end users to be able to create datawindow objects in InfoMaker that
that my PB app can load into a datawindow control at runtime. I was
experimenting with the following:

1. Create a PB app with several PBDs. One of the PBDs (UDDWO.PBD) contains
no objects.

2. Create a UDDWO.PBL in InfoMaker and create a datawindow object within it.

3. Create a PBD from the InfoMaker PBL and overwrite the empty UDDWO.PBD
with this new one.

I don't know if this would have worked, but I can't perform step 3 to find
out. Is there another solution for what I am trying to do?

Terry Dykstra [TeamPS] wrote in message ...
>Interesting. IM6 definitely doesn't have the option to create PBDs. I
wish
>it would. I'll do some more digging.
>
>--
>Terry Dykstra [TeamPS]
>Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
>Bob Bowles wrote in message <#xQWKvfq9GA.221@forums.powersoft.com>...
>>I just installed IM 6.0. According to the online help, you can create a
>>runtime library just as you can in PB. The instructions suggest there is a
>>library painter, but I can't find it. I have checked the customize
powerbar
>>/ painter bar feature and there is no such painter. I have included the
>>instructions from the online help below in hopes someone can point me in
>the
>>right direction.
>>
>>Bob Bowles
>>Medco Review, Inc.
>>
>>ONLINE HELP:
>>
>>Build Runtime Library
>>
>>If you want your distributed application to use dynamic, runtime
libraries,
>>you can create them here.
>>
>>¨ To create a runtime library:
>>
>>1 First select the library you want to use to build a runtime library.
>>2 Select Library>Build Runtime Library from the Library painter menubar.
>>3 Specify resources the current library may use, as necessary.
>>4 Specify type of build,optimization choices, and Executable format.
>>5 For 32-bit platforms, select:
>>
>>· Machine Code to generate compiled code
>>· Trace Information to enable tracing
>>· Error Context Information to display context information for runtime
>>errors
>>
>>InfoMaker closes the dialog box and creates a runtime library that has the
>>same name as the selected library. If you used the machine code compile
>>option, the runtime library file extension is DLL, otherwise the file
>>extension. is PBD.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>


Stephen Dupre[Sybase] Posted on 1998-07-09 03:39:32.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 20:39:32 -0700
From: "Stephen Dupre[Sybase]" <No_Spam_Stephen.Dupre@sybase.com>
Reply-To: No_Spam_Stephen.Dupre@sybase.com
Organization: Powersoft Tools, Sybase, Inc.
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.0 (Win16; U)
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: Bob Bowles <bob@medconet.com>
Subject: Re: Creating PBDs in Infomaker
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Lines: 113
Message-ID: <348_35A43B74.25C0@sybase.com>
References: <348_#xQWKvfq9GA.221@forums.powersoft.com> <348_wjmGrtoq9GA.225@forums.powersoft.com> <348_l2VubArq9GA.189@forums.powersoft.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.powersoft.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:7011
Article PK: 243040

The reference (I could not find it) is a doc bug.

Terry's correct with the setlibrarylist() and using the InfoMaker exe.
It's easier than trying to mess around with PBDs.

It allows someone to just rebuild (and re-distribute) and EXE from
Infomaker without having to get someone with PB background involved.

PB App Open event
ls_IMReportExe = profilestring(....) // read IM exe to attach
liblist = old + ls_IMReportExe
setlibrarylist(liblist)

You'll never have to recompile the PB exe and the environment is totally
flexible (you can add any infomaker exe).

I've never thought about this before but I don't see why you couldn't
- Write your own script to read out of the <app.ini> file
- Open the Infomaker frame "w_pbstyle_frame" somewhere in your
application where you need to run reports.
- Remember, this will only allow you to open the reports in the
InfoMaker exe. This is good since the GUI of Infomaker 6 allows you to
hide nested reports and dddw's from the pick list - something you don't
have in IM5 and something that might take some coding in PB.

