Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Modal Windows launched in sequence.

14 posts in Objects Last posting was on 2004-02-12 16:47:28.0Z
Alex Castillo Posted on 2004-02-09 14:52:00.0Z
Sender: 2788.40279c04.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Alex Castillo
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
Subject: Modal Windows launched in sequence.
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1s
Message-ID: <40279e90.27b1.846930886@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 9 Feb 2004 06:52:00 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1076338320 10.22.241.41 (9 Feb 2004 06:52:00 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Feb 2004 06:52:00 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 22
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:7778
Article PK: 735054

Hi..!

I have a problem that I don't know how to solve. I'm using
Powerbuilder 7.0 and I wrote:

- Window A
- Window B

Both Windows have WindowType=Response! because I want that
as soon as anyone of them is launched, it can't loose its
focus... but I need Window A to be able to launch Window B
(which should return a value to be processed by Window A).

I tried using Open(Window_B) within Window A so I can launch
Window B, but then neither Window A or Window B can be
selected: I loose the control of both Windows.

Which is the proper way to solve this?

Thank you for tour help!

Alex.


Steve Katz [TeamSybase] Posted on 2004-02-09 16:05:01.0Z
Sender: 28e1.4027aef1.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Steve Katz [TeamSybase]
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
Subject: Re: Modal Windows launched in sequence.
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1s
Message-ID: <4027afad.28e9.846930886@sybase.com>
References: <40279e90.27b1.846930886@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 9 Feb 2004 08:05:01 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1076342701 10.22.241.41 (9 Feb 2004 08:05:01 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Feb 2004 08:05:01 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 28
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:7779
Article PK: 735053

You need to make sure when you open windowB that you specify
windowA as the parent.

steve
[TeamSybase]

> Hi..!
>
> I have a problem that I don't know how to solve. I'm using
> Powerbuilder 7.0 and I wrote:
>
> - Window A
> - Window B
>
> Both Windows have WindowType=Response! because I want that
> as soon as anyone of them is launched, it can't loose its
> focus... but I need Window A to be able to launch Window B
> (which should return a value to be processed by Window A).
>
> I tried using Open(Window_B) within Window A so I can
> launch Window B, but then neither Window A or Window B can
> be selected: I loose the control of both Windows.
>
> Which is the proper way to solve this?
>
> Thank you for tour help!
>
> Alex.


dhun_nada_ter Posted on 2004-02-09 17:36:16.0Z
From: dhun_nada_ter@mmm.com
Subject: Re: Modal Windows launched in sequence.
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
MIME-Version: 1.0
References: <40279e90.27b1.846930886@sybase.com>
X-Newsreader: Lotus Notes Release 5.0.9a January 7, 2002
X-MIMETrack: Serialize by Notes Client on Doug Hunter/US-Corporate/3M/US(Release 5.0.9a |January 7, 2002) at 02/09/2004 11:17:45 AM, Serialize complete at 02/09/2004 11:17:45 AM
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 169.10.78.217
Message-ID: <4027c799$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 9 Feb 2004 09:47:05 -0800, 169.10.78.217
Lines: 21
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 9 Feb 2004 09:18:30 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 9 Feb 2004 09:36:16 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1076348176 10.22.108.75 (9 Feb 2004 09:36:16 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Feb 2004 09:36:16 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:7780
Article PK: 735055

I really think that you are asking for trouble with this scenario.

The PB description for Response type windows is.

Response A window that displays to obtain information from the user
and cannot lose focus or be closed until the user responds.

And if it's never supposed to lose focus and you open a second one of the
same type, they are going to be beating each other up over who has focus
and no one is going to get focus. I suspect that Terry is correct and
that if youve got the parent set up "just right" things might work, but I
wouldn't bet on that remaining true if Sybase ever needs to revisit it's
impementation of application modal windows.

It's be like trying to bring up two system modal messageboxes at the same
moment.. The system should prevent it, but when it is unable to the
results are unpredicatable and never pretty.

Is there any way you can handle the tasks you are using Window B for
within Window A? Perhaps adding a tabed interface and doing it something
like a wizard?


