Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

"Database Interface does not support Remote Procedure Calls"

5 posts in ,  DatabaseGeneral Discussion General Discussion Last posting was on 2003-08-12 16:32:15.0Z
Mike Niemann Posted on 2003-08-11 19:57:12.0Z
From: "Mike Niemann" <mniemann@oowidgets.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general,sybase.public.powerbuilder.database,sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
Subject: "Database Interface does not support Remote Procedure Calls"
Lines: 33
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 167.83.10.24
Message-ID: <3f37f52d$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 11 Aug 2003 12:57:33 -0700, 167.83.10.24
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
Date: 11 Aug 2003 12:57:12 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1060631832 10.22.241.42 (11 Aug 2003 12:57:12 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 11 Aug 2003 12:57:12 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:1560 sybase.public.powerbuilder.database:21444 sybase.public.powerbuilder.general:149143
Article PK: 3789

We have a PowerBuilder application that is installed [along with ASA 8.01
OEM version].

In the U.S. and Canada, we have no problems.

In Spain and France, we see the subject error message...

We are using the ASA 8.01 silent install, invoked from InstallShield 8.x.

The calling code from PowerBuilder looks like this:

Subroutine: n_tr.of_get_codeid
Scope: (public) local external subroutine
Prototype: of_get_codeid (string s_baxterid,
ref long l_codeid)
RPCFUNC ALIAS FOR "~"BAXTER~".~"sp_get_codeid~""

where baxter.sp_get_codeid is a stored procedure as follows:

ALTER procedure Baxter.sp_get_codeid(s_baxtercode char(80),out l_codeid
integer)
begin
select codeid into l_codeid from code where baxtercodeid = s_baxtercode
end

I don't know if this is a PowerBuilder or ASA problem... but the error
message is definately from ASA.

Regards, Mike Niemann

PS - Sorry for cross-posting


Michael Klygin Posted on 2003-08-12 06:03:56.0Z
From: "Michael Klygin" <michael.klygin@mtu-net.ru>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general,sybase.public.powerbuilder.database,sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
References: <3f37f52d$1@forums-2-dub>
Subject: Re: "Database Interface does not support Remote Procedure Calls"
Lines: 44
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
NNTP-Posting-Host: ppp128-166.dialup.mtu-net.ru
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: ppp128-166.dialup.mtu-net.ru
Message-ID: <3f38834c@forums-1-dub>
Date: 11 Aug 2003 23:03:56 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1060668236 62.118.128.166 (11 Aug 2003 23:03:56 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 11 Aug 2003 23:03:56 -0700, ppp128-166.dialup.mtu-net.ru
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:1564 sybase.public.powerbuilder.database:21447 sybase.public.powerbuilder.general:149171
Article PK: 3793

Please, check DisableBind setting in dbparm property of transaction object.

if DisableBind=1 - no remote procedure calls suppoerted.

Michael Klygin

"Mike Niemann" <mniemann@oowidgets.com> wrote in message
news:3f37f52d$1@forums-2-dub...
> We have a PowerBuilder application that is installed [along with ASA 8.01
> OEM version].
>
> In the U.S. and Canada, we have no problems.
>
> In Spain and France, we see the subject error message...
>
> We are using the ASA 8.01 silent install, invoked from InstallShield 8.x.
>
> The calling code from PowerBuilder looks like this:
>
> Subroutine: n_tr.of_get_codeid
> Scope: (public) local external subroutine
> Prototype: of_get_codeid (string s_baxterid,
> ref long l_codeid)
> RPCFUNC ALIAS FOR "~"BAXTER~".~"sp_get_codeid~""
>
> where baxter.sp_get_codeid is a stored procedure as follows:
>
> ALTER procedure Baxter.sp_get_codeid(s_baxtercode char(80),out l_codeid
> integer)
> begin
> select codeid into l_codeid from code where baxtercodeid = s_baxtercode
> end
>
> I don't know if this is a PowerBuilder or ASA problem... but the error
> message is definately from ASA.
>
> Regards, Mike Niemann
>
> PS - Sorry for cross-posting
>
>


Mike Niemann Posted on 2003-08-12 12:51:30.0Z
From: "Mike Niemann" <mniemann@oowidgets.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general,sybase.public.powerbuilder.database,sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
References: <3f37f52d$1@forums-2-dub> <3f38834c@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: "Database Interface does not support Remote Procedure Calls"
Lines: 63
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
NNTP-Posting-Host: 167.83.10.24
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 167.83.10.24
Message-ID: <3f38e2d2@forums-1-dub>
Date: 12 Aug 2003 05:51:30 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1060692690 167.83.10.24 (12 Aug 2003 05:51:30 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 12 Aug 2003 05:51:30 -0700, 167.83.10.24
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:1565 sybase.public.powerbuilder.database:21451 sybase.public.powerbuilder.general:149179
Article PK: 3794

Michael,

We do use DisableBind=1, but I don't think that is the problem... since we
have always done so [since ASA 6.5], and we have no problems in the U.S. and
Canada.

