Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Installing files to Windows folder on device

9 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2005-04-08 22:15:15.0Z
Jan Posted on 2005-04-07 14:02:29.0Z
From: "Jan" <jan@cyberprop.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
Subject: Installing files to Windows folder on device
Lines: 16
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: rrba-146-69-130.telkomadsl.co.za
Message-ID: <42553d71@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 7 Apr 2005 07:02:25 -0800, rrba-146-69-130.telkomadsl.co.za
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 7 Apr 2005 07:02:27 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 7 Apr 2005 07:02:29 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1112882549 10.22.108.75 (7 Apr 2005 07:02:29 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 7 Apr 2005 07:02:29 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:370
Article PK: 17666

Hi,

How do I install files to the Windows folder of the device?

Can I make use of third party installers like Wise or Installshield?

Is there a way to transfer (copy) files from the AvantGO\PODS folder to the
Windows folder?

How would I know which files must go to the device in order to have the full
M-Business client on the device?

Thanks
Jan


Greg Fenton Posted on 2005-04-07 16:12:31.0Z
From: Greg Fenton <greg.fenton_NOSPAM_@ianywhere.com>
Organization: iAnywhere Solutions Inc.
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.6.3.2f (Windows/20050317)
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
Subject: Re: Installing files to Windows folder on device
References: <42553d71@forums-2-dub>
In-Reply-To: <42553d71@forums-2-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: gfenton-t30.sybase.com
Message-ID: <42555beb$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 7 Apr 2005 09:12:27 -0800, gfenton-t30.sybase.com
Lines: 23
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 7 Apr 2005 09:12:28 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 7 Apr 2005 09:12:31 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1112890351 10.22.108.75 (7 Apr 2005 09:12:31 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 7 Apr 2005 09:12:31 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:371
Article PK: 17667


Jan wrote:
>
> Is there a way to transfer (copy) files from the AvantGO\PODS folder to the
> Windows folder?
>

You could write a POD to copy over files. The POD written to copy a
hard-coded list of files or whatever.

> How would I know which files must go to the device in order to have the full
> M-Business client on the device?

I'm not sure what you are asking here. The install CAB contains
everything you need.

greg.fenton
--
Greg Fenton
Consultant, Solution Services, iAnywhere Solutions
--------
Visit the iAnywhere Solutions Developer Community
Whitepapers, TechDocs, Downloads
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/


Willie van Schalkwyk Posted on 2005-04-07 18:37:53.0Z
From: "Willie van Schalkwyk" <willie@cyberprop.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
References: <42553d71@forums-2-dub> <42555beb$1@forums-2-dub>
Subject: Re: Installing files to Windows folder on device
Lines: 14
Organization: USP Designs (Pty) Ltd
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: tbnb-165-217-170.telkomadsl.co.za
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: tbnb-165-217-170.telkomadsl.co.za
Message-ID: <42557e01$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 7 Apr 2005 11:37:53 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1112899073 165.165.217.170 (7 Apr 2005 11:37:53 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 7 Apr 2005 11:37:53 -0700, tbnb-165-217-170.telkomadsl.co.za
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:372
Article PK: 8828

Hi Greg

>
> You could write a POD to copy over files. The POD written to copy a
> hard-coded list of files or whatever.
>

I would then presume that this is a quit commen request. Since we are not
as up to speed with POD development, is there some example code for copying
files?

Thanks
Willie


Greg Fenton Posted on 2005-04-07 22:46:33.0Z
From: Greg Fenton <greg.fenton_NOSPAM_@ianywhere.com>
Organization: iAnywhere Solutions Inc.
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.6.3.2f (Windows/20050317)
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
Subject: Re: Installing files to Windows folder on device
References: <42553d71@forums-2-dub> <42555beb$1@forums-2-dub> <42557e01$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <42557e01$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: cpec2cdc91b1d31-cm000f212f9e50.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
Message-ID: <4255b845$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 7 Apr 2005 15:46:29 -0800, cpec2cdc91b1d31-cm000f212f9e50.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
Lines: 27
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 7 Apr 2005 15:46:30 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 7 Apr 2005 15:46:33 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1112913993 10.22.108.75 (7 Apr 2005 15:46:33 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 7 Apr 2005 15:46:33 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:373
Article PK: 8827


Willie van Schalkwyk wrote:
>
> I would then presume that this is a quit commen request. Since we are not
> as up to speed with POD development, is there some example code for copying
> files?
>

The code we wrote was done for a particular client and as such we cannot
make that code available.