If you want to open up other reports from your Powerbuilder app using
Infomaker components, you can use the InfoMaker w_pbstyle_report window
and pass it the string of the dataobject through the message.stringparm.
// from a menu pick
window w_frame
w_pbstyle_report w_report_spawn
w_Frame = ParentWindow.ParentWindow()

<set a variable or put up a dialog>
OpenSheetWithParm (w_report_spawn, ls_dataobject_to_open, &
w_Frame, 4, Layered! )

If you're going to the User Conference, don't miss Terrys Supercharged
InfoMaker presentation. Now that the style library for Infomaker was
made into an external PBL (IMSTYLE6.PBL) for IM 6.0, there's quite a bit
of customization you can do for your own Infomaker users such as new
menu picks, etc.

Pipeline deployment is also a new feature for 6.0.

Stephen Dupre
Sybase

Bob Bowles wrote:
>
> Here is why I want to use this (possibly non-existant) feature:
>
> I want end users to be able to create datawindow objects in InfoMaker that
> that my PB app can load into a datawindow control at runtime. I was
> experimenting with the following:
>
> 1. Create a PB app with several PBDs. One of the PBDs (UDDWO.PBD) contains
> no objects.
>
> 2. Create a UDDWO.PBL in InfoMaker and create a datawindow object within it.
>
> 3. Create a PBD from the InfoMaker PBL and overwrite the empty UDDWO.PBD
> with this new one.
>
> I don't know if this would have worked, but I can't perform step 3 to find
> out. Is there another solution for what I am trying to do?
>
> Terry Dykstra [TeamPS] wrote in message ...
> >Interesting. IM6 definitely doesn't have the option to create PBDs. I
> wish
> >it would. I'll do some more digging.
> >
> >--
> >Terry Dykstra [TeamPS]
> >Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
> >Bob Bowles wrote in message <#xQWKvfq9GA.221@forums.powersoft.com>...
> >>I just installed IM 6.0. According to the online help, you can create a
> >>runtime library just as you can in PB. The instructions suggest there is a
> >>library painter, but I can't find it. I have checked the customize
> powerbar
> >>/ painter bar feature and there is no such painter. I have included the
> >>instructions from the online help below in hopes someone can point me in
> >the
> >>right direction.
> >>
> >>Bob Bowles
> >>Medco Review, Inc.
> >>
> >>ONLINE HELP:
> >>
> >>Build Runtime Library
> >>
> >>If you want your distributed application to use dynamic, runtime
> libraries,
> >>you can create them here.
> >>
> >>¨ To create a runtime library:
> >>
> >>1 First select the library you want to use to build a runtime library.
> >>2 Select Library>Build Runtime Library from the Library painter menubar.
> >>3 Specify resources the current library may use, as necessary.
> >>4 Specify type of build,optimization choices, and Executable format.
> >>5 For 32-bit platforms, select:
> >>
> >>· Machine Code to generate compiled code
> >>· Trace Information to enable tracing
> >>· Error Context Information to display context information for runtime
> >>errors
> >>
> >>InfoMaker closes the dialog box and creates a runtime library that has the
> >>same name as the selected library. If you used the machine code compile
> >>option, the runtime library file extension is DLL, otherwise the file
> >>extension. is PBD.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> >


John Burgess Posted on 1998-07-09 10:53:11.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
From: "John Burgess" <technical@riskdecisions.com>
Subject: Re: Creating PBDs in Infomaker
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 11:53:11 +0100
Lines: 24
Organization: Risk Decisions Ltd
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.2106.4
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.2106.4
Message-ID: <348_beywT6xq9GA.151@forums.powersoft.com>
References: <348_#xQWKvfq9GA.221@forums.powersoft.com> <348_wjmGrtoq9GA.225@forums.powersoft.com> <348_l2VubArq9GA.189@forums.powersoft.com> <348_35A43B74.25C0@sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.powersoft.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:7008
Article PK: 243038

Although adding the EXE to the library list is possible, it doesn't work in
the 16 bit deployment environment ( either 5.0.2 or 6.0.0 or 6.0.1 beta).
If you're purely 32 bit this is a good way to go, though I've found that
LibraryOpen, LibraryExport and datawindow.Create is faster.

