Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Upsizing from ASA to ASE

5 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2003-10-30 12:14:30.0Z
JohnJ Posted on 2003-10-10 22:47:23.0Z
Sender: 7c88.3f8735d4.1804289383@sybase.com
From: JohnJ
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Upsizing from ASA to ASE
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1s
Message-ID: <3f8736fb.7caa.846930886@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 10 Oct 2003 15:47:23 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1065826043 10.22.241.41 (10 Oct 2003 15:47:23 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 10 Oct 2003 15:47:23 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 5
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:1847
Article PK: 4098

We have a SQL Anywhere (ASA7) DB with 243 stored procedures
which we may upsize to ASE.

Can anyone advise if there is an upsizing tool available?
Does the ASA T-SQL code port painlessly between ASA and ASE?


Greg Fenton Posted on 2003-10-11 03:55:29.0Z
From: Greg Fenton <greg.fenton_NOSPAM_@ianywhere.com>
Organization: iAnywhere Solutions Inc.
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Upsizing from ASA to ASE
References: <3f8736fb.7caa.846930886@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <3f8736fb.7caa.846930886@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-concord-011.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-concord-011.sybase.com
Message-ID: <3f877f31@forums-1-dub>
Date: 10 Oct 2003 20:55:29 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1065844529 158.159.8.11 (10 Oct 2003 20:55:29 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 10 Oct 2003 20:55:29 -0700, vpn-concord-011.sybase.com
Lines: 27
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:1849
Article PK: 4100


JohnJ wrote:

> We have a SQL Anywhere (ASA7) DB with 243 stored procedures
> which we may upsize to ASE.

Have you discussed this move with your ASA sales representative and/or
an iAnywhere technical sales consultant? I would be interested to hear
more details about your environment that you think a move to ASE is
necessary (or even why/how it would be beneficial).


> Can anyone advise if there is an upsizing tool available?
> Does the ASA T-SQL code port painlessly between ASA and ASE?

ASA T-SQL is quite compatible with ASE T-SQL, but there are some things
you can do in your code that would work in ASA but fail in ASE. I don't
know of any tool off-hand, but I've not worked with ASE very much.

greg.fenton
--
Greg Fenton
Consultant, Solution Services, iAnywhere Solutions
--------
Visit the iAnywhere Solutions Developer Community
Whitepapers, TechDocs, Downloads
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/


gyoder Posted on 2003-10-13 15:11:26.0Z
Sender: 38d0.3f8abff9.1804289383@sybase.com
From: gyoder@gkelite.com
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Upsizing from ASA to ASE
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1s
Message-ID: <3f8ac09e.38e0.846930886@sybase.com>
References: <3f8736fb.7caa.846930886@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 13 Oct 2003 08:11:26 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1066057886 10.22.241.41 (13 Oct 2003 08:11:26 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 13 Oct 2003 08:11:26 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 12
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:1851
Article PK: 4101

I'm curious about SQL Anywhere and how well it performs on a
PC client/server environment. Could you tell me about your
hardware configuration and the number of clients?

Thanks

> We have a SQL Anywhere (ASA7) DB with 243 stored
> procedures which we may upsize to ASE.
>
> Can anyone advise if there is an upsizing tool available?
> Does the ASA T-SQL code port painlessly between ASA and
> ASE?


Jim Diaz Posted on 2003-10-17 16:47:37.0Z
From: "Jim Diaz" <NOSPAMjdiaz@emprisecorporation.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <3f8736fb.7caa.846930886@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Upsizing from ASA to ASE
Lines: 58
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 209.182.73.66
Message-ID: <3f901e13$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 17 Oct 2003 09:51:31 -0700, 209.182.73.66
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 17 Oct 2003 09:41:10 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 17 Oct 2003 09:47:37 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1066409257 10.22.108.75 (17 Oct 2003 09:47:37 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 17 Oct 2003 09:47:37 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:1873
Article PK: 4124

John:

We have a 45 GB ASA database with 543 tables, 428 views, 1530
procedure/functions. The largest table has 151,236,240 rows. We run this
database on a DELL 2650 server with one GB of memory a 2.4 GHz Xeon
processor and Windows 2000 server. Our network is a 100 MB/Sec TCP/IP on
Eathernet. I have tested with 50 simultaneous clients and receive complex
query response against the largest table of less then 50 milliseconds.