However, it was a simple call to the Win32 API. Take a simple Hello
World PODS (there are tutorials and sample PODS in the docs), and simply
enhance it with those calls.

An alternative would be to contact iAnywhere Professional Services to
see if our team might be able to help you out:

http://www.ianywhere.com/support/services.html

greg.fenton
--
Greg Fenton
Consultant, Solution Services, iAnywhere Solutions
--------
Visit the iAnywhere Solutions Developer Community
Whitepapers, TechDocs, Downloads
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/


Willie van Schalkwyk Posted on 2005-04-08 06:52:33.0Z
From: "Willie van Schalkwyk" <willie@cyberprop.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
References: <42553d71@forums-2-dub> <42555beb$1@forums-2-dub> <42557e01$1@forums-1-dub> <4255b845$1@forums-2-dub>
Subject: Re: Installing files to Windows folder on device
Lines: 14
Organization: USP Designs (Pty) Ltd
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: rrba-146-113-54.telkomadsl.co.za
Message-ID: <42562a2e@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 7 Apr 2005 23:52:30 -0800, rrba-146-113-54.telkomadsl.co.za
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 7 Apr 2005 23:52:31 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 7 Apr 2005 23:52:33 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1112943153 10.22.108.75 (7 Apr 2005 23:52:33 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 7 Apr 2005 23:52:33 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:375
Article PK: 8829

Hi Greg

> The code we wrote was done for a particular client and as such we cannot
> make that code available.

I understand your situation. Is there a place where developers like
ourselves can add code we have developed to put it out as public domain for
other users with more or less the same requirements. I believe that this
will boost your product as well as decrease time to market for developers
like ourselves.

Thanks


Greg Fenton Posted on 2005-04-08 13:27:03.0Z
From: Greg Fenton <greg.fenton_NOSPAM_@ianywhere.com>
Organization: iAnywhere Solutions Inc.
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.6.3.2f (Windows/20050317)
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
Subject: Re: Installing files to Windows folder on device
References: <42553d71@forums-2-dub> <42555beb$1@forums-2-dub> <42557e01$1@forums-1-dub> <4255b845$1@forums-2-dub> <42562a2e@forums-2-dub>
In-Reply-To: <42562a2e@forums-2-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: gfenton-t30.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: gfenton-t30.sybase.com
Message-ID: <425686a7$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 8 Apr 2005 06:27:03 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1112966823 10.25.98.243 (8 Apr 2005 06:27:03 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 8 Apr 2005 06:27:03 -0700, gfenton-t30.sybase.com
Lines: 27
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:377
Article PK: 8832


Willie van Schalkwyk wrote:
>
> I understand your situation. Is there a place where developers like
> ourselves can add code we have developed to put it out as public domain for
> other users with more or less the same requirements. I believe that this
> will boost your product as well as decrease time to market for developers
> like ourselves.
>

Willie,

I am in complete agreement! And the good news is that there is just
such a place:

http://ianywhere.codexchange.sybase.com/

To submit a sample, click the "Community" tab at the top-left of the page.

Thanks for your interest in!
greg.fenton
--
Greg Fenton
Consultant, Solution Services, iAnywhere Solutions
--------
Visit the iAnywhere Solutions Developer Community
Whitepapers, TechDocs, Downloads
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/


Chris Grim Posted on 2005-04-07 23:42:23.0Z
User-Agent: Microsoft-Entourage/11.1.0.040913
Subject: Re: Installing files to Windows folder on device
From: Chris Grim <chrisgrim@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
Message-ID: <BE7B136A.112B%chrisgrim@hotmail.com>
References: <42553d71@forums-2-dub>
Mime-version: 1.0
Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: macgrimreaper.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 7 Apr 2005 16:42:19 -0800, macgrimreaper.sybase.com
Lines: 33
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 7 Apr 2005 16:42:20 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 7 Apr 2005 16:42:23 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1112917343 10.22.108.75 (7 Apr 2005 16:42:23 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 7 Apr 2005 16:42:23 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:374
Article PK: 17670

Jan,

Depending on what you are looking to do, you may be able to do this without
a pod. I believe that M-Business will automatically put certain kinds of
files into the Windows directory. Also, if you send a cab file, which among
other things, can specify the location for the files in the cab, we will
automatically extract the cab file at the end of the sync.

HTH,

Chris...

