Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Working offline...

5 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2003-09-29 13:36:29.0Z
balamuthaiya Posted on 2003-09-12 01:09:13.0Z
Sender: 47ec.3f6118ba.1804289383@sybase.com
From: balamuthaiya
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Working offline...
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1s
Message-ID: <3f611cb9.47f9.846930886@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 11 Sep 2003 18:09:13 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1063328953 10.22.241.41 (11 Sep 2003 18:09:13 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 11 Sep 2003 18:09:13 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 17
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:1740
Article PK: 3967

Hi,
Using Mobilink I want to sync data. My application is web
application ( Servlets & JSPs ) . So whenever i have
internet connection I want to work with colsolidated
database (Oracle) directly. When I go offline I want to work
with my local database and when I get internet connection I
want to sync data back to consolidated database.

Is this possible by Mobilink? If yes,
1. will I get local database & web server when I deploy the
mobile application in the client machine?
2. Do I have to use Ultralite or DBMLSYNC?

Note: This is possible in Oracle Lite.

Thanks
Balamuthaiya


Greg Fenton Posted on 2003-09-12 16:08:07.0Z
From: Greg Fenton <greg.fenton_NOSPAM_@ianywhere.com>
Organization: iAnywhere Solutions Inc.
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4; MultiZilla v1.4.0.4A) Gecko/20030624
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Working offline...
References: <3f611cb9.47f9.846930886@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <3f611cb9.47f9.846930886@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: gfenton-xp.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: gfenton-xp.sybase.com
Message-ID: <3f61ef67$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 12 Sep 2003 09:08:07 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1063382887 172.31.140.253 (12 Sep 2003 09:08:07 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 12 Sep 2003 09:08:07 -0700, gfenton-xp.sybase.com
Lines: 38
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:1743
Article PK: 3966


balamuthaiya wrote:
>
> Is this possible by Mobilink?

Yes. MobiLink is the synchronization server. It is designed to provide
just that functionality.

> 1. will I get local database & web server when I deploy the
> mobile application in the client machine?

You would deploy the mobile application to use ASA (most likely) or
UltraLite. You have not mentioned what platform the mobile application
will run on. Assuming you mean a laptop running a "desktop" OS, then
ASA is likely the right platform.

ASA 9.0 has built-in web services. These may or may not meet your needs
directly. You will need to describe the functionality of the web
application.

If you already have the application written using servlets and JSPs,
then you will likely need to have a servlet engine (e.g. Jakarta's
Tomcat) on the remote machine.

> 2. Do I have to use Ultralite or DBMLSYNC?

DBMLSync is the synchronization client for ASA. It is used to
synchronize data with the MobiLink server.

Hope this helps,
greg.fenton
--
Greg Fenton
Consultant, Solution Services, iAnywhere Solutions
--------
Visit the iAnywhere Solutions Developer Community
Whitepapers, TechDocs, Downloads
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/


balamuthaiya Posted on 2003-09-12 20:20:43.0Z
Sender: a4d.3f6224f5.1804289383@sybase.com
From: balamuthaiya
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Working offline...
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1s
Message-ID: <3f622b08.a81.846930886@sybase.com>
References: <3f611cb9.47f9.846930886@sybase.com><3f61ef67$1@forums-1-dub>
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.42
X-Original-Trace: 12 Sep 2003 13:22:32 -0700, 10.22.241.42
Lines: 64
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 12 Sep 2003 13:17:40 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 12 Sep 2003 13:20:43 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1063398043 10.22.108.75 (12 Sep 2003 13:20:43 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 12 Sep 2003 13:20:43 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:1747
Article PK: 3972

Thanks for your response. Here is my requirement.

We have J2EE application in which Tomcat is the web server
and
oracle is the database. We want to implement some portion of
the application in Tablet PC (Windows XP or CE) and Pocket
PC( windows CE). User will work online or offline. (
Remember it is a Thin client application for all other users
).

I guess to work offline we need Web Server and database.

So if I use Ultralite I think i will get database some sort
of class files.
1. How will I get web server to work offline?
2. How do I deploy my application & database ( JSPs &
Servlets )
in Tablet PC and Pocket PC?
3. Which Ultralite model I should use? ( DBMLSYNC is for
Smart
application. Is it correct? )

Thanks
Balamuthaiya

> balamuthaiya wrote:
> >
> > Is this possible by Mobilink?
>
> Yes. MobiLink is the synchronization server. It is
> designed to provide just that functionality.
>
> > 1. will I get local database & web server when I deploy
> > the mobile application in the client machine?
>
> You would deploy the mobile application to use ASA (most
> likely) or UltraLite. You have not mentioned what
> platform the mobile application will run on. Assuming
> you mean a laptop running a "desktop" OS, then ASA is
> likely the right platform.
>
> ASA 9.0 has built-in web services. These may or may not
> meet your needs directly. You will need to describe the
> functionality of the web application.
>
> If you already have the application written using servlets
> and JSPs, then you will likely need to have a servlet
> engine (e.g. Jakarta's Tomcat) on the remote machine.
>
> > 2. Do I have to use Ultralite or DBMLSYNC?
>
> DBMLSync is the synchronization client for ASA. It is
> used to synchronize data with the MobiLink server.
>
> Hope this helps,
> greg.fenton
> --
> Greg Fenton
> Consultant, Solution Services, iAnywhere Solutions
> --------
> Visit the iAnywhere Solutions Developer Community
> Whitepapers, TechDocs, Downloads
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/
>


