Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

IM6.5 Help File Search Path Problem for Net Install

4 posts in PB Infomaker Report Writer Last posting was on 1999-06-17 15:31:47.0Z
Scott Rife Posted on 1999-06-02 21:02:47.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 17:02:47 -0400
From: Scott Rife <scott.rife@wright.edu>
Reply-To: scott.rife@wright.edu
Organization: Wright State University, Information Services
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.5 [en] (Win95; I)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: IM6.5 Help File Search Path Problem for Net Install
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 54
Message-ID: <348_37559BF6.84A56D30@wright.edu>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:6253
Article PK: 240191

I have InfoMaker 6.5 installed on the network with nothing but registry
entries set on my client's machines, as documented in Powersoft
reference docs but better written in a message in this newsgroup from
Terry Dykstra "Re: InfoMaker 6 Network Installation" -- thanks Terry.
I've also updated the WinHelp.ini file on the client machine for im6
help paths and to support the online books (as is done when you do a
true install of InfoMaker). This is very similar to the configuration
I've done for the past couple of years for my clients for IM 5.0.

InfoMaker runs fine but when the Welcome to InfoMaker page or the first
Help attempt is made, my clients get a dialog window entitled "Select
Search Paths" which says inside it "Unable to locate specified file in
any of the specified search paths. Discovered while attempting to
display help file: imwel60.hlp" (the specific help file is different for
help attempts other than the Welcome page). Also listed in the dialog
window are the paths set in both my registry and in my Winhelp.ini for
IM Help -- i:\pwrs\im6\im6\help and i:\pwrs\im6\im6 (i: is a drive on
the network). All you have to do is press the Cancel button on this
window and it continues with whatever Help window is supposed to show up
-- however it's a bit frustrating. You can press "Set" instead of
"Cancel" with one or the other path, but it makes no difference. I've
had this same problem with the IM 5 network install and hoped it would
go away with the upgrade.

Here's a hint... I don't get the "Select Search Paths" dialog, but I
have write priviledges to this directory on the network. The clients
don't and can't in the future.

Is there a workaround for this besides telling my clients to hit cancel
everytime they encounter this dialog?

TIA,

Scott

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Scott Rife, Systems Consultant
Information Services, CaTS
Wright State University
140G Library Annex
Email: scott.rife@wright.edu Phone: (937)775-4005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Terry Dykstra Posted on 1999-06-03 18:14:54.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
From: "Terry Dykstra" <tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca>
Subject: Re: IM6.5 Help File Search Path Problem for Net Install
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 12:14:54 -0600
Lines: 57
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3612.1700
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3612.1700
Message-ID: <348_wACAuxer#GA.273@forums.sybase.com>
References: <348_37559BF6.84A56D30@wright.edu>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:6251
Article PK: 240186

I checked with my users and we have the same problems in the office here.
My friendly users just don't complain. <g>
I'll do some more research. My guess is that you'll need to make the im.ini
on the network writeable.

--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.

Scott Rife wrote in message <37559BF6.84A56D30@wright.edu>...
>I have InfoMaker 6.5 installed on the network with nothing but registry
>entries set on my client's machines, as documented in Powersoft
>reference docs but better written in a message in this newsgroup from
>Terry Dykstra "Re: InfoMaker 6 Network Installation" -- thanks Terry.
>I've also updated the WinHelp.ini file on the client machine for im6
>help paths and to support the online books (as is done when you do a
>true install of InfoMaker). This is very similar to the configuration
>I've done for the past couple of years for my clients for IM 5.0.
>
>InfoMaker runs fine but when the Welcome to InfoMaker page or the first
>Help attempt is made, my clients get a dialog window entitled "Select
>Search Paths" which says inside it "Unable to locate specified file in
>any of the specified search paths. Discovered while attempting to
>display help file: imwel60.hlp" (the specific help file is different for
>help attempts other than the Welcome page). Also listed in the dialog
>window are the paths set in both my registry and in my Winhelp.ini for
>IM Help -- i:\pwrs\im6\im6\help and i:\pwrs\im6\im6 (i: is a drive on
>the network). All you have to do is press the Cancel button on this
>window and it continues with whatever Help window is supposed to show up
>-- however it's a bit frustrating. You can press "Set" instead of
>"Cancel" with one or the other path, but it makes no difference. I've
>had this same problem with the IM 5 network install and hoped it would
>go away with the upgrade.
>
>Here's a hint... I don't get the "Select Search Paths" dialog, but I
>have write priviledges to this directory on the network. The clients
>don't and can't in the future.
>
>Is there a workaround for this besides telling my clients to hit cancel
>everytime they encounter this dialog?
>
>TIA,
>
>Scott
>
>--
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Scott Rife, Systems Consultant
> Information Services, CaTS
> Wright State University
> 140G Library Annex
> Email: scott.rife@wright.edu Phone: (937)775-4005
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>