Stephen Dupre[Sybase] wrote in message <35A43B74.25C0@sybase.com>...
>The reference (I could not find it) is a doc bug.
>
>Terry's correct with the setlibrarylist() and using the InfoMaker exe.
>It's easier than trying to mess around with PBDs.
>
>It allows someone to just rebuild (and re-distribute) and EXE from
>Infomaker without having to get someone with PB background involved.
>
>PB App Open event
>ls_IMReportExe = profilestring(....) // read IM exe to attach
>liblist = old + ls_IMReportExe
>setlibrarylist(liblist)
>
>You'll never have to recompile the PB exe and the environment is totally
>flexible (you can add any infomaker exe).


Terry Dykstra [TeamPS] Posted on 1998-07-08 23:00:19.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
From: "Terry Dykstra [TeamPS]" <no_spam_tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca>
Subject: Re: Creating PBDs in Infomaker
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 17:00:19 -0600
Lines: 84
Organization: Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.2106.4
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.2106.4
Message-ID: <348_2e$zlqrq9GA.209@forums.powersoft.com>
References: <348_#xQWKvfq9GA.221@forums.powersoft.com> <348_wjmGrtoq9GA.225@forums.powersoft.com> <348_l2VubArq9GA.189@forums.powersoft.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.powersoft.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:7013
Article PK: 243043

You can include an IM generated exe in your PB app using the
setlibrarylist() function. It works, even though the documentation might
not mention it.

--
Terry Dykstra [TeamPS]
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.

Bob Bowles wrote in message ...
>Here is why I want to use this (possibly non-existant) feature:
>
>I want end users to be able to create datawindow objects in InfoMaker that
>that my PB app can load into a datawindow control at runtime. I was
>experimenting with the following:
>
>1. Create a PB app with several PBDs. One of the PBDs (UDDWO.PBD) contains
>no objects.
>
>2. Create a UDDWO.PBL in InfoMaker and create a datawindow object within
it.
>
>3. Create a PBD from the InfoMaker PBL and overwrite the empty UDDWO.PBD
>with this new one.
>
>I don't know if this would have worked, but I can't perform step 3 to find
>out. Is there another solution for what I am trying to do?
>
>Terry Dykstra [TeamPS] wrote in message ...
>>Interesting. IM6 definitely doesn't have the option to create PBDs. I
>wish
>>it would. I'll do some more digging.
>>
>>--
>>Terry Dykstra [TeamPS]
>>Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
>>Bob Bowles wrote in message <#xQWKvfq9GA.221@forums.powersoft.com>...
>>>I just installed IM 6.0. According to the online help, you can create a
>>>runtime library just as you can in PB. The instructions suggest there is
a
>>>library painter, but I can't find it. I have checked the customize
>powerbar
>>>/ painter bar feature and there is no such painter. I have included the
>>>instructions from the online help below in hopes someone can point me in
>>the
>>>right direction.
>>>
>>>Bob Bowles
>>>Medco Review, Inc.
>>>
>>>ONLINE HELP:
>>>
>>>Build Runtime Library
>>>
>>>If you want your distributed application to use dynamic, runtime
>libraries,
>>>you can create them here.
>>>
>>>¨ To create a runtime library:
>>>
>>>1 First select the library you want to use to build a runtime library.
>>>2 Select Library>Build Runtime Library from the Library painter menubar.
>>>3 Specify resources the current library may use, as necessary.
>>>4 Specify type of build,optimization choices, and Executable format.
>>>5 For 32-bit platforms, select:
>>>
>>>· Machine Code to generate compiled code
>>>· Trace Information to enable tracing
>>>· Error Context Information to display context information for runtime
>>>errors
>>>
>>>InfoMaker closes the dialog box and creates a runtime library that has
the
>>>same name as the selected library. If you used the machine code compile
>>>option, the runtime library file extension is DLL, otherwise the file
>>>extension. is PBD.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>


DawnBrownEyes[TeamPS] Posted on 1998-07-08 12:51:05.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
From: "DawnBrownEyes[TeamPS]" <browneyd@kochind.com>
Subject: Re: Creating PBDs in Infomaker
Organization: TeamPS
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1161
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 08:51:05 -0400
Lines: 211
Message-ID: <348_01bdaa77$8b2379b0$27e9d192@kii-201520>
References: <348_#xQWKvfq9GA.221@forums.powersoft.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.powersoft.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:7020
Article PK: 243050

If you use find you find this reference to PBDs. I don't find it in what
is new in InfoMaker 6.0 AND I don't see a library painter or any option
that is used to build Dynamic Libraries.

