Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Appeon - Powerbuilder 10??

6 posts in Appeon (partner product) Last posting was on 2005-05-13 13:12:49.0Z
Richard Keller Posted on 2005-05-11 20:21:57.0Z
From: "Richard Keller" <richard@kellersystems.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.appeon
Subject: Appeon - Powerbuilder 10??
Lines: 5
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: bdsl.66.15.75.32.gte.net
Message-ID: <4282695e$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 11 May 2005 13:21:50 -0700, bdsl.66.15.75.32.gte.net
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 11 May 2005 13:21:53 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 11 May 2005 13:21:57 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1115842917 10.22.108.75 (11 May 2005 13:21:57 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 11 May 2005 13:21:57 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.appeon:848
Article PK: 20923

Is Appeon Compatiable with Powerbuilder 10 or does the Unicode issues
cause problems for any Appeon conversion of a PB 10 application.


Dean Jones Posted on 2005-05-11 20:44:02.0Z
From: "Dean Jones" <dean_dot_jones_at_powerobjects_dot_com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.appeon
References: <4282695e$1@forums-2-dub>
Subject: Re: Appeon - Powerbuilder 10??
Lines: 19
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: 216.207.144.172
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 216.207.144.172
Message-ID: <42826e92@forums-1-dub>
Date: 11 May 2005 13:44:02 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1115844242 216.207.144.172 (11 May 2005 13:44:02 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 11 May 2005 13:44:02 -0700, 216.207.144.172
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.appeon:849
Article PK: 12717

Currently Appeon support 8 and 9.

--
Dean Jones [TeamSybase]
CEO
Certified PowerBuilder Developer
www.powerobjects.com
(612) 339-3355 ext 112

"Richard Keller" <richard@kellersystems.com> wrote in message
news:4282695e$1@forums-2-dub...
> Is Appeon Compatiable with Powerbuilder 10 or does the Unicode issues
> cause problems for any Appeon conversion of a PB 10 application.
>
>
>


Richard Keller Posted on 2005-05-12 01:40:13.0Z
From: "Richard Keller" <richard@kellersystems.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.appeon
References: <4282695e$1@forums-2-dub> <42826e92@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Appeon - Powerbuilder 10??
Lines: 28
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: bdsl.66.15.75.32.gte.net
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: bdsl.66.15.75.32.gte.net
Message-ID: <4282b3fd$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 11 May 2005 18:40:13 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1115862013 66.15.75.32 (11 May 2005 18:40:13 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 11 May 2005 18:40:13 -0700, bdsl.66.15.75.32.gte.net
X-Authenticated-User: dw15beta
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.appeon:851
Article PK: 20925

Thanks, just got the Appeon Demo Disk in the mail. I have a team converting
everything over to PB 10 from PB 9. Any news out there when and if appeon
will support PB 10 or will the .Net compiler of PB11 phase out appeon?

"Dean Jones" <dean_dot_jones_at_powerobjects_dot_com> wrote in message
news:42826e92@forums-1-dub...
> Currently Appeon support 8 and 9.
>
> --
> Dean Jones [TeamSybase]
> CEO
> Certified PowerBuilder Developer
> www.powerobjects.com
> (612) 339-3355 ext 112
>
>
> "Richard Keller" <richard@kellersystems.com> wrote in message
> news:4282695e$1@forums-2-dub...
>> Is Appeon Compatiable with Powerbuilder 10 or does the Unicode issues
>> cause problems for any Appeon conversion of a PB 10 application.
>>
>>
>>
>
>


Dean Jones Posted on 2005-05-12 14:19:13.0Z
From: "Dean Jones" <dean_dot_jones_at_powerobjects_dot_com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.appeon
References: <4282695e$1@forums-2-dub> <42826e92@forums-1-dub> <4282b3fd$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Appeon - Powerbuilder 10??
Lines: 44
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: 216.207.144.172
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 216.207.144.172
Message-ID: <428365e1$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 12 May 2005 07:19:13 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1115907553 216.207.144.172 (12 May 2005 07:19:13 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 12 May 2005 07:19:13 -0700, 216.207.144.172
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.appeon:855
Article PK: 20929

We talked about .NET compiler and Appeon at our seminar in Minneapolis. No I
don't think .NET will phase out Appeon.

--
Dean Jones [TeamSybase]
CEO
Certified PowerBuilder Developer
www.powerobjects.com
(612) 339-3355 ext 112

"Richard Keller" <richard@kellersystems.com> wrote in message
news:4282b3fd$1@forums-1-dub...
> Thanks, just got the Appeon Demo Disk in the mail. I have a team
> converting everything over to PB 10 from PB 9. Any news out there when
> and if appeon will support PB 10 or will the .Net compiler of PB11 phase
> out appeon?
>
>
> "Dean Jones" <dean_dot_jones_at_powerobjects_dot_com> wrote in message
> news:42826e92@forums-1-dub...
>> Currently Appeon support 8 and 9.
>>
>> --
>> Dean Jones [TeamSybase]
>> CEO
>> Certified PowerBuilder Developer
>> www.powerobjects.com
>> (612) 339-3355 ext 112
>>
>>
>> "Richard Keller" <richard@kellersystems.com> wrote in message
>> news:4282695e$1@forums-2-dub...
>>> Is Appeon Compatiable with Powerbuilder 10 or does the Unicode issues
>>> cause problems for any Appeon conversion of a PB 10 application.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>


Richard Keller Posted on 2005-05-13 02:28:11.0Z
From: "Richard Keller" <richard@kellersystems.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.appeon
References: <4282695e$1@forums-2-dub> <42826e92@forums-1-dub> <4282b3fd$1@forums-1-dub> <428365e1$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Appeon - Powerbuilder 10??
Lines: 50
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: bdsl.66.15.75.32.gte.net
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: bdsl.66.15.75.32.gte.net
Message-ID: <428410bb$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 12 May 2005 19:28:11 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1115951291 66.15.75.32 (12 May 2005 19:28:11 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 12 May 2005 19:28:11 -0700, bdsl.66.15.75.32.gte.net
X-Authenticated-User: dw15beta
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.appeon:858
Article PK: 12718

It seems like a converging strategy though. Too bad I missed your seminar.

