Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Required entry for DropDownDW edit style

4 posts in PB Infomaker Report Writer Last posting was on 1999-07-20 15:02:29.0Z
LarryB Posted on 1999-07-15 19:07:13.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
From: "LarryB" <lhb1@mindspring.com>
Subject: Required entry for DropDownDW edit style
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:07:13 -0400
Lines: 9
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3110.5
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3110.3
Message-ID: <348_PrpBETvz#GA.270@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:6096
Article PK: 240032

How come when I check the "Required" box in the edit tab for DropDownDW
style I can still enter a blank value. I want the user to be required to
enter something.

IM 6.5.1

-LarryB


Terry Dykstra Posted on 1999-07-16 18:49:04.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
From: "Terry Dykstra" <tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca>
Subject: Re: Required entry for DropDownDW edit style
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 12:49:04 -0600
Lines: 26
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3612.1700
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3612.1700
Message-ID: <348_rbBIZt7z#GA.313@forums.sybase.com>
References: <348_PrpBETvz#GA.270@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:6095
Article PK: 240031

If the field never receives focus (i.e. you click on it), the behind the
screen column validation will not trigger.
In PB you can write code so that all required columns get validated, even
when you don't use them. Unfortunately IM doesn't have this capability.

There is an ugly solution: On one of the key columns you can put a
Validation:
NOT ISNULL(field_that_should_not_be_null)
It works, but the moment you tab off this field the message will popup if
the required field hasn't been entered yet. So for this to work nicely, you
will need to set the tab-order, so that the required field comes first.
--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.

LarryB wrote in message ...
>How come when I check the "Required" box in the edit tab for DropDownDW
>style I can still enter a blank value. I want the user to be required to
>enter something.
>
>IM 6.5.1
>
>-LarryB
>
>


LarryB Posted on 1999-07-16 20:58:35.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
From: "LarryB" <lhb1@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Required entry for DropDownDW edit style
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 16:58:35 -0400
Lines: 37
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3110.5
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3110.3
Message-ID: <348_9wX#A28z#GA.155@forums.sybase.com>
References: <348_PrpBETvz#GA.270@forums.sybase.com> <348_rbBIZt7z#GA.313@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:6093
Article PK: 240030

Well, actually I'm using this field as Prompt for Criteria list box when
doing a search. Is there a way to enforce that they put in a value or if
possible substitute a fake value if it is not entered?


-Larry B

Terry Dykstra wrote in message ...
>If the field never receives focus (i.e. you click on it), the behind the
>screen column validation will not trigger.
>In PB you can write code so that all required columns get validated, even
>when you don't use them. Unfortunately IM doesn't have this capability.
>
>There is an ugly solution: On one of the key columns you can put a
>Validation:
>NOT ISNULL(field_that_should_not_be_null)
>It works, but the moment you tab off this field the message will popup if
>the required field hasn't been entered yet. So for this to work nicely,
you
>will need to set the tab-order, so that the required field comes first.
>--
>Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
>Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
>LarryB wrote in message ...
>>How come when I check the "Required" box in the edit tab for DropDownDW
>>style I can still enter a blank value. I want the user to be required to
>>enter something.
>>
>>IM 6.5.1
>>
>>-LarryB
>>
>>
>
>


Terry Dykstra Posted on 1999-07-20 15:02:29.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.infomaker.general
From: "Terry Dykstra" <tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca>
Subject: Re: Required entry for DropDownDW edit style
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 09:02:29 -0600
Lines: 46
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3612.1700
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3612.1700
Message-ID: <348_bhc2OBs0#GA.146@forums.sybase.com>
References: <348_PrpBETvz#GA.270@forums.sybase.com> <348_rbBIZt7z#GA.313@forums.sybase.com> <348_9wX#A28z#GA.155@forums.sybase.com>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.infomaker.general:6080
Article PK: 240014

Yes there is. On the field specify on the 'General tab' under the option
'Query criteria' the option 'Equality required'.

--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.

LarryB wrote in message <9wX#A28z#GA.155@forums.sybase.com>...
>Well, actually I'm using this field as Prompt for Criteria list box when
>doing a search. Is there a way to enforce that they put in a value or if
>possible substitute a fake value if it is not entered?
>
>
>-Larry B
>
>Terry Dykstra wrote in message ...
>>If the field never receives focus (i.e. you click on it), the behind the
>>screen column validation will not trigger.
>>In PB you can write code so that all required columns get validated, even
>>when you don't use them. Unfortunately IM doesn't have this capability.
>>
>>There is an ugly solution: On one of the key columns you can put a
>>Validation:
>>NOT ISNULL(field_that_should_not_be_null)
>>It works, but the moment you tab off this field the message will popup if
>>the required field hasn't been entered yet. So for this to work nicely,
>you
>>will need to set the tab-order, so that the required field comes first.
>>--
>>Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
>>Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
>>LarryB wrote in message ...
>>>How come when I check the "Required" box in the edit tab for DropDownDW
>>>style I can still enter a blank value. I want the user to be required to
>>>enter something.
>>>
>>>IM 6.5.1
>>>
>>>-LarryB
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>