Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

SybaseCentral 4.2 won't start

5 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2003-12-01 07:09:29.0Z
Gary Posted on 2003-11-17 05:38:33.0Z
From: Gary <gary002@sbcglobal.net>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030612
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: SybaseCentral 4.2 won't start
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: adsl-64-161-30-229.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: adsl-64-161-30-229.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net
Message-ID: <3fb85ed9$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 16 Nov 2003 21:38:33 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1069047513 64.161.30.229 (16 Nov 2003 21:38:33 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 16 Nov 2003 21:38:33 -0800, adsl-64-161-30-229.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net
Lines: 26
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:2090
Article PK: 4307

I just installed developers edition of iAnywhere 9.0 on my XP machine
but when I tried to start SybaseCental I got an error:

The Adaptive Server Anywhere 9 plug-in failed to startup properly and
could not be loaded.

The stack trace shows following:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: ianywhere/ml/jdbcodbc/ASAMessageHandler
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at com.sybase.central.viewer.SCClassLoader.findClass(SCClassLoader.java:182)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
....

I have combed through all jar files in installation and found package
ianywhere/ml/jdbcodbc in jodbc.jar in java directory but
ASAMessageHandler class is not there. I did however find this class in
com.sybase.asiq package under deployment\Objects\JavaTools directory

Have someone else encountered this problem and how did you resolve it?
Did I screw up installation somehow? I doubt it because except changing
installation directory I excepted all defaults.


Ki Posted on 2003-11-20 23:20:39.0Z
Sender: 7acc.3fbd4d5d.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Ki
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: SybaseCentral 4.2 won't start
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1s
Message-ID: <3fbd4dad.7ad7.846930886@sybase.com>
References: <3fb85ed9$1@forums-1-dub>
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.42
X-Original-Trace: 20 Nov 2003 15:26:37 -0800, 10.22.241.42
Lines: 37
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 20 Nov 2003 15:10:51 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 20 Nov 2003 15:20:39 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1069370439 10.22.108.75 (20 Nov 2003 15:20:39 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 20 Nov 2003 15:20:39 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:2116
Article PK: 4332

Hi,
I got the same thing. All I did is reboot my machine and it
was fine.

Hope this help.

Ki.

> I just installed developers edition of iAnywhere 9.0 on my
> XP machine but when I tried to start SybaseCental I got an
> error:
>
> The Adaptive Server Anywhere 9 plug-in failed to startup
> properly and could not be loaded.
>
> The stack trace shows following:
>
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> ianywhere/ml/jdbcodbc/ASAMessageHandler at
> java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method) at
> java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source) at
> java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source) at
> com.sybase.central.viewer.SCClassLoader.findClass(SCClassL
> oader.java:182) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown
> Source) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
> ....
>
> I have combed through all jar files in installation and
> found package ianywhere/ml/jdbcodbc in jodbc.jar in java
> directory but ASAMessageHandler class is not there. I did
> however find this class in com.sybase.asiq package under
> deployment\Objects\JavaTools directory
>
> Have someone else encountered this problem and how did you
> resolve it? Did I screw up installation somehow? I doubt
> it because except changing installation directory I
> excepted all defaults.
>


Gary Posted on 2003-11-23 05:47:02.0Z
From: Gary <gary002@sbcglobal.net>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030612
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: SybaseCentral 4.2 won't start
References: <3fb85ed9$1@forums-1-dub> <3fbd4dad.7ad7.846930886@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <3fbd4dad.7ad7.846930886@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: adsl-64-174-90-58.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: adsl-64-174-90-58.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net
Message-ID: <3fc049d6$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 22 Nov 2003 21:47:02 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1069566422 64.174.90.58 (22 Nov 2003 21:47:02 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 22 Nov 2003 21:47:02 -0800, adsl-64-174-90-58.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net
Lines: 48
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:2122
Article PK: 4338


Ki wrote:
> Hi,
> I got the same thing. All I did is reboot my machine and it
> was fine.
>
> Hope this help.
>
> Ki.
>

It did not work for me.
I rebooted several times since installation but neither SybaseCentral
nor isql won't work. However I can establish ODBC connection with
Powerdesigner. The problem is in misplaced Java class.
I'll try to reinstall the whole thing and see if it will work.

