Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

high CPU Usage (100%) (ASA 8)

6 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2004-01-20 12:15:14.0Z
Kumar Posted on 2004-01-16 12:33:47.0Z
Sender: 6771.4007d873.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Kumar
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: high CPU Usage (100%) (ASA 8)
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1s
Message-ID: <4007da2b.677a.846930886@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 16 Jan 2004 04:33:47 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1074256427 10.22.241.41 (16 Jan 2004 04:33:47 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 16 Jan 2004 04:33:47 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 17
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:2318
Article PK: 4526

Hi,

I am using ASA 8.0.1 on WIN 2000 with SP3. There are some
big programs/reports written in PB, earlier these programs
use to take 2 hours or more, but since I have upgraded
database server to 8.0.1, dbsrv exe takes 95-100% CPU on
server and it return result in 30min or around that time,
but other side server don't share the CPU with new requests.
It takes very long time to connect for other users when we
run these reports.

Any idea why ASA server is not sharing CPU or taking entire
CPU?

Regards,

Kumar


"Michael Gould" <mgould Posted on 2004-01-16 14:08:50.0Z
From: "Michael Gould" <mgould@*I*h*a*t*e*s**p$a*m*omnicc.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <4007da2b.677a.846930886@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: high CPU Usage (100%) (ASA 8)
Lines: 25
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
NNTP-Posting-Host: www.freight-aid.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: www.freight-aid.com
Message-ID: <4007f072$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 16 Jan 2004 06:08:50 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1074262130 68.213.66.210 (16 Jan 2004 06:08:50 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 16 Jan 2004 06:08:50 -0800, www.freight-aid.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:2322
Article PK: 4528

It seems to me that this was reported and fixed in a later release of
version 8. I'd try updating to 8.0.2 and the latest EBF and try again.

Michael Gould

<Kumar> wrote in message news:4007da2b.677a.846930886@sybase.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am using ASA 8.0.1 on WIN 2000 with SP3. There are some
> big programs/reports written in PB, earlier these programs
> use to take 2 hours or more, but since I have upgraded
> database server to 8.0.1, dbsrv exe takes 95-100% CPU on
> server and it return result in 30min or around that time,
> but other side server don't share the CPU with new requests.
> It takes very long time to connect for other users when we
> run these reports.
>
> Any idea why ASA server is not sharing CPU or taking entire
> CPU?
>
> Regards,
>
> Kumar


anonymous Posted on 2004-01-19 11:08:18.0Z
From: "anonymous" <yadav.vk@mellonhris.com.sg>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <4007da2b.677a.846930886@sybase.com> <4007f072$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: high CPU Usage (100%) (ASA 8)
Lines: 33
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 202.148.175.68
Message-ID: <400bbcde$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 19 Jan 2004 03:17:50 -0800, 202.148.175.68
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 19 Jan 2004 02:52:38 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 19 Jan 2004 03:08:18 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1074510498 10.22.108.75 (19 Jan 2004 03:08:18 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 19 Jan 2004 03:08:18 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:2341
Article PK: 4545

Hi,

I have upgraded to latest EBF (4361), but still its same, 100% CPU.

"Michael Gould" <mgould@*I*h*a*t*e*s**p$a*m*omnicc.com> wrote in message
news:4007f072$1@forums-1-dub...
> It seems to me that this was reported and fixed in a later release of
> version 8. I'd try updating to 8.0.2 and the latest EBF and try again.
>
> Michael Gould
>
> <Kumar> wrote in message news:4007da2b.677a.846930886@sybase.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using ASA 8.0.1 on WIN 2000 with SP3. There are some
> > big programs/reports written in PB, earlier these programs
> > use to take 2 hours or more, but since I have upgraded
> > database server to 8.0.1, dbsrv exe takes 95-100% CPU on
> > server and it return result in 30min or around that time,
> > but other side server don't share the CPU with new requests.
> > It takes very long time to connect for other users when we
> > run these reports.
> >
> > Any idea why ASA server is not sharing CPU or taking entire
> > CPU?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Kumar
>
>


Piter Posted on 2004-01-19 13:30:44.0Z
From: "Piter" <piter@piter.pi>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <4007da2b.677a.846930886@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: high CPU Usage (100%) (ASA 8)
Lines: 25
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-uk-014.sybase.com
Message-ID: <400bde41$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 19 Jan 2004 05:40:17 -0800, vpn-uk-014.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 19 Jan 2004 05:15:04 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 19 Jan 2004 05:30:44 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1074519044 10.22.108.75 (19 Jan 2004 05:30:44 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 19 Jan 2004 05:30:44 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:2343
Article PK: 4548

may be this will help you : BACKGROUND_PRIORITY option ?

