Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Results GRID, autocomplete and debugger

8 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2006-01-18 20:58:46.0Z
Pieter Posted on 2005-11-14 10:45:20.0Z
Sender: e8e.43785c33.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Pieter
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
Subject: Results GRID, autocomplete and debugger
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <43786942.fdd.1681692777@sybase.com>
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.42
X-Original-Trace: 14 Nov 2005 02:38:58 -0800, 10.22.241.42
Lines: 32
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 14 Nov 2005 02:39:01 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 14 Nov 2005 02:45:20 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1131965120 10.22.108.75 (14 Nov 2005 02:45:20 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 14 Nov 2005 02:45:20 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:22
Article PK: 1087752

Hi,

We are evaluating SW 1.0 as a replacement for our current
sql tools. Our situation now:
- Database: ASE 12.5.3 (12461 ESD#2)
- SQL Advantage for small scripts and SQL debug
- Textpad as Stored Procedure editor

1. SQL Results nicely gives us the results, but always in a
grid. Thats hard to copy temporary results to the clipboard
like we do in SQL Advantage. Also when we execute sp_help
(which we do a lot), this results in 6 tabs with results.
This slows down our workspeed. Can the result be just in
plain text?

2. Autocomplete always adds dbo when choosing a table. We
never work this way, and i think most the SQL written...
This is also if we choose a column name, the full tablename
is added. This is nice, if you work with just one table,
wich almost never happens. Are their any changes for this
behaviour in the future planned?

3. When i debug a SP, i noticed that my variabels were
changing before my line indicator reached the executed line.

4. Is there a public list of bugs or planned changes for WS
1.0?

I hope i didn't ask too many question...

Thx
Pieter


Samir Nigam Posted on 2005-11-15 20:51:28.0Z
From: "Samir Nigam" <Samir_N.O.S.P.A.M_Nigam@sybase.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
References: <43786942.fdd.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Results GRID, autocomplete and debugger
Lines: 47
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1441
NNTP-Posting-Host: snigamxp.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: snigamxp.sybase.com
Message-ID: <437a4a50$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 15 Nov 2005 12:51:28 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1132087888 10.22.85.194 (15 Nov 2005 12:51:28 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 15 Nov 2005 12:51:28 -0800, snigamxp.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:24
Article PK: 1087759

Pieter,

The issues 1 and 2 are in the works for next release. For issue #3, please
send an example stored procedure that would reproduce the problem with
variables changing value before reaching the line. On last item, we don't
have a public buglist.

Thanks for your interest in Sybase WorkSpace.

Regards,
Samir

<Pieter> wrote in message news:43786942.fdd.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hi,
>
> We are evaluating SW 1.0 as a replacement for our current
> sql tools. Our situation now:
> - Database: ASE 12.5.3 (12461 ESD#2)
> - SQL Advantage for small scripts and SQL debug
> - Textpad as Stored Procedure editor
>
> 1. SQL Results nicely gives us the results, but always in a
> grid. Thats hard to copy temporary results to the clipboard
> like we do in SQL Advantage. Also when we execute sp_help
> (which we do a lot), this results in 6 tabs with results.
> This slows down our workspeed. Can the result be just in
> plain text?
>
> 2. Autocomplete always adds dbo when choosing a table. We
> never work this way, and i think most the SQL written...
> This is also if we choose a column name, the full tablename
> is added. This is nice, if you work with just one table,
> wich almost never happens. Are their any changes for this
> behaviour in the future planned?
>
> 3. When i debug a SP, i noticed that my variabels were
> changing before my line indicator reached the executed line.
>
> 4. Is there a public list of bugs or planned changes for WS
> 1.0?
>
> I hope i didn't ask too many question...
>
> Thx
> Pieter


Pieter Posted on 2005-11-16 13:52:21.0Z
Sender: 2385.437b2fbc.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Pieter
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
Subject: Re: Results GRID, autocomplete and debugger
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <437b380d.246e.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <437a4a50$1@forums-1-dub>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="-=_forums-2-dub437b380d"
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.42
X-Original-Trace: 16 Nov 2005 05:45:49 -0800, 10.22.241.42
Lines: 1948
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 16 Nov 2005 05:45:50 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 16 Nov 2005 05:52:21 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1132149141 10.22.108.75 (16 Nov 2005 05:52:21 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 16 Nov 2005 05:52:21 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:27
Article PK: 1087873

Hi Samir,

thx for the response. Regarding my debug problem, i use a
stored procedure (sp_who) from sybsystemprocs for example...

