Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Scheduled task not working

9 posts in Replication Last posting was on 2004-01-08 00:47:57.0Z
Dusty Carnahan Posted on 2004-01-01 02:29:52.0Z
From: "Dusty Carnahan" <dusty@nationalcorp.com>
Newsgroups: advantage.Replication
Subject: Scheduled task not working
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 21:29:52 -0500
Lines: 33
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
NNTP-Posting-Host: 68.34.28.222
Message-ID: <3ff3871c@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 31 Dec 2003 19:34:04 -0700, 68.34.28.222
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!68.34.28.222
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Replication:45
Article PK: 1133902

I want to automate the sync of two databases between two servers ... on
server A I have installed XTNDConnect and configured it ... on server B I
have installed the WindowsClient ...

The sync works properly when I click on the WindowClient icon, select
Connect ... but the sync does not work from the scheduler using the default
command line of

"C:\Program Files\Extended Systems\XTNDConnect Windows
Client\WindowsClient.exe" -z -d UIRunShowNone -c

I have tried the WindowsClient from the command line but it does not
function ... looking in the documentation I cannot find any reference for
the command line switches so I'm not sure if the switches are correct or
not; I am assuming they are since they were auto-generated by the install
wizard ...

I was thinking the issue may be with the password but I checked the server
and on both the Database Adapter and Windows Client Adapter the "Blank
Password" and "Allow saving password" are checked ... however, when I
manually run WindowsClient and select Connect the Login Server Credentials
has the "Save Password" grayed out ... there is no password required to log
in ...

Any help or guidance would be appreciated ...


Thanks

Dusty


Joachim Duerr (ADS Support) Posted on 2004-01-02 08:22:55.0Z
From: "Joachim Duerr (ADS Support)" <jojo.duerr@gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Scheduled task not working
Newsgroups: Advantage.Replication
References: <3ff3871c@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Organization: Extended Systems GmbH
User-Agent: XanaNews/1.15.8.5
X-Face: ,QMv7[luB)BpWAQ~:"kw6n%0ieY63.:g2K3n~8ky0;||5Xle*Xq+=~<Fy:0CVC2nx@8~vZ
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
NNTP-Posting-Host: 195.2.185.25
Message-ID: <3ff52a5f@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Date: 2 Jan 2004 01:22:55 -0700
X-Trace: 2 Jan 2004 01:22:55 -0700, 195.2.185.25
Lines: 18
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!195.2.185.25
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Replication:46
Article PK: 1133903


Dusty Carnahan wrote in <3ff3871c@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> :

> I was thinking the issue may be with the password but I checked the
> server and on both the Database Adapter and Windows Client Adapter
> the "Blank Password" and "Allow saving password" are checked ...
> however, when I manually run WindowsClient and select Connect the
> Login Server Credentials has the "Save Password" grayed out ... there
> is no password required to log in ...

You need to check 'allow save password' in the server configuration
(AFAIK in group properties).

--
Joachim Duerr
EMEA Lead ADS Support, Extended Systems GmbH, Germany
advantage[AT]extendsys.de
- posted with Xananews 1.15.8.5 -
!!! ADS 7 now available !!!


Joachim Duerr (ADS Support) Posted on 2004-01-02 08:24:27.0Z
From: "Joachim Duerr (ADS Support)" <jojo.duerr@gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Scheduled task not working
Newsgroups: Advantage.Replication
References: <3ff3871c@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff52a5f@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Organization: Extended Systems GmbH
User-Agent: XanaNews/1.15.8.5
X-Face: ,QMv7[luB)BpWAQ~:"kw6n%0ieY63.:g2K3n~8ky0;||5Xle*Xq+=~<Fy:0CVC2nx@8~vZ
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
NNTP-Posting-Host: 195.2.185.25
Message-ID: <3ff52abb@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Date: 2 Jan 2004 01:24:27 -0700
X-Trace: 2 Jan 2004 01:24:27 -0700, 195.2.185.25
Lines: 13
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!195.2.185.25
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Replication:47
Article PK: 1133904


I wrote in <3ff52a5f@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> :

> You need to check 'allow save password' in the server configuration
> (AFAIK in group properties).

forget it. I replied too fast. I see that you've already done that.

