Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Sybase SQL Anywhere connectivity

4 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2003-11-18 19:50:33.0Z
jpvarma Posted on 2003-11-14 22:25:10.0Z
Sender: 4102.3fb55645.1804289383@sybase.com
From: jpvarma@eckerd.com
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Sybase SQL Anywhere connectivity
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1s
Message-ID: <3fb55646.4102.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 14 Nov 2003 14:25:10 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1068848710 10.22.241.41 (14 Nov 2003 14:25:10 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 14 Nov 2003 14:25:10 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 18
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:2088
Article PK: 4305

How do I connect from UNIX AIX 4.3 to database Sybase SQL
Anywhere 5.5.0 which is based on Windows NT.

My basic purpose is to load data from Sybase SQL Anywhere
5.5.0(on Windows NT) to Oracle 8i (Unix AIX 4.3) on a
periodic basis. If the connectivity between sybase sql
anywhere and Oracle is too much of work, then I would like
to explore the next option of connecting to SQL Anywhere
database server from the Unix AIX box where I can take the
data extract from the database.

Could you please suggest me as to how I can achieve this.
Would really appreciate.

Thanks
-- Jitu Varma
Eckerd Corporation.
727/395-4445


Chris Keating (iAnywhere Solutions) Posted on 2003-11-15 01:37:54.0Z
From: "Chris Keating \(iAnywhere Solutions\)" <FightSpam_keating@iAnywhere.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <3fb55646.4102.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Sybase SQL Anywhere connectivity
Lines: 63
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
NNTP-Posting-Host: cpe00045af8ce8c-cm012059936305.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: cpe00045af8ce8c-cm012059936305.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
Message-ID: <3fb58372@forums-1-dub>
Date: 14 Nov 2003 17:37:54 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1068860274 24.112.61.79 (14 Nov 2003 17:37:54 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 14 Nov 2003 17:37:54 -0800, cpe00045af8ce8c-cm012059936305.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:2089
Article PK: 4306

Unless you already have client software for SQL Anywhere running on AIX, you
won't be able to connect. SQL Anywhere 5 has been end of lifed for some time
and was not being sold for some time before that. And you won't be able to
communicate to a remote server from SQL ANywhere 5. That functionality was
introduced in a maintenace release of ASA 6 (which is also end of lifed).

There was a rewrite of connectivity in ASA6 which will prevent newer client
software from communicating with a SQL Anwhere 5.

Are you able to consider moving to a newer version of SQL Anywhere? The
currently active versions are ASA7,8, and 9.



--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

****************************************************************************
*
Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition
and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and small to
medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html

****************************************************************************
*

iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com

****************************************************************************
*

<jpvarma@eckerd.com> wrote in message
news:3fb55646.4102.1681692777@sybase.com...
> How do I connect from UNIX AIX 4.3 to database Sybase SQL
> Anywhere 5.5.0 which is based on Windows NT.
>
> My basic purpose is to load data from Sybase SQL Anywhere
> 5.5.0(on Windows NT) to Oracle 8i (Unix AIX 4.3) on a
> periodic basis. If the connectivity between sybase sql
> anywhere and Oracle is too much of work, then I would like
> to explore the next option of connecting to SQL Anywhere
> database server from the Unix AIX box where I can take the
> data extract from the database.
>
> Could you please suggest me as to how I can achieve this.
> Would really appreciate.
>
> Thanks
> -- Jitu Varma
> Eckerd Corporation.
> 727/395-4445


Chris Keating (iAnywhere Solutions) Posted on 2003-11-17 15:56:42.0Z
From: "Chris Keating \(iAnywhere Solutions\)" <FightSpam_keating@iAnywhere.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <3fb55646.4102.1681692777@sybase.com> <3fb58372@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Sybase SQL Anywhere connectivity
Lines: 106
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.31.140.66
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.31.140.66
Message-ID: <3fb8efba$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 17 Nov 2003 07:56:42 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1069084602 172.31.140.66 (17 Nov 2003 07:56:42 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 17 Nov 2003 07:56:42 -0800, 172.31.140.66
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:2092
Article PK: 4309

You still have not captured the SQLWarnings. All you have captured is the
SQLException.

See
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/Database/JDBC20Intro/exercises/SQLErr/

--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

****************************************************************************
*
Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition
and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and small to
medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html