Scott Rife Posted on 1999-06-03 19:15:09.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 15:15:09 -0400
From: Scott Rife <scott.rife@wright.edu>
Reply-To: scott.rife@wright.edu
Organization: Wright State University, Information Services
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.5 [en] (Win95; I)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: IM6.5 Help File Search Path Problem for Net Install
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 91
Message-ID: <348_3756D43C.67FA6C2D@wright.edu>
References: <348_37559BF6.84A56D30@wright.edu> <348_wACAuxer#GA.273@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:6249
Article PK: 240187

Terry,

They each have their own im.ini in their own network drive which is writable.
They just don't have write privileges to the applications server directory where
InfoMaker 6.5 is installed. Since I'm the only one with write privileges to
that directory, I'm assuming it's a privileges problem, but I can't imagine what
IM is trying to write out there on it's first access to a Help file -- once for
the Welcome, but works after that for the Welcome Help panels for a given
session, and once for the General Help, but works after that on it too. Of
course if you shut down IM and re-start, the first-time bug reappears.

Hope this makes it clearer....

Scott

Terry Dykstra wrote:

> I checked with my users and we have the same problems in the office here.
> My friendly users just don't complain. <g>
> I'll do some more research. My guess is that you'll need to make the im.ini
> on the network writeable.
>
> --
> Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
> Scott Rife wrote in message <37559BF6.84A56D30@wright.edu>...
> >I have InfoMaker 6.5 installed on the network with nothing but registry
> >entries set on my client's machines, as documented in Powersoft
> >reference docs but better written in a message in this newsgroup from
> >Terry Dykstra "Re: InfoMaker 6 Network Installation" -- thanks Terry.
> >I've also updated the WinHelp.ini file on the client machine for im6
> >help paths and to support the online books (as is done when you do a
> >true install of InfoMaker). This is very similar to the configuration
> >I've done for the past couple of years for my clients for IM 5.0.
> >
> >InfoMaker runs fine but when the Welcome to InfoMaker page or the first
> >Help attempt is made, my clients get a dialog window entitled "Select
> >Search Paths" which says inside it "Unable to locate specified file in
> >any of the specified search paths. Discovered while attempting to
> >display help file: imwel60.hlp" (the specific help file is different for
> >help attempts other than the Welcome page). Also listed in the dialog
> >window are the paths set in both my registry and in my Winhelp.ini for
> >IM Help -- i:\pwrs\im6\im6\help and i:\pwrs\im6\im6 (i: is a drive on
> >the network). All you have to do is press the Cancel button on this
> >window and it continues with whatever Help window is supposed to show up
> >-- however it's a bit frustrating. You can press "Set" instead of
> >"Cancel" with one or the other path, but it makes no difference. I've
> >had this same problem with the IM 5 network install and hoped it would
> >go away with the upgrade.
> >
> >Here's a hint... I don't get the "Select Search Paths" dialog, but I
> >have write priviledges to this directory on the network. The clients
> >don't and can't in the future.
> >
> >Is there a workaround for this besides telling my clients to hit cancel
> >everytime they encounter this dialog?
> >
> >TIA,
> >
> >Scott
> >
> >--
> >
> >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Scott Rife, Systems Consultant
> > Information Services, CaTS
> > Wright State University
> > 140G Library Annex
> > Email: scott.rife@wright.edu Phone: (937)775-4005
> >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >
> >

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Scott Rife, Systems Consultant
Information Services, CaTS
Wright State University
140G Library Annex
Email: scott.rife@wright.edu Phone: (937)775-4005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Terry Dykstra Posted on 1999-06-17 15:31:47.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
From: "Terry Dykstra" <tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca>
Subject: Re: IM6.5 Help File Search Path Problem for Net Install
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:31:47 -0600
Lines: 119
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3612.1700
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3612.1700
Message-ID: <348_8xGpYXNu#GA.287@forums.sybase.com>
References: <348_37559BF6.84A56D30@wright.edu> <348_wACAuxer#GA.273@forums.sybase.com> <348_3756D43C.67FA6C2D@wright.edu>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:6191
Article PK: 240127

It's a known problem with PB & IM (163701). The suggestion is to move the
help files to a different directory to which you give write access.

