Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Maximum Addressable Shared Memory in ASE 15.x on Linux 32bit platform

7 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2010-01-09 18:17:59.0Z
hiro Posted on 2010-01-05 15:57:54.0Z
From: hiro <hiroysato@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Maximum Addressable Shared Memory in ASE 15.x on Linux 32bit platform
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 07:57:54 -0800 (PST)
Organization: http://groups.google.com
Lines: 17
Message-ID: <3f68e059-90c6-4a54-a01e-0693ae3af887@e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 211.19.98.177
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
X-Trace: posting.google.com 1262707075 16614 127.0.0.1 (5 Jan 2010 15:57:55 GMT)
X-Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 15:57:55 +0000 (UTC)
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com; posting-host=211.19.98.177; posting-account=IEn8rgoAAACMLW-fH7jZGmn6B_AGW-5l
User-Agent: G2/1.0
X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_8; ja-jp) AppleWebKit/531.21.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Safari/531.21.10,gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master!newssvr.sybase.com!news-sj-1.sprintlink.net!news-peer1.sprintlink.net!nntp1.phx1.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!npeer02.iad.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!postnews.google.com!e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28825
Article PK: 78072

Dear Sybase GURU.

* Question
I would like to know "Maximum Addressable Shared Memory" in ASE 15.x
on Linux 32bit platform
(RHEL)

http://www.sybase.jp/detail?id=1026830
It seems 2.7G on Linux 32bit. Is it mean that 'max memory' upper
limit is 1024 * 1024 * 2.7 / 2 = 1415577??
I tried 'max memory',1415580. It works fine. so I would like to know
upper limit page size.

Sincerely

-- hiro


"Mark A. Parsons" <iron_horse Posted on 2010-01-06 21:39:06.0Z
From: "Mark A. Parsons" <iron_horse@no_spamola.compuserve.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 (Windows/20070221)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Maximum Addressable Shared Memory in ASE 15.x on Linux 32bit platform
References: <3f68e059-90c6-4a54-a01e-0693ae3af887@e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>
In-Reply-To: <3f68e059-90c6-4a54-a01e-0693ae3af887@e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 091223-0, 12/23/2009), Outbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4b4502fa$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 6 Jan 2010 13:39:06 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1262813946 10.22.241.152 (6 Jan 2010 13:39:06 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 6 Jan 2010 13:39:06 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 27
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28837
Article PK: 78078

I can't comment on the contents of the link you provide but fwiw ...

I've got a client running 32-bit Linux (2.6.9-55.0.12.ELhugemem) and ASE 15.0.2. shmmax is defined as 3.75GB, while the
dataserver's 'max memory' setting is 1,850,000 (2K) pages = 3,700,00 KB memory.

Assuming the OS shared memory settings are high enough, you could always try bumping up 'max memory' until you get a
message that you can't go any higher.

Alternatively, you could contact Sybase Tech Support for clarification on the info at that sybase.com link.

hiro wrote:
> Dear Sybase GURU.
>
> * Question
> I would like to know "Maximum Addressable Shared Memory" in ASE 15.x
> on Linux 32bit platform
> (RHEL)
>
> http://www.sybase.jp/detail?id=1026830
> It seems 2.7G on Linux 32bit. Is it mean that 'max memory' upper
> limit is 1024 * 1024 * 2.7 / 2 = 1415577??
> I tried 'max memory',1415580. It works fine. so I would like to know
> upper limit page size.
>
> Sincerely
>
> -- hiro


hiro Posted on 2010-01-08 06:04:08.0Z
From: hiro <hiroysato@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Maximum Addressable Shared Memory in ASE 15.x on Linux 32bit platform
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 22:04:08 -0800 (PST)
Organization: http://groups.google.com
Lines: 49
Message-ID: <816bf0b8-477b-4037-a22c-d33b25203dad@m3g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>
References: <3f68e059-90c6-4a54-a01e-0693ae3af887@e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com> <4b4502fa$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 211.19.98.177
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-Trace: posting.google.com 1262930648 3175 127.0.0.1 (8 Jan 2010 06:04:08 GMT)
X-Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 06:04:08 +0000 (UTC)
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: m3g2000yqf.googlegroups.com; posting-host=211.19.98.177; posting-account=IEn8rgoAAACMLW-fH7jZGmn6B_AGW-5l
User-Agent: G2/1.0
X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_8; ja-jp) AppleWebKit/531.21.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Safari/531.21.10,gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master!newssvr.sybase.com!news-sj-1.sprintlink.net!news-peer1.sprintlink.net!nntp1.phx1.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!newsfeed.news2me.com!nx02.iad01.newshosting.com!newshosting.com!69.16.185.21.MISMATCH!npeer03.iad.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!postnews.google.com!m3g2000yqf.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28846
Article PK: 78086

Hi Mark, Thank you for your info.

which version of linux are you using?