Alex Castillo Posted on 2004-02-09 18:30:08.0Z
From: "Alex Castillo" <klmAlexCast_SlwMx@HotMail.Com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
References: <40279e90.27b1.846930886@sybase.com> <4027c799$1@forums-2-dub>
Subject: Re: Modal Windows launched in sequence.
Lines: 52
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: cpe-24-221-80-131.mi.sprintbbd.net
Message-ID: <4027d43b@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 9 Feb 2004 10:40:59 -0800, cpe-24-221-80-131.mi.sprintbbd.net
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 9 Feb 2004 10:12:23 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 9 Feb 2004 10:30:08 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1076351408 10.22.108.75 (9 Feb 2004 10:30:08 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Feb 2004 10:30:08 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:7781
Article PK: 735057

Thank you for your advise..!

Well, let me tell you what I'm trying to do, maybe you can give me some good
advise on how to implement it properly.

I created a Window that displays a list of customers which can open in two
modes: 'Maintenance to Customer Catalog' and 'Select Customer'. In its Open
event, I placed code to enable the proper buttons ('cb_Add', 'cb_Delete' and
'cb_Edit´) for 'Maintenance...' mode and ('cb_Select') for 'Select...' mode.
This is a Response! Window, because I don't want the user to be able to do
anything else until (s)he closes it.

When this Window is launched in 'Select...' mode, it allows the user to
select a Customer and then the window CloseWithReturn() returning the Code
of the selected Customer.

But when this Window is launched in 'Maintenance...' mode, it would allow
the user to edit or delete Customers on the list, plus create new ones. In
order to do so, it needs to launch another Window, that I want to be
Response! too, that allow the user to show the selected Customer data for
edit or confirm deletion, or enter data for a new one.

How would you do that?

Thank you for your help!

Alex

<dhun_nada_ter@mmm.com> wrote in message news:4027c799$1@forums-2-dub...
> I really think that you are asking for trouble with this scenario.
>
> The PB description for Response type windows is.
>
> Response A window that displays to obtain information from the user
> and cannot lose focus or be closed until the user responds.
>
> And if it's never supposed to lose focus and you open a second one of the
> same type, they are going to be beating each other up over who has focus
> and no one is going to get focus. I suspect that Terry is correct and
> that if youve got the parent set up "just right" things might work, but I
> wouldn't bet on that remaining true if Sybase ever needs to revisit it's
> impementation of application modal windows.
>
> It's be like trying to bring up two system modal messageboxes at the same
> moment.. The system should prevent it, but when it is unable to the
> results are unpredicatable and never pretty.
>
> Is there any way you can handle the tasks you are using Window B for
> within Window A? Perhaps adding a tabed interface and doing it something
> like a wizard?


dhun_nada_ter Posted on 2004-02-09 19:15:26.0Z
From: dhun_nada_ter@mmm.com
Subject: Re: Modal Windows launched in sequence.
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
MIME-Version: 1.0
References: <40279e90.27b1.846930886@sybase.com> <4027c799$1@forums-2-dub> <4027d43b@forums-2-dub>
X-Newsreader: Lotus Notes Release 5.0.9a January 7, 2002
X-MIMETrack: Serialize by Notes Client on Doug Hunter/US-Corporate/3M/US(Release 5.0.9a |January 7, 2002) at 02/09/2004 12:57:37 PM, Serialize complete at 02/09/2004 12:57:37 PM
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 169.10.78.217
Message-ID: <4027ded5$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 9 Feb 2004 11:26:13 -0800, 169.10.78.217
Lines: 13
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 9 Feb 2004 10:57:39 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 9 Feb 2004 11:15:26 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1076354126 10.22.108.75 (9 Feb 2004 11:15:26 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Feb 2004 11:15:26 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:7782
Article PK: 735060

Alex,

I don't think I would attempt to use this same window for both purposes.

I can certainly see where the select functionality requires a response
window, you don't want to do anything else before a customer has been
selected.

But in the maintenance mode doesn't really have the same requirement does it? Is there any
reason why a user couldn't be switching around between two or three other
windows while they are maintaining the customer data? If you make this
one a sheet, then the call from the sheet to a confirmation response
window can be performed without any conflicts at all.


