Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Problems Using DDF with IM 6.5

6 posts in PB Infomaker Report Writer Last posting was on 1999-06-23 18:29:08.0Z
Timothy Roberts Posted on 1999-06-09 18:44:28.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 13:44:28 -0500
From: Timothy Roberts <thr@bradley.edu>
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.01 [en] (Win95; I)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Problems Using DDF with IM 6.5
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 8
Message-ID: <348_375EB60C.16ABE59C@bradley.edu>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:6224
Article PK: 240157

I have created some tables in DDF format. I can connect and query on
one table without any trouble, but when I try to link the tables the
system just hangs and doesn't seem to be doing any work. Does anyone
have any suggestions.

Tim Roberts
Bradley University
thr@bradley.edu


Terry Dykstra Posted on 1999-06-09 19:56:52.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
From: "Terry Dykstra" <tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca>
Subject: Re: Problems Using DDF with IM 6.5
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 13:56:52 -0600
Lines: 23
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3612.1700
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3612.1700
Message-ID: <348_caUQcGrs#GA.51@forums.sybase.com>
References: <348_375EB60C.16ABE59C@bradley.edu>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:6223
Article PK: 240156

What version of IM? Are you talking Btrieve here or do you mean Dbase dbf?
How large are these tables? Do you have indexes on these tables? Do you
have all the relevant fields joined?
Does it work when you put an additional restriction on to limit the number
of rows returned? Have you tried running a trace, to see what the system is
doing. You can do this by adding the word trace in the DBMS parameter on
the db-profile: dbms = trace odbc

--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.

Timothy Roberts wrote in message <375EB60C.16ABE59C@bradley.edu>...
> I have created some tables in DDF format. I can connect and query on
>one table without any trouble, but when I try to link the tables the
>system just hangs and doesn't seem to be doing any work. Does anyone
>have any suggestions.
>
>Tim Roberts
>Bradley University
>thr@bradley.edu
>


Timothy Roberts Posted on 1999-06-22 14:34:44.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 09:34:44 -0500
From: Timothy Roberts <thr@bradley.edu>
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.01 [en] (Win95; I)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: Problems Using DDF with IM 6.5
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 33
Message-ID: <348_376F9F04.D070B5E5@bradley.edu>
References: <348_375EB60C.16ABE59C@bradley.edu> <348_caUQcGrs#GA.51@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:6183
Article PK: 240120

I am running version 6.5. I am talking Btrieve. The tables are very
large. I let a simple run go for over 2.5 hours and it still was idle.
Yes, I have indexes on the tables. Yes I have all the relavent fields
joined. Couldn't figure out how to restrict number of lines returned,
and couldn't get the trace file to work.

Tim

Terry Dykstra wrote:

> What version of IM? Are you talking Btrieve here or do you mean Dbase
> dbf?
> How large are these tables? Do you have indexes on these tables? Do
> you
> have all the relevant fields joined?
> Does it work when you put an additional restriction on to limit the
> number
> of rows returned? Have you tried running a trace, to see what the
> system is
> doing. You can do this by adding the word trace in the DBMS parameter
> on
> the db-profile: dbms = trace odbc
>
> --
> Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
> Timothy Roberts wrote in message <375EB60C.16ABE59C@bradley.edu>...
> > I have created some tables in DDF format. I can connect and query
> on
> >one table without any trouble, but when I try to link the tables the
> >system just hangs and doesn't seem to be doing any work. Does anyone
> >have any suggestions.
> >
> >Tim Roberts
> >Bradley University
> >thr@bradley.edu
> >


Terry Dykstra Posted on 1999-06-22 15:17:41.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
From: "Terry Dykstra" <tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca>
Subject: Re: Problems Using DDF with IM 6.5
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 09:17:41 -0600
Lines: 54
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3612.1700
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3612.1700
Message-ID: <348_YYMVkGMv#GA.267@forums.sybase.com>
References: <348_375EB60C.16ABE59C@bradley.edu> <348_caUQcGrs#GA.51@forums.sybase.com> <348_376F9F04.D070B5E5@bradley.edu>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:6180
Article PK: 240116

My instructions for the trace were not very good. They apply to older IM
versions. In Im 6.x you set the option in the DB-Profile on the Connection
tab. There is a check box for 'Generate trace'. It will create a file
c:\windows\pbtrace.log which will show you the exact sql being used and all
the data retrieved.

