Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

upgrade from v5.2 to v6

3 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2005-08-16 14:37:59.0Z
natalie smachylo Posted on 2005-08-15 15:10:46.0Z
Sender: bb3.4300b033.1804289383@sybase.com
From: natalie smachylo
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: upgrade from v5.2 to v6
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4300b076.bb5.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 15 Aug 2005 08:10:46 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1124118646 10.22.241.41 (15 Aug 2005 08:10:46 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 15 Aug 2005 08:10:46 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 11
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:4686
Article PK: 17367

We are in the process of upgrading Pylon Application Server
from v5.2 to V6. There are a few questions regarding the
install that I hope you will be able to answer. Why does a
full blown notes client need to be loaded on to the Server
for it to work properly as Notes does not recommend the
client being loaded onto the same box where the server
resides. Also, why does the app install require ASP. Also,
when IIS is installed and running this conflicts with the
Domino server http task that is required when we are running
with web based mail on the same box. How do we work around
this. Thanks for your time.


Stephen Rice Posted on 2005-08-16 10:52:59.0Z
From: Stephen Rice <NSsrice@ianywhere.com>
Reply-To: NSsrice@ianywhere.com
Organization: iAnywhere Solutions
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.2 (Windows/20050317)
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: upgrade from v5.2 to v6
References: <4300b076.bb5.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4300b076.bb5.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: srice-laptop.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: srice-laptop.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4301c58b$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 16 Aug 2005 03:52:59 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1124189579 158.76.235.230 (16 Aug 2005 03:52:59 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 16 Aug 2005 03:52:59 -0700, srice-laptop.sybase.com
Lines: 41
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:4694
Article PK: 8492

Hi

I've answered inline

natalie smachylo wrote:
> We are in the process of upgrading Pylon Application Server
> from v5.2 to V6. There are a few questions regarding the
> install that I hope you will be able to answer. Why does a
> full blown notes client need to be loaded on to the Server
> for it to work properly as Notes does not recommend the
> client being loaded onto the same box where the server
> resides.

- As indicated in the Installation guide we recommend that PA be
installed on a dedicated computer. We specificly state that PA should
not be installed on the same computer as you Lotus server because of
this IBM restriction


Also, why does the app install require ASP. Also,
> when IIS is installed and running this conflicts with the
> Domino server http task that is required when we are running
> with web based mail on the same box. How do we work around
> this. Thanks for your time.

PA runs as a web application under IIS. Refer to the Administrators
guide for a full description of the architecture.

In addition to the docs I suggest you review the technote "Pylon
Anywhere Upgrade Best Practices" at
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/technotes/pa_upgrade_best_practices.html

/steve
--
Stephen Rice
Technical Services Manager
iAnywhere Solutions

--- Please Post ---
Whitepapers, Tech Docs, Solved Cases, Bug Fixes and
"Report a bug" are all available on www.ianywhere.com


Stephen Rice Posted on 2005-08-16 14:37:59.0Z
From: Stephen Rice <NSsrice@ianywhere.com>
Reply-To: NSsrice@ianywhere.com
Organization: iAnywhere Solutions
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.2 (Windows/20050317)
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: upgrade from v5.2 to v6
References: <4300b076.bb5.1681692777@sybase.com> <4301c58b$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <4301c58b$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: srice-laptop.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4301fa43$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 16 Aug 2005 07:37:55 -0700, srice-laptop.sybase.com
Lines: 62
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 16 Aug 2005 07:37:56 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 16 Aug 2005 07:37:59 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1124203079 10.22.108.75 (16 Aug 2005 07:37:59 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 16 Aug 2005 07:37:59 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:4697
Article PK: 8491


Stephen Rice wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've answered inline
>
>
> natalie smachylo wrote:
>
>> We are in the process of upgrading Pylon Application Server
>> from v5.2 to V6. There are a few questions regarding the
>> install that I hope you will be able to answer. Why does a
>> full blown notes client need to be loaded on to the Server
>> for it to work properly as Notes does not recommend the
>> client being loaded onto the same box where the server
>> resides.
>
> - As indicated in the Installation guide we recommend that PA be
> installed on a dedicated computer. We specificly state that PA should
> not be installed on the same computer as you Lotus server because of
> this IBM restriction
>
>
> Also, why does the app install require ASP. Also,
>
>> when IIS is installed and running this conflicts with the
>> Domino server http task that is required when we are running
>> with web based mail on the same box. How do we work around
>> this. Thanks for your time.
>
>
> PA runs as a web application under IIS. Refer to the Administrators
> guide for a full description of the architecture.
>
> In addition to the docs I suggest you review the technote "Pylon
> Anywhere Upgrade Best Practices" at
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/technotes/pa_upgrade_best_practices.html
>
> /steve

spoke a bit too soon since I just realized you said App server not
anywhere. Sorry

The issues are similar

App server needs to be on a separate machine from Domino for the same
reason.

App Server runs as a web application under IIS

The documentation is definitely less specific on these topics than it is
for Pylon Anywhere. I'll raise a request to address this.

/steve


--
Stephen Rice
Technical Services Manager
iAnywhere Solutions

--- Please Post ---
Whitepapers, Tech Docs, Solved Cases, Bug Fixes and
"Report a bug" are all available on www.ianywhere.com