****************************************************************************
*

iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com

****************************************************************************
*

"Chris Keating (iAnywhere Solutions)" <FightSpam_keating@iAnywhere.com>

wrote in message news:3fb58372@forums-1-dub...
> Unless you already have client software for SQL Anywhere running on AIX,
you
> won't be able to connect. SQL Anywhere 5 has been end of lifed for some
time
> and was not being sold for some time before that. And you won't be able to
> communicate to a remote server from SQL ANywhere 5. That functionality was
> introduced in a maintenace release of ASA 6 (which is also end of lifed).
>
> There was a rewrite of connectivity in ASA6 which will prevent newer
client
> software from communicating with a SQL Anwhere 5.
>
> Are you able to consider moving to a newer version of SQL Anywhere? The
> currently active versions are ASA7,8, and 9.
>
>
>
> --
>
> Chris Keating
> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8
>
>
****************************************************************************
> *
> Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition
> and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and small to
> medium sized business environments for free!
>
> http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html
>
>
****************************************************************************
> *
>
> iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com
>
> ** Please only post to the newsgroup
>
> ** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
> ** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
> ** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com
>
>
****************************************************************************
> *
>
> <jpvarma@eckerd.com> wrote in message
> news:3fb55646.4102.1681692777@sybase.com...
> > How do I connect from UNIX AIX 4.3 to database Sybase SQL
> > Anywhere 5.5.0 which is based on Windows NT.
> >
> > My basic purpose is to load data from Sybase SQL Anywhere
> > 5.5.0(on Windows NT) to Oracle 8i (Unix AIX 4.3) on a
> > periodic basis. If the connectivity between sybase sql
> > anywhere and Oracle is too much of work, then I would like
> > to explore the next option of connecting to SQL Anywhere
> > database server from the Unix AIX box where I can take the
> > data extract from the database.
> >
> > Could you please suggest me as to how I can achieve this.
> > Would really appreciate.
> >
> > Thanks
> > -- Jitu Varma
> > Eckerd Corporation.
> > 727/395-4445
>
>


Chris Keating (iAnywhere Solutions) Posted on 2003-11-18 19:50:33.0Z
From: "Chris Keating \(iAnywhere Solutions\)" <FightSpam_keating@iAnywhere.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <3fb55646.4102.1681692777@sybase.com> <3fb58372@forums-1-dub> <3fb8efba$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Sybase SQL Anywhere connectivity
Lines: 151
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.31.140.66
Message-ID: <3fba7966$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 18 Nov 2003 11:56:22 -0800, 172.31.140.66
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 18 Nov 2003 11:40:56 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 18 Nov 2003 11:50:33 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1069185033 10.22.108.75 (18 Nov 2003 11:50:33 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 18 Nov 2003 11:50:33 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:2098
Article PK: 4314

This is meant for a different thread. Please ignore.

--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

****************************************************************************
*
Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition
and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and small to
medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html

****************************************************************************
*

iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com

****************************************************************************
*

"Chris Keating (iAnywhere Solutions)" <FightSpam_keating@iAnywhere.com>

wrote in message news:3fb8efba$1@forums-1-dub...
> You still have not captured the SQLWarnings. All you have captured is the
> SQLException.
>
> See
>
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/Database/JDBC20Intro/exercises/SQLErr/
>
> --
>
> Chris Keating
> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8
>
>
****************************************************************************
> *
> Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition
> and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and small to
> medium sized business environments for free!
>
> http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html
>
>
****************************************************************************
> *
>
> iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com
>
> ** Please only post to the newsgroup
>
> ** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
> ** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
> ** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com
>
>
****************************************************************************
> *
>
> "Chris Keating (iAnywhere Solutions)" <FightSpam_keating@iAnywhere.com>
> wrote in message news:3fb58372@forums-1-dub...
> > Unless you already have client software for SQL Anywhere running on AIX,
> you
> > won't be able to connect. SQL Anywhere 5 has been end of lifed for some
> time
> > and was not being sold for some time before that. And you won't be able
to
> > communicate to a remote server from SQL ANywhere 5. That functionality
was
> > introduced in a maintenace release of ASA 6 (which is also end of
lifed).
> >
> > There was a rewrite of connectivity in ASA6 which will prevent newer
> client
> > software from communicating with a SQL Anwhere 5.
> >
> > Are you able to consider moving to a newer version of SQL Anywhere? The
> > currently active versions are ASA7,8, and 9.
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> >
> > Chris Keating
> > Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8
> >
> >
>
****************************************************************************
> > *
> > Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer
Edition
> > and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and small
to
> > medium sized business environments for free!
> >
> > http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html
> >
> >
>
****************************************************************************
> > *
> >
> > iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com
> >
> > ** Please only post to the newsgroup
> >
> > ** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
> > ** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
> > ** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com
> >
> >
>
****************************************************************************
> > *
> >
> > <jpvarma@eckerd.com> wrote in message
> > news:3fb55646.4102.1681692777@sybase.com...
> > > How do I connect from UNIX AIX 4.3 to database Sybase SQL
> > > Anywhere 5.5.0 which is based on Windows NT.
> > >
> > > My basic purpose is to load data from Sybase SQL Anywhere
> > > 5.5.0(on Windows NT) to Oracle 8i (Unix AIX 4.3) on a
> > > periodic basis. If the connectivity between sybase sql
> > > anywhere and Oracle is too much of work, then I would like
> > > to explore the next option of connecting to SQL Anywhere
> > > database server from the Unix AIX box where I can take the
> > > data extract from the database.
> > >
> > > Could you please suggest me as to how I can achieve this.
> > > Would really appreciate.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -- Jitu Varma
> > > Eckerd Corporation.
> > > 727/395-4445
> >
> >
>
>