Start with a simple query, so you get a feel for what is happening.

--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.

Timothy Roberts wrote in message <376F9F04.D070B5E5@bradley.edu>...
>I am running version 6.5. I am talking Btrieve. The tables are very
>large. I let a simple run go for over 2.5 hours and it still was idle.
>Yes, I have indexes on the tables. Yes I have all the relavent fields
>joined. Couldn't figure out how to restrict number of lines returned,
>and couldn't get the trace file to work.
>
>Tim
>
>Terry Dykstra wrote:
>
>> What version of IM? Are you talking Btrieve here or do you mean Dbase
>> dbf?
>> How large are these tables? Do you have indexes on these tables? Do
>> you
>> have all the relevant fields joined?
>> Does it work when you put an additional restriction on to limit the
>> number
>> of rows returned? Have you tried running a trace, to see what the
>> system is
>> doing. You can do this by adding the word trace in the DBMS parameter
>> on
>> the db-profile: dbms = trace odbc
>>
>> --
>> Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
>> Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
>> Timothy Roberts wrote in message <375EB60C.16ABE59C@bradley.edu>...
>> > I have created some tables in DDF format. I can connect and query
>> on
>> >one table without any trouble, but when I try to link the tables the
>> >system just hangs and doesn't seem to be doing any work. Does anyone
>> >have any suggestions.
>> >
>> >Tim Roberts
>> >Bradley University
>> >thr@bradley.edu
>> >
>
>
>


Timothy Roberts Posted on 1999-06-23 17:53:49.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:53:49 -0500
From: Timothy Roberts <thr@bradley.edu>
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.01 [en] (Win95; I)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: Problems Using DDF with IM 6.5
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 102
Message-ID: <348_37711F2D.54C7E147@bradley.edu>
References: <348_375EB60C.16ABE59C@bradley.edu> <348_caUQcGrs#GA.51@forums.sybase.com> <348_376F9F04.D070B5E5@bradley.edu> <348_YYMVkGMv#GA.267@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:6168
Article PK: 240105

Thanks for the new instructions. I ran it and got the results. It seems
to die right after the SELECT statement. The below is the log file:

/*---------------------------------------------------*/
/* 6/23/1999 12:33 */
/*---------------------------------------------------*/
DIALOG CONNECT TO TRACE ODBC:
USERID=public
DATA=s:\admdata\
DBPARM=ConnectString='DSN=Admissions;UID=;PWD=' (14717 MilliSeconds)
TABLE LIST: (20 MilliSeconds)
COLUMNS INFORMATION: TABLE=ACT_SCORES OWNER=public (126 MilliSeconds)
PRIMARY KEY RETRIEVE: (3 MilliSeconds)
FOREIGN KEY RETRIEVE: (109 MilliSeconds)
COLUMNS INFORMATION: TABLE=PERSON OWNER=public (74 MilliSeconds)
PRIMARY KEY RETRIEVE: (0 MilliSeconds)
FOREIGN KEY RETRIEVE: (94 MilliSeconds)
PREPARE (Drop Result Set):
SELECT ACT_SCORES.ProspectId , PERSON.FirstName ,
PERSON.LastName , ACT_SCORES.Composite FROM ACT_SCORES
, PERSON WHERE ( ACT_SCORES.ProspectId = PERSON.ProspectId
) and ( ( ACT_SCORES.ProspectId < 1000 ) and (
ACT_SCORES.Composite >= 30 ) ) (77 MilliSeconds)
DESCRIBE: (7 MilliSeconds)
name=ProspectId,dsntype=INTEGER(4),len=44,type=LONG,pbt=5,dbt=4,ct=0,prec=10,scale=0

name=FirstName,dsntype=CHAR,len=16,type=CHAR,pbt=1,dbt=1,ct=0,prec=15,scale=0

name=LastName,dsntype=CHAR,len=21,type=CHAR,pbt=1,dbt=1,ct=0,prec=20,scale=0

name=Composite,dsntype=INTEGER(2),len=44,type=INT,pbt=6,dbt=5,ct=0,prec=5,scale=0

GET EXTENDED ATTRIBUTES: TABLE=ACT_SCORES OWNER=public (53 MilliSeconds)

