Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Treeview control

13 posts in Objects Last posting was on 2005-10-04 21:50:40.0Z
Marina Posted on 2005-09-30 15:03:26.0Z
Sender: 7913.433d503f.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Marina
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
Subject: Treeview control
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <433d53be.7929.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 30 Sep 2005 08:03:26 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1128092606 10.22.241.41 (30 Sep 2005 08:03:26 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 30 Sep 2005 08:03:26 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 12
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:8639
Article PK: 735853

Hi everyone!

After migrating application from PB5 to PB8 I noticed that
the treeview control (from one of the application window)
populates much slower than before. We populate items of the
treeview control by inserting data from dw control using
function InsertItemLast(). When I debuged it I noteced
inserting items takes the most time. We have about 6000 rows
to insert and this number is growing. Do you have any
suggestions how to make it work faster?

Thank You.


Chris Pollach Posted on 2005-09-30 16:02:17.0Z
From: "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.dot.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
References: <433d53be.7929.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Treeview control
Lines: 32
Organization: STD Inc.
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4927.1200
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4927.1200
NNTP-Posting-Host: stealth.nserc.ca
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: stealth.nserc.ca
Message-ID: <433d6189$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 30 Sep 2005 09:02:17 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1128096137 198.96.2.93 (30 Sep 2005 09:02:17 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 30 Sep 2005 09:02:17 -0700, stealth.nserc.ca
X-Authenticated-User: pb105beta
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:8640
Article PK: 735855

Marina;

The joy of moving from a native PB control to the Microsoft one :)

So the tack-tick I would recommend at this time would be to carefully
populate the tree by:

1) Only populate the top level.
2) Do NOT use the sort feature
3) Insert your new rows LAST
4) Sort your data first (see #3)
5) Populate the branches of the tree dynamically using points 2-4 above.

Chris

<Marina> wrote in message news:433d53be.7929.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hi everyone!
>
> After migrating application from PB5 to PB8 I noticed that
> the treeview control (from one of the application window)
> populates much slower than before. We populate items of the
> treeview control by inserting data from dw control using
> function InsertItemLast(). When I debuged it I noteced
> inserting items takes the most time. We have about 6000 rows
> to insert and this number is growing. Do you have any
> suggestions how to make it work faster?
>
> Thank You.


Chris Pollach Posted on 2005-09-30 16:12:54.0Z
From: "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.dot.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
References: <433d53be.7929.1681692777@sybase.com> <433d6189$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Treeview control
Lines: 41
Organization: STD Inc.
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4927.1200
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4927.1200
NNTP-Posting-Host: stealth.nserc.ca
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: stealth.nserc.ca
Message-ID: <433d6406$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 30 Sep 2005 09:12:54 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1128096774 198.96.2.93 (30 Sep 2005 09:12:54 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 30 Sep 2005 09:12:54 -0700, stealth.nserc.ca
X-Authenticated-User: pb105beta
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:8641
Article PK: 735854

PS: As soon as PB 10.5 is released .. use the TreeView DataWindow (Ooooo ..
now that's fast!)

"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.dot.com> wrote in message
news:433d6189$1@forums-1-dub...
> Marina;
>
> The joy of moving from a native PB control to the Microsoft one :)
>
> So the tack-tick I would recommend at this time would be to carefully
> populate the tree by:
>
> 1) Only populate the top level.
> 2) Do NOT use the sort feature
> 3) Insert your new rows LAST
> 4) Sort your data first (see #3)
> 5) Populate the branches of the tree dynamically using points 2-4 above.
>
> Chris
>
>
>
> <Marina> wrote in message news:433d53be.7929.1681692777@sybase.com...
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > After migrating application from PB5 to PB8 I noticed that
> > the treeview control (from one of the application window)
> > populates much slower than before. We populate items of the
> > treeview control by inserting data from dw control using
> > function InsertItemLast(). When I debuged it I noteced
> > inserting items takes the most time. We have about 6000 rows
> > to insert and this number is growing. Do you have any
> > suggestions how to make it work faster?
> >
> > Thank You.
>
>


Marina Posted on 2005-09-30 16:22:55.0Z
Sender: 7913.433d503f.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Marina
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
Subject: Re: Treeview control
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <433d665f.7aed.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <433d6189$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 30 Sep 2005 09:22:55 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1128097375 10.22.241.41 (30 Sep 2005 09:22:55 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 30 Sep 2005 09:22:55 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 43
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:8642
Article PK: 735857

Thank you, Chris!

