Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Slow WAN Connection using ODBC and Sybase v8 SQL Anywhere

5 posts in ,  QAnywhere Connectivity - ODBC Last posting was on 2004-10-05 17:21:20.0Z
Tasha Travis Posted on 2004-09-29 14:29:58.0Z
Reply-To: "Tasha Travis" <ltravis@crmanagement.com>
From: "Tasha Travis" <ltravis@crmanagement.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.sqlanywhere.qanywhere,sybase.public.connectivity.odbc
Subject: Slow WAN Connection using ODBC and Sybase v8 SQL Anywhere
Lines: 17
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165
NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-backup.crmanagement.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-backup.crmanagement.com
Message-ID: <415ac6e6$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 29 Sep 2004 07:29:58 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1096468198 209.83.85.34 (29 Sep 2004 07:29:58 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 29 Sep 2004 07:29:58 -0700, vpn-backup.crmanagement.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.sqlanywhere.qanywhere:35 sybase.public.connectivity.odbc:3500
Article PK: 10428

using TCP/IP with following parameters on each client that attaches to the
server:

host=sybase.crmanagement.com;port=2640;udp=no


Accessing the database over the LAN has no speed issues, but users accessing
the database over the WAN are experiencing unbelievably slow responses. Any
suggestions?



Thanks,

T. Travis


Robert Waywell Posted on 2004-09-29 15:12:13.0Z
From: "Robert Waywell" <nospam_rwaywell@ianywhere.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.sqlanywhere.qanywhere,sybase.public.connectivity.odbc,sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general
References: <415ac6e6$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Slow WAN Connection using ODBC and Sybase v8 SQL Anywhere
Lines: 61
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000
NNTP-Posting-Host: rwaywell-pc.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: rwaywell-pc.sybase.com
Message-ID: <415ad0cd$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 29 Sep 2004 08:12:13 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1096470733 10.25.100.118 (29 Sep 2004 08:12:13 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 29 Sep 2004 08:12:13 -0700, rwaywell-pc.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.sqlanywhere.qanywhere:36 sybase.public.connectivity.odbc:3501 sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general:93394
Article PK: 10433

Hi Tasha,
This question will be best addressed in the
sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general newsgroup so I am forwarding it to that
group.

As a starting point, can you provide some more detail?

Are all operations noticeably slower over the WAN or only operations that
return a lot of data to the application?
What is the front end application built with?
What specific version and build of ASA 8.x are you using?
What is the WAN bandwidth available? Have you looked at the utilization
level of this connection? Could this just be a bottleneck in the WAN itself?
Are all WAN connections affected equally?

--
-----------------------------------------------
Robert Waywell
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - Version 8
Sybase Certified Professional

Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions

Please respond ONLY to newsgroup

EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all

To Submit Bug Reports:
http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=B
ug

SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288

Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere
Developer Community at www.ianywhere.com/developer

"Tasha Travis" <ltravis@crmanagement.com> wrote in message
news:415ac6e6$1@forums-1-dub...
> using TCP/IP with following parameters on each client that attaches to the
> server:
>
> host=sybase.crmanagement.com;port=2640;udp=no
>
>
> Accessing the database over the LAN has no speed issues, but users
accessing
> the database over the WAN are experiencing unbelievably slow responses.
Any
> suggestions?
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> T. Travis
>
>


Olteanu Mihai Posted on 2004-10-05 16:43:39.0Z
From: "Olteanu Mihai" <mihai.o@softeh.ro>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.sqlanywhere.qanywhere,sybase.public.connectivity.odbc,sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general
References: <415ac6e6$1@forums-1-dub> <415ad0cd$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Slow WAN Connection using ODBC and Sybase v8 SQL Anywhere
Lines: 26
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1441
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 83.175.140.7
Message-ID: <4162cf37@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 5 Oct 2004 09:43:35 -0700, 83.175.140.7
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 5 Oct 2004 09:43:36 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 5 Oct 2004 09:43:39 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1096994619 10.22.108.75 (5 Oct 2004 09:43:39 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 5 Oct 2004 09:43:39 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.sqlanywhere.qanywhere:37 sybase.public.connectivity.odbc:3514 sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general:93538
Article PK: 18755

I have exactly the same problem; I have an application developed with
PowerBuilder 8.0.4 connecting through a WAN to a Sybase SQL Anywhere
7.0.3.2054.

To answer to the other questions posted by mister Waywell:
-All operations on the WAN work just fine ( I tested copying files and
monitoring transfer rates over the same connection )
-The WAN bandwith is of 1 MB/sec and it isn`t used by other applications and
doesn`t have any other traffic whatsoever

More details:
-At the start of the application for example , I retrieve a table from the
server in a datastore ( approx. 1000 rows) and it has a weird behavior when
monitored over the TCP/IP : It first receives a large packet of 120 -130 kb,
has a delay of 3 ms, then only small packets of 4kb - 5kb and at a 5-6ms
delay.