I'm using CentOS 5.4 (RHEL5.4), If I execute sp_configure 'max memory',
0,'2.8G'
procedure execution succeed, But statserver cause segmentation fault.

-- hiro


On 1月7日, 午前6:39, "Mark A. Parsons"

<iron_horse@no_spamola.compuserve.com> wrote:
> I can't comment on the contents of the link you provide but fwiw ...
>
> I've got a client running 32-bit Linux (2.6.9-55.0.12.ELhugemem) and ASE 15.0.2.  shmmax is defined as 3.75GB, while the
> dataserver's 'max memory' setting is 1,850,000 (2K) pages = 3,700,00 KB memory.
>
> Assuming the OS shared memory settings are high enough, you could always try bumping up 'max memory' until you get a
> message that you can't go any higher.
>
> Alternatively, you could contact Sybase Tech Support for clarification on the info at that sybase.com link.
>
>
>
> hiro wrote:
> > Dear Sybase GURU.
>
> > * Question
> >  I would like to know "Maximum Addressable Shared Memory" in ASE 15.x
> > on Linux 32bit platform
> >  (RHEL)
>
> >  http://www.sybase.jp/detail?id=1026830
> >  It seems 2.7G on Linux 32bit. Is it mean that 'max memory' upper
> > limit is 1024 * 1024 * 2.7 / 2 = 1415577??
> >  I tried 'max memory',1415580. It works fine. so I would like to know
> > upper limit page size.
>
> > Sincerely
>
> > -- hiro


"Mark A. Parsons" <iron_horse Posted on 2010-01-08 14:18:18.0Z
From: "Mark A. Parsons" <iron_horse@no_spamola.compuserve.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 (Windows/20070221)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Maximum Addressable Shared Memory in ASE 15.x on Linux 32bit platform
References: <3f68e059-90c6-4a54-a01e-0693ae3af887@e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com> <4b4502fa$1@forums-1-dub> <816bf0b8-477b-4037-a22c-d33b25203dad@m3g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>
In-Reply-To: <816bf0b8-477b-4037-a22c-d33b25203dad@m3g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 091223-0, 12/23/2009), Outbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4b473eaa$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 8 Jan 2010 06:18:18 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1262960298 10.22.241.152 (8 Jan 2010 06:18:18 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 8 Jan 2010 06:18:18 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 77
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28848
Article PK: 78097

The client has Sybase ASE (32-bit) running on a couple linux machines.

---------------

Machine #1:

This machine has a small 'scratch' dataserver which doesn't need more than 1GB of RAM. However, if I bump up memory to
3.7GB then I get the same issue as you, ie, sp_configure will take the larger number for 'max memory' but then the
dataserver generates a segmentation fault during startup.

/etc/redhat-release == CentOS release 5 (Final)

uname -a == 2.6.18-53.el5PAE #1 SMP i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

---------------

Machine #2:

This machine has a larger dataserver which benefits from the use of 3.7GB of memory.

/etc/redhat-release == CentOS release 4.6 (Final)

uname -a == 2.6.9-55.0.12.ELhugemem #1 SMP i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

---------------

I'm not the Linux admin for these machines so fwiw ...

I seem to recall having the memory limitation issue with Machine #2 when we were first setting up the machine (a loooong
time ago).

I'm almost certain we got around the memory limitation issue by installing the ELhugemem kernel.

