Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

CreateFileA ??

5 posts in Pocket PowerBuilder Last posting was on 2003-10-03 17:43:07.0Z
<Steve Smith> Posted on 2003-10-02 17:20:59.0Z
From: <Steve Smith>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder
Subject: CreateFileA ??
Lines: 39
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0012_01C388DE.F07A73E0"
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
NNTP-Posting-Host: 209.8.120.210
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 209.8.120.210
Message-ID: <3f7c5e7b@forums-1-dub>
Date: 2 Oct 2003 10:20:59 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1065115259 209.8.120.210 (2 Oct 2003 10:20:59 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 2 Oct 2003 10:20:59 -0700, 209.8.120.210
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder:674
Article PK: 267207

I know we can use it in Powerbuilder for Windows OS but is their an equivalent function for Pocket PC 2002 and can we call it in Pocket PowerBuilder ??
 
Thank You
 
Steven


Reed Shilts [Sybase] Posted on 2003-10-03 11:28:34.0Z
From: "Reed Shilts [Sybase]" <reed.dot.shilts.at.sybase.dot.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder
Subject: Re: CreateFileA ??
Organization: Sybase
Message-ID: <usmqnvofnvilvfliqk9pu487lk7m5f6pkd@4ax.com>
References: <3f7c5e7b@forums-1-dub>
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 1.93/32.576 English (American)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: rshilts.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: rshilts.sybase.com
Date: 3 Oct 2003 04:28:34 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1065180514 10.18.61.76 (3 Oct 2003 04:28:34 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 3 Oct 2003 04:28:34 -0700, rshilts.sybase.com
Lines: 21
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder:684
Article PK: 267217

In the PocketPC OS the functions are typically the Unicode versions.
Try "CreateFileW", it's probably in "coredll.dll" (but I haven't
confirmed this).

Of course one can ask - what are you trying to do that the
built-in functions are not addressing?

HTH,
Reed Shilts
PPB Development Manager
<Standard-Disclaimers-Apply/>

On 2 Oct 2003 10:20:59 -0700, <Steve Smith> wrote:

>I know we can use it in Powerbuilder for Windows OS but is their an equivalent function for Pocket PC 2002 and can we call it in Pocket PowerBuilder ??
>
>Thank You
>
>Steven


<Steve Smith> Posted on 2003-10-03 13:05:10.0Z
From: <Steve Smith>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder
References: <3f7c5e7b@forums-1-dub> <usmqnvofnvilvfliqk9pu487lk7m5f6pkd@4ax.com>
Subject: Re: CreateFileA ??
Lines: 35
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 209.8.120.210
Message-ID: <3f7d74bf$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 3 Oct 2003 06:08:15 -0700, 209.8.120.210
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 3 Oct 2003 06:00:07 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 3 Oct 2003 06:05:10 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1065186310 10.22.108.75 (3 Oct 2003 06:05:10 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 3 Oct 2003 06:05:10 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder:685
Article PK: 267219

We are trying to read data from magnetic swipe reader thru COM port. Are
their any inbuilt functions in PocketPB that enables us to do a Read/Write
Operation on a COM Port ?

Thanks for Reply

Steven

"Reed Shilts [Sybase]" <reed.dot.shilts.at.sybase.dot.com> wrote in message
news:usmqnvofnvilvfliqk9pu487lk7m5f6pkd@4ax.com...
> In the PocketPC OS the functions are typically the Unicode versions.
> Try "CreateFileW", it's probably in "coredll.dll" (but I haven't
> confirmed this).
>
> Of course one can ask - what are you trying to do that the
> built-in functions are not addressing?
>
> HTH,
> Reed Shilts
> PPB Development Manager
> <Standard-Disclaimers-Apply/>
>
>
> On 2 Oct 2003 10:20:59 -0700, <Steve Smith> wrote:
>
> >I know we can use it in Powerbuilder for Windows OS but is their an

equivalent function for Pocket PC 2002 and can we call it in Pocket
PowerBuilder ??
> >
> >Thank You
> >
> >Steven
>


Reed Shilts [Sybase] Posted on 2003-10-03 15:30:37.0Z
From: "Reed Shilts [Sybase]" <reed.dot.shilts.at.sybase.dot.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder
Subject: Re: CreateFileA ??
Organization: Sybase
Message-ID: <u55rnvork4527vr45lffaqfsabtjv1sgsn@4ax.com>
References: <3f7c5e7b@forums-1-dub> <usmqnvofnvilvfliqk9pu487lk7m5f6pkd@4ax.com> <3f7d74bf$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 1.93/32.576 English (American)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: rshilts.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: rshilts.sybase.com
Date: 3 Oct 2003 08:30:37 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1065195037 10.18.61.76 (3 Oct 2003 08:30:37 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 3 Oct 2003 08:30:37 -0700, rshilts.sybase.com
Lines: 46
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder:689
Article PK: 267222