"Dean Jones" <dean_dot_jones_at_powerobjects_dot_com> wrote in message
news:428365e1$1@forums-1-dub...
> We talked about .NET compiler and Appeon at our seminar in Minneapolis. No
> I don't think .NET will phase out Appeon.
>
> --
> Dean Jones [TeamSybase]
> CEO
> Certified PowerBuilder Developer
> www.powerobjects.com
> (612) 339-3355 ext 112
>
>
> "Richard Keller" <richard@kellersystems.com> wrote in message
> news:4282b3fd$1@forums-1-dub...
>> Thanks, just got the Appeon Demo Disk in the mail. I have a team
>> converting everything over to PB 10 from PB 9. Any news out there when
>> and if appeon will support PB 10 or will the .Net compiler of PB11 phase
>> out appeon?
>>
>>
>> "Dean Jones" <dean_dot_jones_at_powerobjects_dot_com> wrote in message
>> news:42826e92@forums-1-dub...
>>> Currently Appeon support 8 and 9.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dean Jones [TeamSybase]
>>> CEO
>>> Certified PowerBuilder Developer
>>> www.powerobjects.com
>>> (612) 339-3355 ext 112
>>>
>>>
>>> "Richard Keller" <richard@kellersystems.com> wrote in message
>>> news:4282695e$1@forums-2-dub...
>>>> Is Appeon Compatiable with Powerbuilder 10 or does the Unicode issues
>>>> cause problems for any Appeon conversion of a PB 10 application.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>


Dean Jones Posted on 2005-05-13 13:12:49.0Z
From: "Dean Jones" <dean_dot_jones_at_powerobjects_dot_com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.appeon
References: <4282695e$1@forums-2-dub> <42826e92@forums-1-dub> <4282b3fd$1@forums-1-dub> <428365e1$1@forums-1-dub> <428410bb$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Appeon - Powerbuilder 10??
Lines: 93
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: 216.207.144.172
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 216.207.144.172
Message-ID: <4284a7d1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 13 May 2005 06:12:49 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1115989969 216.207.144.172 (13 May 2005 06:12:49 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 13 May 2005 06:12:49 -0700, 216.207.144.172
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.appeon:863
Article PK: 20931

Yes, but Appeon is out today and works great. .NET is still being defined
and has not even come close to identifying all the issues with developing a
web application.

I really big advantage to Appeon right now is the ability to consume remote
components.

PowerObjects works very closely with Appeon to help make sure features
needed for web development are in the product. Too many people simply try to
move a C/S application to the web. This does not add a lot of value, simply
the same application in a browser. The goal should be to have business
functionality that can be consumed from other web application as well as
your applications consuming other web resources.

I have been developing PB applications since 2.0. Every company developers
PB a little different. So for .NET compile to handle all the strange things
that people do with there code is a stretch. What happens if a user starts a
transaction in the open event of a window? Updates data under a command
button and then commits when the user closes the window. How will this be
moved to the web? Statefull components on the server?

I personally would rather see the .NET compiler save pages as ASPX pages
instead of converting a whole application. Now I can develop ASPX pages
faster using PB then I could using VS. And I believe it can be done and done
well. I don't believe .NET compile will be successful on its first try. I
think it took Appeon till version 2.8 before it was ready for primetime.

If the only reason you move an application to a browser is to reduce
deployment you are missing the benefits of a browser.

--
Dean Jones [TeamSybase]
CEO
Certified PowerBuilder Developer
www.powerobjects.com
(612) 339-3355 ext 112

"Richard Keller" <richard@kellersystems.com> wrote in message
news:428410bb$1@forums-1-dub...
> It seems like a converging strategy though. Too bad I missed your
> seminar.
>
> "Dean Jones" <dean_dot_jones_at_powerobjects_dot_com> wrote in message
> news:428365e1$1@forums-1-dub...
>> We talked about .NET compiler and Appeon at our seminar in Minneapolis.
>> No I don't think .NET will phase out Appeon.
>>
>> --
>> Dean Jones [TeamSybase]
>> CEO
>> Certified PowerBuilder Developer
>> www.powerobjects.com
>> (612) 339-3355 ext 112
>>
>>
>> "Richard Keller" <richard@kellersystems.com> wrote in message
>> news:4282b3fd$1@forums-1-dub...
>>> Thanks, just got the Appeon Demo Disk in the mail. I have a team
>>> converting everything over to PB 10 from PB 9. Any news out there when
>>> and if appeon will support PB 10 or will the .Net compiler of PB11 phase
>>> out appeon?
>>>
>>>
>>> "Dean Jones" <dean_dot_jones_at_powerobjects_dot_com> wrote in message
>>> news:42826e92@forums-1-dub...
>>>> Currently Appeon support 8 and 9.
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Dean Jones [TeamSybase]
>>>> CEO
>>>> Certified PowerBuilder Developer
>>>> www.powerobjects.com
>>>> (612) 339-3355 ext 112
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Richard Keller" <richard@kellersystems.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:4282695e$1@forums-2-dub...
>>>>> Is Appeon Compatiable with Powerbuilder 10 or does the Unicode issues
>>>>> cause problems for any Appeon conversion of a PB 10 application.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>