GET EXTENDED ATTRIBUTES: TABLE=PERSON OWNER=public (71 MilliSeconds)
PREPARE (Keep Result Set):
SELECT ACT_SCORES.ProspectId , PERSON.FirstName ,
PERSON.LastName , ACT_SCORES.Composite FROM ACT_SCORES
, PERSON WHERE ( ACT_SCORES.ProspectId = PERSON.ProspectId
) and ( ( ACT_SCORES.ProspectId < 1000 ) and (
ACT_SCORES.Composite >= 30 ) )

Thanks For any Help
Tim

Terry Dykstra wrote:

> My instructions for the trace were not very good. They apply to older
> IM
> versions. In Im 6.x you set the option in the DB-Profile on the
> Connection
> tab. There is a check box for 'Generate trace'. It will create a
> file
> c:\windows\pbtrace.log which will show you the exact sql being used
> and all
> the data retrieved.
>
> Start with a simple query, so you get a feel for what is happening.
>
> --
> Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
> Timothy Roberts wrote in message <376F9F04.D070B5E5@bradley.edu>...
> >I am running version 6.5. I am talking Btrieve. The tables are very
> >large. I let a simple run go for over 2.5 hours and it still was
> idle.
> >Yes, I have indexes on the tables. Yes I have all the relavent fields
>
> >joined. Couldn't figure out how to restrict number of lines returned,
>
> >and couldn't get the trace file to work.
> >
> >Tim
> >
> >Terry Dykstra wrote:
> >
> >> What version of IM? Are you talking Btrieve here or do you mean
> Dbase
> >> dbf?
> >> How large are these tables? Do you have indexes on these tables?
> Do
> >> you
> >> have all the relevant fields joined?
> >> Does it work when you put an additional restriction on to limit the
>
> >> number
> >> of rows returned? Have you tried running a trace, to see what the
> >> system is
> >> doing. You can do this by adding the word trace in the DBMS
> parameter
> >> on
> >> the db-profile: dbms = trace odbc
> >>
> >> --
> >> Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> >> Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
> >> Timothy Roberts wrote in message <375EB60C.16ABE59C@bradley.edu>...
>
> >> > I have created some tables in DDF format. I can connect and
> query
> >> on
> >> >one table without any trouble, but when I try to link the tables
> the
> >> >system just hangs and doesn't seem to be doing any work. Does
> anyone
> >> >have any suggestions.
> >> >
> >> >Tim Roberts
> >> >Bradley University
> >> >thr@bradley.edu
> >> >
> >
> >
> >


Terry Dykstra Posted on 1999-06-23 18:29:08.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
From: "Terry Dykstra" <tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca>
Subject: Re: Problems Using DDF with IM 6.5
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:29:08 -0600
Lines: 133
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3612.1700
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3612.1700
Message-ID: <348_ZFVTJWav#GA.205@forums.sybase.com>
References: <348_375EB60C.16ABE59C@bradley.edu> <348_caUQcGrs#GA.51@forums.sybase.com> <348_376F9F04.D070B5E5@bradley.edu> <348_YYMVkGMv#GA.267@forums.sybase.com> <348_37711F2D.54C7E147@bradley.edu>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:6163
Article PK: 240099

That appears to be fine. I'm wondering if you are perhaps running into a
database lock. Try experimenting with some of the settings in the
db-profile:
on the connection tab: turn off commit on disconnect
on the transaction: change the locking to read only.

--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.

