Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Upgrading

4 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2004-09-16 14:37:53.0Z
Geoffrey Chambers Posted on 2004-09-14 18:08:32.0Z
Sender: 4d67.414733e8.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Geoffrey Chambers
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Upgrading
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <41473557.4d81.1681692777@sybase.com>
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.42
X-Original-Trace: 14 Sep 2004 11:15:51 -0700, 10.22.241.42
Lines: 5
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 14 Sep 2004 10:56:30 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 14 Sep 2004 11:08:32 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1095185312 10.22.108.75 (14 Sep 2004 11:08:32 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 14 Sep 2004 11:08:32 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:3538
Article PK: 7439

I am using version 6 of SQL Anywhere and would like to
upgrade to the latest version. I will be installing on a new
computer. I have the original disk for version 6, but do not
have the serial number. How do I go about upgrading to
version 9 if 6 doesn't exist on the computer?


Reg Domaratzki Posted on 2004-09-14 18:54:19.0Z
From: "Reg Domaratzki" <Spam_bad_rdomarat@ianywhere.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <41473557.4d81.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Upgrading
Lines: 26
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1441
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: rdomarat-pc.sybase.com
Message-ID: <41474013$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 14 Sep 2004 12:01:39 -0700, rdomarat-pc.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 14 Sep 2004 11:42:17 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 14 Sep 2004 11:54:19 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1095188059 10.22.108.75 (14 Sep 2004 11:54:19 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 14 Sep 2004 11:54:19 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:3539
Article PK: 7440

All of the version 9 ASA executable will be able to work with the v6
database. Simply install version 9 on the new computer, copy the database
and log file from the old computer, and you're ready to go. I'd suggest
first doing an unload/reload of your v6 database file into a new v9 database
to make sure that you are getting all the new functionality in ASA v9.

--
Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions
Sybase Certified Professional - Sybase ASA Developer Version 8
Please reply only to the newsgroup

iAnywhere Developer Community : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
-> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
-> Set "Platform Preview" and "Time Frame" to ALL

<Geoffrey Chambers> wrote in message
news:41473557.4d81.1681692777@sybase.com...
> I am using version 6 of SQL Anywhere and would like to
> upgrade to the latest version. I will be installing on a new
> computer. I have the original disk for version 6, but do not
> have the serial number. How do I go about upgrading to
> version 9 if 6 doesn't exist on the computer?


Geoffrey Chambers Posted on 2004-09-16 14:33:47.0Z
Sender: 6dc2.4149a55a.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Geoffrey Chambers
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Upgrading
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4149a609.6ddc.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <41474013$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.42
X-Original-Trace: 16 Sep 2004 07:41:13 -0700, 10.22.241.42
Lines: 35
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 16 Sep 2004 07:21:34 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 16 Sep 2004 07:33:47 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1095345227 10.22.108.75 (16 Sep 2004 07:33:47 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 16 Sep 2004 07:33:47 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:3562
Article PK: 7462

Ok, but will buying just the upgrade to version 9 install
without version 6 on the computer?

> All of the version 9 ASA executable will be able to work
> with the v6 database. Simply install version 9 on the new
> computer, copy the database and log file from the old
> computer, and you're ready to go. I'd suggest first doing
> an unload/reload of your v6 database file into a new v9
> database to make sure that you are getting all the new
> functionality in ASA v9.
>
> --
> Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions
> Sybase Certified Professional - Sybase ASA Developer
> Version 8 Please reply only to the newsgroup
>
> iAnywhere Developer Community :
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer iAnywhere Documentation
> : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals ASA
> Patches and EBFs :
> http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
> -> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
> -> Set "Platform Preview" and "Time Frame" to ALL
>
> <Geoffrey Chambers> wrote in message
> news:41473557.4d81.1681692777@sybase.com...
> > I am using version 6 of SQL Anywhere and would like to
> > upgrade to the latest version. I will be installing on a
> > new computer. I have the original disk for version 6,
> > but do not have the serial number. How do I go about
> > upgrading to version 9 if 6 doesn't exist on the
> computer?
>
>


Reg Domaratzki Posted on 2004-09-16 14:37:53.0Z
From: "Reg Domaratzki" <Spam_bad_rdomarat@ianywhere.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <41474013$1@forums-2-dub> <4149a609.6ddc.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Upgrading
Lines: 55
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1441
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: rdomarat-pc.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4149a700$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 16 Sep 2004 07:45:20 -0700, rdomarat-pc.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 16 Sep 2004 07:25:40 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 16 Sep 2004 07:37:53 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1095345473 10.22.108.75 (16 Sep 2004 07:37:53 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 16 Sep 2004 07:37:53 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:3563
Article PK: 7465

There is no software to upgrade between major version, only minor version
within the same major release (i.e. v9.0.0 to v9.0.1). When you purchase v9
(or download the developer edition for v9), you will get a full v9 install
that will not require any other ASA software to be installed on you machine.

--
Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions
Sybase Certified Professional - Sybase ASA Developer Version 8
Please reply only to the newsgroup

iAnywhere Developer Community : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
-> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
-> Set "Platform Preview" and "Time Frame" to ALL

<Geoffrey Chambers> wrote in message
news:4149a609.6ddc.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Ok, but will buying just the upgrade to version 9 install
> without version 6 on the computer?
>
>
> > All of the version 9 ASA executable will be able to work
> > with the v6 database. Simply install version 9 on the new
> > computer, copy the database and log file from the old
> > computer, and you're ready to go. I'd suggest first doing
> > an unload/reload of your v6 database file into a new v9
> > database to make sure that you are getting all the new
> > functionality in ASA v9.
> >
> > --
> > Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions
> > Sybase Certified Professional - Sybase ASA Developer
> > Version 8 Please reply only to the newsgroup
> >
> > iAnywhere Developer Community :
> > http://www.ianywhere.com/developer iAnywhere Documentation
> > : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals ASA
> > Patches and EBFs :
> > http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
> > -> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
> > -> Set "Platform Preview" and "Time Frame" to ALL
> >
> > <Geoffrey Chambers> wrote in message
> > news:41473557.4d81.1681692777@sybase.com...
> > > I am using version 6 of SQL Anywhere and would like to
> > > upgrade to the latest version. I will be installing on a
> > > new computer. I have the original disk for version 6,
> > > but do not have the serial number. How do I go about
> > > upgrading to version 9 if 6 doesn't exist on the
> > computer?
> >
> >