That's exactly what we are doing. I guess we have to live
with that, unless there are any other solutions to that
problem.

Thanks again,
Marina

> Marina;
>
> The joy of moving from a native PB control to the
> Microsoft one :)
>
> So the tack-tick I would recommend at this time would be
> to carefully populate the tree by:
>
> 1) Only populate the top level.
> 2) Do NOT use the sort feature
> 3) Insert your new rows LAST
> 4) Sort your data first (see #3)
> 5) Populate the branches of the tree dynamically using
> points 2-4 above.
>
> Chris
>
>
>
> <Marina> wrote in message
> > news:433d53be.7929.1681692777@sybase.com... Hi everyone!
> >
> > After migrating application from PB5 to PB8 I noticed
> > that the treeview control (from one of the application
> > window) populates much slower than before. We populate
> > items of the treeview control by inserting data from dw
> > control using function InsertItemLast(). When I debuged
> > it I noteced inserting items takes the most time. We
> > have about 6000 rows to insert and this number is
> > growing. Do you have any suggestions how to make it work
> faster? >
> > Thank You.
>
>


Philip Salgannik Posted on 2005-09-30 16:46:00.0Z
Sender: 7b12.433d6b06.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Philip Salgannik
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
Subject: Re: Treeview control
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <433d6bc8.7b25.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <433d665f.7aed.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 30 Sep 2005 09:46:00 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1128098760 10.22.241.41 (30 Sep 2005 09:46:00 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 30 Sep 2005 09:46:00 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 45
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:8643
Article PK: 735858

6000 rows is not that big of a number. Without looking at
your code it's hard to say, but it's possible that you are
populating the same items over and over again.

>
> That's exactly what we are doing. I guess we have to live
> with that, unless there are any other solutions to that
> problem.
>
> Thanks again,
> Marina
>
> > Marina;
> >
> > The joy of moving from a native PB control to the
> > Microsoft one :)
> >
> > So the tack-tick I would recommend at this time would be
> > to carefully populate the tree by:
> >
> > 1) Only populate the top level.
> > 2) Do NOT use the sort feature
> > 3) Insert your new rows LAST
> > 4) Sort your data first (see #3)
> > 5) Populate the branches of the tree dynamically using
> > points 2-4 above.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> >
> >
> > <Marina> wrote in message
> > > news:433d53be.7929.1681692777@sybase.com... Hi
> > everyone! >
> > > After migrating application from PB5 to PB8 I noticed
> > > that the treeview control (from one of the application
> > > window) populates much slower than before. We populate
> > > items of the treeview control by inserting data from
> > > dw control using function InsertItemLast(). When I
> > > debuged it I noteced inserting items takes the most
> > > time. We have about 6000 rows to insert and this
> > > number is growing. Do you have any suggestions how to
> > make it work faster? >
> > > Thank You.
> >
> >


Chris Pollach Posted on 2005-09-30 19:19:22.0Z
From: "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.dot.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
References: <433d6189$1@forums-1-dub> <433d665f.7aed.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Treeview control
Lines: 51
Organization: STD Inc.
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4927.1200
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4927.1200
NNTP-Posting-Host: stealth.nserc.ca
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: stealth.nserc.ca
Message-ID: <433d8fba@forums-1-dub>
Date: 30 Sep 2005 12:19:22 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1128107962 198.96.2.93 (30 Sep 2005 12:19:22 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 30 Sep 2005 12:19:22 -0700, stealth.nserc.ca
X-Authenticated-User: pb105beta
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:8644
Article PK: 735860

Do not forget that compiling into machine code and optimizing for "Speed"
should boost the process 100's x faster!