Greg Fenton Posted on 2003-09-15 20:00:25.0Z
From: Greg Fenton <greg.fenton_NOSPAM_@ianywhere.com>
Organization: iAnywhere Solutions Inc.
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4; MultiZilla v1.4.0.4A) Gecko/20030624
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Working offline...
References: <3f611cb9.47f9.846930886@sybase.com><3f61ef67$1@forums-1-dub> <3f622b08.a81.846930886@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <3f622b08.a81.846930886@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: gfenton-xp.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: gfenton-xp.sybase.com
Message-ID: <3f661a59$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 15 Sep 2003 13:00:25 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1063656025 172.31.140.253 (15 Sep 2003 13:00:25 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 15 Sep 2003 13:00:25 -0700, gfenton-xp.sybase.com
Lines: 37
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:1752
Article PK: 4014


balamuthaiya wrote:
>
> So if I use Ultralite I think i will get database some sort
> of class files.
> 1. How will I get web server to work offline?

You will need to have a webserver on the handheld if your application is
"browser-based".

> 2. How do I deploy my application & database ( JSPs &
> Servlets ) in Tablet PC and Pocket PC?

This will depend entirely on the decision you make for question #1.

> 3. Which Ultralite model I should use? ( DBMLSYNC is for
> Smart
> application. Is it correct? )
>

DBMLSync is the synchronization client for ASA databases only.
UltraLite has its own synchronization function built into the UltraLite
libraries.


It seems to me that the situation you have described is not a "thin
client" solution. You application depends on having a J2EE environment
available to it when it is "offline".

greg.fenton
--
Greg Fenton
Consultant, Solution Services, iAnywhere Solutions
--------
Visit the iAnywhere Solutions Developer Community
Whitepapers, TechDocs, Downloads
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/


Shuchit Velkar Posted on 2003-09-29 13:36:29.0Z
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Working offline...
From: Shuchit Velkar <me@privacy.net>
References: <3f622b08.a81.846930886@sybase.com>
Message-ID: <Xns940560C25C8C5svelkarNOsybaseSPAMc@192.138.151.106>
User-Agent: Xnews/5.04.25
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: cpe0080c6ee7d81-cm024340006571.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
X-Original-Trace: 29 Sep 2003 06:39:17 -0700, cpe0080c6ee7d81-cm024340006571.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
Lines: 49
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 29 Sep 2003 06:31:48 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 29 Sep 2003 06:36:29 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1064842589 10.22.108.75 (29 Sep 2003 06:36:29 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 29 Sep 2003 06:36:29 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:1811
Article PK: 17379


balamuthaiya wrote in news:3f622b08.a81.846930886@sybase.com:

> Thanks for your response. Here is my requirement.
>
> We have J2EE application in which Tomcat is the web server
> and
> oracle is the database. We want to implement some portion of
> the application in Tablet PC (Windows XP or CE) and Pocket
> PC( windows CE). User will work online or offline. (
> Remember it is a Thin client application for all other users
> ).
>
> I guess to work offline we need Web Server and database.
>
> So if I use Ultralite I think i will get database some sort
> of class files.
> 1. How will I get web server to work offline?
> 2. How do I deploy my application & database ( JSPs &
> Servlets )
> in Tablet PC and Pocket PC?
> 3. Which Ultralite model I should use? ( DBMLSYNC is for
> Smart
> application. Is it correct? )
>
> Thanks
> Balamuthaiya
>

In my experience, getting Tomcat to work on a Pocket PC was a pain. At
that time (about a year back) the JVMs available only supported the
Personal Java standard. This has the same things as jdk 1.1.8 and none of
the features from the more recent releases. This means you had to use a
version of Tomcat that could work in jdk 1.1.8 environment. This also
meant the version of Tomcat we ended up using did not support the latest
standard for servlets and JSPs. Nevertheless, we did manage to get it
working so this approach does work if you are ambitious enough, I am not
sure whether it is practical though.

One other approach you should consider is using AvantGo. Your web pages
would be served by your existing webserver and the pages would be cached
by the Avantgo Browser for offline viewing. Users can submit forms, etc.
in an offline mode and when device goes online these would be returned to
your webserver. For more information see
http://www.ianywhere.com/products/mbusiness_server.html

--
Shuchit Velkar
Professional Services
iAnywhere Solutions