Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Collections Java in PB

9 posts in EJB Client Last posting was on 2003-08-27 15:15:13.0Z
Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho Posted on 2003-08-22 13:28:41.0Z
From: "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho" <peoft@terra.com.br>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient
Subject: Collections Java in PB
Lines: 10
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
NNTP-Posting-Host: 200-102-085-013.nhoce7002.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 200-102-085-013.nhoce7002.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br
Message-ID: <3f461a89@forums-1-dub>
Date: 22 Aug 2003 06:28:41 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1061558921 200.102.85.13 (22 Aug 2003 06:28:41 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 22 Aug 2003 06:28:41 -0700, 200-102-085-013.nhoce7002.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient:136
Article PK: 424330

Hi, all.

Somebody knows how can I manipulate or access "collections java" in PB (EJB
Client)?

Thanks in advance.

Paulo Eduardo.


Jim O'Neil [Sybase] Posted on 2003-08-22 17:40:28.0Z
From: joneil@sybase.com (Jim O'Neil [Sybase])
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient
Subject: Re: Collections Java in PB
Organization: Sybase Technical Support
Reply-To: joneil_REMOVETHISPART@sybase.com
Message-ID: <3f465520.17976538@forums.sybase.com>
References: <3f461a89@forums-1-dub>
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.21/32.243
NNTP-Posting-Host: joneilpc.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: joneilpc.sybase.com
Date: 22 Aug 2003 10:40:28 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1061574028 204.167.42.59 (22 Aug 2003 10:40:28 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 22 Aug 2003 10:40:28 -0700, joneilpc.sybase.com
Lines: 23
X-Authenticated-User: TeamPS
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient:137
Article PK: 424331

You will get a proxy for Collection when you generate the EJB proxies
in PowerBuilder. Use that as you would a Collection class in Java.
If you need to access the actual class, take a look at the methods on
the JavaVM include getActualClass, DynamicCast, etc.

On 22 Aug 2003 06:28:41 -0700, "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho"

<peoft@terra.com.br> wrote:

>Hi, all.
>
>Somebody knows how can I manipulate or access "collections java" in PB (EJB
>Client)?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Paulo Eduardo.
>
>

Jim O'Neil
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Sybase, Inc.
Concord, MA


Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho Posted on 2003-08-25 20:28:33.0Z
From: "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho" <peoft@terra.com.br>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient
References: <3f461a89@forums-1-dub> <3f465520.17976538@forums.sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Collections Java in PB
Lines: 33
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 200-102-085-013.nhoce7002.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br
Message-ID: <3f4a719c@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 25 Aug 2003 13:29:16 -0700, 200-102-085-013.nhoce7002.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 25 Aug 2003 13:27:14 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 25 Aug 2003 13:28:33 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1061843313 10.22.108.75 (25 Aug 2003 13:28:33 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 25 Aug 2003 13:28:33 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient:138
Article PK: 424333

Hi, Jim.

It is possible in PB 8.0.3 Build 9950?

"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:3f465520.17976538@forums.sybase.com...
> You will get a proxy for Collection when you generate the EJB proxies
> in PowerBuilder. Use that as you would a Collection class in Java.
> If you need to access the actual class, take a look at the methods on
> the JavaVM include getActualClass, DynamicCast, etc.
>
> On 22 Aug 2003 06:28:41 -0700, "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho"
> <peoft@terra.com.br> wrote:
>
> >Hi, all.
> >
> >Somebody knows how can I manipulate or access "collections java" in PB
(EJB
> >Client)?
> >
> >Thanks in advance.
> >
> >Paulo Eduardo.
> >
> >
>
> Jim O'Neil
> Principal Technical Support Engineer
> Sybase, Inc.
> Concord, MA


