Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Pocket PB - Connection question.

6 posts in Pocket PowerBuilder Last posting was on 2003-09-16 13:30:13.0Z
Dave Pylatuk Posted on 2003-09-12 14:24:31.0Z
From: "Dave Pylatuk" <davep@centurysystems.net>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder
Subject: Pocket PB - Connection question.
Lines: 30
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4522.1200
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4522.1200
NNTP-Posting-Host: 216.209.35.102
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 216.209.35.102
Message-ID: <3f61d71f@forums-1-dub>
Date: 12 Sep 2003 07:24:31 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1063376671 216.209.35.102 (12 Sep 2003 07:24:31 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 12 Sep 2003 07:24:31 -0700, 216.209.35.102
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder:450
Article PK: 266985

We are attempting to connect to an ASA 8 server on a desktop
PC using Pocket Powerbuilder. I have several questions regarding this.

We can establish a connection to the desktop database from the Pocket
PC and read data from it. The problem is, that on the Pocket PC we
must specify the ip address of the desktop PC that the Pocket PC is
attached to. We do this by specifying 'host=123.456.789.0'

However we do not want to do this since the pocket PC device may
connect to desktop databases on many different PC, all with different
IP numbers. Is there an easy solution to this ?

Here is our dsn that we are putting on the pocket PC to connect to
the desktop PC. We get prompted with an odbc connection window
and must fill in 'host=.......' before a connection can be made.

[ODBC]
UID=dba
pwd=sql
CommLinks=TCPIP{}
EngineName=central_db
DatabaseName=dhcentral

PS. I have many years dev experience with Powerbuilder, just started with
PocketPB
this week.

Thanks in advance.


Roland Smith Posted on 2003-09-12 15:38:41.0Z
From: "Roland Smith" <rsmith@cvps.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder
References: <3f61d71f@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Pocket PB - Connection question.
Lines: 52
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
NNTP-Posting-Host: 170.46.129.120
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 170.46.129.120
Message-ID: <3f61e881$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 12 Sep 2003 08:38:41 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1063381121 170.46.129.120 (12 Sep 2003 08:38:41 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 12 Sep 2003 08:38:41 -0700, 170.46.129.120
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder:452
Article PK: 266987

Dave,

I use this to connect to my desktop:

[ODBC]
EngineName=asademo8
DatabaseName=asademo
CommLinks=tcpip(DoBroadcast=DIRECT;Host=CVXP4293)

The userid/password are specified in the ConnectString. If there where a
way to determine the host name via an API call then you could update the
.dsn file prior to connecting.

Roland
--
Topwiz Software - Home of PBSearch
http://www.topwizprogramming.com/

"Dave Pylatuk" <davep@centurysystems.net> wrote in message
news:3f61d71f@forums-1-dub...
> We are attempting to connect to an ASA 8 server on a desktop
> PC using Pocket Powerbuilder. I have several questions regarding this.
>
> We can establish a connection to the desktop database from the Pocket
> PC and read data from it. The problem is, that on the Pocket PC we
> must specify the ip address of the desktop PC that the Pocket PC is
> attached to. We do this by specifying 'host=123.456.789.0'
>
> However we do not want to do this since the pocket PC device may
> connect to desktop databases on many different PC, all with different
> IP numbers. Is there an easy solution to this ?
>
> Here is our dsn that we are putting on the pocket PC to connect to
> the desktop PC. We get prompted with an odbc connection window
> and must fill in 'host=.......' before a connection can be made.
>
> [ODBC]
> UID=dba
> pwd=sql
> CommLinks=TCPIP{}
> EngineName=central_db
> DatabaseName=dhcentral
>
> PS. I have many years dev experience with Powerbuilder, just started with
> PocketPB
> this week.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
>


Alex Reif Posted on 2003-09-12 17:31:46.0Z
From: "Alex Reif" <areif_nospam@sybase.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder
References: <3f61d71f@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Pocket PB - Connection question.
Lines: 44
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: areif-xp.sybase.com
Message-ID: <3f62036c$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 12 Sep 2003 10:33:32 -0700, areif-xp.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 12 Sep 2003 10:28:41 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 12 Sep 2003 10:31:46 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1063387906 10.22.108.75 (12 Sep 2003 10:31:46 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 12 Sep 2003 10:31:46 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder:453
Article PK: 266988

There is a "magic" host name on Windows CE that the device resolves to the
desktop PC you're connected to by ActiveSync: ppp_peer. I believe that, in
most cases, ppp_peer resolves to 192.168.55.101.

Try setting the COMMLINKS line to:

CommLinks=TCPIP{host=ppp_peer}

- Alex.