It seems very difficult to see exactly what DisableBind=1 does by reviewing
both the PowerBuilder and ASA help... other than not pre-binding parameters.

Regards, Mike Niemann

"Michael Klygin" <michael.klygin@mtu-net.ru> wrote in message
news:3f38834c@forums-1-dub...
> Please, check DisableBind setting in dbparm property of transaction
object.
>
> if DisableBind=1 - no remote procedure calls suppoerted.
>
> Michael Klygin
>
>
> "Mike Niemann" <mniemann@oowidgets.com> wrote in message
> news:3f37f52d$1@forums-2-dub...
> > We have a PowerBuilder application that is installed [along with ASA
8.01
> > OEM version].
> >
> > In the U.S. and Canada, we have no problems.
> >
> > In Spain and France, we see the subject error message...
> >
> > We are using the ASA 8.01 silent install, invoked from InstallShield
8.x.
> >
> > The calling code from PowerBuilder looks like this:
> >
> > Subroutine: n_tr.of_get_codeid
> > Scope: (public) local external subroutine
> > Prototype: of_get_codeid (string s_baxterid,
> > ref long l_codeid)
> > RPCFUNC ALIAS FOR "~"BAXTER~".~"sp_get_codeid~""
> >
> > where baxter.sp_get_codeid is a stored procedure as follows:
> >
> > ALTER procedure Baxter.sp_get_codeid(s_baxtercode char(80),out l_codeid
> > integer)
> > begin
> > select codeid into l_codeid from code where baxtercodeid =
s_baxtercode
> > end
> >
> > I don't know if this is a PowerBuilder or ASA problem... but the error
> > message is definately from ASA.
> >
> > Regards, Mike Niemann
> >
> > PS - Sorry for cross-posting
> >
> >
>
>


Jim O'Neil [Sybase] Posted on 2003-08-12 15:12:50.0Z
From: joneil@sybase.com (Jim O'Neil [Sybase])
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general,sybase.public.powerbuilder.database,sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
Subject: Re: "Database Interface does not support Remote Procedure Calls"
Organization: Sybase Technical Support
Reply-To: joneil_REMOVETHISPART@sybase.com
Message-ID: <3f390354.2657791@forums.sybase.com>
References: <3f37f52d$1@forums-2-dub> <3f38834c@forums-1-dub> <3f38e2d2@forums-1-dub>
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.21/32.243
NNTP-Posting-Host: joneilpc.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: joneilpc.sybase.com
Date: 12 Aug 2003 08:12:50 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1060701170 204.167.42.59 (12 Aug 2003 08:12:50 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 12 Aug 2003 08:12:50 -0700, joneilpc.sybase.com
Lines: 77
X-Authenticated-User: teamsybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:1569 sybase.public.powerbuilder.database:21453 sybase.public.powerbuilder.general:149192
Article PK: 3798

Michael is correct, if you set DisableBind=1 then RPCs are disabled.
Parameter binding is required; otherwise, there is no mechanism for
passing in the function arguments. DisableBind is a 'hot' DBParm,
however, so you can set it back and forth from 0 to 1 within the
context of a single connection.

On 12 Aug 2003 05:51:30 -0700, "Mike Niemann" <mniemann@oowidgets.com>

wrote:

>Michael,
>
>We do use DisableBind=1, but I don't think that is the problem... since we
>have always done so [since ASA 6.5], and we have no problems in the U.S. and
>Canada.
>
>It seems very difficult to see exactly what DisableBind=1 does by reviewing
>both the PowerBuilder and ASA help... other than not pre-binding parameters.
>
>Regards, Mike Niemann
>
>"Michael Klygin" <michael.klygin@mtu-net.ru> wrote in message
>news:3f38834c@forums-1-dub...
>> Please, check DisableBind setting in dbparm property of transaction
>object.
>>
>> if DisableBind=1 - no remote procedure calls suppoerted.
>>
>> Michael Klygin
>>
>>
>> "Mike Niemann" <mniemann@oowidgets.com> wrote in message
>> news:3f37f52d$1@forums-2-dub...
>> > We have a PowerBuilder application that is installed [along with ASA
>8.01
>> > OEM version].
>> >
>> > In the U.S. and Canada, we have no problems.
>> >
>> > In Spain and France, we see the subject error message...
>> >
>> > We are using the ASA 8.01 silent install, invoked from InstallShield
>8.x.
>> >
>> > The calling code from PowerBuilder looks like this:
>> >
>> > Subroutine: n_tr.of_get_codeid
>> > Scope: (public) local external subroutine
>> > Prototype: of_get_codeid (string s_baxterid,
>> > ref long l_codeid)
>> > RPCFUNC ALIAS FOR "~"BAXTER~".~"sp_get_codeid~""
>> >
>> > where baxter.sp_get_codeid is a stored procedure as follows:
>> >
>> > ALTER procedure Baxter.sp_get_codeid(s_baxtercode char(80),out l_codeid
>> > integer)
>> > begin
>> > select codeid into l_codeid from code where baxtercodeid =
>s_baxtercode
>> > end
>> >
>> > I don't know if this is a PowerBuilder or ASA problem... but the error
>> > message is definately from ASA.
>> >
>> > Regards, Mike Niemann
>> >
>> > PS - Sorry for cross-posting
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>
>