Jim O'Neil [Sybase] Posted on 2003-08-25 21:52:04.0Z
From: joneil@sybase.com (Jim O'Neil [Sybase])
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient
Subject: Re: Collections Java in PB
Organization: Sybase Technical Support
Reply-To: joneil_REMOVETHISPART@sybase.com
Message-ID: <3f4a8480.34593172@forums.sybase.com>
References: <3f461a89@forums-1-dub> <3f465520.17976538@forums.sybase.com> <3f4a719c@forums-2-dub>
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.21/32.243
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: joneilpc.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 25 Aug 2003 14:52:49 -0700, joneilpc.sybase.com
Lines: 44
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 25 Aug 2003 14:50:47 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 25 Aug 2003 14:52:04 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1061848324 10.22.108.75 (25 Aug 2003 14:52:04 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 25 Aug 2003 14:52:04 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient:139
Article PK: 424332

Not very easily, the EJB Client functionality I'm referring to is a
new feature of PowerBuilder 9.

On 25 Aug 2003 13:28:33 -0700, "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho"

<peoft@terra.com.br> wrote:

>Hi, Jim.
>
>It is possible in PB 8.0.3 Build 9950?
>
>
>"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
>news:3f465520.17976538@forums.sybase.com...
>> You will get a proxy for Collection when you generate the EJB proxies
>> in PowerBuilder. Use that as you would a Collection class in Java.
>> If you need to access the actual class, take a look at the methods on
>> the JavaVM include getActualClass, DynamicCast, etc.
>>
>> On 22 Aug 2003 06:28:41 -0700, "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho"
>> <peoft@terra.com.br> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi, all.
>> >
>> >Somebody knows how can I manipulate or access "collections java" in PB
>(EJB
>> >Client)?
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance.
>> >
>> >Paulo Eduardo.
>> >
>> >
>>
>> Jim O'Neil
>> Principal Technical Support Engineer
>> Sybase, Inc.
>> Concord, MA
>
>

Jim O'Neil
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Sybase, Inc.
Concord, MA


Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho Posted on 2003-08-26 11:48:42.0Z
From: "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho" <peoft@terra.com.br>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient
References: <3f461a89@forums-1-dub> <3f465520.17976538@forums.sybase.com> <3f4a719c@forums-2-dub> <3f4a8480.34593172@forums.sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Collections Java in PB
Lines: 58
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
NNTP-Posting-Host: 200-102-085-013.nhoce7002.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 200-102-085-013.nhoce7002.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br
Message-ID: <3f4b491a@forums-1-dub>
Date: 26 Aug 2003 04:48:42 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1061898522 200.102.85.13 (26 Aug 2003 04:48:42 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 26 Aug 2003 04:48:42 -0700, 200-102-085-013.nhoce7002.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient:140
Article PK: 424334

Jim,

I was question you about this, because we are using this version of PB. When
PB proxy EJB, make the return of functions in Java with collection how Blob.
Is it possible use this return? Do you have some examples of PB 8 that
access EJB?

Thanks in advance.

Paulo Eduardo.

"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:3f4a8480.34593172@forums.sybase.com...
> Not very easily, the EJB Client functionality I'm referring to is a
> new feature of PowerBuilder 9.
>
> On 25 Aug 2003 13:28:33 -0700, "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho"
> <peoft@terra.com.br> wrote:
>
> >Hi, Jim.
> >
> >It is possible in PB 8.0.3 Build 9950?
> >
> >
> >"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
> >news:3f465520.17976538@forums.sybase.com...
> >> You will get a proxy for Collection when you generate the EJB proxies
> >> in PowerBuilder. Use that as you would a Collection class in Java.
> >> If you need to access the actual class, take a look at the methods on
> >> the JavaVM include getActualClass, DynamicCast, etc.
> >>
> >> On 22 Aug 2003 06:28:41 -0700, "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho"
> >> <peoft@terra.com.br> wrote:
> >>
> >> >Hi, all.
> >> >
> >> >Somebody knows how can I manipulate or access "collections java" in PB
> >(EJB
> >> >Client)?
> >> >
> >> >Thanks in advance.
> >> >
> >> >Paulo Eduardo.
> >> >
> >> >
> >>
> >> Jim O'Neil
> >> Principal Technical Support Engineer
> >> Sybase, Inc.
> >> Concord, MA
> >
> >
>
> Jim O'Neil
> Principal Technical Support Engineer
> Sybase, Inc.
> Concord, MA


Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho Posted on 2003-08-26 11:48:43.0Z
From: "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho" <peoft@terra.com.br>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient
References: <3f461a89@forums-1-dub> <3f465520.17976538@forums.sybase.com> <3f4a719c@forums-2-dub> <3f4a8480.34593172@forums.sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Collections Java in PB
Lines: 59
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
NNTP-Posting-Host: 200-102-085-013.nhoce7002.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 200-102-085-013.nhoce7002.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br
Message-ID: <3f4b491b@forums-1-dub>
Date: 26 Aug 2003 04:48:43 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1061898523 200.102.85.13 (26 Aug 2003 04:48:43 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 26 Aug 2003 04:48:43 -0700, 200-102-085-013.nhoce7002.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient:141
Article PK: 424335

Jim,
I was questioned you about this, because we are using PB 8. When instantiate
EJB in PB, functions or methods that return collection Java, in PB return
blob. Do you have some examples in PB access EJB?

Thanks in advance.

Paulo Eduardo.

"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:3f4a8480.34593172@forums.sybase.com...
> Not very easily, the EJB Client functionality I'm referring to is a
> new feature of PowerBuilder 9.
>
> On 25 Aug 2003 13:28:33 -0700, "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho"
> <peoft@terra.com.br> wrote:
>
> >Hi, Jim.
> >
> >It is possible in PB 8.0.3 Build 9950?
> >
> >
> >"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
> >news:3f465520.17976538@forums.sybase.com...
> >> You will get a proxy for Collection when you generate the EJB proxies
> >> in PowerBuilder. Use that as you would a Collection class in Java.
> >> If you need to access the actual class, take a look at the methods on
> >> the JavaVM include getActualClass, DynamicCast, etc.
> >>
> >> On 22 Aug 2003 06:28:41 -0700, "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho"
> >> <peoft@terra.com.br> wrote:
> >>
> >> >Hi, all.
> >> >
> >> >Somebody knows how can I manipulate or access "collections java" in PB
> >(EJB
> >> >Client)?
> >> >
> >> >Thanks in advance.
> >> >
> >> >Paulo Eduardo.
> >> >
> >> >
> >>
> >> Jim O'Neil
> >> Principal Technical Support Engineer
> >> Sybase, Inc.
> >> Concord, MA
> >
> >
>
> Jim O'Neil
> Principal Technical Support Engineer
> Sybase, Inc.
> Concord, MA


Jim O'Neil [Sybase] Posted on 2003-08-26 13:25:14.0Z
From: joneil@sybase.com (Jim O'Neil [Sybase])
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient
Subject: Re: Collections Java in PB
Organization: Sybase Technical Support
Reply-To: joneil_REMOVETHISPART@sybase.com
Message-ID: <3f4b5ef0.2477702@forums.sybase.com>
References: <3f461a89@forums-1-dub> <3f465520.17976538@forums.sybase.com> <3f4a719c@forums-2-dub> <3f4a8480.34593172@forums.sybase.com> <3f4b491b@forums-1-dub>
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.21/32.243
NNTP-Posting-Host: joneilpc.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: joneilpc.sybase.com
Date: 26 Aug 2003 06:25:14 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1061904314 204.167.42.59 (26 Aug 2003 06:25:14 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 26 Aug 2003 06:25:14 -0700, joneilpc.sybase.com
Lines: 78
X-Authenticated-User: TeamPS
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient:142
Article PK: 424336

Right, with PB8, the results are marshalled via CORBA/IIOP so your
Java classes get mushed into blobs (or structures if they are final
classes) and they are of little use on the client side.