--
Joachim Duerr
EMEA Lead ADS Support, Extended Systems GmbH, Germany
advantage[AT]extendsys.de
- posted with Xananews 1.15.8.5 -
!!! ADS 7 now available !!!


Dusty Carnahan Posted on 2004-01-02 14:13:43.0Z
From: "Dusty Carnahan" <dusty@nationalcorp.com>
Newsgroups: Advantage.Replication
References: <3ff3871c@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff52a5f@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff52abb@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Subject: Re: Scheduled task not working
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 09:13:43 -0500
Lines: 27
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
NNTP-Posting-Host: 68.34.28.222
Message-ID: <3ff57d9a@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 2 Jan 2004 07:18:02 -0700, 68.34.28.222
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!68.34.28.222
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Replication:48
Article PK: 1133905

Joachim,

Can you tell me what the switches are for WindowsClient ? ...


Thanks

Dusty

"Joachim Duerr (ADS Support)" <jojo.duerr@gmx.de> wrote in message
news:3ff52abb@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...
> I wrote in <3ff52a5f@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> :
>
> > You need to check 'allow save password' in the server configuration
> > (AFAIK in group properties).
>
> forget it. I replied too fast. I see that you've already done that.
>
> --
> Joachim Duerr
> EMEA Lead ADS Support, Extended Systems GmbH, Germany
> advantage[AT]extendsys.de
> - posted with Xananews 1.15.8.5 -
> !!! ADS 7 now available !!!


Joachim Duerr (ADS Support) Posted on 2004-01-02 14:27:22.0Z
From: "Joachim Duerr (ADS Support)" <jojo.duerr@gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Scheduled task not working
Newsgroups: Advantage.Replication
References: <3ff3871c@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff52a5f@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff52abb@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff57d9a@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Organization: Extended Systems GmbH
User-Agent: XanaNews/1.15.8.5
X-Face: ,QMv7[luB)BpWAQ~:"kw6n%0ieY63.:g2K3n~8ky0;||5Xle*Xq+=~<Fy:0CVC2nx@8~vZ
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
NNTP-Posting-Host: 195.2.185.25
Message-ID: <3ff57fca@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Date: 2 Jan 2004 07:27:22 -0700
X-Trace: 2 Jan 2004 07:27:22 -0700, 195.2.185.25
Lines: 13
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!195.2.185.25
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Replication:49
Article PK: 1133906


Dusty Carnahan wrote in <3ff57d9a@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> :

> Can you tell me what the switches are for WindowsClient ? ...

They should be listed in the (w32 client) help file. I've currently no
actual installation of the replication stuff.

--
Joachim Duerr
EMEA Lead ADS Support, Extended Systems GmbH, Germany
advantage[AT]extendsys.de
- posted with Xananews 1.15.8.5 -
!!! ADS 7 now available !!!


Dusty Carnahan Posted on 2004-01-02 18:33:02.0Z
From: "Dusty Carnahan" <dusty@nationalcorp.com>
Newsgroups: Advantage.Replication
References: <3ff3871c@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff52a5f@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff52abb@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff57d9a@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff57fca@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Subject: Re: Scheduled task not working
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 13:33:02 -0500
Lines: 37
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
NNTP-Posting-Host: 68.34.28.222
Message-ID: <3ff5ba5f@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 2 Jan 2004 11:37:19 -0700, 68.34.28.222
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!68.34.28.222
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Replication:51
Article PK: 1133907

The problem is with the password ... if I use the -u adssys -p ""
switches the system operates properly ... I should note that the -c switch
MUST be the last switch entered in on the command line ...

The server is set with both the "Blank password" and "Allow saving
password" checkboxes checked for both the Database Adapter and the Windows
Client Adapter ...

Any ideas as to why I need to pass the username and password inthe
command line ? ... digging thru the docs I am lead to believe that doing so
shouldn't be required ... not a big deal now that I have a viable workaround
...


