Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Problem with form.TopMost = true and itemerror popup

4 posts in DataWindow .NET Last posting was on 2004-11-19 16:16:28.0Z
Jack Addington Posted on 2004-11-09 16:25:53.0Z
From: "Jack Addington" <jaddington@shaw.ca>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.datawindow.net
Subject: Problem with form.TopMost = true and itemerror popup
Lines: 13
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
NNTP-Posting-Host: s010600e018e32f17.cg.shawcable.net
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: s010600e018e32f17.cg.shawcable.net
Message-ID: <4190ef91@forums-1-dub>
Date: 9 Nov 2004 08:25:53 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1100017553 68.147.193.82 (9 Nov 2004 08:25:53 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Nov 2004 08:25:53 -0800, s010600e018e32f17.cg.shawcable.net
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.datawindow.net:680
Article PK: 125104

I've got a reponse window I'm popping up (with form.TopMost = true) and I
was going through the data entry process and did something the datawindow
did not like (I think it was putting a bad date in a datefield). Anyhow the
default popup message came up but didn't come up on top of the current
window so I couldn't see it. After much beeping and confusing I finally hit
ESC and that got me out of it... Should that be happening or is that a
dotnet issue to live with? I'm using c#.

thx

jack


Jack Addington Posted on 2004-11-18 23:13:21.0Z
From: "Jack Addington" <jaddington@shaw.ca>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.datawindow.net
References: <4190ef91@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Problem with form.TopMost = true and itemerror popup
Lines: 20
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: s010600e018e32f17.cg.shawcable.net
Message-ID: <419d2c8e$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 18 Nov 2004 15:13:18 -0800, s010600e018e32f17.cg.shawcable.net
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 18 Nov 2004 15:13:19 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 18 Nov 2004 15:13:21 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1100819601 10.22.108.75 (18 Nov 2004 15:13:21 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 18 Nov 2004 15:13:21 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.datawindow.net:761
Article PK: 125189

Any of you Sybase guys have any suggestions?

thx

"Jack Addington" <jaddington@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:4190ef91@forums-1-dub...
> I've got a reponse window I'm popping up (with form.TopMost = true) and I
> was going through the data entry process and did something the datawindow
> did not like (I think it was putting a bad date in a datefield). Anyhow
> the default popup message came up but didn't come up on top of the current
> window so I couldn't see it. After much beeping and confusing I finally
> hit ESC and that got me out of it... Should that be happening or is that
> a dotnet issue to live with? I'm using c#.
>
> thx
>
> jack
>


Jim O'Neil [Sybase] Posted on 2004-11-19 16:15:02.0Z
From: "Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil_at_sybase_dot_com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.datawindow.net
Subject: Re: Problem with form.TopMost = true and itemerror popup
Message-ID: <eo3sp09rgqn6l0hs81a15e27e2fi153umc@4ax.com>
References: <4190ef91@forums-1-dub> <419d2c8e$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 2.0/32.652
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: surfec007.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: surfec007.sybase.com
Date: 19 Nov 2004 08:15:02 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1100880902 199.93.176.7 (19 Nov 2004 08:15:02 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 19 Nov 2004 08:15:02 -0800, surfec007.sybase.com
Lines: 31
X-Authenticated-User: teamsybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.datawindow.net:762
Article PK: 125188

It happens in PowerBuilder as well, and the issue is that the message
boxes thrown up by the DataWindow are application modal, not system
modal. I'm going to see if we can have engineering change that;
however, I'm not a big fan of the fact we generate those system
message boxes to begin with. Even without seeing this behavior, I
would rather code the ItemError event and take control of how to
handle the erroneous entry myself.

On 18 Nov 2004 15:13:21 -0800, "Jack Addington" <jaddington@shaw.ca>

wrote:

>Any of you Sybase guys have any suggestions?
>
>thx
>
>"Jack Addington" <jaddington@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>news:4190ef91@forums-1-dub...
>> I've got a reponse window I'm popping up (with form.TopMost = true) and I
>> was going through the data entry process and did something the datawindow
>> did not like (I think it was putting a bad date in a datefield). Anyhow
>> the default popup message came up but didn't come up on top of the current
>> window so I couldn't see it. After much beeping and confusing I finally
>> hit ESC and that got me out of it... Should that be happening or is that
>> a dotnet issue to live with? I'm using c#.
>>
>> thx
>>
>> jack
>>
>


Jack Addington Posted on 2004-11-19 16:16:28.0Z
From: "Jack Addington" <jaddington@shaw.ca>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.datawindow.net
References: <4190ef91@forums-1-dub> <419d2c8e$1@forums-2-dub> <eo3sp09rgqn6l0hs81a15e27e2fi153umc@4ax.com>
Subject: Re: Problem with form.TopMost = true and itemerror popup
Lines: 46
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
NNTP-Posting-Host: s010600e018e32f17.cg.shawcable.net
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: s010600e018e32f17.cg.shawcable.net
Message-ID: <419e1c5c$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 19 Nov 2004 08:16:28 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1100880988 68.147.193.82 (19 Nov 2004 08:16:28 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 19 Nov 2004 08:16:28 -0800, s010600e018e32f17.cg.shawcable.net
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.datawindow.net:763
Article PK: 125190

ok that is what I thought and am ok with that. Mostly I wanted confirmation
that it was expected as opposed to some funny nuance in C# that I wasn't
aware of.

thx

"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil_at_sybase_dot_com> wrote in message
news:eo3sp09rgqn6l0hs81a15e27e2fi153umc@4ax.com...
> It happens in PowerBuilder as well, and the issue is that the message
> boxes thrown up by the DataWindow are application modal, not system
> modal. I'm going to see if we can have engineering change that;
> however, I'm not a big fan of the fact we generate those system
> message boxes to begin with. Even without seeing this behavior, I
> would rather code the ItemError event and take control of how to
> handle the erroneous entry myself.
>
> On 18 Nov 2004 15:13:21 -0800, "Jack Addington" <jaddington@shaw.ca>
> wrote:
>
>>Any of you Sybase guys have any suggestions?
>>
>>thx
>>
>>"Jack Addington" <jaddington@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>news:4190ef91@forums-1-dub...
>>> I've got a reponse window I'm popping up (with form.TopMost = true) and
>>> I
>>> was going through the data entry process and did something the
>>> datawindow
>>> did not like (I think it was putting a bad date in a datefield). Anyhow
>>> the default popup message came up but didn't come up on top of the
>>> current
>>> window so I couldn't see it. After much beeping and confusing I finally
>>> hit ESC and that got me out of it... Should that be happening or is
>>> that
>>> a dotnet issue to live with? I'm using c#.
>>>
>>> thx
>>>
>>> jack
>>>
>>
>