Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

API for SQL Anywhere Network Server?

8 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2005-10-07 01:40:51.0Z
Ron Sochanski Posted on 2005-10-06 13:52:56.0Z
Sender: 55eb.43443f0d.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Ron Sochanski
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: API for SQL Anywhere Network Server?
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <43452c38.611c.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 6 Oct 2005 06:52:56 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1128606776 10.22.241.41 (6 Oct 2005 06:52:56 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 6 Oct 2005 06:52:56 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 3
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:4836
Article PK: 17440

Can an application communicate directly with a Sybase SQL
Anywhere network/database server using an API instead of
dbclient? Thank you.


"Rob Waywell" <rwaywell Posted on 2005-10-06 14:02:23.0Z
From: "Rob Waywell" <rwaywell@no_spam.ianywhere.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <43452c38.611c.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: API for SQL Anywhere Network Server?
Lines: 43
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: rwaywell-xp.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: rwaywell-xp.sybase.com
Message-ID: <43452e6f$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 6 Oct 2005 07:02:23 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1128607343 10.25.98.159 (6 Oct 2005 07:02:23 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 6 Oct 2005 07:02:23 -0700, rwaywell-xp.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:4837
Article PK: 8573

dbclient was the client executable back in version 5.x or older of SQL
Anywhere/Adaptive Server Anywhere. So the first answer is that yes you can
have a client application without needing to run dbclient.

That said, in any client server architecture there are always client
components required. These can be very generic as in the case of a web
browser (client) connecting to a web server, or they can be specific to the
server as in the case of a database server.

With current versions of Adaptive Server Anywhere you have a choice of
API's to work with including Embedded SQL (ESQL), ODBC, OLEDB, ADO, Open
Client, JDBC, and .NET. Each of these has a client component that is
required.

Can you elaborate on the issue or challenge that you are trying to address?

--
-----------------------------------------------
Robert Waywell
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - Version 8
Sybase Certified Professional

Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions

Please respond ONLY to newsgroup

EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all

To Submit Bug Reports:
http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=Bug

SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288

Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere
Developer Community at www.ianywhere.com/developer

<Ron Sochanski> wrote in message news:43452c38.611c.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Can an application communicate directly with a Sybase SQL
> Anywhere network/database server using an API instead of
> dbclient? Thank you.


Ron Sochanski Posted on 2005-10-06 15:30:46.0Z
Sender: 1923.434541a7.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Ron Sochanski
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: API for SQL Anywhere Network Server?
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <43454289.1935.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <43452e6f$1@forums-1-dub>
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.42
X-Original-Trace: 6 Oct 2005 08:28:09 -0700, 10.22.241.42
Lines: 16
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 6 Oct 2005 08:28:12 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 6 Oct 2005 08:30:46 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1128612646 10.22.108.75 (6 Oct 2005 08:30:46 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 6 Oct 2005 08:30:46 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-2-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:4838
Article PK: 17439

I have a C++ client application that uses ODBC to connect to
a SQL Anywhere 5.x network/database server running on a
NetWare 5.0 machine. The application connects to a database
on the server via ODBC which runs dbclient.exe on the client
machine. One disadvantage to this approach is that the
Windows registry must be modified on the client machine to
use ODBC. Another is that an external program, dbclient.exe
in this case, must be used on the client machine to actually
connect to the database. I'd like to eliminate the use of
ODBC and dbclient.exe and provide functionality to the
application such that it communicates with the server
without either registry modification or use of an external
program. And I was just wondering if an SQL Anywhere 5.x
API is available to provide for this functionality. Perhaps
Embedded SQL would be the way to go. Please advise. Thank
you.


Nick Elson Posted on 2005-10-06 19:41:19.0Z
From: "Nick Elson" <no_spam_nicelson@sybase.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <43452e6f$1@forums-1-dub> <43454289.1935.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: API for SQL Anywhere Network Server?
Lines: 45
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
NNTP-Posting-Host: nicelson-xp.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: nicelson-xp.sybase.com
Message-ID: <43457ddf@forums-1-dub>
Date: 6 Oct 2005 12:41:19 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1128627679 10.25.98.216 (6 Oct 2005 12:41:19 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 6 Oct 2005 12:41:19 -0700, nicelson-xp.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:4840
Article PK: 17437

Dbclient was required in SA version 5 to connect over the
network. To eliminate that you will need to acquire a
version higher than 5. Dbclient was eliminated in version
6.

