Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

How to download pdf, word, ... files from PC avgclient browser ?

7 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2006-05-20 00:55:38.0Z
Eric FOUCAUD Posted on 2004-05-04 07:33:52.0Z
Sender: 263d.409746aa.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Eric FOUCAUD
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
Subject: How to download pdf, word, ... files from PC avgclient browser ?
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <40974754.2642.1681692777@sybase.com>
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.42
X-Original-Trace: 4 May 2004 00:33:40 -0700, 10.22.241.42
Lines: 7
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 4 May 2004 00:33:51 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 4 May 2004 00:33:52 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1083656032 10.22.108.75 (4 May 2004 00:33:52 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 4 May 2004 00:33:52 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:41
Article PK: 17547

How to download pdf, word, ... files from PC avgclient
browser ?
I mean, using Internet Explorer when you click on a URL
pointing to a zip file, it purposes to download the file. Is
there such a mecanism with Laptop avgclient ? How to do so ?

Thanks


Yadong Liu Posted on 2004-05-11 00:51:07.0Z
Sender: c22.40a020ce.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Yadong Liu
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
Subject: Re: How to download pdf, word, ... files from PC avgclient browser ?
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <40a02377.c37.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <40974754.2642.1681692777@sybase.com>
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.42
X-Original-Trace: 10 May 2004 17:51:03 -0700, 10.22.241.42
Lines: 28
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 10 May 2004 17:51:06 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 10 May 2004 17:51:07 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1084236667 10.22.108.75 (10 May 2004 17:51:07 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 10 May 2004 17:51:07 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:45
Article PK: 17548

You can use the laptop client to download pdf and word files
then use them in a 'disconnected' mode.

Here is how to do it:

1, On the web server that you are going to host these pdf
files, for example IIS use Internet Service Manager, create
a new MIME Map to map pdf extension to
application/octet-stream.
2, Repeat 1 for other types of binary files you want to
download.
3, On M-Business server, create a personal or group channel
that contains the URL(s) to the pdf file(s), and CHECK
'Allow Binary Distribution' option.
4, Sync your M-Business laptop client, the file(s) will be
downloaded to a directory called: C:\Program
Files\M-business Client\Pods

Hope this helps.

> How to download pdf, word, ... files from PC avgclient
> browser ?
> I mean, using Internet Explorer when you click on a URL
> pointing to a zip file, it purposes to download the file.
> Is there such a mecanism with Laptop avgclient ? How to do
> so ?
>
> Thanks


Marcin Zastawny Posted on 2004-05-19 11:17:48.0Z
From: "Marcin Zastawny" <marcinz@infocon.pl>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
References: <40974754.2642.1681692777@sybase.com> <40a02377.c37.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: How to download pdf, word, ... files from PC avgclient browser ?
Lines: 45
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: acu190.internetdsl.tpnet.pl
Message-ID: <40ab4269@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 19 May 2004 04:18:01 -0700, acu190.internetdsl.tpnet.pl
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 19 May 2004 04:17:19 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 19 May 2004 04:17:48 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1084965468 10.22.108.75 (19 May 2004 04:17:48 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 19 May 2004 04:17:48 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:47
Article PK: 8696

Hello, I am new here to this newsgroup, but I have userd MBusiness for quite
some time.
Although I have never - up till now that is - had the need to distribute
(even in readonly mode) office documents.

You mention that you can do this on a desktop, but can these documents
(multi workbook excel spreadsheets), be made available to a PocketPC device
running 5.3 or 5.5 version of AvantGo enterprise client ?