In InfoMaker 5.0 there was the following info:
How to build an Infomaker exe from PowerBuilder
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Infomaker builds a P-code exe with no PBDs and from a single PBL. If you
wish to build an Infomaker exe in PowerBuilder here is how to do it.
Reasons for doing this may be to build an exe from multiple PBLs which
can't be done in Infomaker, or to create a machine code exe. In general,
you will be able to take advantage of all that the PowerBuilder Project
Painter provides you. This is under the covers in Infomaker and not
available. The one exception is that you must create a single 'fat' exe,
you can not use PBDs or DLLs with an IM exe.

There is also a limitation to an exe built with PB. The Objects menu will
not drop down a list of the reports as menu selections as it does in an exe
built in IM. The Objects and Reports toolbar icons do work, and they are
the only way to invoke reports.
StephenD: This works differently in 6.0. 5.0 does a librarydirectory().
6.0 is dependent on the Objects menu completely to load the File/Open
Reports.., etc dialogs.

1) Get Faxline 4519 and review it. This Faxline describes how to run
Infomaker PBLs in PowerBuilder and many of the steps are the same. Use this
Faxline as background information. Follow the following steps to create an
exe in PowerBuilder.

2) First build an exe in Infomaker with maybe 1 report. This will be just
enough to create an application object (default) in your IM PBL, and an INI
file.

3) Now move over to the PowerBuilder environment and open the IM PBL. Open
the application object called Default. Open the script of the Application
open event. Note the exe and ini file names, and verify that they are
correct. You will use the same exe name when building the exe in the PB
environment.

4) Create a new PBL called Styles.pbl. Add this pbl to the Library Search
List. The library search list should include all the pbls containing your
IM reports (if more than the original IM PBL) and the styles.pbl.

5) Create a window named w_pbstyle_frame:
- Make it an MDI Frame with Microhelp.
- Select initial state Maximized!.
- Type in menu m_pbstyle_frame_ancestor as the frame menu.
(you will not be able to "Browse..." for this menu... it's contained
in PBTYP050.DLL)
- In the tag field type the unqualified exe name (ex: tutor_im.exe).

Save the window to the Styles.pbl.

The file named in the tag field will be scanned at run time for all the
objects and reports to be listed in the Objects and Reports toolbar
selections. Normally the IM pbl is listed here. But since now in PB, there
may be multiple Pbls, the only file which will have all the objects is the
exe itself. See step 7 below for how to insure that all the applicable
objects will be included in the exe.

6) In the application open event script, insert this line as the first
line:

w_pbstyle_frame my_im_frame

This is needed to force the compiler to include the w_pbstyle_frame
definition into the exe at build time. This is because the window is opened
dynamically.

7) The IM reports are all referenced dynamically as well. To get the report
datawindow objects into the exe, you need to create a PBR file which lists
them all. Each line in the PBR file should contain the fully qualified PBL
name with the datawindow object name in parens:

c:\pwrs\im5i32\tutor_im.pbl(d_sales_report)

Note that the window reference above can not be added to the PBR file.
Windows cannot be referenced in PBRs.

8) Bring up the Project Painter. You can look at the project object created
by Infomaker called default. If you have specified an icon, you will see it
listed in the Resource File field. Add this icon reference line to the PBR
file.

9) Create a new Project object. Use the exe name as defined in the script
in step 3 above. Add your PBR file and path to the Resource File field.
Make sure the library search list matches that of your IM application in PB
(see step 4). Also be sure that no PBD checkboxes are checked.

10) Build the exe and deploy it with the ini file created by IM (see steps
2 and 3).

