Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Binary distribution

9 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2005-06-14 12:32:52.0Z
Daniel Gougerot Posted on 2005-06-10 08:23:19.0Z
Sender: 558f.42a94d99.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Daniel Gougerot
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
Subject: Binary distribution
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <42a94df3.5591.1681692777@sybase.com>
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.42
X-Original-Trace: 10 Jun 2005 01:23:15 -0700, 10.22.241.42
Lines: 18
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 10 Jun 2005 01:23:16 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 10 Jun 2005 01:23:19 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1118391799 10.22.108.75 (10 Jun 2005 01:23:19 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 10 Jun 2005 01:23:19 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:420
Article PK: 8863

Hi,

I want to distribute binary files to PALM devices with
M-Business.

I have no problem with prc files (programs), but with pdb
files (data), the time to transfert is very long. It depends
on the number of records of the file.

With an USB connection, I need 5 minutes to transfert a file
with 5000 records (the size of the file is less than 250
KB!, less than 1KB/s).

Is there a way to optimize the transfert?

Thanks,

Daniel


Enrico Pallazzo Posted on 2005-06-10 13:55:15.0Z
From: "Enrico Pallazzo" <enricopallazzo@myway.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
References: <42a94df3.5591.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Binary distribution
Lines: 35
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2527
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2527
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-dub-127.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-dub-127.sybase.com
Message-ID: <42a99bc3$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 10 Jun 2005 06:55:15 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1118411715 10.22.120.127 (10 Jun 2005 06:55:15 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 10 Jun 2005 06:55:15 -0700, vpn-dub-127.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:424
Article PK: 8864

You could try putting

SyncPref WirelessFlush FALSE

At the bottom of your sync.conf file, that will make the TCP/IP packets
bigger but the performance is mostly related to the number of records (you
have to restart the sync server after to pick up the new setting). However,
opening, writing and closing 5000 records on Palm takes time and is probably
the main cause of the long sync time.

<Daniel Gougerot> wrote in message
news:42a94df3.5591.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hi,
>
> I want to distribute binary files to PALM devices with
> M-Business.
>
> I have no problem with prc files (programs), but with pdb
> files (data), the time to transfert is very long. It depends
> on the number of records of the file.
>
> With an USB connection, I need 5 minutes to transfert a file
> with 5000 records (the size of the file is less than 250
> KB!, less than 1KB/s).
>
> Is there a way to optimize the transfert?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Daniel


Daniel Gougerot Posted on 2005-06-10 14:18:01.0Z
Sender: 3769.42a9a01e.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Daniel Gougerot
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
Subject: Re: Binary distribution
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <42a9a119.3778.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <42a99bc3$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 10 Jun 2005 07:18:01 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1118413081 10.22.241.41 (10 Jun 2005 07:18:01 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 10 Jun 2005 07:18:01 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 24
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:425
Article PK: 8867

Hi Enrico,

I've try with this parameter (after restarting the sync
server), but there is no change.

I think the problem is related to the transfert method of
M-Business. Files seems to be transfered record by record
(one http request for each record).

> You could try putting
>
> SyncPref WirelessFlush FALSE
>
> At the bottom of your sync.conf file, that will make the
> TCP/IP packets bigger but the performance is mostly
> related to the number of records (you have to restart the
> sync server after to pick up the new setting). However,
> opening, writing and closing 5000 records on Palm takes
> time and is probably the main cause of the long sync
> time.
>
>
>


Enrico Pallazzo Posted on 2005-06-10 14:45:48.0Z
From: "Enrico Pallazzo" <enricopallazzo@myway.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
References: <42a99bc3$1@forums-1-dub> <42a9a119.3778.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Binary distribution
Lines: 32
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2527
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2527
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-dub-127.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-dub-127.sybase.com
Message-ID: <42a9a79c$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 10 Jun 2005 07:45:48 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1118414748 10.22.120.127 (10 Jun 2005 07:45:48 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 10 Jun 2005 07:45:48 -0700, vpn-dub-127.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:426
Article PK: 17680

No the MBA sync protocol uses only one HTTP request/response per sync. As I
mentioned bottleneck is most likely the number of records.