Gary,

>>I just installed developers edition of iAnywhere 9.0 on my
>>XP machine but when I tried to start SybaseCental I got an
>>error:
>>
>>The Adaptive Server Anywhere 9 plug-in failed to startup
>>properly and could not be loaded.
>>
>>The stack trace shows following:
>>
>>java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>>ianywhere/ml/jdbcodbc/ASAMessageHandler at
>>java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method) at
>>java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source) at
>>java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source) at
>>com.sybase.central.viewer.SCClassLoader.findClass(SCClassL
>>oader.java:182) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown
>>Source) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>>....
>>
>>I have combed through all jar files in installation and
>>found package ianywhere/ml/jdbcodbc in jodbc.jar in java
>>directory but ASAMessageHandler class is not there. I did
>>however find this class in com.sybase.asiq package under
>>deployment\Objects\JavaTools directory
>>
>>Have someone else encountered this problem and how did you
>>resolve it? Did I screw up installation somehow? I doubt
>>it because except changing installation directory I
>>excepted all defaults.
>>


Reg Domaratzki Posted on 2003-11-24 14:41:08.0Z
From: "Reg Domaratzki" <Spam_bad_rdomarat@ianywhere.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <3fb85ed9$1@forums-1-dub> <3fbd4dad.7ad7.846930886@sybase.com> <3fc049d6$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: SybaseCentral 4.2 won't start
Lines: 67
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
NNTP-Posting-Host: rdomarat-pc.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: rdomarat-pc.sybase.com
Message-ID: <3fc21884$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 24 Nov 2003 06:41:08 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1069684868 172.31.143.163 (24 Nov 2003 06:41:08 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 24 Nov 2003 06:41:08 -0800, rdomarat-pc.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:2124
Article PK: 4340

Gary, try typing "scjview -batch". This will create a batch file in the
current directory called sybasecentral.bat that shows the exact command line
used to start Sybase Central. You can often spot obvious problems in the
command line that point to non-existent DLLs or JREs.

--
Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions
Sybase Certified Professional - Sybase ASA Developer Version 8
Please reply only to the newsgroup

iAnywhere Developer Community : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
-> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
-> Set "Platform Preview" and "Time Frame" to ALL

"Gary" <gary002@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:3fc049d6$1@forums-1-dub...
> Ki wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I got the same thing. All I did is reboot my machine and it
> > was fine.
> >
> > Hope this help.
> >
> > Ki.
> >
> It did not work for me.
> I rebooted several times since installation but neither SybaseCentral
> nor isql won't work. However I can establish ODBC connection with
> Powerdesigner. The problem is in misplaced Java class.
> I'll try to reinstall the whole thing and see if it will work.
>
> Gary,
>
> >>I just installed developers edition of iAnywhere 9.0 on my
> >>XP machine but when I tried to start SybaseCental I got an
> >>error:
> >>
> >>The Adaptive Server Anywhere 9 plug-in failed to startup
> >>properly and could not be loaded.
> >>
> >>The stack trace shows following:
> >>
> >>java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> >>ianywhere/ml/jdbcodbc/ASAMessageHandler at
> >>java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method) at
> >>java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source) at
> >>java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source) at
> >>com.sybase.central.viewer.SCClassLoader.findClass(SCClassL
> >>oader.java:182) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown
> >>Source) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
> >>....
> >>
> >>I have combed through all jar files in installation and
> >>found package ianywhere/ml/jdbcodbc in jodbc.jar in java
> >>directory but ASAMessageHandler class is not there. I did
> >>however find this class in com.sybase.asiq package under
> >>deployment\Objects\JavaTools directory
> >>
> >>Have someone else encountered this problem and how did you
> >>resolve it? Did I screw up installation somehow? I doubt
> >>it because except changing installation directory I
> >>excepted all defaults.
> >>
>


Gary Posted on 2003-12-01 07:09:29.0Z
From: Gary <gary002@sbcglobal.net>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030612
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: SybaseCentral 4.2 won't start
References: <3fb85ed9$1@forums-1-dub> <3fbd4dad.7ad7.846930886@sybase.com> <3fc049d6$1@forums-1-dub> <3fc21884$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <3fc21884$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: adsl-64-161-31-81.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: adsl-64-161-31-81.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net
Message-ID: <3fcae929$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 30 Nov 2003 23:09:29 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1070262569 64.161.31.81 (30 Nov 2003 23:09:29 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 30 Nov 2003 23:09:29 -0800, adsl-64-161-31-81.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net
Lines: 19
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:2144
Article PK: 4354


Reg Domaratzki wrote:
> Gary, try typing "scjview -batch". This will create a batch file in the
> current directory called sybasecentral.bat that shows the exact command line
> used to start Sybase Central. You can often spot obvious problems in the
> command line that point to non-existent DLLs or JREs.
>

I have resolved the problem.
I did reinstall studio several times but it did not help.
I then uninstalled it and went into regedit and search for all sybase
related records. I found several entries related to both SybaseCentral
4,2 and 4.1 (I uninstalled version 8 before starting my first installation).
After I manually deleted all related registry records and installed ASA
Studio 9 from scratch it started working.

Apparently uninstall is not doing a thorough clean job. This for for
others to remember and for iAnywhere people to fix.

Gary.