<Marina> wrote in message news:433d665f.7aed.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Thank you, Chris!
>
> That's exactly what we are doing. I guess we have to live
> with that, unless there are any other solutions to that
> problem.
>
> Thanks again,
> Marina
>
> > Marina;
> >
> > The joy of moving from a native PB control to the
> > Microsoft one :)
> >
> > So the tack-tick I would recommend at this time would be
> > to carefully populate the tree by:
> >
> > 1) Only populate the top level.
> > 2) Do NOT use the sort feature
> > 3) Insert your new rows LAST
> > 4) Sort your data first (see #3)
> > 5) Populate the branches of the tree dynamically using
> > points 2-4 above.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> >
> >
> > <Marina> wrote in message
> > > news:433d53be.7929.1681692777@sybase.com... Hi everyone!
> > >
> > > After migrating application from PB5 to PB8 I noticed
> > > that the treeview control (from one of the application
> > > window) populates much slower than before. We populate
> > > items of the treeview control by inserting data from dw
> > > control using function InsertItemLast(). When I debuged
> > > it I noteced inserting items takes the most time. We
> > > have about 6000 rows to insert and this number is
> > > growing. Do you have any suggestions how to make it work
> > faster? >
> > > Thank You.
> >
> >


Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] Posted on 2005-09-30 19:53:37.0Z
From: "Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]" <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.6 (Windows/20050716)
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
Subject: Re: Treeview control
References: <433d6189$1@forums-1-dub> <433d665f.7aed.1681692777@sybase.com> <433d8fba@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <433d8fba@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: 216.250.69.98
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 216.250.69.98
Message-ID: <433d97c1$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 30 Sep 2005 12:53:37 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1128110017 216.250.69.98 (30 Sep 2005 12:53:37 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 30 Sep 2005 12:53:37 -0700, 216.250.69.98
Lines: 64
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:8645
Article PK: 735859

What kind of crazy powder do you put in your milkshake every morning???

Machine code, on the rare occasion that you can actually compile it, has
never been benchmarked to show numbers like that.

--
Roy

Chris Pollach wrote:
> Do not forget that compiling into machine code and optimizing for "Speed"
> should boost the process 100's x faster!
>
>
> <Marina> wrote in message news:433d665f.7aed.1681692777@sybase.com...
>
>>Thank you, Chris!
>>
>>That's exactly what we are doing. I guess we have to live
>>with that, unless there are any other solutions to that
>>problem.
>>
>>Thanks again,
>>Marina
>>
>>
>>>Marina;
>>>
>>> The joy of moving from a native PB control to the
>>>Microsoft one :)
>>>
>>>So the tack-tick I would recommend at this time would be
>>>to carefully populate the tree by:
>>>
>>>1) Only populate the top level.
>>>2) Do NOT use the sort feature
>>>3) Insert your new rows LAST
>>>4) Sort your data first (see #3)
>>>5) Populate the branches of the tree dynamically using
>>>points 2-4 above.
>>>
>>>Chris
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>><Marina> wrote in message
>>>
>>>>news:433d53be.7929.1681692777@sybase.com... Hi everyone!
>>>>
>>>>After migrating application from PB5 to PB8 I noticed
>>>>that the treeview control (from one of the application
>>>>window) populates much slower than before. We populate
>>>>items of the treeview control by inserting data from dw
>>>>control using function InsertItemLast(). When I debuged
>>>>it I noteced inserting items takes the most time. We
>>>>have about 6000 rows to insert and this number is
>>>>growing. Do you have any suggestions how to make it work
>>>
>>>faster? >
>>>
>>>>Thank You.
>>>
>>>
>
>


John Posted on 2005-09-30 19:56:25.0Z
From: John <J0hnD_N0_SPAM@D3lWar3.c0m>
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.6 (Windows/20050716)
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
Subject: Re: Treeview control
References: <433d6189$1@forums-1-dub> <433d665f.7aed.1681692777@sybase.com> <433d8fba@forums-1-dub> <433d97c1$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <433d97c1$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: 68.199.83.64
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 68.199.83.64
Message-ID: <433d9869@forums-1-dub>
Date: 30 Sep 2005 12:56:25 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1128110185 68.199.83.64 (30 Sep 2005 12:56:25 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 30 Sep 2005 12:56:25 -0700, 68.199.83.64
Lines: 71
X-Authenticated-User: pb105beta
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:8646
Article PK: 735861

ROFL, I just spewed Dr. Pepper all over my desk Roy.

Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] wrote:
> What kind of crazy powder do you put in your milkshake every morning???
>
> Machine code, on the rare occasion that you can actually compile it, has
> never been benchmarked to show numbers like that.
>
> --
> Roy
>
> Chris Pollach wrote:
>
>> Do not forget that compiling into machine code and optimizing for
>> "Speed"
>> should boost the process 100's x faster!
>>
>>
>> <Marina> wrote in message news:433d665f.7aed.1681692777@sybase.com...
>>
>>> Thank you, Chris!
>>>
>>> That's exactly what we are doing. I guess we have to live
>>> with that, unless there are any other solutions to that
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> Thanks again,
>>> Marina
>>>
>>>
>>>> Marina;
>>>>
>>>> The joy of moving from a native PB control to the
>>>> Microsoft one :)
>>>>
>>>> So the tack-tick I would recommend at this time would be
>>>> to carefully populate the tree by:
>>>>
>>>> 1) Only populate the top level.
>>>> 2) Do NOT use the sort feature
>>>> 3) Insert your new rows LAST
>>>> 4) Sort your data first (see #3)
>>>> 5) Populate the branches of the tree dynamically using
>>>> points 2-4 above.
>>>>
>>>> Chris
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> <Marina> wrote in message
>>>>
>>>>> news:433d53be.7929.1681692777@sybase.com... Hi everyone!
>>>>>
>>>>> After migrating application from PB5 to PB8 I noticed
>>>>> that the treeview control (from one of the application
>>>>> window) populates much slower than before. We populate
>>>>> items of the treeview control by inserting data from dw
>>>>> control using function InsertItemLast(). When I debuged
>>>>> it I noteced inserting items takes the most time. We
>>>>> have about 6000 rows to insert and this number is
>>>>> growing. Do you have any suggestions how to make it work
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> faster? >
>>>>
>>>>> Thank You.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>>


Chris Pollach Posted on 2005-10-03 11:46:08.0Z
From: "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.dot.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
References: <433d6189$1@forums-1-dub> <433d665f.7aed.1681692777@sybase.com> <433d8fba@forums-1-dub> <433d97c1$1@forums-1-dub> <433d9869@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Treeview control
Lines: 81
Organization: STD Inc.
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4927.1200
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4927.1200
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: stealth.nserc.ca
Message-ID: <43411976$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 3 Oct 2005 04:43:50 -0700, stealth.nserc.ca
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 3 Oct 2005 04:43:53 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 3 Oct 2005 04:46:08 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1128339968 10.22.108.75 (3 Oct 2005 04:46:08 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 3 Oct 2005 04:46:08 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-2-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:8647
Article PK: 735863

Now I know why you guys have such a hard time ... it's that Dr Pepper S***
..... Start drinking Canada Dry - eh <lol>!

"John" <J0hnD_N0_SPAM@D3lWar3.c0m> wrote in message
news:433d9869@forums-1-dub...
> ROFL, I just spewed Dr. Pepper all over my desk Roy.
>
> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] wrote:
> > What kind of crazy powder do you put in your milkshake every morning???
> >
> > Machine code, on the rare occasion that you can actually compile it, has
> > never been benchmarked to show numbers like that.
> >
> > --
> > Roy
> >
> > Chris Pollach wrote:
> >
> >> Do not forget that compiling into machine code and optimizing for
> >> "Speed"
> >> should boost the process 100's x faster!
> >>
> >>
> >> <Marina> wrote in message news:433d665f.7aed.1681692777@sybase.com...
> >>
> >>> Thank you, Chris!
> >>>
> >>> That's exactly what we are doing. I guess we have to live
> >>> with that, unless there are any other solutions to that
> >>> problem.
> >>>
> >>> Thanks again,
> >>> Marina
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>> Marina;
> >>>>
> >>>> The joy of moving from a native PB control to the
> >>>> Microsoft one :)
> >>>>
> >>>> So the tack-tick I would recommend at this time would be
> >>>> to carefully populate the tree by:
> >>>>
> >>>> 1) Only populate the top level.
> >>>> 2) Do NOT use the sort feature
> >>>> 3) Insert your new rows LAST
> >>>> 4) Sort your data first (see #3)
> >>>> 5) Populate the branches of the tree dynamically using
> >>>> points 2-4 above.
> >>>>
> >>>> Chris
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> <Marina> wrote in message
> >>>>
> >>>>> news:433d53be.7929.1681692777@sybase.com... Hi everyone!
> >>>>>
> >>>>> After migrating application from PB5 to PB8 I noticed
> >>>>> that the treeview control (from one of the application
> >>>>> window) populates much slower than before. We populate
> >>>>> items of the treeview control by inserting data from dw
> >>>>> control using function InsertItemLast(). When I debuged
> >>>>> it I noteced inserting items takes the most time. We
> >>>>> have about 6000 rows to insert and this number is
> >>>>> growing. Do you have any suggestions how to make it work
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> faster? >
> >>>>
> >>>>> Thank You.
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>
> >>