Here is part of the message I got from tech support:

>> You can close this screen and online help works but when you close IM/PB
and try
again, the problem is back, even when you 'set' the option. The problem is
PB/IM is trying to write a small temporary file (1.2) to the network
directory
(why you need write access) which should be redirected to the users local
\temp
directory but it doesn't.

Workaround: Give the user(s) write access to where the help files are.

The real problem is giving write access to an area where it doesn't make
sense
to (or for security reasons). The only thing I can think of is create a
subdirectory or another directory just for help files and only make that
writable on the network (assuming NT security). See if that helps. <<


--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.

Scott Rife wrote in message <3756D43C.67FA6C2D@wright.edu>...
>Terry,
>
>They each have their own im.ini in their own network drive which is
writable.
>They just don't have write privileges to the applications server directory
where
>InfoMaker 6.5 is installed. Since I'm the only one with write privileges
to
>that directory, I'm assuming it's a privileges problem, but I can't imagine
what
>IM is trying to write out there on it's first access to a Help file -- once
for
>the Welcome, but works after that for the Welcome Help panels for a given
>session, and once for the General Help, but works after that on it too. Of
>course if you shut down IM and re-start, the first-time bug reappears.
>
>Hope this makes it clearer....
>
>Scott
>
>Terry Dykstra wrote:
>
>> I checked with my users and we have the same problems in the office here.
>> My friendly users just don't complain. <g>
>> I'll do some more research. My guess is that you'll need to make the
im.ini
>> on the network writeable.
>>
>> --
>> Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
>> Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
>> Scott Rife wrote in message <37559BF6.84A56D30@wright.edu>...
>> >I have InfoMaker 6.5 installed on the network with nothing but registry
>> >entries set on my client's machines, as documented in Powersoft
>> >reference docs but better written in a message in this newsgroup from
>> >Terry Dykstra "Re: InfoMaker 6 Network Installation" -- thanks Terry.
>> >I've also updated the WinHelp.ini file on the client machine for im6
>> >help paths and to support the online books (as is done when you do a
>> >true install of InfoMaker). This is very similar to the configuration
>> >I've done for the past couple of years for my clients for IM 5.0.
>> >
>> >InfoMaker runs fine but when the Welcome to InfoMaker page or the first
>> >Help attempt is made, my clients get a dialog window entitled "Select
>> >Search Paths" which says inside it "Unable to locate specified file in
>> >any of the specified search paths. Discovered while attempting to
>> >display help file: imwel60.hlp" (the specific help file is different for
>> >help attempts other than the Welcome page). Also listed in the dialog
>> >window are the paths set in both my registry and in my Winhelp.ini for
>> >IM Help -- i:\pwrs\im6\im6\help and i:\pwrs\im6\im6 (i: is a drive on
>> >the network). All you have to do is press the Cancel button on this
>> >window and it continues with whatever Help window is supposed to show up
>> >-- however it's a bit frustrating. You can press "Set" instead of
>> >"Cancel" with one or the other path, but it makes no difference. I've
>> >had this same problem with the IM 5 network install and hoped it would
>> >go away with the upgrade.
>> >
>> >Here's a hint... I don't get the "Select Search Paths" dialog, but I
>> >have write priviledges to this directory on the network. The clients
>> >don't and can't in the future.
>> >
>> >Is there a workaround for this besides telling my clients to hit cancel
>> >everytime they encounter this dialog?
>> >
>> >TIA,
>> >
>> >Scott
>> >
>> >--
>> >
>> >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> > Scott Rife, Systems Consultant
>> > Information Services, CaTS
>> > Wright State University
>> > 140G Library Annex
>> > Email: scott.rife@wright.edu Phone: (937)775-4005
>> >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> >
>> >
>
>--
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Scott Rife, Systems Consultant
> Information Services, CaTS
> Wright State University
> 140G Library Annex
> Email: scott.rife@wright.edu Phone: (937)775-4005
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>