Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

using adotransaction with the odbcconnection class

4 posts in DataWindow .NET Last posting was on 2004-12-15 14:58:00.0Z
Stefan Larsen Posted on 2004-12-14 09:17:36.0Z
From: "Stefan Larsen" <stefan_remove_this@dmsoftware.dk>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.datawindow.net
Subject: using adotransaction with the odbcconnection class
Lines: 12
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1441
NNTP-Posting-Host: 212.130.84.130
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 212.130.84.130
Message-ID: <41beafb0@forums-1-dub>
Date: 14 Dec 2004 01:17:36 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1103015856 212.130.84.130 (14 Dec 2004 01:17:36 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 14 Dec 2004 01:17:36 -0800, 212.130.84.130
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.datawindow.net:1038
Article PK: 125464

Hi

I want to share a database connection using adotransaction. It is working
just fine. But how come it's only possible to share a connection which is
based on the oledbconnection class and not the odbcconnection class? The two
classes are inherited from the same interface (IDbConneciton), and the data
type accepted by the connection property on the adotransaction object is a
system.data.IDbConnection, so how come it's not possible?

Stefan Larsen


Jim O'Neil [Sybase] Posted on 2004-12-14 14:34:43.0Z
From: "Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil_at_sybase_dot_com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.datawindow.net
Subject: Re: using adotransaction with the odbcconnection class
Message-ID: <0autr0lp7ndq11aemgo5nml2b0kqu20amq@4ax.com>
References: <41beafb0@forums-1-dub>
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 2.0/32.652
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: joneilw2k.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: joneilw2k.sybase.com
Date: 14 Dec 2004 06:34:43 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1103034883 10.18.43.140 (14 Dec 2004 06:34:43 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 14 Dec 2004 06:34:43 -0800, joneilw2k.sybase.com
Lines: 25
X-Authenticated-User: teamsybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.datawindow.net:1045
Article PK: 125470

In order to implement methods like SyntaxFromSQL, DW.NET has to make a
number of metadata calls to the database backend. Unfortunately,
IDbConnection and ADO.NET in general do not include metadata calls in
the interface, so there is a bit of custom programming that is
required to handle all of the requests that might be made from DW
.NET. The decision was made to start with OleDbConnection since it
would likely cover most of the databases people would want to target.
I know that the Oracle and MS SQL Server namespaces are in progress as
well, but I'm not sure that we have plans for ODBC.

On 14 Dec 2004 01:17:36 -0800, "Stefan Larsen"

<stefan_remove_this@dmsoftware.dk> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I want to share a database connection using adotransaction. It is working
>just fine. But how come it's only possible to share a connection which is
>based on the oledbconnection class and not the odbcconnection class? The two
>classes are inherited from the same interface (IDbConneciton), and the data
>type accepted by the connection property on the adotransaction object is a
>system.data.IDbConnection, so how come it's not possible?
>
>Stefan Larsen
>


Stefan Larsen Posted on 2004-12-15 13:40:36.0Z
From: "Stefan Larsen" <stefan_remove_this@dmsoftware.dk>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.datawindow.net
References: <41beafb0@forums-1-dub> <0autr0lp7ndq11aemgo5nml2b0kqu20amq@4ax.com>
Subject: Re: using adotransaction with the odbcconnection class
Lines: 51
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1441
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 212.130.84.130
Message-ID: <41c03ed0$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 15 Dec 2004 05:40:32 -0800, 212.130.84.130
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 15 Dec 2004 05:40:33 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 15 Dec 2004 05:40:36 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1103118036 10.22.108.75 (15 Dec 2004 05:40:36 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 15 Dec 2004 05:40:36 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.datawindow.net:1073
Article PK: 125499

Thanks for your reply.

> I know that the Oracle and MS SQL Server namespaces are in progress as
> well, but I'm not sure that we have plans for ODBC.

We are currently using DataDirect Wire drivers to create ODBC data sources
for Oracle, MS SQL and DB2.

In order to use our current code/design I need to use the ODBCConnection
class...



As I remember it is the only way to create a database connection using
ODBC?!?