Chris Pollach Posted on 2005-10-03 11:49:02.0Z
From: "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.dot.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
References: <433d6189$1@forums-1-dub> <433d665f.7aed.1681692777@sybase.com> <433d8fba@forums-1-dub> <433d97c1$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Treeview control
Lines: 78
Organization: STD Inc.
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4927.1200
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4927.1200
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: stealth.nserc.ca
Message-ID: <43411a25$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 3 Oct 2005 04:46:45 -0700, stealth.nserc.ca
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 3 Oct 2005 04:46:48 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 3 Oct 2005 04:49:02 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1128340142 10.22.108.75 (3 Oct 2005 04:49:02 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 3 Oct 2005 04:49:02 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-2-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:8648
Article PK: 735864

MC is a great way to verify that your application is properly coded. I
do not release anything without a full QA of an application compiled to that
format. Performance can be anywhere from 40-4000% better (and that's a
benchmarked fact) too!

"Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]" <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com> wrote in
message news:433d97c1$1@forums-1-dub...
> What kind of crazy powder do you put in your milkshake every morning???
>
> Machine code, on the rare occasion that you can actually compile it, has
> never been benchmarked to show numbers like that.
>
> --
> Roy
>
> Chris Pollach wrote:
> > Do not forget that compiling into machine code and optimizing for
"Speed"
> > should boost the process 100's x faster!
> >
> >
> > <Marina> wrote in message news:433d665f.7aed.1681692777@sybase.com...
> >
> >>Thank you, Chris!
> >>
> >>That's exactly what we are doing. I guess we have to live
> >>with that, unless there are any other solutions to that
> >>problem.
> >>
> >>Thanks again,
> >>Marina
> >>
> >>
> >>>Marina;
> >>>
> >>> The joy of moving from a native PB control to the
> >>>Microsoft one :)
> >>>
> >>>So the tack-tick I would recommend at this time would be
> >>>to carefully populate the tree by:
> >>>
> >>>1) Only populate the top level.
> >>>2) Do NOT use the sort feature
> >>>3) Insert your new rows LAST
> >>>4) Sort your data first (see #3)
> >>>5) Populate the branches of the tree dynamically using
> >>>points 2-4 above.
> >>>
> >>>Chris
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>><Marina> wrote in message
> >>>
> >>>>news:433d53be.7929.1681692777@sybase.com... Hi everyone!
> >>>>
> >>>>After migrating application from PB5 to PB8 I noticed
> >>>>that the treeview control (from one of the application
> >>>>window) populates much slower than before. We populate
> >>>>items of the treeview control by inserting data from dw
> >>>>control using function InsertItemLast(). When I debuged
> >>>>it I noteced inserting items takes the most time. We
> >>>>have about 6000 rows to insert and this number is
> >>>>growing. Do you have any suggestions how to make it work
> >>>
> >>>faster? >
> >>>
> >>>>Thank You.
> >>>
> >>>
> >
> >


Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] Posted on 2005-10-03 17:50:57.0Z
From: "Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]" <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.6 (Windows/20050716)
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
Subject: Re: Treeview control
References: <433d6189$1@forums-1-dub> <433d665f.7aed.1681692777@sybase.com> <433d8fba@forums-1-dub> <433d97c1$1@forums-1-dub> <43411a25$1@forums-2-dub>
In-Reply-To: <43411a25$1@forums-2-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: 216.250.69.98
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 216.250.69.98
Message-ID: <43416f81$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 3 Oct 2005 10:50:57 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1128361857 216.250.69.98 (3 Oct 2005 10:50:57 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 3 Oct 2005 10:50:57 -0700, 216.250.69.98
Lines: 14
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:8649
Article PK: 735862

40% I can dig, but 4000%??? and you claim it's benchmarked fact???

