Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Can not dump Sybase transaction

4 posts in Windows NT Last posting was on 2000-03-08 15:01:22.0Z
Yale Posted on 2000-03-07 07:05:51.0Z
Message-ID: <38C4AA4F.9B7E850A@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 15:05:51 +0800
From: Yale <yaledu@hotmail.com>
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.7 [en] (WinNT; U)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Can not dump Sybase transaction
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=gb2312
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlserver.nt
Lines: 9
NNTP-Posting-Host: 61.130.32.243
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlserver.nt:2450
Article PK: 1089902

I use Sybase 11.5.1 on NT 4.0 for long time.But it causes a problem
now.If I run a
big data application ,the sqlserver causes "Can not send" error,and at
this time the log can not be dumped !If I restart the server ,the log
can be dumped normaly.My applicantion has no problem. I need restart the
server one day twice.Who can help me?Thanks.


"Mark A. Parsons" <iron_horse Posted on 2000-03-07 09:39:28.0Z
Message-ID: <38C4CE50.31DE9C3B@compu_serve.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 22:39:28 +1300
From: "Mark A. Parsons" <iron_horse@compu_serve.com>
Organization: Pegasys Ltd
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.61 [en] (Win98; U)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: Can not dump Sybase transaction
References: <38C4AA4F.9B7E850A@hotmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlserver.nt
Lines: 42
NNTP-Posting-Host: p394.ipa1-n8-16.iconz.net.nz 210.48.25.138
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlserver.nt:2448
Article PK: 1089901


Yale wrote:
>
> I use Sybase 11.5.1 on NT 4.0 for long time.But it causes a problem
> now.If I run a
> big data application ,the sqlserver causes "Can not send" error,and at
> this time the log can not be dumped !If I restart the server ,the log
> can be dumped normaly.My applicantion has no problem. I need restart the
> server one day twice.Who can help me?Thanks.

Right off the bat it sounds like your 'big data application' is probably
filling up your log and getting itself suspended.

Since this application is still holding an open transaction, and the log
is full, you'll either find that the 'dump tran' will not work (due to
lack of space in the log) or it will not clear the log (due to big
honkin', long running, open transaction).

The reason why everything appears to work 'fine' after booting the
server ... booting the server kills off all connections and thus any
open transactions. So once the server comes back up there are no longer
any connections holding big honkin', long running, open transactions and
therefore you can dump the log.

I'd suggest you either increase your log size and/or re-design your
application so that it does it's 'thing' in smaller transactional chunks
(combined with more frequent log dumps).

If you're still having problems I'd suggest you run the following from
an isql session the next time your problem shows up:

select getdate()
go
select * from master..syslogshold
go
sp_who
go
sp_lock
go

Then post the results of this information back here to the forum where
someone here may be able to shine some more light on your issue(s).

--
Mark Parsons
Pegasys Ltd


Yale Posted on 2000-03-08 01:18:25.0Z
Message-ID: <38C5AA60.D69D9C71@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 09:18:25 +0800
From: Yale <yaledu@hotmail.com>
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.7 [en] (WinNT; U)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: Can not dump Sybase transaction
References: <38C4AA4F.9B7E850A@hotmail.com> <38C4CE50.31DE9C3B@compu_serve.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=gb2312
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlserver.nt
Lines: 47
NNTP-Posting-Host: 61.130.32.29
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlserver.nt:2444
Article PK: 1089900

When the "big data application" disconnect from the sqlserver,i also can not
dump
the log.

"Mark A. Parsons" wrote:

> Yale wrote:
> >
> > I use Sybase 11.5.1 on NT 4.0 for long time.But it causes a problem
> > now.If I run a
> > big data application ,the sqlserver causes "Can not send" error,and at
> > this time the log can not be dumped !If I restart the server ,the log
> > can be dumped normaly.My applicantion has no problem. I need restart the
> > server one day twice.Who can help me?Thanks.
>
> Right off the bat it sounds like your 'big data application' is probably
> filling up your log and getting itself suspended.
>
> Since this application is still holding an open transaction, and the log
> is full, you'll either find that the 'dump tran' will not work (due to
> lack of space in the log) or it will not clear the log (due to big
> honkin', long running, open transaction).
>
> The reason why everything appears to work 'fine' after booting the
> server ... booting the server kills off all connections and thus any
> open transactions. So once the server comes back up there are no longer
> any connections holding big honkin', long running, open transactions and
> therefore you can dump the log.
>
> I'd suggest you either increase your log size and/or re-design your
> application so that it does it's 'thing' in smaller transactional chunks
> (combined with more frequent log dumps).
>
> If you're still having problems I'd suggest you run the following from
> an isql session the next time your problem shows up:
>
> select getdate()
> go
> select * from master..syslogshold
> go
> sp_who
> go
> sp_lock
> go
>
> Then post the results of this information back here to the forum where
> someone here may be able to shine some more light on your issue(s).
>
> --
> Mark Parsons
> Pegasys Ltd


Eric McGrane Posted on 2000-03-08 15:01:22.0Z
Message-ID: <38C66B42.681CF449@sybase.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 10:01:22 -0500
From: Eric McGrane <mcgrane@sybase.com>
Organization: Sybase, Inc.
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.7 [en]C-CCK-MCD (WinNT; I)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: Yale <yaledu@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Can not dump Sybase transaction
References: <38C4AA4F.9B7E850A@hotmail.com> <38C4CE50.31DE9C3B@compu_serve.com> <38C5AA60.D69D9C71@hotmail.com>
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="------------5CFAD9963A289DCC1AA7C05E"
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlserver.nt
Lines: 75
NNTP-Posting-Host: mcgrane-nt.sybase.com 157.133.126.171
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlserver.nt:2440
Article PK: 1089892

As Mark suggested in his response to your orignal post if you can get the info
like sp_who/sp_lock select form syslogshold it might provide a clue as to why
the dump is failing to truncate the log.

E

Yale wrote:

> When the "big data application" disconnect from the sqlserver,i also can not
> dump
> the log.
>
> "Mark A. Parsons" wrote:
>
> > Yale wrote:
> > >
> > > I use Sybase 11.5.1 on NT 4.0 for long time.But it causes a problem
> > > now.If I run a
> > > big data application ,the sqlserver causes "Can not send" error,and at
> > > this time the log can not be dumped !If I restart the server ,the log
> > > can be dumped normaly.My applicantion has no problem. I need restart the
> > > server one day twice.Who can help me?Thanks.
> >
> > Right off the bat it sounds like your 'big data application' is probably
> > filling up your log and getting itself suspended.
> >
> > Since this application is still holding an open transaction, and the log
> > is full, you'll either find that the 'dump tran' will not work (due to
> > lack of space in the log) or it will not clear the log (due to big
> > honkin', long running, open transaction).
> >
> > The reason why everything appears to work 'fine' after booting the
> > server ... booting the server kills off all connections and thus any
> > open transactions. So once the server comes back up there are no longer
> > any connections holding big honkin', long running, open transactions and
> > therefore you can dump the log.
> >
> > I'd suggest you either increase your log size and/or re-design your
> > application so that it does it's 'thing' in smaller transactional chunks
> > (combined with more frequent log dumps).
> >
> > If you're still having problems I'd suggest you run the following from
> > an isql session the next time your problem shows up:
> >
> > select getdate()
> > go
> > select * from master..syslogshold
> > go
> > sp_who
> > go
> > sp_lock
> > go
> >
> > Then post the results of this information back here to the forum where
> > someone here may be able to shine some more light on your issue(s).
> >
> > --
> > Mark Parsons
> > Pegasys Ltd


Download VCard mcgrane.vcf