<Daniel Gougerot> wrote in message
news:42a9a119.3778.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hi Enrico,
>
> I've try with this parameter (after restarting the sync
> server), but there is no change.
>
> I think the problem is related to the transfert method of
> M-Business. Files seems to be transfered record by record
> (one http request for each record).
>
>
>> You could try putting
>>
>> SyncPref WirelessFlush FALSE
>>
>> At the bottom of your sync.conf file, that will make the
>> TCP/IP packets bigger but the performance is mostly
>> related to the number of records (you have to restart the
>> sync server after to pick up the new setting). However,
>> opening, writing and closing 5000 records on Palm takes
>> time and is probably the main cause of the long sync
>> time.
>>
>>
>>


"Rob Waywell" <rwaywell Posted on 2005-06-10 11:36:33.0Z
From: "Rob Waywell" <rwaywell@no_spam.ianywhere.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
References: <42a94df3.5591.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Binary distribution
Lines: 48
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: rwaywell-xp.sybase.com
Message-ID: <42a97b3d$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 10 Jun 2005 04:36:29 -0700, rwaywell-xp.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 10 Jun 2005 04:36:30 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 10 Jun 2005 04:36:33 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1118403393 10.22.108.75 (10 Jun 2005 04:36:33 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 10 Jun 2005 04:36:33 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:422
Article PK: 8865

Daniel,
From the sounds of this you are transferring a PDB file through HotSync
and there is no M-Business software involved on either the client or server
side. Is that correct?

--
-----------------------------------------------
Robert Waywell
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - Version 8
Sybase Certified Professional

Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions

Please respond ONLY to newsgroup

EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all

To Submit Bug Reports:
http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=Bug

SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288

Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere
Developer Community at www.ianywhere.com/developer

<Daniel Gougerot> wrote in message
news:42a94df3.5591.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hi,
>
> I want to distribute binary files to PALM devices with
> M-Business.
>
> I have no problem with prc files (programs), but with pdb
> files (data), the time to transfert is very long. It depends
> on the number of records of the file.
>
> With an USB connection, I need 5 minutes to transfert a file
> with 5000 records (the size of the file is less than 250
> KB!, less than 1KB/s).
>
> Is there a way to optimize the transfert?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Daniel


Daniel Gougerot Posted on 2005-06-10 13:22:52.0Z
Sender: 558f.42a94d99.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Daniel Gougerot
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
Subject: Re: Binary distribution
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <42a99428.5940.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <42a97b3d$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.42
X-Original-Trace: 10 Jun 2005 06:22:48 -0700, 10.22.241.42
Lines: 66
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 10 Jun 2005 06:22:49 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 10 Jun 2005 06:22:52 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1118409772 10.22.108.75 (10 Jun 2005 06:22:52 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 10 Jun 2005 06:22:52 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:423
Article PK: 8866

Hi Robert,

i'm not using hotsync (we don't want to install it on PC).
I'm using MBConnect on the PALM.

The connection is done thru an USB craddle and a PPP Sofware
on the PC (Softick PPP).

I think it's not a network problem. The time to transfert
HTML and PRC files is correct. For a PDB file, it depends
only on the number of records (not on the size of the file).

The transfert is a little bit faster using the Hotsync...

Thanks, Daniel.

> Daniel,
> From the sounds of this you are transferring a PDB
> file through HotSync and there is no M-Business software
> involved on either the client or server side. Is that
> correct?
>
> --
> -----------------------------------------------
> Robert Waywell
> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - Version 8
> Sybase Certified Professional
>
> Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions
>
> Please respond ONLY to newsgroup
>
> EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
> choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all
>
> To Submit Bug Reports:
>
http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=Bug
>
> SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
> http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288
>
> Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available
> through the iAnywhere Developer Community at
> www.ianywhere.com/developer <Daniel Gougerot> wrote in
> message news:42a94df3.5591.1681692777@sybase.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to distribute binary files to PALM devices with
> > M-Business.
> >
> > I have no problem with prc files (programs), but with
> > pdb files (data), the time to transfert is very long. It
> > depends on the number of records of the file.
> >
> > With an USB connection, I need 5 minutes to transfert a
> > file with 5000 records (the size of the file is less
> > than 250 KB!, less than 1KB/s).
> >
> > Is there a way to optimize the transfert?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Daniel
>
>


"Rob Waywell" <rwaywell Posted on 2005-06-13 12:20:47.0Z
From: "Rob Waywell" <rwaywell@no_spam.ianywhere.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
References: <42a97b3d$1@forums-2-dub> <42a99428.5940.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Binary distribution
Lines: 95
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: rwaywell-xp.sybase.com
Message-ID: <42ad7a1b$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 13 Jun 2005 05:20:43 -0700, rwaywell-xp.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 13 Jun 2005 05:20:44 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 13 Jun 2005 05:20:47 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1118665247 10.22.108.75 (13 Jun 2005 05:20:47 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 13 Jun 2005 05:20:47 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:429
Article PK: 8869

So when you say that "> The transfert is a little bit faster using the
Hotsync...", how much is a "little bit"? Does it take half the time? 1/4 of
the time?

