Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

ASA 7.0.4.3345 performance on Solaris 9

4 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2004-01-26 14:39:18.0Z
Mahesh Bhagat Posted on 2004-01-23 00:44:33.0Z
Reply-To: "Mahesh Bhagat" <mbhagat@proactivenet.com>
From: "Mahesh Bhagat" <mbhagat@proactivenet.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: ASA 7.0.4.3345 performance on Solaris 9
Lines: 20
Organization: ProactiveNet, Inc
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 209.11.112.234
Message-ID: <401070ba$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 22 Jan 2004 16:54:18 -0800, 209.11.112.234
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 22 Jan 2004 16:28:31 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 22 Jan 2004 16:44:33 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1074818673 10.22.108.75 (22 Jan 2004 16:44:33 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 22 Jan 2004 16:44:33 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:2375
Article PK: 4580

We tried dbload test on 3 machines with same disk and same CPU configuration
using ASA 7.0.4.3345. All are Ultra10 machines with internal IDE drive 5400
RPM with 8GB capcity.

Here are results for generating 3.9GB DB file:

Solaris 9: 23 hours 29 minutes
Solaris 8: 6 hours 31 minutes
Solaris 7: 7 hours 5 minutes

Though ASA support matrix does not claim to support Solaris 9, I had ASA
product manager assure me that it would be supported when solaris 9 was
released in Summer 2002.

Has anyone seen this type of performance degradation with ASA 7.0.4 running
on Solaris 9 ?

Thanks,


Robert Waywell Posted on 2004-01-23 15:55:54.0Z
From: "Robert Waywell" <nospam_rwaywell@ianywhere.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <401070ba$1@forums-2-dub>
Subject: Re: ASA 7.0.4.3345 performance on Solaris 9
Lines: 70
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: rwaywell-pc.sybase.com
Message-ID: <40114655$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 23 Jan 2004 08:05:41 -0800, rwaywell-pc.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 23 Jan 2004 07:39:48 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 23 Jan 2004 07:55:54 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1074873354 10.22.108.75 (23 Jan 2004 07:55:54 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 23 Jan 2004 07:55:54 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:2379
Article PK: 4584

What other testing have you done between Solaris 7, 8 & 9?
Have you ruled out disk fragmentation or other issues between your test
machines?
As presented the constant factor is the version and build of ASA that you
are running, the simplest explanation is that you are demonstrating a
difference between the test machines which could be related to the OS
version but is more likely related to factors such as disk fragmentation and
other applications running on the machine.

At the same time, as you alluded to, the supported platforms matrix
(http://www.ianywhere.com/products/supported_platforms.html) clearly states
that the first version of ASA that was supported on Solaris 9 was the 8.0.2
release. While I was not a party to your discussion with Product Management
2 years ago, I suspect that the intended message was that iAnywhere would
support a version of ASA on Solaris 9, not that we would specifically
support 7.0.4 on Solaris 9.

Have you tested either ASA 8.0.2 or ASA 9.0 on Solaris 9? If so, what were
the results compared to 7.0.4?

--
-----------------------------------------------
Robert Waywell
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - Version 8
Sybase Certified Professional

Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions

Please respond ONLY to newsgroup

EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all

To Submit Bug Reports:
http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=B
ug

SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288

Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere
Developer Community at www.ianywhere.com/developer

"Mahesh Bhagat" <mbhagat@proactivenet.com> wrote in message
news:401070ba$1@forums-2-dub...
> We tried dbload test on 3 machines with same disk and same CPU
configuration
> using ASA 7.0.4.3345. All are Ultra10 machines with internal IDE drive
5400
> RPM with 8GB capcity.
>
> Here are results for generating 3.9GB DB file:
>
> Solaris 9: 23 hours 29 minutes
> Solaris 8: 6 hours 31 minutes
> Solaris 7: 7 hours 5 minutes
>
> Though ASA support matrix does not claim to support Solaris 9, I had ASA
> product manager assure me that it would be supported when solaris 9 was
> released in Summer 2002.
>
> Has anyone seen this type of performance degradation with ASA 7.0.4
running
> on Solaris 9 ?
>
> Thanks,
>
>