For the type of work it appears you are trying to do, you really
should consider upgrading to PowerBuilder 9. With PB9, you will
generate proxies for all of the Java classes and interfaces involved
in the method calls and PB9 actually hosts a Java VM on the client, so
you get the full functionality just as if you were using a Java client
application.

On 26 Aug 2003 04:48:43 -0700, "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho"

<peoft@terra.com.br> wrote:

>Jim,
>I was questioned you about this, because we are using PB 8. When instantiate
>EJB in PB, functions or methods that return collection Java, in PB return
>blob. Do you have some examples in PB access EJB?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Paulo Eduardo.
>
>
>
>"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
>news:3f4a8480.34593172@forums.sybase.com...
>> Not very easily, the EJB Client functionality I'm referring to is a
>> new feature of PowerBuilder 9.
>>
>> On 25 Aug 2003 13:28:33 -0700, "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho"
>> <peoft@terra.com.br> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi, Jim.
>> >
>> >It is possible in PB 8.0.3 Build 9950?
>> >
>> >
>> >"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
>> >news:3f465520.17976538@forums.sybase.com...
>> >> You will get a proxy for Collection when you generate the EJB proxies
>> >> in PowerBuilder. Use that as you would a Collection class in Java.
>> >> If you need to access the actual class, take a look at the methods on
>> >> the JavaVM include getActualClass, DynamicCast, etc.
>> >>
>> >> On 22 Aug 2003 06:28:41 -0700, "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho"
>> >> <peoft@terra.com.br> wrote:
>> >>
>> >> >Hi, all.
>> >> >
>> >> >Somebody knows how can I manipulate or access "collections java" in PB
>> >(EJB
>> >> >Client)?
>> >> >
>> >> >Thanks in advance.
>> >> >
>> >> >Paulo Eduardo.
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >>
>> >> Jim O'Neil
>> >> Principal Technical Support Engineer
>> >> Sybase, Inc.
>> >> Concord, MA
>> >
>> >
>>
>> Jim O'Neil
>> Principal Technical Support Engineer
>> Sybase, Inc.
>> Concord, MA
>
>

Jim O'Neil
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Sybase, Inc.
Concord, MA


Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho Posted on 2003-08-26 14:00:06.0Z
From: "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho" <peoft@terra.com.br>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient
References: <3f461a89@forums-1-dub> <3f465520.17976538@forums.sybase.com> <3f4a719c@forums-2-dub> <3f4a8480.34593172@forums.sybase.com> <3f4b491b@forums-1-dub> <3f4b5ef0.2477702@forums.sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Collections Java in PB
Lines: 97
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 200-102-085-013.nhoce7002.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br
Message-ID: <3f4b6813$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 26 Aug 2003 07:00:51 -0700, 200-102-085-013.nhoce7002.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 26 Aug 2003 06:58:43 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 26 Aug 2003 07:00:06 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1061906406 10.22.108.75 (26 Aug 2003 07:00:06 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 26 Aug 2003 07:00:06 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient:143
Article PK: 424337

Jim,
It is possible to send us one example of PB 9 that access EJB and receive
one collection. We have one license of Powerbuilder 9 at enterprise. We have
tried to use example of PB for connect to Easerver, but it has produced
errors.

Thanks in advance.

Paulo Eduardo.