Thanks

Dusty

"Joachim Duerr (ADS Support)" <jojo.duerr@gmx.de> wrote in message
news:3ff57fca@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...
> Dusty Carnahan wrote in <3ff57d9a@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> :
>
> > Can you tell me what the switches are for WindowsClient ? ...
>
> They should be listed in the (w32 client) help file. I've currently no
> actual installation of the replication stuff.
>
> --
> Joachim Duerr
> EMEA Lead ADS Support, Extended Systems GmbH, Germany
> advantage[AT]extendsys.de
> - posted with Xananews 1.15.8.5 -
> !!! ADS 7 now available !!!


Lance Hale Posted on 2004-01-05 23:34:45.0Z
From: "Lance Hale" <lance.hale@extendedsystems.com>
Newsgroups: Advantage.Replication
References: <3ff3871c@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff52a5f@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff52abb@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff57d9a@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff57fca@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff5ba5f@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Subject: Re: Scheduled task not working
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 16:34:45 -0700
Lines: 67
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
NNTP-Posting-Host: 198.102.102.233
Message-ID: <3ff9f632@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 5 Jan 2004 16:41:38 -0700, 198.102.102.233
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!198.102.102.233
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Replication:53
Article PK: 1133910

There are two tiers of authentication - one to authenticate to the
XTNDConnect Server and the other to connect to the database. The checkboxes
you selected in the Database Adapter and in the Windows Client Adapter are
for the second (database) tier. In Admin if you open up the Starter Group
or whichever group is being used, you will see an option to allow saving the
password on the device. Device really refers to the Windows Client in your
case. This option deals with the first tier (XTDNConnect Server)
authentication. If this is selected, then the "Save password" option on the
client should be enabled. You can then manually sync the servers and the
password should be saved. If it is stored on the device, then the original
commandline you used will work.

If the password is not saved on the device, then it must be supplied in the
command line. Failure to do so will result in the client process running
only momentarily and you will not see anything if the -d UIRunShowNone
parameter is used. If you open up the XTNDConnect Log Viewer, there should
be an entry indicating that the password was incorrect.

You are absolutely correct that the -c must be last. Command line
parameters are processed in the order they appear, so you can connect more
than one time if desired. For more information, look under "Command Line
Arguments" in the index of the help file.

"Dusty Carnahan" <dusty@nationalcorp.com> wrote in message
news:3ff5ba5f@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...
>
> The problem is with the password ... if I use the -u adssys -p ""
> switches the system operates properly ... I should note that the -c switch
> MUST be the last switch entered in on the command line ...
>
> The server is set with both the "Blank password" and "Allow saving
> password" checkboxes checked for both the Database Adapter and the Windows
> Client Adapter ...
>
> Any ideas as to why I need to pass the username and password inthe
> command line ? ... digging thru the docs I am lead to believe that doing
so
> shouldn't be required ... not a big deal now that I have a viable
workaround
> ...
>
>
> Thanks
>
> Dusty
>
>
> "Joachim Duerr (ADS Support)" <jojo.duerr@gmx.de> wrote in message
> news:3ff57fca@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...
> > Dusty Carnahan wrote in <3ff57d9a@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> :
> >
> > > Can you tell me what the switches are for WindowsClient ? ...
> >
> > They should be listed in the (w32 client) help file. I've currently no
> > actual installation of the replication stuff.
> >
> > --
> > Joachim Duerr
> > EMEA Lead ADS Support, Extended Systems GmbH, Germany
> > advantage[AT]extendsys.de
> > - posted with Xananews 1.15.8.5 -
> > !!! ADS 7 now available !!!
>
>


Dusty Carnahan Posted on 2004-01-08 00:47:57.0Z
From: "Dusty Carnahan" <dusty@nationalcorp.com>
Newsgroups: Advantage.Replication
References: <3ff3871c@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff52a5f@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff52abb@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff57d9a@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff57fca@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff5ba5f@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff9f632@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Subject: Re: Scheduled task not working
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 19:47:57 -0500
Lines: 89
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
NNTP-Posting-Host: 68.34.28.222
Message-ID: <3ffca9db@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 7 Jan 2004 17:52:43 -0700, 68.34.28.222
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!68.34.28.222
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Replication:57
Article PK: 1133915

Thanks Lance ... I tried the password box that you described and this
seems to be a hit or miss thing in that sometimes the password at the client
is grayed out and other times it is not ... but the command line works each
and every time without issue ...