thanks,
Marcin Zastawny

<Yadong Liu> wrote in message news:40a02377.c37.1681692777@sybase.com...
> You can use the laptop client to download pdf and word files
> then use them in a 'disconnected' mode.
>
> Here is how to do it:
>
> 1, On the web server that you are going to host these pdf
> files, for example IIS use Internet Service Manager, create
> a new MIME Map to map pdf extension to
> application/octet-stream.
> 2, Repeat 1 for other types of binary files you want to
> download.
> 3, On M-Business server, create a personal or group channel
> that contains the URL(s) to the pdf file(s), and CHECK
> 'Allow Binary Distribution' option.
> 4, Sync your M-Business laptop client, the file(s) will be
> downloaded to a directory called: C:\Program
> Files\M-business Client\Pods
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> > How to download pdf, word, ... files from PC avgclient
> > browser ?
> > I mean, using Internet Explorer when you click on a URL
> > pointing to a zip file, it purposes to download the file.
> > Is there such a mecanism with Laptop avgclient ? How to do
> > so ?
> >
> > Thanks


Christopher Grim Posted on 2004-05-25 19:26:59.0Z
User-Agent: Microsoft-Entourage/10.1.4.030702.0
Subject: Re: How to download pdf, word, ... files from PC avgclient browser ?
From: Christopher Grim <Chris.Grim@ianywhere.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
Message-ID: <BCD8EBCE.14C9%Chris.Grim@ianywhere.com>
References: <40974754.2642.1681692777@sybase.com> <40a02377.c37.1681692777@sybase.com> <40ab4269@forums-2-dub>
Mime-version: 1.0
Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: macgrimreaper.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 25 May 2004 12:27:34 -0700, macgrimreaper.sybase.com
Lines: 69
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 25 May 2004 12:25:52 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 25 May 2004 12:26:59 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1085513219 10.22.108.75 (25 May 2004 12:26:59 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 25 May 2004 12:26:59 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:53
Article PK: 17557

Marcin et al,

Yes, we can bring binaries down to any platform. On Palm this pretty much
means pdb's and prc's. On Pocket PC and Win32, it's pretty much any file
and it's up to you to have a viewer for it.

In addition to the MIME type that Yadong suggested, there is a way that lets
you keep the MIME types in tact so that desktop browsers that hit the same
link will still launch Word, Arcrobat, etc. You need to add one of two
settings to the sync.conf file (this works in 5.3 or later servers):

SyncPref WinCEDownloadTypes "application/pdf,application/vnd.ms-excel"

--or--

SyncPref WinCEDownloadExts "pdf,doc,xls"

Chris...

On 5/19/04 4:17 AM, in article 40ab4269@forums-2-dub, "Marcin Zastawny"

<marcinz@infocon.pl> wrote:

> Hello, I am new here to this newsgroup, but I have userd MBusiness for quite
> some time.
> Although I have never - up till now that is - had the need to distribute
> (even in readonly mode) office documents.
>
> You mention that you can do this on a desktop, but can these documents
> (multi workbook excel spreadsheets), be made available to a PocketPC device
> running 5.3 or 5.5 version of AvantGo enterprise client ?
>
> thanks,
> Marcin Zastawny
>
>
>
> <Yadong Liu> wrote in message news:40a02377.c37.1681692777@sybase.com...
>> You can use the laptop client to download pdf and word files
>> then use them in a 'disconnected' mode.
>>
>> Here is how to do it:
>>
>> 1, On the web server that you are going to host these pdf
>> files, for example IIS use Internet Service Manager, create
>> a new MIME Map to map pdf extension to
>> application/octet-stream.
>> 2, Repeat 1 for other types of binary files you want to
>> download.
>> 3, On M-Business server, create a personal or group channel
>> that contains the URL(s) to the pdf file(s), and CHECK
>> 'Allow Binary Distribution' option.
>> 4, Sync your M-Business laptop client, the file(s) will be
>> downloaded to a directory called: C:\Program
>> Files\M-business Client\Pods
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>>> How to download pdf, word, ... files from PC avgclient
>>> browser ?
>>> I mean, using Internet Explorer when you click on a URL
>>> pointing to a zip file, it purposes to download the file.
>>> Is there such a mecanism with Laptop avgclient ? How to do
>>> so ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>
>