Alex Castillo Posted on 2004-02-09 20:30:06.0Z
From: "Alex Castillo" <klmAlexCast_SlwMx@HotMail.Com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
References: <40279e90.27b1.846930886@sybase.com> <4027c799$1@forums-2-dub> <4027d43b@forums-2-dub> <4027ded5$1@forums-2-dub>
Subject: Re: Modal Windows launched in sequence.
Lines: 21
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: cpe-24-221-80-131.mi.sprintbbd.net
Message-ID: <4027f056$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 9 Feb 2004 12:40:54 -0800, cpe-24-221-80-131.mi.sprintbbd.net
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 9 Feb 2004 12:12:19 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 9 Feb 2004 12:30:06 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1076358606 10.22.108.75 (9 Feb 2004 12:30:06 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Feb 2004 12:30:06 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:7783
Article PK: 735058

Good point... I'll better re-think the design I'm using.

Alex.

<dhun_nada_ter@mmm.com> wrote in message news:4027ded5$1@forums-2-dub...
> Alex,
>
> I don't think I would attempt to use this same window for both purposes.
>
> I can certainly see where the select functionality requires a response
> window, you don't want to do anything else before a customer has been
> selected.
>
> But in the maintenance mode doesn't really have the same requirement does
it? Is there any
> reason why a user couldn't be switching around between two or three other
> windows while they are maintaining the customer data? If you make this
> one a sheet, then the call from the sheet to a confirmation response
> window can be performed without any conflicts at all.


DT Posted on 2004-02-10 23:59:23.0Z
From: "DT" <david.taylor@integritycompanies.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
References: <40279e90.27b1.846930886@sybase.com> <4027c799$1@forums-2-dub> <4027d43b@forums-2-dub> <4027ded5$1@forums-2-dub> <4027f056$1@forums-2-dub>
Subject: Re: Modal Windows launched in sequence.
Lines: 28
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: integritycompanies.com
Message-ID: <402972e8$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 10 Feb 2004 16:10:16 -0800, integritycompanies.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 10 Feb 2004 15:41:29 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 10 Feb 2004 15:59:23 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1076457563 10.22.108.75 (10 Feb 2004 15:59:23 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 10 Feb 2004 15:59:23 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:7784
Article PK: 735059

Could you make your app SDI based instead of MDI, thenuse dhun_data_ter
suggestion of using sheets instead.

"Alex Castillo" <klmAlexCast_SlwMx@HotMail.Com> wrote in message
news:4027f056$1@forums-2-dub...
> Good point... I'll better re-think the design I'm using.
>
> Alex.
>
> <dhun_nada_ter@mmm.com> wrote in message news:4027ded5$1@forums-2-dub...
> > Alex,
> >
> > I don't think I would attempt to use this same window for both purposes.
> >
> > I can certainly see where the select functionality requires a response
> > window, you don't want to do anything else before a customer has been
> > selected.
> >
> > But in the maintenance mode doesn't really have the same requirement does
> it? Is there any
> > reason why a user couldn't be switching around between two or three other
> > windows while they are maintaining the customer data? If you make this
> > one a sheet, then the call from the sheet to a confirmation response
> > window can be performed without any conflicts at all.
>
>


Steve Katz [TeamSybase] Posted on 2004-02-11 15:11:04.0Z
Sender: 46bd.402a45d9.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Steve Katz [TeamSybase]
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
Subject: Re: Modal Windows launched in sequence.
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1s
Message-ID: <402a4608.46c3.846930886@sybase.com>
References: <40279e90.27b1.846930886@sybase.com> <4027c799$1@forums-2-dub> <4027d43b@forums-2-dub> <4027ded5$1@forums-2-dub> <4027f056$1@forums-2-dub><402972e8$1@forums-2-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 11 Feb 2004 07:11:04 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1076512264 10.22.241.41 (11 Feb 2004 07:11:04 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 11 Feb 2004 07:11:04 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 79
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:7787
Article PK: 735062

Why limit it to SDI!? Then the user can only ever have one
window open at a time. Are you sure you need to do that to
your user?