"Dave Pylatuk" <davep@centurysystems.net> wrote in message
news:3f61d71f@forums-1-dub...
> We are attempting to connect to an ASA 8 server on a desktop
> PC using Pocket Powerbuilder. I have several questions regarding this.
>
> We can establish a connection to the desktop database from the Pocket
> PC and read data from it. The problem is, that on the Pocket PC we
> must specify the ip address of the desktop PC that the Pocket PC is
> attached to. We do this by specifying 'host=123.456.789.0'
>
> However we do not want to do this since the pocket PC device may
> connect to desktop databases on many different PC, all with different
> IP numbers. Is there an easy solution to this ?
>
> Here is our dsn that we are putting on the pocket PC to connect to
> the desktop PC. We get prompted with an odbc connection window
> and must fill in 'host=.......' before a connection can be made.
>
> [ODBC]
> UID=dba
> pwd=sql
> CommLinks=TCPIP{}
> EngineName=central_db
> DatabaseName=dhcentral
>
> PS. I have many years dev experience with Powerbuilder, just started with
> PocketPB
> this week.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
>


Dave Pylatuk Posted on 2003-09-15 17:10:13.0Z
From: "Dave Pylatuk" <davep@centurysystems.net>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder
References: <3f61d71f@forums-1-dub> <3f62036c$1@forums-2-dub>
Subject: Re: Pocket PB - Connection question.
Lines: 51
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4522.1200
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4522.1200
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 216.209.35.102
Message-ID: <3f65f2ea@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 15 Sep 2003 10:12:10 -0700, 216.209.35.102
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 15 Sep 2003 10:06:52 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 15 Sep 2003 10:10:13 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1063645813 10.22.108.75 (15 Sep 2003 10:10:13 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 15 Sep 2003 10:10:13 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder:466
Article PK: 266998

That did it, thanks.

"Alex Reif" <areif_nospam@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:3f62036c$1@forums-2-dub...
> There is a "magic" host name on Windows CE that the device resolves to the
> desktop PC you're connected to by ActiveSync: ppp_peer. I believe that,
in
> most cases, ppp_peer resolves to 192.168.55.101.
>
> Try setting the COMMLINKS line to:
>
> CommLinks=TCPIP{host=ppp_peer}
>
> - Alex.
>
> "Dave Pylatuk" <davep@centurysystems.net> wrote in message
> news:3f61d71f@forums-1-dub...
> > We are attempting to connect to an ASA 8 server on a desktop
> > PC using Pocket Powerbuilder. I have several questions regarding this.
> >
> > We can establish a connection to the desktop database from the Pocket
> > PC and read data from it. The problem is, that on the Pocket PC we
> > must specify the ip address of the desktop PC that the Pocket PC is
> > attached to. We do this by specifying 'host=123.456.789.0'
> >
> > However we do not want to do this since the pocket PC device may
> > connect to desktop databases on many different PC, all with different
> > IP numbers. Is there an easy solution to this ?
> >
> > Here is our dsn that we are putting on the pocket PC to connect to
> > the desktop PC. We get prompted with an odbc connection window
> > and must fill in 'host=.......' before a connection can be made.
> >
> > [ODBC]
> > UID=dba
> > pwd=sql
> > CommLinks=TCPIP{}
> > EngineName=central_db
> > DatabaseName=dhcentral
> >
> > PS. I have many years dev experience with Powerbuilder, just started
with
> > PocketPB
> > this week.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> >
>
>


Jun Posted on 2003-09-16 13:10:39.0Z
From: "Jun" <junredillas@wvdhhr.org>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder
Organization: 129.71.238.253
References: <3f61d71f@forums-1-dub> <3f62036c$1@forums-2-dub> <3f65f2ea@forums-2-dub>
X-Newsreader: AspNNTP 1.50 (Tri Hoang)
Subject: Re: Pocket PB - Connection question.
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: transinc-win02.netoptex.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: transinc-win02.netoptex.com
Message-ID: <3f670bcf@forums-1-dub>
Date: 16 Sep 2003 06:10:39 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1063717839 206.169.167.22 (16 Sep 2003 06:10:39 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 16 Sep 2003 06:10:39 -0700, transinc-win02.netoptex.com
Lines: 58
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder:470
Article PK: 267005

Is it also possible to connect to Oracle database (using desktop ODBC or native
client) from Pocket PC and read data from it? I think if this is possible we
could eliminate the use of Mobilink server. Thanks.

On 15 Sep 2003 10:10:13 -0700,
in sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder

Dave Pylatuk <davep@centurysystems.net> wrote:
>That did it, thanks.
>"Alex Reif" <areif_nospam@sybase.com> wrote in message
>news:3f62036c$1@forums-2-dub...
>> There is a "magic" host name on Windows CE that the device resolves to the
>> desktop PC you're connected to by ActiveSync: ppp_peer. I believe that,
>in
>> most cases, ppp_peer resolves to 192.168.55.101.
>>
>> Try setting the COMMLINKS line to:
>>
>> CommLinks=TCPIP{host=ppp_peer}
>>
>> - Alex.
>>
>> "Dave Pylatuk" <davep@centurysystems.net> wrote in message
>> news:3f61d71f@forums-1-dub...
>> > We are attempting to connect to an ASA 8 server on a desktop
>> > PC using Pocket Powerbuilder. I have several questions regarding this.
>> >
>> > We can establish a connection to the desktop database from the Pocket
>> > PC and read data from it. The problem is, that on the Pocket PC we
>> > must specify the ip address of the desktop PC that the Pocket PC is
>> > attached to. We do this by specifying 'host=123.456.789.0'
>> >
>> > However we do not want to do this since the pocket PC device may
>> > connect to desktop databases on many different PC, all with different
>> > IP numbers. Is there an easy solution to this ?
>> >
>> > Here is our dsn that we are putting on the pocket PC to connect to
>> > the desktop PC. We get prompted with an odbc connection window
>> > and must fill in 'host=.......' before a connection can be made.
>> >
>> > [ODBC]
>> > UID=dba
>> > pwd=sql
>> > CommLinks=TCPIP{}
>> > EngineName=central_db
>> > DatabaseName=dhcentral
>> >
>> > PS. I have many years dev experience with Powerbuilder, just started
>with
>> > PocketPB
>> > this week.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>
>


Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] Posted on 2003-09-16 13:30:13.0Z
From: "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder
Subject: Re: Pocket PB - Connection question.
Organization: TeamSybase
Reply-To: NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com
Message-ID: <nq3emv82g224000lqb19efsm8dcc6rb4gl@4ax.com>
References: <3f61d71f@forums-1-dub> <3f62036c$1@forums-2-dub> <3f65f2ea@forums-2-dub> <3f670bcf@forums-1-dub>
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 1.93/32.576 English (American)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: 66-214-183-11.la-cbi.charterpipeline.net
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 66-214-183-11.la-cbi.charterpipeline.net
Date: 16 Sep 2003 06:30:13 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1063719013 66.214.183.11 (16 Sep 2003 06:30:13 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 16 Sep 2003 06:30:13 -0700, 66-214-183-11.la-cbi.charterpipeline.net
Lines: 80
X-Authenticated-User: TeamPS
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder:471
Article PK: 267004

You can, but you have to go through a network ASA database. You have
the PocketPC talk directly to the network ASA database and use remote
tables and procedures in the ASA database to make the Oracle database
objects available as tables and procedures in the ASA database.

On 16 Sep 2003 06:10:39 -0700, "Jun" <junredillas@wvdhhr.org> wrote:

>Is it also possible to connect to Oracle database (using desktop ODBC or native
>client) from Pocket PC and read data from it? I think if this is possible we
>could eliminate the use of Mobilink server. Thanks.
>
>On 15 Sep 2003 10:10:13 -0700,
> in sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder
>Dave Pylatuk <davep@centurysystems.net> wrote:
>>That did it, thanks.
>>"Alex Reif" <areif_nospam@sybase.com> wrote in message
>>news:3f62036c$1@forums-2-dub...
>>> There is a "magic" host name on Windows CE that the device resolves to the
>>> desktop PC you're connected to by ActiveSync: ppp_peer. I believe that,
>>in
>>> most cases, ppp_peer resolves to 192.168.55.101.
>>>
>>> Try setting the COMMLINKS line to:
>>>
>>> CommLinks=TCPIP{host=ppp_peer}
>>>
>>> - Alex.
>>>
>>> "Dave Pylatuk" <davep@centurysystems.net> wrote in message
>>> news:3f61d71f@forums-1-dub...
>>> > We are attempting to connect to an ASA 8 server on a desktop
>>> > PC using Pocket Powerbuilder. I have several questions regarding this.
>>> >
>>> > We can establish a connection to the desktop database from the Pocket
>>> > PC and read data from it. The problem is, that on the Pocket PC we
>>> > must specify the ip address of the desktop PC that the Pocket PC is
>>> > attached to. We do this by specifying 'host=123.456.789.0'
>>> >
>>> > However we do not want to do this since the pocket PC device may
>>> > connect to desktop databases on many different PC, all with different
>>> > IP numbers. Is there an easy solution to this ?
>>> >
>>> > Here is our dsn that we are putting on the pocket PC to connect to
>>> > the desktop PC. We get prompted with an odbc connection window
>>> > and must fill in 'host=.......' before a connection can be made.
>>> >
>>> > [ODBC]
>>> > UID=dba
>>> > pwd=sql
>>> > CommLinks=TCPIP{}
>>> > EngineName=central_db
>>> > DatabaseName=dhcentral
>>> >
>>> > PS. I have many years dev experience with Powerbuilder, just started
>>with
>>> > PocketPB
>>> > this week.
>>> >
>>> > Thanks in advance.
>>> >
>>> >
>>>
>>>
>>
>>

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

Two new books on developing with PowerBuilder
http://www.pb9books.com?source=newsgroups

Need code sample? Check out CodeXchange:
http://www.codexchange.sybase.com

ISUG Enhancement Requests
http://www.isug.com/cgi-bin/ISUG2/submit_enhancement

Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - Francis of Assisi
http://www.needhim.org