Peter Gibbons Posted on 2006-05-12 04:37:17.0Z
Reply-To: "Peter Gibbons" <pgibbons@initech.com>
From: "Peter Gibbons" <pgibbons@initech.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
References: <BCD8EBCE.14C9%Chris.Grim@ianywhere.com> <44359bb3.767b.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: How to download pdf, word, ... files from PC avgclient browser ?
Lines: 100
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1807
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1807
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.118.34
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.118.34
Message-ID: <446410fd$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 11 May 2006 21:37:17 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1147408637 10.22.118.34 (11 May 2006 21:37:17 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 11 May 2006 21:37:17 -0700, 10.22.118.34
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:825
Article PK: 17808

You might also try removing xls from the sync.conf pref
WebToGoIgnoredExtensions

Are you linking to this from a page or setting up the channel to the file?
--
Peter

"Yeah. The coversheet. I know, I know."

<Silvia Garcia> wrote in message news:44359bb3.767b.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hi all:
>
> I am trying to download xls files in a pocketPC I am using
> M-Business Server 5.5.
>
> I have try booth of your suggestion, but when i sync my
> pocketpc the files are not downloaded. Is there something I
> am missing ?.
>
> I tested with a exe file and it is downloaded just fine at
> synchronization time.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
>
> > Marcin et al,
> >
> > Yes, we can bring binaries down to any platform. On Palm
> > this pretty much means pdb's and prc's. On Pocket PC and
> > Win32, it's pretty much any file and it's up to you to
> > have a viewer for it.
> >
> > In addition to the MIME type that Yadong suggested, there
> > is a way that lets you keep the MIME types in tact so that
> > desktop browsers that hit the same link will still launch
> > Word, Arcrobat, etc. You need to add one of two settings
> > to the sync.conf file (this works in 5.3 or later
> > servers):
> >
> > SyncPref WinCEDownloadTypes "application/pdf
> > ,application/vnd.ms-excel"
> >
> > --or--
> >
> > SyncPref WinCEDownloadExts "pdf,doc,xls"
> >
> > Chris...
> >
> > On 5/19/04 4:17 AM, in article 40ab4269@forums-2-dub,
> > "Marcin Zastawny" <marcinz@infocon.pl> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello, I am new here to this newsgroup, but I have userd
> > > MBusiness for quite some time.
> > > Although I have never - up till now that is - had the
> > > need to distribute (even in readonly mode) office
> > > documents.
> > > You mention that you can do this on a desktop, but can
> > > these documents (multi workbook excel spreadsheets), be
> > > made available to a PocketPC device running 5.3 or 5.5
> > > version of AvantGo enterprise client ?
> > > thanks,
> > > Marcin Zastawny
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > <Yadong Liu> wrote in message
> > news:40a02377.c37.1681692777@sybase.com... >> You can use
> > the laptop client to download pdf and word files >> then
> > use them in a 'disconnected' mode. >>
> > >> Here is how to do it:
> > >>
> > >> 1, On the web server that you are going to host these
> > pdf >> files, for example IIS use Internet Service Manager
> > , create >> a new MIME Map to map pdf extension to
> > >> application/octet-stream.
> > >> 2, Repeat 1 for other types of binary files you want to
> > >> download.
> > >> 3, On M-Business server, create a personal or group
> > channel >> that contains the URL(s) to the pdf file(s),
> > and CHECK >> 'Allow Binary Distribution' option.
> > >> 4, Sync your M-Business laptop client, the file(s) will
> > be >> downloaded to a directory called: C:\Program
> > >> Files\M-business Client\Pods
> > >>
> > >> Hope this helps.
> > >>
> > >>> How to download pdf, word, ... files from PC avgclient
> > >>> browser ?
> > >>> I mean, using Internet Explorer when you click on a
> > URL >>> pointing to a zip file, it purposes to download
> > the file. >>> Is there such a mecanism with Laptop
> > avgclient ? How to do >>> so ?
> > >>>
> > >>> Thanks
> > >
> > >
> >
> >