What happens if you install the ELhugemem kernel on your machine and then bump up the ASE 'max memory' setting?

hiro wrote:
> Hi Mark, Thank you for your info.
>
> which version of linux are you using?
>
> I'm using CentOS 5.4 (RHEL5.4), If I execute sp_configure 'max memory',
> 0,'2.8G'
> procedure execution succeed, But statserver cause segmentation fault.
>
> -- hiro
>
>
> On 1月7日, 午前6:39, "Mark A. Parsons"
> <iron_horse@no_spamola.compuserve.com> wrote:
>> I can't comment on the contents of the link you provide but fwiw ...
>>
>> I've got a client running 32-bit Linux (2.6.9-55.0.12.ELhugemem) and ASE 15.0.2. shmmax is defined as 3.75GB, while the
>> dataserver's 'max memory' setting is 1,850,000 (2K) pages = 3,700,00 KB memory.
>>
>> Assuming the OS shared memory settings are high enough, you could always try bumping up 'max memory' until you get a
>> message that you can't go any higher.
>>
>> Alternatively, you could contact Sybase Tech Support for clarification on the info at that sybase.com link.
>>
>>
>>
>> hiro wrote:
>>> Dear Sybase GURU.
>>> * Question
>>> I would like to know "Maximum Addressable Shared Memory" in ASE 15.x
>>> on Linux 32bit platform
>>> (RHEL)
>>> http://www.sybase.jp/detail?id=1026830
>>> It seems 2.7G on Linux 32bit. Is it mean that 'max memory' upper
>>> limit is 1024 * 1024 * 2.7 / 2 = 1415577??
>>> I tried 'max memory',1415580. It works fine. so I would like to know
>>> upper limit page size.
>>> Sincerely
>>> -- hiro
>


hiro Posted on 2010-01-09 08:09:18.0Z
From: hiro <hiroysato@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Maximum Addressable Shared Memory in ASE 15.x on Linux 32bit platform
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 00:09:18 -0800 (PST)
Organization: http://groups.google.com
Lines: 96
Message-ID: <1bfcc201-8254-4857-aafa-ea915d17c33c@p8g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>
References: <3f68e059-90c6-4a54-a01e-0693ae3af887@e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com> <4b4502fa$1@forums-1-dub> <816bf0b8-477b-4037-a22c-d33b25203dad@m3g2000yqf.googlegroups.com> <4b473eaa$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 211.19.98.177
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-Trace: posting.google.com 1263024558 1518 127.0.0.1 (9 Jan 2010 08:09:18 GMT)
X-Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 08:09:18 +0000 (UTC)
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: p8g2000yqb.googlegroups.com; posting-host=211.19.98.177; posting-account=IEn8rgoAAACMLW-fH7jZGmn6B_AGW-5l
User-Agent: G2/1.0
X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_8; ja-jp) AppleWebKit/531.21.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Safari/531.21.10,gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master!newssvr.sybase.com!news-sj-1.sprintlink.net!news-peer1.sprintlink.net!newsfeed.yul.equant.net!novia!news-out.readnews.com!news-xxxfer.readnews.com!postnews.google.com!p8g2000yqb.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28852
Article PK: 78094

Thank you so much .
I'll try to install ELhugemem kernel.

On 1月8日, 午後11:18, "Mark A. Parsons"