July 31, 1997 - StephenD - Populating the "Objects" menu as well using PB
Addendum: Steps

1. Copy from IMSTYLE5.PBL the m_pbstyle_frame_ancestor but save it as a
different name. "m_pbstyle_frame_custom" is a good name. Places this
menu in the styles.pbl mentioned above. Since adding to the frame menu
requires write access to the object, you must make a seperate menu
(m_pbstyle_frame_ancestor is in PBTYP050.DLL and is not accessable)

2. You will be adding sub-items to the Objects menu contained in

"m_pbstyle_frame_custom"

3. In the w_pbstyle_frame open event, change the menu reference from
m_pbstyle_frame <whatever>
to
m_pbstyle_frame_custom <whatever>

4. Adding sub-items to the Objects menu. - Forms
To make the executable exactly like the Infomaker executable requires the
addition of the sub-items in the 'Objects' menu for each report/form
contained in the exe. The Forms are easy since the <form>@1 and <form>@2
datawindows are actually attached to the window. If the window/form is
called "employee_form" it will have
employee_form@1
employee_form@2

as datawindows. So the menu object clicked event should have:

Window w_form
OpenSheetWithParm(employee_form, w_pbstyle_frame,3 Layered!)

Notice you don't have to use the message object.

5. Adding sub-items to the Objects menu - Reports

For Reports, we basically use one window "w_pbstyle_report" similar to what
is contained in w_pbstyle_report in IMSTYLE5.PBL - which comes with PB 5.0.
This is a blank window with a single empty datawindow control (PB term).
How the report object (data object in PB terms) interacts with this window
is through the message object - message.stringparm.

If you want to create a menu item for a report called "reportname", you
have to script the following in the clicked event:

w_pbstyle_report w_report
OpenSheetWithParm(w_report, "reportname", w_pbstyle_frame,3 Layered!)

Use the build instructions for building the executable as described above.

The good news is if you use this hybrid environment IM/PB, you will be able
to name your menu subitems on the "Objects" menu anything you want - always
nicer for end users. Example: employee_report can be called "Weekly
Employee Report" (note: no underscores required) although the script will
still have to refer to "employee_report" underneath the covers.

HTH

--
Dawn T Brown Eyes (TeamPS)

Bob Bowles <bob@medconet.com> wrote in article
<#xQWKvfq9GA.221@forums.powersoft.com>...
> I just installed IM 6.0. According to the online help, you can create a
> runtime library just as you can in PB. The instructions suggest there is
a
> library painter, but I can't find it. I have checked the customize
powerbar
> / painter bar feature and there is no such painter. I have included the
> instructions from the online help below in hopes someone can point me in
the
> right direction.
>
> Bob Bowles
> Medco Review, Inc.
>
> ONLINE HELP:
>
> Build Runtime Library
>
> If you want your distributed application to use dynamic, runtime
libraries,
> you can create them here.
>
> ¨ To create a runtime library:
>
> 1 First select the library you want to use to build a runtime library.
> 2 Select Library>Build Runtime Library from the Library painter menubar.
> 3 Specify resources the current library may use, as necessary.
> 4 Specify type of build,optimization choices, and Executable format.
> 5 For 32-bit platforms, select:
>
> · Machine Code to generate compiled code
> · Trace Information to enable tracing
> · Error Context Information to display context information for runtime
> errors
>
> InfoMaker closes the dialog box and creates a runtime library that has
the
> same name as the selected library. If you used the machine code compile
> option, the runtime library file extension is DLL, otherwise the file
> extension. is PBD.
>
>
>
>
>


Bob Bowles Posted on 1998-07-08 21:41:53.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
From: "Bob Bowles" <bob@medconet.com>
Subject: Re: Creating PBDs in Infomaker
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 17:41:53 -0400
Lines: 220
Organization: Medco
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.2106.4
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.2106.4
Message-ID: <348_0QhhXArq9GA.151@forums.powersoft.com>
References: <348_#xQWKvfq9GA.221@forums.powersoft.com> <348_01bdaa77$8b2379b0$27e9d192@kii-201520>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.powersoft.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:7015
Article PK: 243045

Here is why I want to use this (possibly non-existant) feature:

I want end users to be able to create datawindow objects in InfoMaker that
that my PB app can load into a datawindow control at runtime. I was
experimenting with the following:

1. Create a PB app with several PBDs. One of the PBDs (UDDWO.PBD) contains
no objects.

2. Create a UDDWO.PBL in InfoMaker and create a datawindow object within it.

3. Create a PBD from the InfoMaker PBL and overwrite the empty UDDWO.PBD
with this new one.

I don't know if this would have worked, but I can't perform step 3 to find
out. Is there another solution for what I am trying to do?