On 4/7/05 7:02 AM, in article 42553d71@forums-2-dub, "Jan"

<jan@cyberprop.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How do I install files to the Windows folder of the device?
>
> Can I make use of third party installers like Wise or Installshield?
>
> Is there a way to transfer (copy) files from the AvantGO\PODS folder to the
> Windows folder?
>
> How would I know which files must go to the device in order to have the full
> M-Business client on the device?
>
> Thanks
> Jan
>
>


Jan Posted on 2005-04-08 06:59:52.0Z
From: "Jan" <jan@cyberprop.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
References: <42553d71@forums-2-dub> <BE7B136A.112B%chrisgrim@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Installing files to Windows folder on device
Lines: 52
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: rrba-146-113-54.telkomadsl.co.za
Message-ID: <42562be5@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 7 Apr 2005 23:59:49 -0800, rrba-146-113-54.telkomadsl.co.za
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 7 Apr 2005 23:59:50 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 7 Apr 2005 23:59:52 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1112943592 10.22.108.75 (7 Apr 2005 23:59:52 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 7 Apr 2005 23:59:52 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:376
Article PK: 8831

Chris,

The CAB option sounds great - how do I create this CAB file?

I guess the most important thing is setting the correct paths for the files
in the CAB file....???
Help - this is new territory for me!

Thanks
Jan

"Chris Grim" <chrisgrim@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:BE7B136A.112B%chrisgrim@hotmail.com...
> Jan,
>
> Depending on what you are looking to do, you may be able to do this
> without
> a pod. I believe that M-Business will automatically put certain kinds of
> files into the Windows directory. Also, if you send a cab file, which
> among
> other things, can specify the location for the files in the cab, we will
> automatically extract the cab file at the end of the sync.
>
> HTH,
>
> Chris...
>
> On 4/7/05 7:02 AM, in article 42553d71@forums-2-dub, "Jan"
> <jan@cyberprop.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> How do I install files to the Windows folder of the device?
>>
>> Can I make use of third party installers like Wise or Installshield?
>>
>> Is there a way to transfer (copy) files from the AvantGO\PODS folder to
>> the
>> Windows folder?
>>
>> How would I know which files must go to the device in order to have the
>> full
>> M-Business client on the device?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jan
>>
>>
>
>


Yadong.Liu Posted on 2005-04-08 22:15:15.0Z
Sender: 19fe.425701bf.1804289383@sybase.com
From: yadong.liu@ianywhere.com
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
Subject: Re: Installing files to Windows folder on device
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <42570273.1a15.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <42562be5@forums-2-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 8 Apr 2005 15:15:15 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1112998515 10.22.241.41 (8 Apr 2005 15:15:15 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 8 Apr 2005 15:15:15 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 69
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:379
Article PK: 17672

If you have only one or two files, there is an easy way to
do it in M-Bus server: use meta tag to specify a location to
copy a specific binary files, such as this:

<meta name="x-avantgo-download-location"
content="mysample.exe,%AG_STARTMENU%"> %AG_STARTMENU%
translates to Windows\Programs on PocketPC. Note that you
still need to specify the link in your html body <a
href="mysample.exe"></a>

Btw, you can use Visual Studio to create CAB files. Here is
a tutorial:
http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/CompactFramework/doc/cabfile.aspx

-Yadong

> Chris,
>
> The CAB option sounds great - how do I create this CAB
> file?
>
> I guess the most important thing is setting the correct
> paths for the files in the CAB file....???
> Help - this is new territory for me!
>
> Thanks
> Jan
>
> "Chris Grim" <chrisgrim@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:BE7B136A.112B%chrisgrim@hotmail.com...
> > Jan,
> >
> > Depending on what you are looking to do, you may be able
> > to do this without
> > a pod. I believe that M-Business will automatically put
> > certain kinds of files into the Windows directory. Also
> > , if you send a cab file, which among
> > other things, can specify the location for the files in
> > the cab, we will automatically extract the cab file at
> the end of the sync. >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Chris...
> >
> > On 4/7/05 7:02 AM, in article 42553d71@forums-2-dub,
> > "Jan" <jan@cyberprop.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> How do I install files to the Windows folder of the
> device? >>
> >> Can I make use of third party installers like Wise or
> Installshield? >>
> >> Is there a way to transfer (copy) files from the
> AvantGO\PODS folder to >> the
> >> Windows folder?
> >>
> >> How would I know which files must go to the device in
> order to have the >> full
> >> M-Business client on the device?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Jan
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>