<iron_horse@no_spamola.compuserve.com> wrote:
> The client has Sybase ASE (32-bit) running on a couple linux machines.
>
> ---------------
>
> Machine #1:
>
> This machine has a small 'scratch' dataserver which doesn't need more than 1GB of RAM.  However, if I bump up memory to
> 3.7GB then I get the same issue as you, ie, sp_configure will take the larger number for 'max memory' but then the
> dataserver generates a segmentation fault during startup.
>
>       /etc/redhat-release == CentOS release 5 (Final)
>
>       uname -a            == 2.6.18-53.el5PAE #1 SMP i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>
> ---------------
>
> Machine #2:
>
> This machine has a larger dataserver which benefits from the use of 3.7GB of memory.
>
>       /etc/redhat-release == CentOS release 4.6 (Final)
>
>       uname -a            ==  2.6.9-55.0.12.ELhugemem #1 SMP i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>
> ---------------
>
> I'm not the Linux admin for these machines so fwiw ...
>
> I seem to recall having the memory limitation issue with Machine #2 when we were first setting up the machine (a loooong
> time ago).
>
> I'm almost certain we got around the memory limitation issue by installing the ELhugemem kernel.
>
> What happens if you install the ELhugemem kernel on your machine and then bump up the ASE 'max memory' setting?
>
>
>
> hiro wrote:
> > Hi Mark, Thank you for your info.
>
> > which version of linux are you using?
>
> > I'm using CentOS 5.4 (RHEL5.4), If I execute sp_configure 'max memory',
> > 0,'2.8G'
> > procedure execution succeed, But statserver cause segmentation fault.
>
> > -- hiro
>
> > On 1月7日, 午前6:39, "Mark A. Parsons"
> > <iron_horse@no_spamola.compuserve.com> wrote:
> >> I can't comment on the contents of the link you provide but fwiw ...
>
> >> I've got a client running 32-bit Linux (2.6.9-55.0.12.ELhugemem) and ASE 15.0.2.  shmmax is defined as 3.75GB, while the
> >> dataserver's 'max memory' setting is 1,850,000 (2K) pages = 3,700,00 KB memory.
>
> >> Assuming the OS shared memory settings are high enough, you could always try bumping up 'max memory' until you get a
> >> message that you can't go any higher.
>
> >> Alternatively, you could contact Sybase Tech Support for clarification on the info at that sybase.com link.
>
> >> hiro wrote:
> >>> Dear Sybase GURU.
> >>> * Question
> >>>  I would like to know "Maximum Addressable Shared Memory" in ASE 15.x
> >>> on Linux 32bit platform
> >>>  (RHEL)
> >>>  http://www.sybase.jp/detail?id=1026830
> >>>  It seems 2.7G on Linux 32bit. Is it mean that 'max memory' upper
> >>> limit is 1024 * 1024 * 2.7 / 2 = 1415577??
> >>>  I tried 'max memory',1415580. It works fine. so I would like to know
> >>> upper limit page size.
> >>> Sincerely
> >>> -- hiro


hiro Posted on 2010-01-09 09:02:14.0Z
From: hiro <hiroysato@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Maximum Addressable Shared Memory in ASE 15.x on Linux 32bit platform
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 01:02:14 -0800 (PST)
Organization: http://groups.google.com
Lines: 129
Message-ID: <5d4c0ad0-861e-4810-804f-4e5309e40317@m26g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>
References: <3f68e059-90c6-4a54-a01e-0693ae3af887@e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com> <4b4502fa$1@forums-1-dub> <816bf0b8-477b-4037-a22c-d33b25203dad@m3g2000yqf.googlegroups.com> <4b473eaa$1@forums-1-dub> <1bfcc201-8254-4857-aafa-ea915d17c33c@p8g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 211.19.98.177
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-Trace: posting.google.com 1263027734 26348 127.0.0.1 (9 Jan 2010 09:02:14 GMT)
X-Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 09:02:14 +0000 (UTC)
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: m26g2000yqb.googlegroups.com; posting-host=211.19.98.177; posting-account=IEn8rgoAAACMLW-fH7jZGmn6B_AGW-5l
User-Agent: G2/1.0
X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_8; ja-jp) AppleWebKit/531.21.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Safari/531.21.10,gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master!newssvr.sybase.com!news-sj-1.sprintlink.net!news-peer1.sprintlink.net!newsfeed.yul.equant.net!news-raspail.gip.net!news.gsl.net!gip.net!aotearoa.belnet.be!news.belnet.be!newsfeed.kpn.net!pfeed09.wxs.nl!feeder2.cambriumusenet.nl!feed.tweaknews.nl!postnews.google.com!m26g2000yqb.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28853
Article PK: 78095

I succeed to allocate 3.7G 'max memory'

1> sp_configure 'max memory'
2> go
Parameter Name Default Memory Used
Config Value Run Value
Unit
Type
------------------------------ -------------------- -----------
-------------------- --------------------
--------------------
----------
max memory 49152 3879730
1939865 1939865 memory pages
(2k)
dynamic

(1 row affected)

I installed PAE kernel

kernel-PAE-2.6.18-164.10.1.el5

CentOS release 5.4 (Final)
2.6.18-164.10.1.el5PAE #1 SMP Thu Jan 7 20:37:53 EST 2010 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