Timothy Roberts wrote in message <37711F2D.54C7E147@bradley.edu>...
>Thanks for the new instructions. I ran it and got the results. It seems
>to die right after the SELECT statement. The below is the log file:
>
>/*---------------------------------------------------*/
>/* 6/23/1999 12:33 */
>/*---------------------------------------------------*/
>DIALOG CONNECT TO TRACE ODBC:
>USERID=public
>DATA=s:\admdata\
>DBPARM=ConnectString='DSN=Admissions;UID=;PWD=' (14717 MilliSeconds)
> TABLE LIST: (20 MilliSeconds)
>COLUMNS INFORMATION: TABLE=ACT_SCORES OWNER=public (126 MilliSeconds)
> PRIMARY KEY RETRIEVE: (3 MilliSeconds)
> FOREIGN KEY RETRIEVE: (109 MilliSeconds)
>COLUMNS INFORMATION: TABLE=PERSON OWNER=public (74 MilliSeconds)
> PRIMARY KEY RETRIEVE: (0 MilliSeconds)
> FOREIGN KEY RETRIEVE: (94 MilliSeconds)
>PREPARE (Drop Result Set):
> SELECT ACT_SCORES.ProspectId , PERSON.FirstName ,
>PERSON.LastName , ACT_SCORES.Composite FROM ACT_SCORES
>, PERSON WHERE ( ACT_SCORES.ProspectId = PERSON.ProspectId
>) and ( ( ACT_SCORES.ProspectId < 1000 ) and (
>ACT_SCORES.Composite >= 30 ) ) (77 MilliSeconds)
> DESCRIBE: (7 MilliSeconds)
>name=ProspectId,dsntype=INTEGER(4),len=44,type=LONG,pbt=5,dbt=4,ct=0,prec=1
0,scale=0
>
>name=FirstName,dsntype=CHAR,len=16,type=CHAR,pbt=1,dbt=1,ct=0,prec=15,scale
=0
>
>name=LastName,dsntype=CHAR,len=21,type=CHAR,pbt=1,dbt=1,ct=0,prec=20,scale=
0
>
>name=Composite,dsntype=INTEGER(2),len=44,type=INT,pbt=6,dbt=5,ct=0,prec=5,s
cale=0
>
>GET EXTENDED ATTRIBUTES: TABLE=ACT_SCORES OWNER=public (53 MilliSeconds)
>
>GET EXTENDED ATTRIBUTES: TABLE=PERSON OWNER=public (71 MilliSeconds)
>PREPARE (Keep Result Set):
> SELECT ACT_SCORES.ProspectId , PERSON.FirstName ,
>PERSON.LastName , ACT_SCORES.Composite FROM ACT_SCORES
>, PERSON WHERE ( ACT_SCORES.ProspectId = PERSON.ProspectId
>) and ( ( ACT_SCORES.ProspectId < 1000 ) and (
>ACT_SCORES.Composite >= 30 ) )
>
>Thanks For any Help
>Tim
>
>Terry Dykstra wrote:
>
>> My instructions for the trace were not very good. They apply to older
>> IM
>> versions. In Im 6.x you set the option in the DB-Profile on the
>> Connection
>> tab. There is a check box for 'Generate trace'. It will create a
>> file
>> c:\windows\pbtrace.log which will show you the exact sql being used
>> and all
>> the data retrieved.
>>
>> Start with a simple query, so you get a feel for what is happening.
>>
>> --
>> Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
>> Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
>> Timothy Roberts wrote in message <376F9F04.D070B5E5@bradley.edu>...
>> >I am running version 6.5. I am talking Btrieve. The tables are very
>> >large. I let a simple run go for over 2.5 hours and it still was
>> idle.
>> >Yes, I have indexes on the tables. Yes I have all the relavent fields
>>
>> >joined. Couldn't figure out how to restrict number of lines returned,
>>
>> >and couldn't get the trace file to work.
>> >
>> >Tim
>> >
>> >Terry Dykstra wrote:
>> >
>> >> What version of IM? Are you talking Btrieve here or do you mean
>> Dbase
>> >> dbf?
>> >> How large are these tables? Do you have indexes on these tables?
>> Do
>> >> you
>> >> have all the relevant fields joined?
>> >> Does it work when you put an additional restriction on to limit the
>>
>> >> number
>> >> of rows returned? Have you tried running a trace, to see what the
>> >> system is
>> >> doing. You can do this by adding the word trace in the DBMS
>> parameter
>> >> on
>> >> the db-profile: dbms = trace odbc
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
>> >> Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
>> >> Timothy Roberts wrote in message <375EB60C.16ABE59C@bradley.edu>...
>>
>> >> > I have created some tables in DDF format. I can connect and
>> query
>> >> on
>> >> >one table without any trouble, but when I try to link the tables
>> the
>> >> >system just hangs and doesn't seem to be doing any work. Does
>> anyone
>> >> >have any suggestions.
>> >> >
>> >> >Tim Roberts
>> >> >Bradley University
>> >> >thr@bradley.edu
>> >> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>
>
>