RTFM

<Kumar> wrote in message news:4007da2b.677a.846930886@sybase.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am using ASA 8.0.1 on WIN 2000 with SP3. There are some
> big programs/reports written in PB, earlier these programs
> use to take 2 hours or more, but since I have upgraded
> database server to 8.0.1, dbsrv exe takes 95-100% CPU on
> server and it return result in 30min or around that time,
> but other side server don't share the CPU with new requests.
> It takes very long time to connect for other users when we
> run these reports.
>
> Any idea why ASA server is not sharing CPU or taking entire
> CPU?
>
> Regards,
>
> Kumar


Kumar Posted on 2004-01-20 09:23:24.0Z
Sender: 33fc.400cf573.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Kumar
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: high CPU Usage (100%) (ASA 8)
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1s
Message-ID: <400cf5cd.3400.846930886@sybase.com>
References: <4007da2b.677a.846930886@sybase.com><400bde41$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.42
X-Original-Trace: 20 Jan 2004 01:33:01 -0800, 10.22.241.42
Lines: 27
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 20 Jan 2004 01:07:40 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 20 Jan 2004 01:23:24 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1074590604 10.22.108.75 (20 Jan 2004 01:23:24 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 20 Jan 2004 01:23:24 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:2348
Article PK: 4553

No change, still it takes entire CPU...

> may be this will help you : BACKGROUND_PRIORITY option ?
>
> RTFM
>
>
> <Kumar> wrote in message
> > news:4007da2b.677a.846930886@sybase.com... Hi,
> >
> > I am using ASA 8.0.1 on WIN 2000 with SP3. There are
> > some big programs/reports written in PB, earlier these
> > programs use to take 2 hours or more, but since I have
> > upgraded database server to 8.0.1, dbsrv exe takes
> > 95-100% CPU on server and it return result in 30min or
> > around that time, but other side server don't share the
> > CPU with new requests. It takes very long time to
> > connect for other users when we run these reports.
> >
> > Any idea why ASA server is not sharing CPU or taking
> > entire CPU?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Kumar
>
>


Breck Carter [TeamSybase] Posted on 2004-01-20 12:15:14.0Z
From: "Breck Carter [TeamSybase]" <NOSPAM__bcarter@risingroad.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: high CPU Usage (100%) (ASA 8)
Organization: RisingRoad Professional Services
Reply-To: NOSPAM__bcarter@risingroad.com
Message-ID: <im5q00potlv31unjpnomm3sq7d385ipbhl@4ax.com>
References: <4007da2b.677a.846930886@sybase.com><400bde41$1@forums-2-dub> <400cf5cd.3400.846930886@sybase.com>
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 1.8/32.548
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: bcarter.sentex.ca
X-Original-Trace: 20 Jan 2004 04:24:50 -0800, bcarter.sentex.ca
Lines: 45
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 20 Jan 2004 03:59:28 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 20 Jan 2004 04:15:14 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1074600914 10.22.108.75 (20 Jan 2004 04:15:14 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 20 Jan 2004 04:15:14 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:2349
Article PK: 4555

You can use the "request level logging" feature of the server to
create a trace file of all the SQL coming from the application, and
then the satmp_request_time stored procedure to calculate the elapsed
times of each query. Then have a look at the execution plans of the
longest queries to see why they are taking so long.

What is the OPTIMIZATION_GOAL setting? It probably should be set to
'All-rows'.

Breck

On 20 Jan 2004 01:23:24 -0800, Kumar wrote:

>No change, still it takes entire CPU...
>
>> may be this will help you : BACKGROUND_PRIORITY option ?
>>
>> RTFM
>>
>>
>> <Kumar> wrote in message
>> > news:4007da2b.677a.846930886@sybase.com... Hi,
>> >
>> > I am using ASA 8.0.1 on WIN 2000 with SP3. There are
>> > some big programs/reports written in PB, earlier these
>> > programs use to take 2 hours or more, but since I have
>> > upgraded database server to 8.0.1, dbsrv exe takes
>> > 95-100% CPU on server and it return result in 30min or
>> > around that time, but other side server don't share the
>> > CPU with new requests. It takes very long time to
>> > connect for other users when we run these reports.
>> >
>> > Any idea why ASA server is not sharing CPU or taking
>> > entire CPU?
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Kumar
>>
>>

--
bcarter@risingroad.com
Mobile and Distributed Enterprise Database Applications
www.risingroad.com