We have the same design all over the place and use MDI and
it's so much more flexible for the user and easy to code and
maintain as well.

In our application, we have a menu item for Shipment
Maintenance, for example. This will open an MDI sheet that
contains criteria/results. If the user has security access,
there is also a toolbar item to create a new shipment which
will open a new sheet and allow the user to enter a new
shipment. If the user adds criteria and searches, they
double-click to edit an existing shipment (which opens in an
MDI sheet).

In our case, we don't allow deletes because of referential
integrity constraints, but if you wanted to, you could
simply add a checkbox column in the results dw and when the
user clicks a "Delete Selected Items" command button, prompt
the user to confirm, then delete the marked items and
reselect using the same criteria. You would just have to
check that the open shipment detail window does not contain
one of the deleted shipments.

The only other thing you have to consider then is whether
you want to allow multiple maintenance/new windows to be
opened at one time or only allow one at a time. We
typically allow only one, so we have code in the results
window when the user double-clicks to see if another window
of the maintenance window type is open. If it's not, we
open one. If we find one, we trigger an event on the open
window to reload itself with the new data (either as a new
shipment or with the key values identifying the existing
shipment). In the reload event, we check if changes are
pending and prompt the user to save (similar to what we do
if the user closes the window with changes pending. Also,
from the maintenance window, on a save of data, we force the
list window to update itself as well, by re-retrieving in
order to have the most up-to-date information in both
syncronized.

It sounds like a lot of functionality and it is, but it's
not a lot of code.

steve
[TeamSybase]

> Could you make your app SDI based instead of MDI, thenuse
> dhun_data_ter suggestion of using sheets instead.
>
> "Alex Castillo" <klmAlexCast_SlwMx@HotMail.Com> wrote in
> message news:4027f056$1@forums-2-dub...
> > Good point... I'll better re-think the design I'm using.
> >
> > Alex.
> >
> > <dhun_nada_ter@mmm.com> wrote in message
> > > news:4027ded5$1@forums-2-dub... Alex,
> > >
> > > I don't think I would attempt to use this same window
> > for both purposes. >
> > > I can certainly see where the select functionality
> > > requires a response window, you don't want to do
> > > anything else before a customer has been selected.
> > >
> > > But in the maintenance mode doesn't really have the
> > same requirement does it? Is there any
> > > reason why a user couldn't be switching around between
> > > two or three other windows while they are maintaining
> > > the customer data? If you make this one a sheet,
> > > then the call from the sheet to a confirmation
> response window can be performed without any conflicts at
> all. >
> >
>
>


DT Posted on 2004-02-11 16:14:54.0Z
From: "DT" <david.taylor@integritycompanies.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
References: <40279e90.27b1.846930886@sybase.com> <4027c799$1@forums-2-dub> <4027d43b@forums-2-dub> <4027ded5$1@forums-2-dub> <4027f056$1@forums-2-dub><402972e8$1@forums-2-dub> <402a4608.46c3.846930886@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Modal Windows launched in sequence.
Lines: 11
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
NNTP-Posting-Host: integritycompanies.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: integritycompanies.com
Message-ID: <402a54fe$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 11 Feb 2004 08:14:54 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1076516094 209.48.160.34 (11 Feb 2004 08:14:54 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 11 Feb 2004 08:14:54 -0800, integritycompanies.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:7788
Article PK: 735063

Isn't SDI only one sheet at a time, not one window ?

<Steve Katz [TeamSybase]> wrote in message
news:402a4608.46c3.846930886@sybase.com...
> Why limit it to SDI!? Then the user can only ever have one
> window open at a time. Are you sure you need to do that to
> your user?