DawnBrownEyes[TeamPS] wrote in message
<01bdaa77$8b2379b0$27e9d192@kii-201520>...
>If you use find you find this reference to PBDs. I don't find it in what
>is new in InfoMaker 6.0 AND I don't see a library painter or any option
>that is used to build Dynamic Libraries.
>
>In InfoMaker 5.0 there was the following info:
>How to build an Infomaker exe from PowerBuilder
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>Infomaker builds a P-code exe with no PBDs and from a single PBL. If you
>wish to build an Infomaker exe in PowerBuilder here is how to do it.
>Reasons for doing this may be to build an exe from multiple PBLs which
>can't be done in Infomaker, or to create a machine code exe. In general,
>you will be able to take advantage of all that the PowerBuilder Project
>Painter provides you. This is under the covers in Infomaker and not
>available. The one exception is that you must create a single 'fat' exe,
>you can not use PBDs or DLLs with an IM exe.
>
>There is also a limitation to an exe built with PB. The Objects menu will
>not drop down a list of the reports as menu selections as it does in an exe
>built in IM. The Objects and Reports toolbar icons do work, and they are
>the only way to invoke reports.
>StephenD: This works differently in 6.0. 5.0 does a librarydirectory().
>6.0 is dependent on the Objects menu completely to load the File/Open
>Reports.., etc dialogs.
>
>1) Get Faxline 4519 and review it. This Faxline describes how to run
>Infomaker PBLs in PowerBuilder and many of the steps are the same. Use this
>Faxline as background information. Follow the following steps to create an
>exe in PowerBuilder.
>
>2) First build an exe in Infomaker with maybe 1 report. This will be just
>enough to create an application object (default) in your IM PBL, and an INI
>file.
>
>3) Now move over to the PowerBuilder environment and open the IM PBL. Open
>the application object called Default. Open the script of the Application
>open event. Note the exe and ini file names, and verify that they are
>correct. You will use the same exe name when building the exe in the PB
>environment.
>
>4) Create a new PBL called Styles.pbl. Add this pbl to the Library Search
>List. The library search list should include all the pbls containing your
>IM reports (if more than the original IM PBL) and the styles.pbl.
>
>5) Create a window named w_pbstyle_frame:
> - Make it an MDI Frame with Microhelp.
> - Select initial state Maximized!.
> - Type in menu m_pbstyle_frame_ancestor as the frame menu.
> (you will not be able to "Browse..." for this menu... it's contained
>in PBTYP050.DLL)
> - In the tag field type the unqualified exe name (ex: tutor_im.exe).
>
>Save the window to the Styles.pbl.
>
>The file named in the tag field will be scanned at run time for all the
>objects and reports to be listed in the Objects and Reports toolbar
>selections. Normally the IM pbl is listed here. But since now in PB, there
>may be multiple Pbls, the only file which will have all the objects is the
>exe itself. See step 7 below for how to insure that all the applicable
>objects will be included in the exe.
>
>6) In the application open event script, insert this line as the first
>line:
>
>w_pbstyle_frame my_im_frame
>
>This is needed to force the compiler to include the w_pbstyle_frame
>definition into the exe at build time. This is because the window is opened
>dynamically.
>
>7) The IM reports are all referenced dynamically as well. To get the report
>datawindow objects into the exe, you need to create a PBR file which lists
>them all. Each line in the PBR file should contain the fully qualified PBL
>name with the datawindow object name in parens:
>
>c:\pwrs\im5i32\tutor_im.pbl(d_sales_report)
>
>Note that the window reference above can not be added to the PBR file.
>Windows cannot be referenced in PBRs.
>
>8) Bring up the Project Painter. You can look at the project object created
>by Infomaker called default. If you have specified an icon, you will see it
>listed in the Resource File field. Add this icon reference line to the PBR
>file.
>
>9) Create a new Project object. Use the exe name as defined in the script
>in step 3 above. Add your PBR file and path to the Resource File field.