Mahesh Bhagat Posted on 2004-01-23 22:35:33.0Z
Reply-To: "Mahesh Bhagat" <mbhagat@proactivenet.com>
From: "Mahesh Bhagat" <mbhagat@proactivenet.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <401070ba$1@forums-2-dub> <40114655$1@forums-2-dub>
Subject: Re: ASA 7.0.4.3345 performance on Solaris 9
Lines: 95
Organization: ProactiveNet, Inc
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
NNTP-Posting-Host: 209.11.112.234
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 209.11.112.234
Message-ID: <4011a1b5$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 23 Jan 2004 14:35:33 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1074897333 209.11.112.234 (23 Jan 2004 14:35:33 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 23 Jan 2004 14:35:33 -0800, 209.11.112.234
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:2383
Article PK: 4589

Hi Robert,

We have ruled out OS and hardware issues as follows:
1. Two of the customers running our product on Solaris 9 has reported poor
product performance.
2. We ran random file system read and write operation and found that the
performance is better on the same solaris machine than the other machines
running solaris 7 & 8.
3. We repeated same load exercise on two similar class Ultra10 machines
running solaris 9 using ASA 8.0.2_3608 and found the load performance to be
even worse than that with 7.0.4.3345.

All of the above indicates that there is something different on solaris 9
which has crippled ASA performance on solaris 9.

"Robert Waywell" <nospam_rwaywell@ianywhere.com> wrote in message
news:40114655$1@forums-2-dub...
> What other testing have you done between Solaris 7, 8 & 9?
> Have you ruled out disk fragmentation or other issues between your test
> machines?
> As presented the constant factor is the version and build of ASA that you
> are running, the simplest explanation is that you are demonstrating a
> difference between the test machines which could be related to the OS
> version but is more likely related to factors such as disk fragmentation
and
> other applications running on the machine.
>
> At the same time, as you alluded to, the supported platforms matrix
> (http://www.ianywhere.com/products/supported_platforms.html) clearly
states
> that the first version of ASA that was supported on Solaris 9 was the
8.0.2
> release. While I was not a party to your discussion with Product
Management
> 2 years ago, I suspect that the intended message was that iAnywhere would
> support a version of ASA on Solaris 9, not that we would specifically
> support 7.0.4 on Solaris 9.
>
> Have you tested either ASA 8.0.2 or ASA 9.0 on Solaris 9? If so, what were
> the results compared to 7.0.4?
>
> --
> -----------------------------------------------
> Robert Waywell
> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - Version 8
> Sybase Certified Professional
>
> Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions
>
> Please respond ONLY to newsgroup
>
> EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
> choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all
>
> To Submit Bug Reports:
>
http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=B
> ug
>
> SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
> http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288
>
> Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available through the
iAnywhere
> Developer Community at www.ianywhere.com/developer
>
> "Mahesh Bhagat" <mbhagat@proactivenet.com> wrote in message
> news:401070ba$1@forums-2-dub...
> > We tried dbload test on 3 machines with same disk and same CPU
> configuration
> > using ASA 7.0.4.3345. All are Ultra10 machines with internal IDE drive
> 5400
> > RPM with 8GB capcity.
> >
> > Here are results for generating 3.9GB DB file:
> >
> > Solaris 9: 23 hours 29 minutes
> > Solaris 8: 6 hours 31 minutes
> > Solaris 7: 7 hours 5 minutes
> >
> > Though ASA support matrix does not claim to support Solaris 9, I had ASA
> > product manager assure me that it would be supported when solaris 9 was
> > released in Summer 2002.
> >
> > Has anyone seen this type of performance degradation with ASA 7.0.4
> running
> > on Solaris 9 ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> >
>
>


Robert Waywell Posted on 2004-01-26 14:39:18.0Z
From: "Robert Waywell" <nospam_rwaywell@ianywhere.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <401070ba$1@forums-2-dub> <40114655$1@forums-2-dub> <4011a1b5$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: ASA 7.0.4.3345 performance on Solaris 9
Lines: 132
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000
NNTP-Posting-Host: rwaywell-pc.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: rwaywell-pc.sybase.com
Message-ID: <40152696$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 26 Jan 2004 06:39:18 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1075127958 172.31.142.236 (26 Jan 2004 06:39:18 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 26 Jan 2004 06:39:18 -0800, rwaywell-pc.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:2392
Article PK: 4595

Sounds like you have a reproducible case with 8.0.2 on Solaris 9 compared to
Solaris 8 that you can submit to Tech Support.