API's are another thing. Embedded SQL is always a
possibility, but that would depend upon you desire
to recode everything in a different way.

One short answer to your registry woes, is to try a
DSN-less connection. That way you can specify
just the DRIVER= and the rest of the connection
information required right in the connection string.

Search for other postings on this and the

sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general

newsgroup for examples of DSN-less (or maybe
DSNless) connections.

I personally cannot attest to this working with
version 5 but in theory it should work [see the
Microsoft ODBC Reference for SQLConnect()
etc]

<Ron Sochanski> wrote in message news:43454289.1935.1681692777@sybase.com...
>I have a C++ client application that uses ODBC to connect to
> a SQL Anywhere 5.x network/database server running on a
> NetWare 5.0 machine. The application connects to a database
> on the server via ODBC which runs dbclient.exe on the client
> machine. One disadvantage to this approach is that the
> Windows registry must be modified on the client machine to
> use ODBC. Another is that an external program, dbclient.exe
> in this case, must be used on the client machine to actually
> connect to the database. I'd like to eliminate the use of
> ODBC and dbclient.exe and provide functionality to the
> application such that it communicates with the server
> without either registry modification or use of an external
> program. And I was just wondering if an SQL Anywhere 5.x
> API is available to provide for this functionality. Perhaps
> Embedded SQL would be the way to go. Please advise. Thank
> you.


Ron Sochanski Posted on 2005-10-06 20:31:09.0Z
Sender: 6229.434545aa.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Ron Sochanski
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: API for SQL Anywhere Network Server?
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4345898d.6666.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <43457ddf@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 6 Oct 2005 13:31:09 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1128630669 10.22.241.41 (6 Oct 2005 13:31:09 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 6 Oct 2005 13:31:09 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 2
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:4842
Article PK: 17441

Thank you!


Chris Ceniza Posted on 2005-10-07 01:40:51.0Z
Sender: 6a35.4345cd6c.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Chris Ceniza
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: API for SQL Anywhere Network Server?
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4345d223.6a5f.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <43457ddf@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 6 Oct 2005 18:40:51 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1128649251 10.22.241.41 (6 Oct 2005 18:40:51 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 6 Oct 2005 18:40:51 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 55
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:4844
Article PK: 17443

I can attest to this. All of my applications are not using
DNS to connect to the database server. I just included the
(ex. "DRIVER=Adaptive Server Anywhere 8.0" parameter in the
connection string and it works. I'm using ASA 8.0 and 9.0

Chris Ceniza

> Dbclient was required in SA version 5 to connect over the
> network. To eliminate that you will need to acquire a
> version higher than 5. Dbclient was eliminated in
> version 6.
>
> API's are another thing. Embedded SQL is always a
> possibility, but that would depend upon you desire
> to recode everything in a different way.
>
> One short answer to your registry woes, is to try a
> DSN-less connection. That way you can specify
> just the DRIVER= and the rest of the connection
> information required right in the connection string.
>
> Search for other postings on this and the
>
> sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general
>
> newsgroup for examples of DSN-less (or maybe
> DSNless) connections.
>
> I personally cannot attest to this working with
> version 5 but in theory it should work [see the
> Microsoft ODBC Reference for SQLConnect()
> etc]
>
> <Ron Sochanski> wrote in message
> news:43454289.1935.1681692777@sybase.com... >I have a C++
> > client application that uses ODBC to connect to a SQL
> > Anywhere 5.x network/database server running on a
> NetWare 5.0 machine. The application connects to a
> > database on the server via ODBC which runs dbclient.exe
> > on the client machine. One disadvantage to this
> > approach is that the Windows registry must be modified
> > on the client machine to use ODBC. Another is that an
> > external program, dbclient.exe in this case, must be
> > used on the client machine to actually connect to the
> > database. I'd like to eliminate the use of ODBC and
> > dbclient.exe and provide functionality to the
> > application such that it communicates with the server
> > without either registry modification or use of an
> external program. And I was just wondering if an SQL
> > Anywhere 5.x API is available to provide for this
> > functionality. Perhaps Embedded SQL would be the way to
> > go. Please advise. Thank you.
>
>