On 1月9日, 午後5:09, hiro <hiroys...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you so much .
> I'll try to install ELhugemem kernel.
>
> On 1月8日, 午後11:18, "Mark A. Parsons"
>
>
>
> <iron_horse@no_spamola.compuserve.com> wrote:
> > The client has Sybase ASE (32-bit) running on a couple linux machines.
>
> > ---------------
>
> > Machine #1:
>
> > This machine has a small 'scratch' dataserver which doesn't need more than 1GB of RAM.  However, if I bump up memory to
> > 3.7GB then I get the same issue as you, ie, sp_configure will take the larger number for 'max memory' but then the
> > dataserver generates a segmentation fault during startup.
>
> >       /etc/redhat-release == CentOS release 5 (Final)
>
> >       uname -a            == 2.6.18-53.el5PAE #1 SMP i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>
> > ---------------
>
> > Machine #2:
>
> > This machine has a larger dataserver which benefits from the use of 3.7GB of memory.
>
> >       /etc/redhat-release == CentOS release 4.6 (Final)
>
> >       uname -a            ==  2.6.9-55.0.12.ELhugemem #1 SMP i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>
> > ---------------
>
> > I'm not the Linux admin for these machines so fwiw ...
>
> > I seem to recall having the memory limitation issue with Machine #2 when we were first setting up the machine (a loooong
> > time ago).
>
> > I'm almost certain we got around the memory limitation issue by installing the ELhugemem kernel.
>
> > What happens if you install the ELhugemem kernel on your machine and then bump up the ASE 'max memory' setting?
>
> > hiro wrote:
> > > Hi Mark, Thank you for your info.
>
> > > which version of linux are you using?
>
> > > I'm using CentOS 5.4 (RHEL5.4), If I execute sp_configure 'max memory',
> > > 0,'2.8G'
> > > procedure execution succeed, But statserver cause segmentation fault.
>
> > > -- hiro
>
> > > On 1月7日, 午前6:39, "Mark A. Parsons"
> > > <iron_horse@no_spamola.compuserve.com> wrote:
> > >> I can't comment on the contents of the link you provide but fwiw ...
>
> > >> I've got a client running 32-bit Linux (2.6.9-55.0.12.ELhugemem) and ASE 15.0.2.  shmmax is defined as 3.75GB, while the
> > >> dataserver's 'max memory' setting is 1,850,000 (2K) pages = 3,700,00 KB memory.
>
> > >> Assuming the OS shared memory settings are high enough, you could always try bumping up 'max memory' until you get a
> > >> message that you can't go any higher.
>
> > >> Alternatively, you could contact Sybase Tech Support for clarification on the info at that sybase.com link.
>
> > >> hiro wrote:
> > >>> Dear Sybase GURU.
> > >>> * Question
> > >>>  I would like to know "Maximum Addressable Shared Memory" in ASE 15.x
> > >>> on Linux 32bit platform
> > >>>  (RHEL)
> > >>>  http://www.sybase.jp/detail?id=1026830
> > >>>  It seems 2.7G on Linux 32bit. Is it mean that 'max memory' upper
> > >>> limit is 1024 * 1024 * 2.7 / 2 = 1415577??
> > >>>  I tried 'max memory',1415580. It works fine. so I would like to know
> > >>> upper limit page size.
> > >>> Sincerely
> > >>> -- hiro


"Mark A. Parsons" <iron_horse Posted on 2010-01-09 18:17:59.0Z
From: "Mark A. Parsons" <iron_horse@no_spamola.compuserve.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 (Windows/20070221)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Maximum Addressable Shared Memory in ASE 15.x on Linux 32bit platform
References: <3f68e059-90c6-4a54-a01e-0693ae3af887@e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com> <4b4502fa$1@forums-1-dub> <816bf0b8-477b-4037-a22c-d33b25203dad@m3g2000yqf.googlegroups.com> <4b473eaa$1@forums-1-dub> <1bfcc201-8254-4857-aafa-ea915d17c33c@p8g2000yqb.googlegroups.com> <5d4c0ad0-861e-4810-804f-4e5309e40317@m26g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>
In-Reply-To: <5d4c0ad0-861e-4810-804f-4e5309e40317@m26g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 091223-0, 12/23/2009), Outbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4b48c857$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 9 Jan 2010 10:17:59 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1263061079 10.22.241.152 (9 Jan 2010 10:17:59 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Jan 2010 10:17:59 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 93
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28855
Article PK: 78096