>Make sure the library search list matches that of your IM application in PB
>(see step 4). Also be sure that no PBD checkboxes are checked.
>
>10) Build the exe and deploy it with the ini file created by IM (see steps
>2 and 3).
>
>July 31, 1997 - StephenD - Populating the "Objects" menu as well using PB
>Addendum: Steps
>
>1. Copy from IMSTYLE5.PBL the m_pbstyle_frame_ancestor but save it as a
>different name. "m_pbstyle_frame_custom" is a good name. Places this
>menu in the styles.pbl mentioned above. Since adding to the frame menu
>requires write access to the object, you must make a seperate menu
>(m_pbstyle_frame_ancestor is in PBTYP050.DLL and is not accessable)
>
>2. You will be adding sub-items to the Objects menu contained in
>
>"m_pbstyle_frame_custom"
>
>3. In the w_pbstyle_frame open event, change the menu reference from
>m_pbstyle_frame <whatever>
> to
>m_pbstyle_frame_custom <whatever>
>
>4. Adding sub-items to the Objects menu. - Forms
>To make the executable exactly like the Infomaker executable requires the
>addition of the sub-items in the 'Objects' menu for each report/form
>contained in the exe. The Forms are easy since the <form>@1 and <form>@2
>datawindows are actually attached to the window. If the window/form is
>called "employee_form" it will have
>employee_form@1
>employee_form@2
>
>as datawindows. So the menu object clicked event should have:
>
>Window w_form
>OpenSheetWithParm(employee_form, w_pbstyle_frame,3 Layered!)
>
>Notice you don't have to use the message object.
>
>5. Adding sub-items to the Objects menu - Reports
>
>For Reports, we basically use one window "w_pbstyle_report" similar to what
>is contained in w_pbstyle_report in IMSTYLE5.PBL - which comes with PB 5.0.
> This is a blank window with a single empty datawindow control (PB term).
>How the report object (data object in PB terms) interacts with this window
>is through the message object - message.stringparm.
>
>If you want to create a menu item for a report called "reportname", you
>have to script the following in the clicked event:
>
>w_pbstyle_report w_report
>OpenSheetWithParm(w_report, "reportname", w_pbstyle_frame,3 Layered!)
>
>Use the build instructions for building the executable as described above.
>
>The good news is if you use this hybrid environment IM/PB, you will be able
>to name your menu subitems on the "Objects" menu anything you want - always
>nicer for end users. Example: employee_report can be called "Weekly
>Employee Report" (note: no underscores required) although the script will
>still have to refer to "employee_report" underneath the covers.
>
>HTH
>
>--
>Dawn T Brown Eyes (TeamPS)
>
>Bob Bowles <bob@medconet.com> wrote in article
><#xQWKvfq9GA.221@forums.powersoft.com>...
>> I just installed IM 6.0. According to the online help, you can create a
>> runtime library just as you can in PB. The instructions suggest there is
>a
>> library painter, but I can't find it. I have checked the customize
>powerbar
>> / painter bar feature and there is no such painter. I have included the
>> instructions from the online help below in hopes someone can point me in
>the
>> right direction.
>>
>> Bob Bowles
>> Medco Review, Inc.
>>
>> ONLINE HELP:
>>
>> Build Runtime Library
>>
>> If you want your distributed application to use dynamic, runtime
>libraries,
>> you can create them here.
>>
>> ¨ To create a runtime library:
>>
>> 1 First select the library you want to use to build a runtime library.
>> 2 Select Library>Build Runtime Library from the Library painter menubar.
>> 3 Specify resources the current library may use, as necessary.
>> 4 Specify type of build,optimization choices, and Executable format.
>> 5 For 32-bit platforms, select:
>>
>> · Machine Code to generate compiled code
>> · Trace Information to enable tracing
>> · Error Context Information to display context information for runtime
>> errors
>>
>> InfoMaker closes the dialog box and creates a runtime library that has
>the
>> same name as the selected library. If you used the machine code compile
>> option, the runtime library file extension is DLL, otherwise the file
>> extension. is PBD.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>