Here is the query

select VesselsLogsSequences.LogSequenceID as LogSequenceID,
VesselsLogsParametersValues.ParameterID as ParameterID,
VesselsLogsParametersValues.SiteLogParameterValue as ParameterValue,
VesselsLogsParametersComments.SiteLogParameterComments as
ParameterComments,
Logbook.ConvertAlarmValueToBoolean(
VesselsLogsParametersInAlarm.SiteLogParameterAlarmValue) as
ParameterInAlarm,
VesselsLogsParametersValues.UserId as ParameterUserId,
Users.UserFullName as ParameterUserFullName,
VesselsLogsParametersValues.ParameterDataCollectionDateTime as
ParameterValueEntryTime,
VesselsLogsParametersInAlarm.SiteLogParameterAlarmValue as
AlarmValueExceeded from
Logbook.VesselsLogsSequences left outer join
Logbook.VesselsLogsParametersValues left outer join
Logbook.VesselsLogsParametersComments left outer join
Logbook.VesselsLogsParametersInAlarm left outer join
Logbook.ProcessParameters on
(ProcessParameters.ProcessId = VesselsLogsParametersValues.ProcessId and
ProcessParameters.ParameterId = VesselsLogsParametersValues.ParameterId)
left outer join
Logbook.Parameters left outer join
SAMM.Users where
VesselsLogsSequences.VesselID = @SiteID and
VesselsLogsSequences.LogID = @LogID and
VesselsLogsParametersValues.ProcessID = @ProcessID and
VesselsLogsSequences.LogSequenceLocalDateTime >= @MinTimestamp and
VesselsLogsSequences.LogSequenceLocalDateTime <= @MaxTimestamp order by
VesselsLogsSequences.LogSequenceLocalDateTime desc,
VesselsLogsSequences.LogSequenceID asc,
ProcessParameters.ParameterProcessDisplaySeq asc,
VesselsLogsParametersValues.ParameterID asc

Hope this helps.

Jim

<JohnJ> wrote in message news:3f8736fb.7caa.846930886@sybase.com...
> We have a SQL Anywhere (ASA7) DB with 243 stored procedures
> which we may upsize to ASE.
>
> Can anyone advise if there is an upsizing tool available?
> Does the ASA T-SQL code port painlessly between ASA and ASE?


Geogre Yoder Posted on 2003-10-30 12:14:30.0Z
Sender: 7d6.3fa10e4f.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Geogre Yoder
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Upsizing from ASA to ASE
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1s
Message-ID: <3fa10eb6.7df.846930886@sybase.com>
References: <3f8736fb.7caa.846930886@sybase.com><3f901e13$1@forums-2-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 30 Oct 2003 05:14:30 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1067519670 10.22.241.41 (30 Oct 2003 05:14:30 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 30 Oct 2003 05:14:30 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 75
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:1960
Article PK: 4198

What version of ASA are you using?

Thanks,
George

> John:
>
> We have a 45 GB ASA database with 543 tables, 428
> views, 1530 procedure/functions. The largest table has
> 151,236,240 rows. We run this database on a DELL 2650
> server with one GB of memory a 2.4 GHz Xeon processor and
> Windows 2000 server. Our network is a 100 MB/Sec TCP/IP
> on Eathernet. I have tested with 50 simultaneous clients
> and receive complex query response against the largest
> table of less then 50 milliseconds.
>
> Here is the query
>
> select VesselsLogsSequences.LogSequenceID as LogSequenceID
> ,
> VesselsLogsParametersValues.ParameterID as ParameterID
> ,
> VesselsLogsParametersValues.SiteLogParameterValue as
> ParameterValue,
> VesselsLogsParametersComments.SiteLogParameterComments
> as ParameterComments,
> Logbook.ConvertAlarmValueToBoolean(
>
> VesselsLogsParametersInAlarm.SiteLogParameterAlarmValue)
> as ParameterInAlarm,
> VesselsLogsParametersValues.UserId as ParameterUserId,
> Users.UserFullName as ParameterUserFullName,
>
> VesselsLogsParametersValues.ParameterDataCollectionDateTim
> e as ParameterValueEntryTime,
>
> VesselsLogsParametersInAlarm.SiteLogParameterAlarmValue as
> AlarmValueExceeded from
> Logbook.VesselsLogsSequences left outer join
> Logbook.VesselsLogsParametersValues left outer join
> Logbook.VesselsLogsParametersComments left outer join
> Logbook.VesselsLogsParametersInAlarm left outer join
> Logbook.ProcessParameters on
> (ProcessParameters.ProcessId =
> VesselsLogsParametersValues.ProcessId and
> ProcessParameters.ParameterId =
> VesselsLogsParametersValues.ParameterId) left outer join
> Logbook.Parameters left outer join
> SAMM.Users where
> VesselsLogsSequences.VesselID = @SiteID and
> VesselsLogsSequences.LogID = @LogID and
> VesselsLogsParametersValues.ProcessID = @ProcessID and
> VesselsLogsSequences.LogSequenceLocalDateTime >=
> @MinTimestamp and
> VesselsLogsSequences.LogSequenceLocalDateTime <=
> @MaxTimestamp order by
> VesselsLogsSequences.LogSequenceLocalDateTime desc,
> VesselsLogsSequences.LogSequenceID asc,
> ProcessParameters.ParameterProcessDisplaySeq asc,
> VesselsLogsParametersValues.ParameterID asc
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Jim
>
>
> <JohnJ> wrote in message
> > news:3f8736fb.7caa.846930886@sybase.com... We have a SQL
> > Anywhere (ASA7) DB with 243 stored procedures which we
> may upsize to ASE. >
> > Can anyone advise if there is an upsizing tool
> > available? Does the ASA T-SQL code port painlessly
> between ASA and ASE?
>
>