I also read the technote at
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/technotes/sqlany_wan.html , I tried
configuring the server as described there, no change. I am convinced that it
is something from the servers settings ( the fact that it receives such
small packets although the network could easily deal with larger ones) but I
don`t have enough experience with internet protocols and database access
over IP to pinpoint the problem. Any help would be welcomed.


Robert Waywell Posted on 2004-10-05 17:21:20.0Z
From: "Robert Waywell" <nospam_rwaywell@ianywhere.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.sqlanywhere.qanywhere,sybase.public.connectivity.odbc,sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general
References: <415ac6e6$1@forums-1-dub> <415ad0cd$1@forums-1-dub> <4162cf37@forums-2-dub>
Subject: Re: Slow WAN Connection using ODBC and Sybase v8 SQL Anywhere
Lines: 61
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000
NNTP-Posting-Host: rwaywell-pc.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: rwaywell-pc.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4162d810$2@forums-1-dub>
Date: 5 Oct 2004 10:21:20 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1096996880 10.25.100.118 (5 Oct 2004 10:21:20 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 5 Oct 2004 10:21:20 -0700, rwaywell-pc.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.sqlanywhere.qanywhere:38 sybase.public.connectivity.odbc:3515 sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general:93541
Article PK: 18757

Please do not cross post. As identified previously, the best place to post
this question was the sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general newsgroup

--
-----------------------------------------------
Robert Waywell
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - Version 8
Sybase Certified Professional

Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions

Please respond ONLY to newsgroup

EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all

To Submit Bug Reports:
http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=B
ug

SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288

Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere
Developer Community at www.ianywhere.com/developer

"Olteanu Mihai" <mihai.o@softeh.ro> wrote in message
news:4162cf37@forums-2-dub...
> I have exactly the same problem; I have an application developed with
> PowerBuilder 8.0.4 connecting through a WAN to a Sybase SQL Anywhere
> 7.0.3.2054.
>
> To answer to the other questions posted by mister Waywell:
> -All operations on the WAN work just fine ( I tested copying files and
> monitoring transfer rates over the same connection )
> -The WAN bandwith is of 1 MB/sec and it isn`t used by other applications
and
> doesn`t have any other traffic whatsoever
>
> More details:
> -At the start of the application for example , I retrieve a table from the
> server in a datastore ( approx. 1000 rows) and it has a weird behavior
when
> monitored over the TCP/IP : It first receives a large packet of 120 -130
kb,
> has a delay of 3 ms, then only small packets of 4kb - 5kb and at a 5-6ms
> delay.
>
> I also read the technote at
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/technotes/sqlany_wan.html , I tried
> configuring the server as described there, no change. I am convinced that
it
> is something from the servers settings ( the fact that it receives such
> small packets although the network could easily deal with larger ones) but
I
> don`t have enough experience with internet protocols and database access
> over IP to pinpoint the problem. Any help would be welcomed.
>
>


Chris Keating (iAnywhere Solutions) Posted on 2004-09-29 15:48:07.0Z
From: "Chris Keating \(iAnywhere Solutions\)" <Spam_NoThanks_keating@iAnywhere.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general
References: <415ac6e6$1@forums-1-dub> <415ad0cd$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Slow WAN Connection using ODBC and Sybase v8 SQL Anywhere
Lines: 71
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: keating-xp2.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: keating-xp2.sybase.com
Message-ID: <415ad937@forums-1-dub>
Date: 29 Sep 2004 08:48:07 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1096472887 10.25.100.248 (29 Sep 2004 08:48:07 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 29 Sep 2004 08:48:07 -0700, keating-xp2.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general:93398
Article PK: 956138

See http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/technotes/sqlany_wan.html

"Robert Waywell" <nospam_rwaywell@ianywhere.com> wrote in message
news:415ad0cd$1@forums-1-dub...
> Hi Tasha,
> This question will be best addressed in the
> sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general newsgroup so I am forwarding it to that
> group.
>
> As a starting point, can you provide some more detail?
>
> Are all operations noticeably slower over the WAN or only operations that
> return a lot of data to the application?
> What is the front end application built with?
> What specific version and build of ASA 8.x are you using?
> What is the WAN bandwidth available? Have you looked at the utilization
> level of this connection? Could this just be a bottleneck in the WAN
> itself?
> Are all WAN connections affected equally?
>
> --
> -----------------------------------------------
> Robert Waywell
> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - Version 8
> Sybase Certified Professional
>
> Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions
>
> Please respond ONLY to newsgroup
>
> EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
> choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all
>
> To Submit Bug Reports:
> http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=B
> ug
>
> SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
> http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288
>
> Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available through the
> iAnywhere
> Developer Community at www.ianywhere.com/developer
>
> "Tasha Travis" <ltravis@crmanagement.com> wrote in message
> news:415ac6e6$1@forums-1-dub...
>> using TCP/IP with following parameters on each client that attaches to
>> the
>> server:
>>
>> host=sybase.crmanagement.com;port=2640;udp=no
>>
>>
>> Accessing the database over the LAN has no speed issues, but users
> accessing
>> the database over the WAN are experiencing unbelievably slow responses.
> Any
>> suggestions?
>>
>>
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> T. Travis
>>
>>
>
>