--
-----------------------------------------------
Robert Waywell
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - Version 8
Sybase Certified Professional

Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions

Please respond ONLY to newsgroup

EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all

To Submit Bug Reports:
http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=Bug

SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288

Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere
Developer Community at www.ianywhere.com/developer

<Daniel Gougerot> wrote in message
news:42a99428.5940.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hi Robert,
>
> i'm not using hotsync (we don't want to install it on PC).
> I'm using MBConnect on the PALM.
>
> The connection is done thru an USB craddle and a PPP Sofware
> on the PC (Softick PPP).
>
> I think it's not a network problem. The time to transfert
> HTML and PRC files is correct. For a PDB file, it depends
> only on the number of records (not on the size of the file).
>
> The transfert is a little bit faster using the Hotsync...
>
> Thanks, Daniel.
>
>> Daniel,
>> From the sounds of this you are transferring a PDB
>> file through HotSync and there is no M-Business software
>> involved on either the client or server side. Is that
>> correct?
>>
>> --
>> -----------------------------------------------
>> Robert Waywell
>> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - Version 8
>> Sybase Certified Professional
>>
>> Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions
>>
>> Please respond ONLY to newsgroup
>>
>> EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
>> choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all
>>
>> To Submit Bug Reports:
>>
> http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=Bug
>>
>> SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
>> http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288
>>
>> Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available
>> through the iAnywhere Developer Community at
>> www.ianywhere.com/developer <Daniel Gougerot> wrote in
>> message news:42a94df3.5591.1681692777@sybase.com...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I want to distribute binary files to PALM devices with
>> > M-Business.
>> >
>> > I have no problem with prc files (programs), but with
>> > pdb files (data), the time to transfert is very long. It
>> > depends on the number of records of the file.
>> >
>> > With an USB connection, I need 5 minutes to transfert a
>> > file with 5000 records (the size of the file is less
>> > than 250 KB!, less than 1KB/s).
>> >
>> > Is there a way to optimize the transfert?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Daniel
>>
>>


Daniel Gougerot Posted on 2005-06-14 11:22:38.0Z
Sender: 30d.42aebd72.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Daniel Gougerot
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
Subject: Re: Binary distribution
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <42aebdfe.316.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <42ad7a1b$1@forums-2-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 14 Jun 2005 04:22:38 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1118748158 10.22.241.41 (14 Jun 2005 04:22:38 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 14 Jun 2005 04:22:38 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 102
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:430
Article PK: 8870

Less than 5%...

Daniel

> So when you say that "> The transfert is a little bit
> faster using the Hotsync...", how much is a "little bit"?
> Does it take half the time? 1/4 of the time?
>
> --
> -----------------------------------------------
> Robert Waywell
> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - Version 8
> Sybase Certified Professional
>
> Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions
>
> Please respond ONLY to newsgroup
>
> EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
> choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all
>
> To Submit Bug Reports:
>
http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=Bug
>
> SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
> http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288
>
> Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available
> through the iAnywhere Developer Community at
> www.ianywhere.com/developer <Daniel Gougerot> wrote in
> message news:42a99428.5940.1681692777@sybase.com...
> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > i'm not using hotsync (we don't want to install it on
> > PC). I'm using MBConnect on the PALM.
> >
> > The connection is done thru an USB craddle and a PPP
> > Sofware on the PC (Softick PPP).
> >
> > I think it's not a network problem. The time to
> > transfert HTML and PRC files is correct. For a PDB file,
> > it depends only on the number of records (not on the
> size of the file). >
> > The transfert is a little bit faster using the
> Hotsync... >
> > Thanks, Daniel.
> >
> >> Daniel,
> >> From the sounds of this you are transferring a PDB
> >> file through HotSync and there is no M-Business
> software >> involved on either the client or server side.
> Is that >> correct?
> >>
> >> --
> >> -----------------------------------------------
> >> Robert Waywell
> >> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - Version 8
> >> Sybase Certified Professional
> >>
> >> Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions
> >>
> >> Please respond ONLY to newsgroup
> >>
> >> EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
> >> choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to
> all >>
> >> To Submit Bug Reports:
> >>
> >
>
http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=Bug
> >>
> >> SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support
> Status >> http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288
> >>
> >> Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available
> >> through the iAnywhere Developer Community at
> >> www.ianywhere.com/developer <Daniel Gougerot> wrote in
> >> message news:42a94df3.5591.1681692777@sybase.com...
> >> > Hi,
> >> >
> >> > I want to distribute binary files to PALM devices
> with >> > M-Business.
> >> >
> >> > I have no problem with prc files (programs), but with
> >> > pdb files (data), the time to transfert is very long.
> It >> > depends on the number of records of the file.
> >> >
> >> > With an USB connection, I need 5 minutes to transfert
> a >> > file with 5000 records (the size of the file is
> less >> > than 250 KB!, less than 1KB/s).
> >> >
> >> > Is there a way to optimize the transfert?
> >> >
> >> > Thanks,
> >> >
> >> > Daniel
> >>
> >>
>
>