Stefan


> In order to implement methods like SyntaxFromSQL, DW.NET has to make a
> number of metadata calls to the database backend. Unfortunately,
> IDbConnection and ADO.NET in general do not include metadata calls in
> the interface, so there is a bit of custom programming that is
> required to handle all of the requests that might be made from DW
> .NET. The decision was made to start with OleDbConnection since it
> would likely cover most of the databases people would want to target.
> I know that the Oracle and MS SQL Server namespaces are in progress as
> well, but I'm not sure that we have plans for ODBC.
>
> On 14 Dec 2004 01:17:36 -0800, "Stefan Larsen"
> <stefan_remove_this@dmsoftware.dk> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >I want to share a database connection using adotransaction. It is working
> >just fine. But how come it's only possible to share a connection which is
> >based on the oledbconnection class and not the odbcconnection class? The
two
> >classes are inherited from the same interface (IDbConneciton), and the
data
> >type accepted by the connection property on the adotransaction object is
a
> >system.data.IDbConnection, so how come it's not possible?
> >
> >Stefan Larsen
> >
>


Jim O'Neil [Sybase] Posted on 2004-12-15 14:58:00.0Z
From: "Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil_at_sybase_dot_com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.datawindow.net
Subject: Re: using adotransaction with the odbcconnection class
Message-ID: <tlj0s0djqbppdguku0gu5a2ui8s81gj8c5@4ax.com>
References: <41beafb0@forums-1-dub> <0autr0lp7ndq11aemgo5nml2b0kqu20amq@4ax.com> <41c03ed0$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 2.0/32.652
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: joneilw2k.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 15 Dec 2004 06:57:57 -0800, joneilw2k.sybase.com
Lines: 65
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 15 Dec 2004 06:57:58 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 15 Dec 2004 06:58:00 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1103122680 10.22.108.75 (15 Dec 2004 06:58:00 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 15 Dec 2004 06:58:00 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.datawindow.net:1083
Article PK: 125510

Well, I was going to suggest using the MSDASQL provider which is the
OLE-DB Provider for ODBC and should allow connections via any ODBC
driver; however, I found Q310374 on the Microsoft site that says using
this driver is prohibited with ADO.NET. I know Microsoft wants to
wean people away from ODBC, so perhaps this is part of that attempt.

The only thing I can suggest at this point is to use the Transaction
class, versus AdoTransaction or switch to OLE-DB providers for your
databases. I will see if we have any plans on supporting
ODBCConnection.

On 15 Dec 2004 05:40:36 -0800, "Stefan Larsen"

<stefan_remove_this@dmsoftware.dk> wrote:

>Thanks for your reply.
>
>> I know that the Oracle and MS SQL Server namespaces are in progress as
>> well, but I'm not sure that we have plans for ODBC.
>
>We are currently using DataDirect Wire drivers to create ODBC data sources
>for Oracle, MS SQL and DB2.
>
>In order to use our current code/design I need to use the ODBCConnection
>class...
>
>
>
>As I remember it is the only way to create a database connection using
>ODBC?!?
>
>
>
>Stefan
>
>
>> In order to implement methods like SyntaxFromSQL, DW.NET has to make a
>> number of metadata calls to the database backend. Unfortunately,
>> IDbConnection and ADO.NET in general do not include metadata calls in
>> the interface, so there is a bit of custom programming that is
>> required to handle all of the requests that might be made from DW
>> .NET. The decision was made to start with OleDbConnection since it
>> would likely cover most of the databases people would want to target.
>> I know that the Oracle and MS SQL Server namespaces are in progress as
>> well, but I'm not sure that we have plans for ODBC.
>>
>> On 14 Dec 2004 01:17:36 -0800, "Stefan Larsen"
>> <stefan_remove_this@dmsoftware.dk> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi
>> >
>> >I want to share a database connection using adotransaction. It is working
>> >just fine. But how come it's only possible to share a connection which is
>> >based on the oledbconnection class and not the odbcconnection class? The
>two
>> >classes are inherited from the same interface (IDbConneciton), and the
>data
>> >type accepted by the connection property on the adotransaction object is
>a
>> >system.data.IDbConnection, so how come it's not possible?
>> >
>> >Stefan Larsen
>> >
>>
>