dhun_nada_ter Posted on 2004-02-11 17:09:29.0Z
From: dhun_nada_ter@mmm.com
Subject: Re: Modal Windows launched in sequence.
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
MIME-Version: 1.0
References: <40279e90.27b1.846930886@sybase.com> <4027c799$1@forums-2-dub> <4027d43b@forums-2-dub> <4027ded5$1@forums-2-dub> <4027f056$1@forums-2-dub><402972e8$1@forums-2-dub> <402a4608.46c3.846930886@sybase.com> <402a54fe$1@forums-1-dub>
X-Newsreader: Lotus Notes Release 5.0.9a January 7, 2002
X-MIMETrack: Serialize by Notes Client on Doug Hunter/US-Corporate/3M/US(Release 5.0.9a |January 7, 2002) at 02/11/2004 10:51:34 AM, Serialize complete at 02/11/2004 10:51:34 AM
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
NNTP-Posting-Host: 169.10.78.217
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 169.10.78.217
Message-ID: <402a61c9@forums-1-dub>
Date: 11 Feb 2004 09:09:29 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1076519369 169.10.78.217 (11 Feb 2004 09:09:29 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 11 Feb 2004 09:09:29 -0800, 169.10.78.217
Lines: 9
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:7789
Article PK: 735064

<<Isn't SDI only one sheet at a time, not one window ?>>

Nope.

SDI -- Single Document Interface. Everything is in one window, or one or
more windows all opened on the users desktop as seperate windows.

MDI -- Multiple Document Interface. All windows are opened within one
main "frame" window.


DT Posted on 2004-02-11 17:47:25.0Z
From: "DT" <david.taylor@integritycompanies.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
References: <40279e90.27b1.846930886@sybase.com> <4027c799$1@forums-2-dub> <4027d43b@forums-2-dub> <4027ded5$1@forums-2-dub> <4027f056$1@forums-2-dub><402972e8$1@forums-2-dub> <402a4608.46c3.846930886@sybase.com> <402a54fe$1@forums-1-dub> <402a61c9@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Modal Windows launched in sequence.
Lines: 15
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
NNTP-Posting-Host: integritycompanies.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: integritycompanies.com
Message-ID: <402a6aad$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 11 Feb 2004 09:47:25 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1076521645 209.48.160.34 (11 Feb 2004 09:47:25 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 11 Feb 2004 09:47:25 -0800, integritycompanies.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:7790
Article PK: 735066

SDI means ONE SHEET, not one window. I have one sheet in a MDI frame, I can
still open popup and response windows.

<dhun_nada_ter@mmm.com> wrote in message news:402a61c9@forums-1-dub...
> <<Isn't SDI only one sheet at a time, not one window ?>>
>
> Nope.
>
> SDI -- Single Document Interface. Everything is in one window, or one or
> more windows all opened on the users desktop as seperate windows.
>
> MDI -- Multiple Document Interface. All windows are opened within one
> main "frame" window.


Steve Katz [TeamSybase] Posted on 2004-02-12 15:07:33.0Z
Sender: 588a.402b962e.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Steve Katz [TeamSybase]
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
Subject: Re: Modal Windows launched in sequence.
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1s
Message-ID: <402b96b5.588f.846930886@sybase.com>
References: <40279e90.27b1.846930886@sybase.com> <4027c799$1@forums-2-dub> <4027d43b@forums-2-dub> <4027ded5$1@forums-2-dub> <4027f056$1@forums-2-dub><402972e8$1@forums-2-dub> <402a4608.46c3.846930886@sybase.com> <402a54fe$1@forums-1-dub> <402a61c9@forums-1-dub><402a6aad$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 12 Feb 2004 07:07:33 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1076598453 10.22.241.41 (12 Feb 2004 07:07:33 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 12 Feb 2004 07:07:33 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 30
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:7791
Article PK: 735065

Yes, but that's not the UI you want to use unless your
application only does one thing and the popup/response/child
windows are only in support of that one thing.

Most applications do more than just customer maintenance,
for example.

If your application has customers and order, in SDI you
would never be able to open an Order window and a Customer
window at the same time. Or 2 Order windows, or 2 Customer
windows, etc....

steve
[TeamSybase]

> SDI means ONE SHEET, not one window. I have one sheet in a
> MDI frame, I can still open popup and response windows.
>
> <dhun_nada_ter@mmm.com> wrote in message
> > news:402a61c9@forums-1-dub... <<Isn't SDI only one sheet
> at a time, not one window ?>> >
> > Nope.
> >
> > SDI -- Single Document Interface. Everything is in one
> > window, or one or more windows all opened on the users
> desktop as seperate windows. >
> > MDI -- Multiple Document Interface. All windows are
> > opened within one main "frame" window.
>
>