"Rob Waywell" <rwaywell Posted on 2005-06-14 12:32:52.0Z
From: "Rob Waywell" <rwaywell@no_spam.ianywhere.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
References: <42ad7a1b$1@forums-2-dub> <42aebdfe.316.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Binary distribution
Lines: 135
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: rwaywell-xp.sybase.com
Message-ID: <42aece70$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 14 Jun 2005 05:32:48 -0700, rwaywell-xp.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 14 Jun 2005 05:32:49 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 14 Jun 2005 05:32:52 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1118752372 10.22.108.75 (14 Jun 2005 05:32:52 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 14 Jun 2005 05:32:52 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:431
Article PK: 8871

A 5% difference sounds pretty negligible. If it is taking 5 minutes through
the M-Bus client but still taking 4 minutes and 45 seconds through the hot
sync conduit, then I doubt that there is much we could do to speed it up.

If you sync different sizes of .pdb files, does the time taken to do the
transfer scale linearly? Does the gap between the M-Bus client doing the
transfer and hot sync doing the transfer remain at 5%?

--
-----------------------------------------------
Robert Waywell
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - Version 8
Sybase Certified Professional

Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions

Please respond ONLY to newsgroup

EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all

To Submit Bug Reports:
http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=Bug

SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288

Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere
Developer Community at www.ianywhere.com/developer

<Daniel Gougerot> wrote in message
news:42aebdfe.316.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Less than 5%...
>
> Daniel
>
>> So when you say that "> The transfert is a little bit
>> faster using the Hotsync...", how much is a "little bit"?
>> Does it take half the time? 1/4 of the time?
>>
>> --
>> -----------------------------------------------
>> Robert Waywell
>> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - Version 8
>> Sybase Certified Professional
>>
>> Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions
>>
>> Please respond ONLY to newsgroup
>>
>> EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
>> choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all
>>
>> To Submit Bug Reports:
>>
> http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=Bug
>>
>> SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
>> http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288
>>
>> Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available
>> through the iAnywhere Developer Community at
>> www.ianywhere.com/developer <Daniel Gougerot> wrote in
>> message news:42a99428.5940.1681692777@sybase.com...
>> > Hi Robert,
>> >
>> > i'm not using hotsync (we don't want to install it on
>> > PC). I'm using MBConnect on the PALM.
>> >
>> > The connection is done thru an USB craddle and a PPP
>> > Sofware on the PC (Softick PPP).
>> >
>> > I think it's not a network problem. The time to
>> > transfert HTML and PRC files is correct. For a PDB file,
>> > it depends only on the number of records (not on the
>> size of the file). >
>> > The transfert is a little bit faster using the
>> Hotsync... >
>> > Thanks, Daniel.
>> >
>> >> Daniel,
>> >> From the sounds of this you are transferring a PDB
>> >> file through HotSync and there is no M-Business
>> software >> involved on either the client or server side.
>> Is that >> correct?
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> -----------------------------------------------
>> >> Robert Waywell
>> >> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - Version 8
>> >> Sybase Certified Professional
>> >>
>> >> Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions
>> >>
>> >> Please respond ONLY to newsgroup
>> >>
>> >> EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
>> >> choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to
>> all >>
>> >> To Submit Bug Reports:
>> >>
>> >
>>
> http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=Bug
>> >>
>> >> SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support
>> Status >> http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288
>> >>
>> >> Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available
>> >> through the iAnywhere Developer Community at
>> >> www.ianywhere.com/developer <Daniel Gougerot> wrote in
>> >> message news:42a94df3.5591.1681692777@sybase.com...
>> >> > Hi,
>> >> >
>> >> > I want to distribute binary files to PALM devices
>> with >> > M-Business.
>> >> >
>> >> > I have no problem with prc files (programs), but with
>> >> > pdb files (data), the time to transfert is very long.
>> It >> > depends on the number of records of the file.
>> >> >
>> >> > With an USB connection, I need 5 minutes to transfert
>> a >> > file with 5000 records (the size of the file is
>> less >> > than 250 KB!, less than 1KB/s).
>> >> >
>> >> > Is there a way to optimize the transfert?
>> >> >
>> >> > Thanks,
>> >> >
>> >> > Daniel
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>>