--
-----------------------------------------------
Robert Waywell
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - Version 8
Sybase Certified Professional

Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions

Please respond ONLY to newsgroup

EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all

To Submit Bug Reports:
http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=B
ug

SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288

Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere
Developer Community at www.ianywhere.com/developer

"Mahesh Bhagat" <mbhagat@proactivenet.com> wrote in message
news:4011a1b5$1@forums-1-dub...
> Hi Robert,
>
> We have ruled out OS and hardware issues as follows:
> 1. Two of the customers running our product on Solaris 9 has reported poor
> product performance.
> 2. We ran random file system read and write operation and found that the
> performance is better on the same solaris machine than the other machines
> running solaris 7 & 8.
> 3. We repeated same load exercise on two similar class Ultra10 machines
> running solaris 9 using ASA 8.0.2_3608 and found the load performance to
be
> even worse than that with 7.0.4.3345.
>
> All of the above indicates that there is something different on solaris 9
> which has crippled ASA performance on solaris 9.
>
> "Robert Waywell" <nospam_rwaywell@ianywhere.com> wrote in message
> news:40114655$1@forums-2-dub...
> > What other testing have you done between Solaris 7, 8 & 9?
> > Have you ruled out disk fragmentation or other issues between your test
> > machines?
> > As presented the constant factor is the version and build of ASA that
you
> > are running, the simplest explanation is that you are demonstrating a
> > difference between the test machines which could be related to the OS
> > version but is more likely related to factors such as disk fragmentation
> and
> > other applications running on the machine.
> >
> > At the same time, as you alluded to, the supported platforms matrix
> > (http://www.ianywhere.com/products/supported_platforms.html) clearly
> states
> > that the first version of ASA that was supported on Solaris 9 was the
> 8.0.2
> > release. While I was not a party to your discussion with Product
> Management
> > 2 years ago, I suspect that the intended message was that iAnywhere
would
> > support a version of ASA on Solaris 9, not that we would specifically
> > support 7.0.4 on Solaris 9.
> >
> > Have you tested either ASA 8.0.2 or ASA 9.0 on Solaris 9? If so, what
were
> > the results compared to 7.0.4?
> >
> > --
> > -----------------------------------------------
> > Robert Waywell
> > Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - Version 8
> > Sybase Certified Professional
> >
> > Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions
> >
> > Please respond ONLY to newsgroup
> >
> > EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
> > choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all
> >
> > To Submit Bug Reports:
> >
>
http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=B
> > ug
> >
> > SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
> > http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288
> >
> > Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available through the
> iAnywhere
> > Developer Community at www.ianywhere.com/developer
> >
> > "Mahesh Bhagat" <mbhagat@proactivenet.com> wrote in message
> > news:401070ba$1@forums-2-dub...
> > > We tried dbload test on 3 machines with same disk and same CPU
> > configuration
> > > using ASA 7.0.4.3345. All are Ultra10 machines with internal IDE drive
> > 5400
> > > RPM with 8GB capcity.
> > >
> > > Here are results for generating 3.9GB DB file:
> > >
> > > Solaris 9: 23 hours 29 minutes
> > > Solaris 8: 6 hours 31 minutes
> > > Solaris 7: 7 hours 5 minutes
> > >
> > > Though ASA support matrix does not claim to support Solaris 9, I had
ASA
> > > product manager assure me that it would be supported when solaris 9
was
> > > released in Summer 2002.
> > >
> > > Has anyone seen this type of performance degradation with ASA 7.0.4
> > running
> > > on Solaris 9 ?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>