DT Posted on 2004-02-12 15:35:05.0Z
From: "DT" <david.taylor@integritycompanies.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
References: <40279e90.27b1.846930886@sybase.com> <4027c799$1@forums-2-dub> <4027d43b@forums-2-dub> <4027ded5$1@forums-2-dub> <4027f056$1@forums-2-dub><402972e8$1@forums-2-dub> <402a4608.46c3.846930886@sybase.com> <402a54fe$1@forums-1-dub> <402a61c9@forums-1-dub><402a6aad$1@forums-1-dub> <402b96b5.588f.846930886@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Modal Windows launched in sequence.
Lines: 40
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
NNTP-Posting-Host: integritycompanies.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: integritycompanies.com
Message-ID: <402b9d29@forums-1-dub>
Date: 12 Feb 2004 07:35:05 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1076600105 209.48.160.34 (12 Feb 2004 07:35:05 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 12 Feb 2004 07:35:05 -0800, integritycompanies.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:7792
Article PK: 735069

Yes, I will concede that if you want to open two customers, you need MDI.
However, most applications I've been involved with are data entry or reporting
where that functionality is rarely used.

<Steve Katz [TeamSybase]> wrote in message
news:402b96b5.588f.846930886@sybase.com...
> Yes, but that's not the UI you want to use unless your
> application only does one thing and the popup/response/child
> windows are only in support of that one thing.
>
> Most applications do more than just customer maintenance,
> for example.
>
> If your application has customers and order, in SDI you
> would never be able to open an Order window and a Customer
> window at the same time. Or 2 Order windows, or 2 Customer
> windows, etc....
>
> steve
> [TeamSybase]
>
> > SDI means ONE SHEET, not one window. I have one sheet in a
> > MDI frame, I can still open popup and response windows.
> >
> > <dhun_nada_ter@mmm.com> wrote in message
> > > news:402a61c9@forums-1-dub... <<Isn't SDI only one sheet
> > at a time, not one window ?>> >
> > > Nope.
> > >
> > > SDI -- Single Document Interface. Everything is in one
> > > window, or one or more windows all opened on the users
> > desktop as seperate windows. >
> > > MDI -- Multiple Document Interface. All windows are
> > > opened within one main "frame" window.
> >
> >


dhun_nada_ter Posted on 2004-02-12 16:47:28.0Z
From: dhun_nada_ter@mmm.com
Subject: Re: Modal Windows launched in sequence.
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
MIME-Version: 1.0
References: <40279e90.27b1.846930886@sybase.com> <4027c799$1@forums-2-dub> <4027d43b@forums-2-dub> <4027ded5$1@forums-2-dub> <4027f056$1@forums-2-dub><402972e8$1@forums-2-dub> <402a4608.46c3.846930886@sybase.com> <402a54fe$1@forums-1-dub> <402a61c9@forums-1-dub> <402a6aad$1@forums-1-dub>
X-Newsreader: Lotus Notes Release 5.0.9a January 7, 2002
X-MIMETrack: Serialize by Notes Client on Doug Hunter/US-Corporate/3M/US(Release 5.0.9a |January 7, 2002) at 02/12/2004 10:29:23 AM, Serialize complete at 02/12/2004 10:29:23 AM
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 169.10.78.217
Message-ID: <402bb0b3$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 12 Feb 2004 08:58:27 -0800, 169.10.78.217
Lines: 10
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 12 Feb 2004 08:29:24 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 12 Feb 2004 08:47:28 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1076604448 10.22.108.75 (12 Feb 2004 08:47:28 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 12 Feb 2004 08:47:28 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:7793
Article PK: 735068

According to the definitions of SDI vs MDI that I've always operated on
you're incorrect.

I don't care if you have one sheet or more than one sheet, if you have a
sheet, then you have an MDI frame, and therefore it's an MDI.

SDI means you don't *have* a MDI frame. You have a Window, and it may
have popups or responses or even other windows (which is indeed pushing
boundaries) but no MDI frame to gather it all up and make it neat and
pretty.