Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Graphic SQL Problem

4 posts in PB Infomaker Report Writer Last posting was on 1999-03-23 19:37:02.0Z
Judy Shirilla Posted on 1999-03-19 18:12:20.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 13:12:20 -0500
From: Judy Shirilla <jshirilla@revenue.state.il.us>
Reply-To: jshirilla@revenue.state.il.us
Organization: Illinois Department Of Revenue
X-Mailer: Mozilla 2.02 (OS/2; I)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Graphic SQL Problem
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 31
Message-ID: <348_36F29384.59EE@revenue.state.il.us>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.powersoft.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:6480
Article PK: 241466

We acquired InfoMaker as part of a package application from R.L. Polk.
This application was originally set up for an XDB database. We are in
the process of switching this to DB2 UDB, running on a Windows NT
server. All table definitions and names are the same. The Powerbuilder
application from Polk runs fine against either
database. The InfoMaker reports that were generated on the XDB
database seem to run fine against the DB2 database. But when we try to
make modifications to the reports we get an error in the Graphic SQL
Selection List section: Table "xxx" has no columns, possible invalid
table format. Do you want to continue in graphic mode?

We've tried modifying the DbParm, without much success. New reports,
generated from DB2 can be modified without a problem. In fact they can
even be modified when connected to XDB.

No one here has much experience with InfoMaker, so we may just be doing
something stupid. We've asked Polk, but they had no suggestions.

We would rather not have to rewrite all these reports. Any help would
be appreciated. Thanks.

Judy Shirilla
Illinois Dept. of Revenue
Data Base Administration


Matt Gililand Posted on 1999-03-20 04:13:13.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 23:13:13 -0500
From: Matt Gililand <matt.gilliland@sympatico.ca>
Reply-To: matt.gilliland@sympatico.ca
Organization: home
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.5 [en]C-SYMPA (Win95; U)
X-Accept-Language: en,fr-CA
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: Graphic SQL Problem
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 56
Message-ID: <348_36F32059.745E8084@sympatico.ca>
References: <348_36F29384.59EE@revenue.state.il.us>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.powersoft.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:6479
Article PK: 241465

Just a suggestion, try to create a report using DB2. Check out the sytax
generated and compare that to the XDB reports. Having work with DB2 a fair
bit I know DB2 uses a qualifictaion of tablespace.table.column. I doubt if
XDB uses the same qualification. If you compare the sql you should see the
difference. I am not sure what you can do to not have DB2 qualified names.
I believe there is a DBparm called ownerlist or something similar but I
don't think it will remove the owner qualification. In the past I have
always lived with the extra qualification from DB2.

The worst case scenario, you simply have to add the extra qualifictaion to
the sql. You shouldn't need to rebuild all the reports but rather convert
to syntax and correct the sql. I don't think you will be able to paint the
queries graphically.

Another suggestion. Use XDB for report creation and DB2 for running
reports. Less work for the conversion


Good Luck

Judy Shirilla wrote:

> We acquired InfoMaker as part of a package application from R.L. Polk.
> This application was originally set up for an XDB database. We are in
> the process of switching this to DB2 UDB, running on a Windows NT
> server. All table definitions and names are the same. The Powerbuilder
> application from Polk runs fine against either
> database. The InfoMaker reports that were generated on the XDB
> database seem to run fine against the DB2 database. But when we try to
> make modifications to the reports we get an error in the Graphic SQL
> Selection List section: Table "xxx" has no columns, possible invalid
> table format. Do you want to continue in graphic mode?
>
> We've tried modifying the DbParm, without much success. New reports,
> generated from DB2 can be modified without a problem. In fact they can
> even be modified when connected to XDB.
>
> No one here has much experience with InfoMaker, so we may just be doing
> something stupid. We've asked Polk, but they had no suggestions.
>
> We would rather not have to rewrite all these reports. Any help would
> be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Judy Shirilla
> Illinois Dept. of Revenue
> Data Base Administration


Judy Shirilla Posted on 1999-03-23 18:26:44.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:26:44 -0500
From: Judy Shirilla <jshirilla@revenue.state.il.us>
Reply-To: jshirilla@revenue.state.il.us
Organization: Illinois Department Of Revenue
X-Mailer: Mozilla 2.02 (OS/2; I)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: Graphic SQL Problem
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 79
Message-ID: <348_36F7DCE4.215C@revenue.state.il.us>
References: <348_36F29384.59EE@revenue.state.il.us> <348_36F32059.745E8084@sympatico.ca>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:6474
Article PK: 241463

Thanks for the information.
We had compared the XDB versions to the DB2 versions and noticed that
the XDB versions used lowercase, unqualified table and column names,
while the DB2 generated reports used uppercase, qualified names. We
tried manually modifying the XDB SQL, changing all the names to
uppercase and qualified. When we tried to convert from syntax to
graphics, only the table/column selection and join criteria were
converted. We still can't convert WHERE clauses with DATE functions or
calculations, even though the DB2 syntax is the same as XDB's.
Once this system is converted, XDB is going away, so using XDB to define
the reports is not an option. We can re-enter the WHERE criteria, but
we were hoping we wouldn't have to.