"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:3f4b5ef0.2477702@forums.sybase.com...
> Right, with PB8, the results are marshalled via CORBA/IIOP so your
> Java classes get mushed into blobs (or structures if they are final
> classes) and they are of little use on the client side.
>
> For the type of work it appears you are trying to do, you really
> should consider upgrading to PowerBuilder 9. With PB9, you will
> generate proxies for all of the Java classes and interfaces involved
> in the method calls and PB9 actually hosts a Java VM on the client, so
> you get the full functionality just as if you were using a Java client
> application.
>
> On 26 Aug 2003 04:48:43 -0700, "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho"
> <peoft@terra.com.br> wrote:
>
> >Jim,
> >I was questioned you about this, because we are using PB 8. When
instantiate
> >EJB in PB, functions or methods that return collection Java, in PB return
> >blob. Do you have some examples in PB access EJB?
> >
> >Thanks in advance.
> >
> >Paulo Eduardo.
> >
> >
> >
> >"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
> >news:3f4a8480.34593172@forums.sybase.com...
> >> Not very easily, the EJB Client functionality I'm referring to is a
> >> new feature of PowerBuilder 9.
> >>
> >> On 25 Aug 2003 13:28:33 -0700, "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho"
> >> <peoft@terra.com.br> wrote:
> >>
> >> >Hi, Jim.
> >> >
> >> >It is possible in PB 8.0.3 Build 9950?
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
> >> >news:3f465520.17976538@forums.sybase.com...
> >> >> You will get a proxy for Collection when you generate the EJB
proxies
> >> >> in PowerBuilder. Use that as you would a Collection class in Java.
> >> >> If you need to access the actual class, take a look at the methods
on
> >> >> the JavaVM include getActualClass, DynamicCast, etc.
> >> >>
> >> >> On 22 Aug 2003 06:28:41 -0700, "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho"
> >> >> <peoft@terra.com.br> wrote:
> >> >>
> >> >> >Hi, all.
> >> >> >
> >> >> >Somebody knows how can I manipulate or access "collections java" in
PB
> >> >(EJB
> >> >> >Client)?
> >> >> >
> >> >> >Thanks in advance.
> >> >> >
> >> >> >Paulo Eduardo.
> >> >> >
> >> >> >
> >> >>
> >> >> Jim O'Neil
> >> >> Principal Technical Support Engineer
> >> >> Sybase, Inc.
> >> >> Concord, MA
> >> >
> >> >
> >>
> >> Jim O'Neil
> >> Principal Technical Support Engineer
> >> Sybase, Inc.
> >> Concord, MA
> >
> >
>
> Jim O'Neil
> Principal Technical Support Engineer
> Sybase, Inc.
> Concord, MA


Jim O'Neil [Sybase] Posted on 2003-08-27 15:15:13.0Z
From: joneil@sybase.com (Jim O'Neil [Sybase])
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient
Subject: Re: Collections Java in PB
Organization: Sybase Technical Support
Reply-To: joneil_REMOVETHISPART@sybase.com
Message-ID: <3f4cc9e5.3978701@forums.sybase.com>
References: <3f461a89@forums-1-dub> <3f465520.17976538@forums.sybase.com> <3f4a719c@forums-2-dub> <3f4a8480.34593172@forums.sybase.com> <3f4b491b@forums-1-dub> <3f4b5ef0.2477702@forums.sybase.com> <3f4b6813$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.21/32.243
NNTP-Posting-Host: joneilpc.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: joneilpc.sybase.com
Date: 27 Aug 2003 08:15:13 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1061997313 204.167.42.59 (27 Aug 2003 08:15:13 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 27 Aug 2003 08:15:13 -0700, joneilpc.sybase.com
Lines: 147
X-Authenticated-User: TeamPS
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient:144
Article PK: 424338

<plug mode="shameless">
Here's a code sample from the upcoming PowerBuilder 9 Internet and
Distributed Application Development book (http://www.pb9books.com)
</plug>

The actual bean being used is one of the samples shipped with
WebLogic.