Dusty

"Lance Hale" <lance.hale@extendedsystems.com> wrote in message
news:3ff9f632@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...
> There are two tiers of authentication - one to authenticate to the
> XTNDConnect Server and the other to connect to the database. The
checkboxes
> you selected in the Database Adapter and in the Windows Client Adapter are
> for the second (database) tier. In Admin if you open up the Starter Group
> or whichever group is being used, you will see an option to allow saving
the
> password on the device. Device really refers to the Windows Client in
your
> case. This option deals with the first tier (XTDNConnect Server)
> authentication. If this is selected, then the "Save password" option on
the
> client should be enabled. You can then manually sync the servers and the
> password should be saved. If it is stored on the device, then the
original
> commandline you used will work.
>
> If the password is not saved on the device, then it must be supplied in
the
> command line. Failure to do so will result in the client process running
> only momentarily and you will not see anything if the -d UIRunShowNone
> parameter is used. If you open up the XTNDConnect Log Viewer, there
should
> be an entry indicating that the password was incorrect.
>
> You are absolutely correct that the -c must be last. Command line
> parameters are processed in the order they appear, so you can connect more
> than one time if desired. For more information, look under "Command Line
> Arguments" in the index of the help file.
>
>
> "Dusty Carnahan" <dusty@nationalcorp.com> wrote in message
> news:3ff5ba5f@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...
> >
> > The problem is with the password ... if I use the -u adssys -p ""
> > switches the system operates properly ... I should note that the -c
switch
> > MUST be the last switch entered in on the command line ...
> >
> > The server is set with both the "Blank password" and "Allow saving
> > password" checkboxes checked for both the Database Adapter and the
Windows
> > Client Adapter ...
> >
> > Any ideas as to why I need to pass the username and password inthe
> > command line ? ... digging thru the docs I am lead to believe that doing
> so
> > shouldn't be required ... not a big deal now that I have a viable
> workaround
> > ...
> >
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Dusty
> >
> >
> > "Joachim Duerr (ADS Support)" <jojo.duerr@gmx.de> wrote in message
> > news:3ff57fca@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...
> > > Dusty Carnahan wrote in <3ff57d9a@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> :
> > >
> > > > Can you tell me what the switches are for WindowsClient ? ...
> > >
> > > They should be listed in the (w32 client) help file. I've currently no
> > > actual installation of the replication stuff.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Joachim Duerr
> > > EMEA Lead ADS Support, Extended Systems GmbH, Germany
> > > advantage[AT]extendsys.de
> > > - posted with Xananews 1.15.8.5 -
> > > !!! ADS 7 now available !!!
> >
> >
>
>


Dusty Carnahan Posted on 2004-01-02 17:18:51.0Z
From: "Dusty Carnahan" <dusty@nationalcorp.com>
Newsgroups: Advantage.Replication
References: <3ff3871c@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff52a5f@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff52abb@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff57d9a@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <3ff57fca@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Subject: Re: Scheduled task not working
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 12:18:51 -0500
Lines: 29
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
NNTP-Posting-Host: 68.34.28.222
Message-ID: <3ff5a8ef@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 2 Jan 2004 10:22:55 -0700, 68.34.28.222
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!68.34.28.222
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Replication:50
Article PK: 1133908

Thanks, I just tracked the switches down ... they are listed in the
admin guide for the XCS.exe program; I am assuming they will function the
same way for the WindowsClient.exe program ...

Any ideas on what to look for to get the scheduled task running properly
? ... I was going to test using the command line switches to force the
password; I'm still thinking the issue is with the password ...

"Joachim Duerr (ADS Support)" <jojo.duerr@gmx.de> wrote in message
news:3ff57fca@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...
> Dusty Carnahan wrote in <3ff57d9a@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> :
>
> > Can you tell me what the switches are for WindowsClient ? ...
>
> They should be listed in the (w32 client) help file. I've currently no
> actual installation of the replication stuff.
>
> --
> Joachim Duerr
> EMEA Lead ADS Support, Extended Systems GmbH, Germany
> advantage[AT]extendsys.de
> - posted with Xananews 1.15.8.5 -
> !!! ADS 7 now available !!!