Tell me that's last night's extra MSG on the lo-mein that made your
fingers swell. Otherwise, you need to get your head checked.

--
Roy

Chris Pollach wrote:
> MC is a great way to verify that your application is properly coded. I
> do not release anything without a full QA of an application compiled to that
> format. Performance can be anywhere from 40-4000% better (and that's a
> benchmarked fact) too!
>


Chris Pollach Posted on 2005-10-03 19:21:42.0Z
From: "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.dot.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
References: <433d6189$1@forums-1-dub> <433d665f.7aed.1681692777@sybase.com> <433d8fba@forums-1-dub> <433d97c1$1@forums-1-dub> <43411a25$1@forums-2-dub> <43416f81$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Treeview control
Lines: 24
Organization: STD Inc.
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4927.1200
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4927.1200
NNTP-Posting-Host: stealth.nserc.ca
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: stealth.nserc.ca
Message-ID: <434184c6$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 3 Oct 2005 12:21:42 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1128367302 198.96.2.93 (3 Oct 2005 12:21:42 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 3 Oct 2005 12:21:42 -0700, stealth.nserc.ca
X-Authenticated-User: pb105beta
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:8650
Article PK: 735866

That question was on the CPD-Professional exam!

"Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]" <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com> wrote in
message news:43416f81$1@forums-1-dub...
> 40% I can dig, but 4000%??? and you claim it's benchmarked fact???
>
> Tell me that's last night's extra MSG on the lo-mein that made your
> fingers swell. Otherwise, you need to get your head checked.
>
> --
> Roy
>
> Chris Pollach wrote:
> > MC is a great way to verify that your application is properly coded.
I
> > do not release anything without a full QA of an application compiled to
that
> > format. Performance can be anywhere from 40-4000% better (and that's a
> > benchmarked fact) too!
> >


Paul Horan[TeamSybase] Posted on 2005-10-04 21:50:40.0Z
From: "Paul Horan[TeamSybase]" <paulhATvcisolutionsDOTcom>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
References: <433d6189$1@forums-1-dub> <433d665f.7aed.1681692777@sybase.com> <433d8fba@forums-1-dub> <433d97c1$1@forums-1-dub> <43411a25$1@forums-2-dub> <43416f81$1@forums-1-dub> <434184c6$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Treeview control
Lines: 38
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2527
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2527
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: pcp06338894pcs.rte20201.de.comcast.net
Message-ID: <4342f89f$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 4 Oct 2005 14:48:15 -0700, pcp06338894pcs.rte20201.de.comcast.net
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 4 Oct 2005 14:48:16 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 4 Oct 2005 14:50:40 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1128462640 10.22.108.75 (4 Oct 2005 14:50:40 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 4 Oct 2005 14:50:40 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-2-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:8651
Article PK: 735865


"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.dot.com> wrote in message news:434184c6$1@forums-1-dub...
>
> That question was on the CPD-Professional exam!
>
>
> "Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]" <SPAM_FREE_roy.kiesler@teamsybase.com> wrote in
> message news:43416f81$1@forums-1-dub...
>> 40% I can dig, but 4000%??? and you claim it's benchmarked fact???
>>
>> Tell me that's last night's extra MSG on the lo-mein that made your
>> fingers swell. Otherwise, you need to get your head checked.
>>
>> --
>> Roy
>>
>> Chris Pollach wrote:
>> > MC is a great way to verify that your application is properly coded.
> I
>> > do not release anything without a full QA of an application compiled to
> that
>> > format. Performance can be anywhere from 40-4000% better (and that's a
>> > benchmarked fact) too!
>> >
>

*MAYBE* for stuff like:
FOR x = 1 to li_infinity
of_invert_matrix( { some complicated triple-nested array] )
NEXT

But 99% of the world's PB apps (an unscientific guess-timate) use datawindows to retrieve, present, and store data.
That code is going to be pretty-well optimized, since the DW engine is compiled into a DLL already.

--
Paul Horan[TeamSybase]