Thanks again.
Judy Shirilla

Matt Gililand wrote:
>
> Just a suggestion, try to create a report using DB2. Check out the sytax
> generated and compare that to the XDB reports. Having work with DB2 a fair
> bit I know DB2 uses a qualifictaion of tablespace.table.column. I doubt if
> XDB uses the same qualification. If you compare the sql you should see the
> difference. I am not sure what you can do to not have DB2 qualified names.
> I believe there is a DBparm called ownerlist or something similar but I
> don't think it will remove the owner qualification. In the past I have
> always lived with the extra qualification from DB2.
>
> The worst case scenario, you simply have to add the extra qualifictaion to
> the sql. You shouldn't need to rebuild all the reports but rather convert
> to syntax and correct the sql. I don't think you will be able to paint the
> queries graphically.
>
> Another suggestion. Use XDB for report creation and DB2 for running
> reports. Less work for the conversion
>
> Good Luck
>
> Judy Shirilla wrote:
>
> > We acquired InfoMaker as part of a package application from R.L. Polk.
> > This application was originally set up for an XDB database. We are in
> > the process of switching this to DB2 UDB, running on a Windows NT
> > server. All table definitions and names are the same. The Powerbuilder
> > application from Polk runs fine against either
> > database. The InfoMaker reports that were generated on the XDB
> > database seem to run fine against the DB2 database. But when we try to
> > make modifications to the reports we get an error in the Graphic SQL
> > Selection List section: Table "xxx" has no columns, possible invalid
> > table format. Do you want to continue in graphic mode?
> >
> > We've tried modifying the DbParm, without much success. New reports,
> > generated from DB2 can be modified without a problem. In fact they can
> > even be modified when connected to XDB.
> >
> > No one here has much experience with InfoMaker, so we may just be doing
> > something stupid. We've asked Polk, but they had no suggestions.
> >
> > We would rather not have to rewrite all these reports. Any help would
> > be appreciated. Thanks.
> >
> > Judy Shirilla
> > Illinois Dept. of Revenue
> > Data Base Administration


Terry Dykstra Posted on 1999-03-23 19:37:02.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
From: "Terry Dykstra" <tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca>
Subject: Re: Graphic SQL Problem
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 12:37:02 -0700
Lines: 86
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3110.5
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3110.3
Message-ID: <348_NUkXnQWd#GA.296@forums.sybase.com>
References: <348_36F29384.59EE@revenue.state.il.us> <348_36F32059.745E8084@sympatico.ca> <348_36F7DCE4.215C@revenue.state.il.us>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:6473
Article PK: 241461

If you are using ODBC as the driver, you can change the pbodb60.ini to
change default date formats, add missing or new functions etc. It's a bit
tricky file, but once you browse it completely, you should get an idea how
to modify it. I have no experience with either DB2 or XDB, so I can't
really help you with those.

--
Terry Dykstra (TeamPS)
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.

Judy Shirilla wrote in message <36F7DCE4.215C@revenue.state.il.us>...
>Thanks for the information.
>We had compared the XDB versions to the DB2 versions and noticed that
>the XDB versions used lowercase, unqualified table and column names,
>while the DB2 generated reports used uppercase, qualified names. We
>tried manually modifying the XDB SQL, changing all the names to
>uppercase and qualified. When we tried to convert from syntax to
>graphics, only the table/column selection and join criteria were
>converted. We still can't convert WHERE clauses with DATE functions or
>calculations, even though the DB2 syntax is the same as XDB's.
>Once this system is converted, XDB is going away, so using XDB to define
>the reports is not an option. We can re-enter the WHERE criteria, but
>we were hoping we wouldn't have to.
>
>Thanks again.
>Judy Shirilla
>
>
>
>Matt Gililand wrote:
>>
>> Just a suggestion, try to create a report using DB2. Check out the
sytax
>> generated and compare that to the XDB reports. Having work with DB2 a
fair
>> bit I know DB2 uses a qualifictaion of tablespace.table.column. I doubt
if
>> XDB uses the same qualification. If you compare the sql you should see
the
>> difference. I am not sure what you can do to not have DB2 qualified
names.
>> I believe there is a DBparm called ownerlist or something similar but I
>> don't think it will remove the owner qualification. In the past I have
>> always lived with the extra qualification from DB2.
>>
>> The worst case scenario, you simply have to add the extra qualifictaion
to
>> the sql. You shouldn't need to rebuild all the reports but rather
convert
>> to syntax and correct the sql. I don't think you will be able to paint
the
>> queries graphically.
>>
>> Another suggestion. Use XDB for report creation and DB2 for running
>> reports. Less work for the conversion
>>
>> Good Luck
>>
>> Judy Shirilla wrote:
>>
>> > We acquired InfoMaker as part of a package application from R.L. Polk.
>> > This application was originally set up for an XDB database. We are in
>> > the process of switching this to DB2 UDB, running on a Windows NT
>> > server. All table definitions and names are the same. The Powerbuilder
>> > application from Polk runs fine against either
>> > database. The InfoMaker reports that were generated on the XDB
>> > database seem to run fine against the DB2 database. But when we try
to
>> > make modifications to the reports we get an error in the Graphic SQL
>> > Selection List section: Table "xxx" has no columns, possible invalid
>> > table format. Do you want to continue in graphic mode?
>> >
>> > We've tried modifying the DbParm, without much success. New reports,
>> > generated from DB2 can be modified without a problem. In fact they can
>> > even be modified when connected to XDB.
>> >
>> > No one here has much experience with InfoMaker, so we may just be doing
>> > something stupid. We've asked Polk, but they had no suggestions.
>> >
>> > We would rather not have to rewrite all these reports. Any help would
>> > be appreciated. Thanks.
>> >
>> > Judy Shirilla
>> > Illinois Dept. of Revenue
>> > Data Base Administration