I added 2 screenshots.

- The first screenshot shows that my blue line is one row
before the IF (why's that?). I only used 'Step Into' to go
further. This is strange, there is no code in the blue
line...

- The second sreenshot shows that my blue line moved to
after the IF (with only one 'Step Into'). I expected that
the blue line was going to stop on the IF statement...

I think this is the same problem like my variabels changing.
The blue line is not exactly indicating where the debugger
really is....

Any ideas?

Pieter

before.jpg
after.jpg

Samir Nigam Posted on 2005-11-17 19:32:43.0Z
From: "Samir Nigam" <Samir_N.O.S.P.A.M_Nigam@sybase.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
References: <437a4a50$1@forums-1-dub> <437b380d.246e.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Results GRID, autocomplete and debugger
Lines: 35
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1441
NNTP-Posting-Host: snigamxp.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: snigamxp.sybase.com
Message-ID: <437cdadb$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 17 Nov 2005 11:32:43 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1132255963 10.22.85.194 (17 Nov 2005 11:32:43 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 17 Nov 2005 11:32:43 -0800, snigamxp.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:28
Article PK: 1087765

Thanks for the screenshots. We will look into this. If you can similarly get
the screenshot or some information on the variables changing values before
the actual line is reached, it would be great.


Regards,
Samir

<Pieter> wrote in message news:437b380d.246e.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hi Samir,
>
> thx for the response. Regarding my debug problem, i use a
> stored procedure (sp_who) from sybsystemprocs for example...
>
> I added 2 screenshots.
>
> - The first screenshot shows that my blue line is one row
> before the IF (why's that?). I only used 'Step Into' to go
> further. This is strange, there is no code in the blue
> line...
>
> - The second sreenshot shows that my blue line moved to
> after the IF (with only one 'Step Into'). I expected that
> the blue line was going to stop on the IF statement...
>
> I think this is the same problem like my variabels changing.
> The blue line is not exactly indicating where the debugger
> really is....
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Pieter
>


Pieter Posted on 2005-11-18 09:14:52.0Z
Sender: 40ce.437d83eb.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Pieter
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
Subject: Re: Results GRID, autocomplete and debugger
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <437d99fa.4291.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <437cdadb$1@forums-1-dub>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="-=_forums-2-dub437d99fa"
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.42
X-Original-Trace: 18 Nov 2005 01:08:10 -0800, 10.22.241.42
Lines: 762
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 18 Nov 2005 01:08:11 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 18 Nov 2005 01:14:52 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1132305292 10.22.108.75 (18 Nov 2005 01:14:52 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 18 Nov 2005 01:14:52 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:30
Article PK: 1087834

Hi Samir,

i made a screenshot of debugging sp_tables. In the
screenshot you can see that my line is at the IF-statement
and my var (on the right) is in red (its changed).

When i start to debug, it starts correctly on a couple of
if-statements (i call the sp without any args). This is the
statement where the line goes wrong...

/*
** Select all ODBC supported table types
*/

I got the feeling that maybe the comment-lines are the bad
guys...

Greetz,
Pieter

vars.jpg

Samir Nigam Posted on 2005-11-18 20:16:18.0Z
From: "Samir Nigam" <Samir_N.O.S.P.A.M_Nigam@sybase.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
References: <437cdadb$1@forums-1-dub> <437d99fa.4291.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Results GRID, autocomplete and debugger
Lines: 31
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1441
NNTP-Posting-Host: snigamxp.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: snigamxp.sybase.com
Message-ID: <437e3692$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 18 Nov 2005 12:16:18 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1132344978 10.22.85.194 (18 Nov 2005 12:16:18 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 18 Nov 2005 12:16:18 -0800, snigamxp.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:32
Article PK: 1087908

Pieter,

Thanks for the screenshots. I have logged a bug for our team to investigate.

Regards,
Samir

<Pieter> wrote in message news:437d99fa.4291.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hi Samir,
>
> i made a screenshot of debugging sp_tables. In the
> screenshot you can see that my line is at the IF-statement
> and my var (on the right) is in red (its changed).
>
> When i start to debug, it starts correctly on a couple of
> if-statements (i call the sp without any args). This is the
> statement where the line goes wrong...
>
> /*
> ** Select all ODBC supported table types
> */
>
> I got the feeling that maybe the comment-lines are the bad
> guys...
>
> Greetz,
> Pieter
>