If you got it to work with PAE, that's great! (Hmmmm ... I wonder what else my client would need to do for their PAE
server to allow ASE to access 3.7GB of RAM ... )

Did you get it to work with hugemem, too?

hiro wrote:
> I succeed to allocate 3.7G 'max memory'
>
> 1> sp_configure 'max memory'
> 2> go
> Parameter Name Default Memory Used
> Config Value Run Value
> Unit
> Type
> ------------------------------ -------------------- -----------
> -------------------- --------------------
> --------------------
> ----------
> max memory 49152 3879730
> 1939865 1939865 memory pages
> (2k)
> dynamic
>
> (1 row affected)
>
> I installed PAE kernel
>
> kernel-PAE-2.6.18-164.10.1.el5
>
> CentOS release 5.4 (Final)
> 2.6.18-164.10.1.el5PAE #1 SMP Thu Jan 7 20:37:53 EST 2010 i686 i686
> i386 GNU/Linux
>
>
>
> On 1月9日, 午後5:09, hiro <hiroys...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thank you so much .
>> I'll try to install ELhugemem kernel.
>>
>> On 1月8日, 午後11:18, "Mark A. Parsons"
>>
>>
>>
>> <iron_horse@no_spamola.compuserve.com> wrote:
>>> The client has Sybase ASE (32-bit) running on a couple linux machines.
>>> ---------------
>>> Machine #1:
>>> This machine has a small 'scratch' dataserver which doesn't need more than 1GB of RAM. However, if I bump up memory to
>>> 3.7GB then I get the same issue as you, ie, sp_configure will take the larger number for 'max memory' but then the
>>> dataserver generates a segmentation fault during startup.
>>> /etc/redhat-release == CentOS release 5 (Final)
>>> uname -a == 2.6.18-53.el5PAE #1 SMP i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>>> ---------------
>>> Machine #2:
>>> This machine has a larger dataserver which benefits from the use of 3.7GB of memory.
>>> /etc/redhat-release == CentOS release 4.6 (Final)
>>> uname -a == 2.6.9-55.0.12.ELhugemem #1 SMP i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>>> ---------------
>>> I'm not the Linux admin for these machines so fwiw ...
>>> I seem to recall having the memory limitation issue with Machine #2 when we were first setting up the machine (a loooong
>>> time ago).
>>> I'm almost certain we got around the memory limitation issue by installing the ELhugemem kernel.
>>> What happens if you install the ELhugemem kernel on your machine and then bump up the ASE 'max memory' setting?
>>> hiro wrote:
>>>> Hi Mark, Thank you for your info.
>>>> which version of linux are you using?
>>>> I'm using CentOS 5.4 (RHEL5.4), If I execute sp_configure 'max memory',
>>>> 0,'2.8G'
>>>> procedure execution succeed, But statserver cause segmentation fault.
>>>> -- hiro
>>>> On 1月7日, 午前6:39, "Mark A. Parsons"
>>>> <iron_horse@no_spamola.compuserve.com> wrote:
>>>>> I can't comment on the contents of the link you provide but fwiw ...
>>>>> I've got a client running 32-bit Linux (2.6.9-55.0.12.ELhugemem) and ASE 15.0.2. shmmax is defined as 3.75GB, while the
>>>>> dataserver's 'max memory' setting is 1,850,000 (2K) pages = 3,700,00 KB memory.
>>>>> Assuming the OS shared memory settings are high enough, you could always try bumping up 'max memory' until you get a
>>>>> message that you can't go any higher.
>>>>> Alternatively, you could contact Sybase Tech Support for clarification on the info at that sybase.com link.
>>>>> hiro wrote:
>>>>>> Dear Sybase GURU.
>>>>>> * Question
>>>>>> I would like to know "Maximum Addressable Shared Memory" in ASE 15.x
>>>>>> on Linux 32bit platform
>>>>>> (RHEL)
>>>>>> http://www.sybase.jp/detail?id=1026830
>>>>>> It seems 2.7G on Linux 32bit. Is it mean that 'max memory' upper
>>>>>> limit is 1024 * 1024 * 2.7 / 2 = 1415577??
>>>>>> I tried 'max memory',1415580. It works fine. so I would like to know
>>>>>> upper limit page size.
>>>>>> Sincerely
>>>>>> -- hiro
>