John Burgess Posted on 1998-07-09 10:46:15.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
From: "John Burgess" <technical@riskdecisions.com>
Subject: Re: Creating PBDs in Infomaker
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 11:46:15 +0100
Lines: 51
Organization: Risk Decisions Ltd
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.2106.4
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.2106.4
Message-ID: <348_awyoZ2xq9GA.231@forums.powersoft.com>
References: <348_#xQWKvfq9GA.221@forums.powersoft.com> <348_01bdaa77$8b2379b0$27e9d192@kii-201520> <348_0QhhXArq9GA.151@forums.powersoft.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.powersoft.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:7009
Article PK: 243039

I have the same requirement in our app.

First approach we tried:
Use setLibraryList to include the PBL with the reports. This
(undocumented) feature has been mentioned in forum articles some time ago.
Note -- I do mean PBL not PBD. This does work BUT only if the pbl is the
only library in the library list. This is bearable but not very nice under
Win32 (just compile to one huge EXE) but impossible for Win16.

Second Approach:
Create an IM exe file and add this to the librarylist. In Win32 you can
now have mutiple pbds as well as the EXE and all works fairly well. BUT it
doesn't work under Win16.

Third approach:
Use LibraryOpen to open the PBL, then LibraryExport to export the DW you
want into a string. You can then use this as an argument to create to get
the dw object. (use the exported dw string like the one you get from
syntaxfromsql). This works well under Win32 and sometimes under Win16 -- It
fails for large DataWindows since Win16 strings are limited to 60K and its
amazing how big these dw exports can be if the query is at all complex.

Conclusion -- we are doing fairly well with approach three combined with a
client.pbd in the library list that ships empty. If 16 bit users have size
problems they send us the pbl and we send them back a new client.pbd
containing their DW.

Hope this helps -- just don't despair!!!!

Bob Bowles wrote in message <0QhhXArq9GA.151@forums.powersoft.com>...
>Here is why I want to use this (possibly non-existant) feature:
>
>I want end users to be able to create datawindow objects in InfoMaker that
>that my PB app can load into a datawindow control at runtime. I was
>experimenting with the following:
>
>1. Create a PB app with several PBDs. One of the PBDs (UDDWO.PBD) contains
>no objects.
>
>2. Create a UDDWO.PBL in InfoMaker and create a datawindow object within
it.
>
>3. Create a PBD from the InfoMaker PBL and overwrite the empty UDDWO.PBD
>with this new one.
>
>I don't know if this would have worked, but I can't perform step 3 to find
>out. Is there another solution for what I am trying to do?
>

>


DawnBrownEyes[TeamPS] Posted on 1998-07-08 23:07:59.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
From: "DawnBrownEyes[TeamPS]" <browneyd@kochind.com>
Subject: Re: Creating PBDs in Infomaker
Organization: TeamPS
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1161
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 19:07:59 -0400
Lines: 20
Message-ID: <348_01bdaacd$ba295350$27e9d192@kii-201520>
References: <348_#xQWKvfq9GA.221@forums.powersoft.com> <348_01bdaa77$8b2379b0$27e9d192@kii-201520> <348_0QhhXArq9GA.151@forums.powersoft.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.powersoft.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:7012
Article PK: 243042

If I understand you correctly you want the users to create a report and
have it automatically ( or pretty close) display the report in your
application. It would be nice to have the user create a PBD in IM because
you could then use it.

You could have the user create an exe and then use the run() fx to execute
the exe.

You could look at PBs library functions which are in the pb online help.
The basic sequence of events would be to allow the user to select the dw
report from the info maker dir/list using LibraryDirectory and then export
import the required report files to a reports library. These reports would
then need to be dynamically allocated in the course of the program. Much
harder to code.

HTH
--
Dawn T Brown Eyes (TeamPS)