Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

PostgreSQL support

4 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2005-03-10 17:19:19.0Z
Sandeep Jain Posted on 2005-03-09 22:47:13.0Z
Reply-To: "Sandeep Jain" <sjain@kailaz.com>
From: "Sandeep Jain" <sjain@kailaz.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
Subject: PostgreSQL support
Lines: 10
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
NNTP-Posting-Host: 62.173.81.130
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 62.173.81.130
Message-ID: <422f7cf1$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 9 Mar 2005 14:47:13 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1110408433 62.173.81.130 (9 Mar 2005 14:47:13 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Mar 2005 14:47:13 -0800, 62.173.81.130
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:275
Article PK: 17629

Hi Everyone,

Is postgreSQL database supported with m-business anywhere? Is there a way I
could use it with m-business anywhere and mobilink synchonization with an
ultralite on-device database.

Thanks,
Sandeep


Greg Fenton Posted on 2005-03-09 23:18:09.0Z
From: Greg Fenton <greg.fenton_NOSPAM_@ianywhere.com>
Organization: iAnywhere Solutions Inc.
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.6.3.2f (Windows/20041206)
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL support
References: <422f7cf1$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <422f7cf1$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: cpec2cdc91b1d31-cm000f212f9e50.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
Message-ID: <422f842d$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 9 Mar 2005 15:18:05 -0800, cpec2cdc91b1d31-cm000f212f9e50.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
Lines: 32
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 9 Mar 2005 15:18:06 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 9 Mar 2005 15:18:09 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1110410289 10.22.108.75 (9 Mar 2005 15:18:09 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Mar 2005 15:18:09 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:277
Article PK: 8809


Sandeep Jain wrote:
>
> Is postgreSQL database supported with m-business anywhere? Is there a way I
> could use it with m-business anywhere and mobilink synchonization with an
> ultralite on-device database.
>

PostgreSQL is not one of the RDBMSs supported by MobiLink. The reason
is that we have not found (or tested) an ODBC driver for PostgreSQL that
supports the level of ODBC operations ML uses. Currently the supported
RDBMSs are ASA, ASE, Oracle, MSSQL and DB2.

We have heard of customers trying to get other RDBMSs working through
various approaches. Some have found that 3rd party ODBC drivers work
"well enough". Some have used ASA as the consolidated with Proxy Tables
(e.g. via ODBC) to the "real" backend DB.

Can you describe what it is you are hoping to do with UL and mBus?
Is there a particular reason you want to use PostgreSQL (e.g. a legacy
application)?

If we have a better idea of what you are trying to do we can offer more
specific solutions.

greg.fenton
--
Greg Fenton
Consultant, Solution Services, iAnywhere Solutions
--------
Visit the iAnywhere Solutions Developer Community
Whitepapers, TechDocs, Downloads
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/


Sandeep Jain Posted on 2005-03-10 15:09:16.0Z
Reply-To: "Sandeep Jain" <sjain@kailaz.com>
From: "Sandeep Jain" <sjain@kailaz.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
References: <422f7cf1$1@forums-1-dub> <422f842d$1@forums-2-dub>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL support
Lines: 59
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1441
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 193.118.251.61
Message-ID: <42306318$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 10 Mar 2005 07:09:12 -0800, 193.118.251.61
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 10 Mar 2005 07:09:13 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 10 Mar 2005 07:09:16 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1110467356 10.22.108.75 (10 Mar 2005 07:09:16 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 10 Mar 2005 07:09:16 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:280
Article PK: 31451

Thanks for the quick response.
Yes, we need to support a legacy application that is currently on
PostGreSQL. I don't think we would like to use a 3rd party ODBC to connect
to PostGre via ASA using proxy tables, so another solution would be to use
m-bus XML conduits, and have the application give out XML.
Any other solutions?

As of now, I think we will most probably go with ASA connecting on an
on-device ultralite db.

Are there any stats comparing ASA performance and other features/limitations
with Oracle/MSSQL/ASE?
I would like to understand what these limitations are, so we can think of a
more long term solution with these other databases.
Any pointers to some documentation in this regard will be really
appreciated.

Thanks,
Sandeep

"Greg Fenton" <greg.fenton_NOSPAM_@ianywhere.com> wrote in message
news:422f842d$1@forums-2-dub...
> Sandeep Jain wrote:
> >
> > Is postgreSQL database supported with m-business anywhere? Is there a
way I
> > could use it with m-business anywhere and mobilink synchonization with
an
> > ultralite on-device database.
> >
>
> PostgreSQL is not one of the RDBMSs supported by MobiLink. The reason
> is that we have not found (or tested) an ODBC driver for PostgreSQL that
> supports the level of ODBC operations ML uses. Currently the supported
> RDBMSs are ASA, ASE, Oracle, MSSQL and DB2.
>
> We have heard of customers trying to get other RDBMSs working through
> various approaches. Some have found that 3rd party ODBC drivers work
> "well enough". Some have used ASA as the consolidated with Proxy Tables
> (e.g. via ODBC) to the "real" backend DB.
>
> Can you describe what it is you are hoping to do with UL and mBus?
> Is there a particular reason you want to use PostgreSQL (e.g. a legacy
> application)?
>
> If we have a better idea of what you are trying to do we can offer more
> specific solutions.
>
> greg.fenton
> --
> Greg Fenton
> Consultant, Solution Services, iAnywhere Solutions
> --------
> Visit the iAnywhere Solutions Developer Community
> Whitepapers, TechDocs, Downloads
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/


Greg Fenton Posted on 2005-03-10 17:19:19.0Z
From: Greg Fenton <greg.fenton_NOSPAM_@ianywhere.com>
Organization: iAnywhere Solutions Inc.
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.6.3.2f (Windows/20041206)
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL support
References: <422f7cf1$1@forums-1-dub> <422f842d$1@forums-2-dub> <42306318$1@forums-2-dub>
In-Reply-To: <42306318$1@forums-2-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: gfenton-t30.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: gfenton-t30.sybase.com
Message-ID: <42308197$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 10 Mar 2005 09:19:19 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1110475159 10.25.98.243 (10 Mar 2005 09:19:19 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 10 Mar 2005 09:19:19 -0800, gfenton-t30.sybase.com
Lines: 39
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:284
Article PK: 8812


Sandeep Jain wrote:
>
> Are there any stats comparing ASA performance and other features/limitations
> with Oracle/MSSQL/ASE?
> I would like to understand what these limitations are, so we can think of a
> more long term solution with these other databases.

There are no published numbers that I know of. However, many people ask
this exact same question in the sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general
newsgroup and the responses are coming from customers who have long-time
experience with ASA.

ASA is a Very Capable database engine. We have customers with many gigs
of data, with hundreds or thousands of concurrent users.

Realize that ASA is *not* a derivative of ASE. It is a product with a
completely separate history (originally Watcom SQL) with a separate
development team in a separate country (ASE is in California, ASA is in
Waterloo Ontario).

I am somewhat biased on the subject, but I would always start with ASA
especially in a MobiLink environment unless a customer already has an
existing infrastucture on another RDBMS they want us to use.

I have not yet come across a situation where ASA could not succeed on a
technical level...though mind you I have not had to work with
large-volume, real-time data feeds such as the NY Stock Exchange. The
only projects I've been on where ASA didn't make the cut ended up being
over politics, not technology.

Hope this helps,
greg.fenton
--
Greg Fenton
Consultant, Solution Services, iAnywhere Solutions
--------
Visit the iAnywhere Solutions Developer Community
Whitepapers, TechDocs, Downloads
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/