I believe (again unconfirmed) that you can just open the file
with the name "COM8:" or whatever and things work correctly.
I'd give that a try first.
HTH,
Reed Shilts
PocketBuilder Development Manager
<Standard-Disclaimers-Apply/>

On 3 Oct 2003 06:05:10 -0700, <Steve Smith> wrote:

>We are trying to read data from magnetic swipe reader thru COM port. Are
>their any inbuilt functions in PocketPB that enables us to do a Read/Write
>Operation on a COM Port ?
>
>Thanks for Reply
>
>Steven
>
>"Reed Shilts [Sybase]" <reed.dot.shilts.at.sybase.dot.com> wrote in message
>news:usmqnvofnvilvfliqk9pu487lk7m5f6pkd@4ax.com...
>> In the PocketPC OS the functions are typically the Unicode versions.
>> Try "CreateFileW", it's probably in "coredll.dll" (but I haven't
>> confirmed this).
>>
>> Of course one can ask - what are you trying to do that the
>> built-in functions are not addressing?
>>
>> HTH,
>> Reed Shilts
>> PPB Development Manager
>> <Standard-Disclaimers-Apply/>
>>
>>
>> On 2 Oct 2003 10:20:59 -0700, <Steve Smith> wrote:
>>
>> >I know we can use it in Powerbuilder for Windows OS but is their an
>equivalent function for Pocket PC 2002 and can we call it in Pocket
>PowerBuilder ??
>> >
>> >Thank You
>> >
>> >Steven
>>
>


<Steve Smith> Posted on 2003-10-03 17:43:07.0Z
From: <Steve Smith>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder
References: <3f7c5e7b@forums-1-dub> <usmqnvofnvilvfliqk9pu487lk7m5f6pkd@4ax.com> <3f7d74bf$1@forums-2-dub> <u55rnvork4527vr45lffaqfsabtjv1sgsn@4ax.com>
Subject: Re: CreateFileA ??
Lines: 55
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 209.8.120.210
Message-ID: <3f7db5e3$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 3 Oct 2003 10:46:11 -0700, 209.8.120.210
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 3 Oct 2003 10:38:02 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 3 Oct 2003 10:43:07 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1065202987 10.22.108.75 (3 Oct 2003 10:43:07 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 3 Oct 2003 10:43:07 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder:693
Article PK: 267226

But I believe Fileopen is a unidirectional function ; you can either open
port in Read! or Write! mode. how would we open it in ReadWrite! mode ?

"Reed Shilts [Sybase]" <reed.dot.shilts.at.sybase.dot.com> wrote in message
news:u55rnvork4527vr45lffaqfsabtjv1sgsn@4ax.com...
> I believe (again unconfirmed) that you can just open the file
> with the name "COM8:" or whatever and things work correctly.
> I'd give that a try first.
> HTH,
> Reed Shilts
> PocketBuilder Development Manager
> <Standard-Disclaimers-Apply/>
>
>
> On 3 Oct 2003 06:05:10 -0700, <Steve Smith> wrote:
>
> >We are trying to read data from magnetic swipe reader thru COM port. Are
> >their any inbuilt functions in PocketPB that enables us to do a
Read/Write
> >Operation on a COM Port ?
> >
> >Thanks for Reply
> >
> >Steven
> >
> >"Reed Shilts [Sybase]" <reed.dot.shilts.at.sybase.dot.com> wrote in
message
> >news:usmqnvofnvilvfliqk9pu487lk7m5f6pkd@4ax.com...
> >> In the PocketPC OS the functions are typically the Unicode versions.
> >> Try "CreateFileW", it's probably in "coredll.dll" (but I haven't
> >> confirmed this).
> >>
> >> Of course one can ask - what are you trying to do that the
> >> built-in functions are not addressing?
> >>
> >> HTH,
> >> Reed Shilts
> >> PPB Development Manager
> >> <Standard-Disclaimers-Apply/>
> >>
> >>
> >> On 2 Oct 2003 10:20:59 -0700, <Steve Smith> wrote:
> >>
> >> >I know we can use it in Powerbuilder for Windows OS but is their an
> >equivalent function for Pocket PC 2002 and can we call it in Pocket
> >PowerBuilder ??
> >> >
> >> >Thank You
> >> >
> >> >Steven
> >>
> >
>