AccountHome px_AccountHome
Account px_Account
Collection px_AccountList
Iterator px_AccountIterator
long ll_row

TRY
px_AccountHome = g_EJBConn.Lookup("AccountHome", &
"ejb20-beanManaged-AccountHome", &
"examples.ejb20.basic.beanManaged.AccountHome")
px_AccountList = px_AccountHome.findBigAccounts(ad_balance)
px_AccountIterator = px_AccountList.iterator()

ads_accounts.reset()
DO WHILE px_AccountIterator.hasNext()
px_Account = px_AccountIterator.next_j()
ll_row = ads_accounts.insertRow(0)
ads_accounts.object.account_number[ll_row] =
px_Account.getPrimaryKey()
ads_accounts.object.account_balance[ll_row] =
px_Account.balance()
LOOP
CATCH (FinderException onfe)
// handle problem in the finder method
CATCH (NamingException ne)
// handle EJB not being found
CATCH (Throwable t)
// handle other exception or runtime error
END TRY





On 26 Aug 2003 07:00:06 -0700, "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho"

<peoft@terra.com.br> wrote:

>Jim,
>It is possible to send us one example of PB 9 that access EJB and receive
>one collection. We have one license of Powerbuilder 9 at enterprise. We have
>tried to use example of PB for connect to Easerver, but it has produced
>errors.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Paulo Eduardo.
>
>
>"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
>news:3f4b5ef0.2477702@forums.sybase.com...
>> Right, with PB8, the results are marshalled via CORBA/IIOP so your
>> Java classes get mushed into blobs (or structures if they are final
>> classes) and they are of little use on the client side.
>>
>> For the type of work it appears you are trying to do, you really
>> should consider upgrading to PowerBuilder 9. With PB9, you will
>> generate proxies for all of the Java classes and interfaces involved
>> in the method calls and PB9 actually hosts a Java VM on the client, so
>> you get the full functionality just as if you were using a Java client
>> application.
>>
>> On 26 Aug 2003 04:48:43 -0700, "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho"
>> <peoft@terra.com.br> wrote:
>>
>> >Jim,
>> >I was questioned you about this, because we are using PB 8. When
>instantiate
>> >EJB in PB, functions or methods that return collection Java, in PB return
>> >blob. Do you have some examples in PB access EJB?
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance.
>> >
>> >Paulo Eduardo.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
>> >news:3f4a8480.34593172@forums.sybase.com...
>> >> Not very easily, the EJB Client functionality I'm referring to is a
>> >> new feature of PowerBuilder 9.
>> >>
>> >> On 25 Aug 2003 13:28:33 -0700, "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho"
>> >> <peoft@terra.com.br> wrote:
>> >>
>> >> >Hi, Jim.
>> >> >
>> >> >It is possible in PB 8.0.3 Build 9950?
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> >"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
>> >> >news:3f465520.17976538@forums.sybase.com...
>> >> >> You will get a proxy for Collection when you generate the EJB
>proxies
>> >> >> in PowerBuilder. Use that as you would a Collection class in Java.
>> >> >> If you need to access the actual class, take a look at the methods
>on
>> >> >> the JavaVM include getActualClass, DynamicCast, etc.
>> >> >>
>> >> >> On 22 Aug 2003 06:28:41 -0700, "Paulo Eduardo Ostermann Filho"
>> >> >> <peoft@terra.com.br> wrote:
>> >> >>
>> >> >> >Hi, all.
>> >> >> >
>> >> >> >Somebody knows how can I manipulate or access "collections java" in
>PB
>> >> >(EJB
>> >> >> >Client)?
>> >> >> >
>> >> >> >Thanks in advance.
>> >> >> >
>> >> >> >Paulo Eduardo.
>> >> >> >
>> >> >> >
>> >> >>
>> >> >> Jim O'Neil
>> >> >> Principal Technical Support Engineer
>> >> >> Sybase, Inc.
>> >> >> Concord, MA
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >>
>> >> Jim O'Neil
>> >> Principal Technical Support Engineer
>> >> Sybase, Inc.
>> >> Concord, MA
>> >
>> >
>>
>> Jim O'Neil
>> Principal Technical Support Engineer
>> Sybase, Inc.
>> Concord, MA
>
>

Jim O'Neil
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Sybase, Inc.
Concord, MA