Jim O'Neil
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Sybase, Inc.
Concord, MA


Mike Niemann Posted on 2003-08-12 16:32:15.0Z
From: "Mike Niemann" <mniemann@oowidgets.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general,sybase.public.powerbuilder.database,sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
References: <3f37f52d$1@forums-2-dub> <3f38834c@forums-1-dub> <3f38e2d2@forums-1-dub> <3f390354.2657791@forums.sybase.com>
Subject: Re: "Database Interface does not support Remote Procedure Calls"
Lines: 101
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 167.83.10.24
Message-ID: <3f3916a7@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 12 Aug 2003 09:32:39 -0700, 167.83.10.24
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
Date: 12 Aug 2003 09:32:15 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1060705935 10.22.241.42 (12 Aug 2003 09:32:15 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 12 Aug 2003 09:32:15 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:1572 sybase.public.powerbuilder.database:21454 sybase.public.powerbuilder.general:149206
Article PK: 3801

Jim,

I appreciate your input, but I don't think "DisableBind=1" has anything to
do with the problem we've encountered. My guess is the installation /
environment variables are the problem.

If I get a few spare minutes, I'll put together a demo app and DB that shows
the RPCFUNC style of invoking stored procedures will work with or without
"DisableBind=1". I'm pretty confident on this one... our app has been
running that way for the last 2 years [and continues to work that way in the
U.S. and Canada].

Regards, Mike Niemann

"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:3f390354.2657791@forums.sybase.com...
> Michael is correct, if you set DisableBind=1 then RPCs are disabled.
> Parameter binding is required; otherwise, there is no mechanism for
> passing in the function arguments. DisableBind is a 'hot' DBParm,
> however, so you can set it back and forth from 0 to 1 within the
> context of a single connection.
>
> On 12 Aug 2003 05:51:30 -0700, "Mike Niemann" <mniemann@oowidgets.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Michael,
> >
> >We do use DisableBind=1, but I don't think that is the problem... since
we
> >have always done so [since ASA 6.5], and we have no problems in the U.S.
and
> >Canada.
> >
> >It seems very difficult to see exactly what DisableBind=1 does by
reviewing
> >both the PowerBuilder and ASA help... other than not pre-binding
parameters.
> >
> >Regards, Mike Niemann
> >
> >"Michael Klygin" <michael.klygin@mtu-net.ru> wrote in message
> >news:3f38834c@forums-1-dub...
> >> Please, check DisableBind setting in dbparm property of transaction
> >object.
> >>
> >> if DisableBind=1 - no remote procedure calls suppoerted.
> >>
> >> Michael Klygin
> >>
> >>
> >> "Mike Niemann" <mniemann@oowidgets.com> wrote in message
> >> news:3f37f52d$1@forums-2-dub...
> >> > We have a PowerBuilder application that is installed [along with ASA
> >8.01
> >> > OEM version].
> >> >
> >> > In the U.S. and Canada, we have no problems.
> >> >
> >> > In Spain and France, we see the subject error message...
> >> >
> >> > We are using the ASA 8.01 silent install, invoked from InstallShield
> >8.x.
> >> >
> >> > The calling code from PowerBuilder looks like this:
> >> >
> >> > Subroutine: n_tr.of_get_codeid
> >> > Scope: (public) local external subroutine
> >> > Prototype: of_get_codeid (string s_baxterid,
> >> > ref long l_codeid)
> >> > RPCFUNC ALIAS FOR "~"BAXTER~".~"sp_get_codeid~""
> >> >
> >> > where baxter.sp_get_codeid is a stored procedure as follows:
> >> >
> >> > ALTER procedure Baxter.sp_get_codeid(s_baxtercode char(80),out
l_codeid
> >> > integer)
> >> > begin
> >> > select codeid into l_codeid from code where baxtercodeid =
> >s_baxtercode
> >> > end
> >> >
> >> > I don't know if this is a PowerBuilder or ASA problem... but the
error
> >> > message is definately from ASA.
> >> >
> >> > Regards, Mike Niemann
> >> >
> >> > PS - Sorry for cross-posting
> >> >
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
> Jim O'Neil
> Principal Technical Support Engineer
> Sybase, Inc.
> Concord, MA