Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

"isdefined" function or property?

6 posts in Objects Last posting was on 2003-05-22 16:26:06.0Z
HA Posted on 2003-05-22 15:32:13.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
From: ha
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 11:32:13 -0400
Subject: "isdefined" function or property?
Lines: 9
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Message-ID: <364_ADD9379B34AE510C005558D885256D2E.005558E685256D2E@webforums>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!webforums.sybase.com!news
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:7413
Article PK: 734701

i am a new powerbuilder developer coming from cold fusion where we had a
function called "isdefined()" to determine, error free, if a variable
existed or not. i was wondering if powerbuilder has a similar function or
property for window objects?

i would like some way of determining if a certain window is open or not.

also, is there a "lostfocus" event for windows? i found it for datawindows
but not for windows.


Alex_Osin Posted on 2003-05-22 16:16:35.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
From: Alex_Osin
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 12:16:35 -0400
Subject: Re: "isdefined" function or property?
Lines: 11
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Message-ID: <364_81267549DA11A765005968D985256D2E.0058C30585256D2E@webforums>
References: <364_ADD9379B34AE510C005558D885256D2E.005558E685256D2E@webforums>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!webforums.sybase.com!news
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:7415
Article PK: 734700

HA,

>also, is there a "lostfocus" event for windows? i found it for
>datawindows but not for windows.

DEACTIVATE => Occurs when the window becomes inactive.
and
ACTIVATE => Occurs just before the window becomes active.

HTH
Alex Osin


HA Posted on 2003-05-22 16:26:06.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
From: ha
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 12:26:06 -0400
Subject: Re: "isdefined" function or property?
Lines: 2
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Message-ID: <364_DF09F2D8B3B99346005A47DC85256D2E.005968F585256D2E@webforums>
References: <364_ADD9379B34AE510C005558D885256D2E.005558E685256D2E@webforums> <364_81267549DA11A765005968D985256D2E.0058C30585256D2E@webforums>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!webforums.sybase.com!news
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:7416
Article PK: 734702

isn't this just for when the window closes? i need something that will
trigger when the uses clicks off the window while it is still open.


Chris Pollach Posted on 2003-05-22 16:20:07.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
From: "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com>
Subject: Re: "isdefined" function or property?
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 12:20:07 -0400
Lines: 12
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
NNTP-Posting-Host: firewall.scc-csc.gc.ca 209.47.227.130
Message-ID: <364_#dreB6HIDHA.221@forums-1-dub>
References: <364_ADD9379B34AE510C005558D885256D2E.005558E685256D2E@webforums> <364_81267549DA11A765005968D985256D2E.0058C30585256D2E@webforums> <364_DF09F2D8B3B99346005A47DC85256D2E.005968F585256D2E@webforums>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums-1-dub.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:7417
Article PK: 734706

Ha;

" Deactivate" is that such event for the Window!

Regards ... Chris

<ha> wrote in message
news:DF09F2D8B3B99346005A47DC85256D2E.005968F585256D2E@webforums...
> isn't this just for when the window closes? i need something that will
> trigger when the uses clicks off the window while it is still open.


<WS> Posted on 2003-05-22 15:10:01.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
Reply-To: <WS>
From: <WS>
Subject: Re: "isdefined" function or property?
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 11:10:01 -0400
Lines: 23
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4807.1700
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4807.1700
NNTP-Posting-Host: sha5.sha.state.md.us 207.86.24.134
Message-ID: <364_e$RCgUHIDHA.218@forums-2-dub>
References: <364_ADD9379B34AE510C005558D885256D2E.005558E685256D2E@webforums>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums-2-dub.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:7414
Article PK: 734704

you could use
IsValid ( objectvariable ) ........
...........Determines whether an object variable is instantiated-whether its
value is a valid object handle.
..........Returns TRUE if objectvariable is an instantiated object. Returns
FALSE if objectvariable is not an object, or if it is an object that is not
instantiated. If objectvariable is NULL, IsValid returns NULL.

<ha> wrote in message
news:ADD9379B34AE510C005558D885256D2E.005558E685256D2E@webforums...
> i am a new powerbuilder developer coming from cold fusion where we had a
> function called "isdefined()" to determine, error free, if a variable
> existed or not. i was wondering if powerbuilder has a similar function or
> property for window objects?
>
> i would like some way of determining if a certain window is open or not.
>
> also, is there a "lostfocus" event for windows? i found it for
datawindows
> but not for windows.


Chris Pollach Posted on 2003-05-22 16:21:21.0Z
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
From: "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@ajja.com>
Subject: Re: "isdefined" function or property?
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 12:21:21 -0400
Lines: 39
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
NNTP-Posting-Host: firewall.scc-csc.gc.ca 209.47.227.130
Message-ID: <364_uVP6W8HIDHA.218@forums-2-dub>
References: <364_ADD9379B34AE510C005558D885256D2E.005558E685256D2E@webforums> <364_e$RCgUHIDHA.218@forums-2-dub>
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums-2-dub.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:7418
Article PK: 734703

Ha;

You can also use ...

IF Handle (objectvariable) > 0 THEN

Regards ... Chris
Great White North Technical Evangelist

<WS> wrote in message news:e$RCgUHIDHA.218@forums-2-dub...
> you could use
> IsValid ( objectvariable ) ........
> ...........Determines whether an object variable is instantiated-whether
its
> value is a valid object handle.
> ..........Returns TRUE if objectvariable is an instantiated object.
Returns
> FALSE if objectvariable is not an object, or if it is an object that is
not
> instantiated. If objectvariable is NULL, IsValid returns NULL.
>
>
> <ha> wrote in message
> news:ADD9379B34AE510C005558D885256D2E.005558E685256D2E@webforums...
> > i am a new powerbuilder developer coming from cold fusion where we had a
> > function called "isdefined()" to determine, error free, if a variable
> > existed or not. i was wondering if powerbuilder has a similar function
or
> > property for window objects?
> >
> > i would like some way of determining if a certain window is open or not.
> >
> > also, is there a "lostfocus" event for windows? i found it for
> datawindows
> > but not for windows.
>
>