Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Getting at Old Watcom SQL Data

6 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2005-12-23 15:50:03.0Z
Len Chockley Posted on 2005-12-15 20:00:29.0Z
From: "Len Chockley" <len@datastratagems.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Getting at Old Watcom SQL Data
Lines: 6
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: bgp01136464bgs.ypwest01.mi.comcast.net
Message-ID: <43a1c926$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 15 Dec 2005 11:51:02 -0800, bgp01136464bgs.ypwest01.mi.comcast.net
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 15 Dec 2005 11:51:03 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 15 Dec 2005 12:00:29 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1134676829 10.22.108.75 (15 Dec 2005 12:00:29 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 15 Dec 2005 12:00:29 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:5074
Article PK: 17495

Hi, we have an old Watcom SQL file from which we need to extract the data.
Any suggestions of how to do this? I opened the file in a hex editor and
saw Watcom copyright 1987 and 1994. That is about all I know about the
data. Thanks.


"Chris Keating(iAnywhere Solutions)" <NoSpamPlease_k_e_a_t_i_n_g Posted on 2005-12-15 20:12:01.0Z
From: "Chris Keating(iAnywhere Solutions)" <NoSpamPlease_k_e_a_t_i_n_g@i_A_n_y_w_h_e_r_e.com>
Organization: iAnywhere Solutions
User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.5 (Windows/20051025)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Getting at Old Watcom SQL Data
References: <43a1c926$1@forums-2-dub>
In-Reply-To: <43a1c926$1@forums-2-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: keating-dm20.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: keating-dm20.sybase.com
Message-ID: <43a1ce11$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 15 Dec 2005 12:12:01 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1134677521 10.25.98.170 (15 Dec 2005 12:12:01 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 15 Dec 2005 12:12:01 -0800, keating-dm20.sybase.com
Lines: 42
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:5075
Article PK: 8660

You should be able to host it on any new engine (SA5 through ASA9). See
my reference to the developers edition in my signature.

NOTE: You will be asked to rebuild the database if the connection is
made with Sybase Central in ASA9. Use the command line dbunload to avoid
rebuilding.

High level steps:

1) Execute:
dbeng9 <your database file>

2) Execute
dbunload -c "uid=<userid>;pwd=<password>" <directory to unload the data>

Optionally, add -r <directory and file name of the reload script> If not
provided, it is created in the current directory.Add the -r prior to the
unload directory reference.

--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

*****************************************************************************
Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition
and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and small to
medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html

*****************************************************************************

iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use Case Express to report bugs http://case-express.sybase.com

*****************************************************************************


Len Chockley Posted on 2005-12-22 19:03:51.0Z
Sender: 351a.43aa28f6.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Len Chockley
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Getting at Old Watcom SQL Data
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <43aaf637.3f9f.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <43a1ce11$1@forums-1-dub>
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.42
X-Original-Trace: 22 Dec 2005 10:53:43 -0800, 10.22.241.42
Lines: 109
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 22 Dec 2005 10:53:45 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 22 Dec 2005 11:03:51 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1135278231 10.22.108.75 (22 Dec 2005 11:03:51 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 22 Dec 2005 11:03:51 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:5084
Article PK: 17501

I was able to unload 11 tables of data, but it choked on the
12th table issuing this error (complete transcript below):
***** SQL error: Internal database error *** ERROR ***
Assertion failed: 101505
(9.0.2.2451)
Memory allocation size

Any suggestions on how to get past this error?

Thanks,
Len

--------- Start transcript of extraction session --------

C:\Data\WatcomSQL>dbeng9 cmis.db

C:\Data\WatcomSQL> dbunload -c unload
Adaptive Server Anywhere Unload Utility Version 9.0.2.2451
***** SQL error: Invalid user ID or password

C:\Data\WatcomSQL>dbunload -c "uid=dba;pwd=dba" unload
Adaptive Server Anywhere Unload Utility Version 9.0.2.2451
***** SQL error: Invalid user ID or password

C:\Data\WatcomSQL>dbunload -c "uid=cmis;pwd=cmis" unload
Adaptive Server Anywhere Unload Utility Version 9.0.2.2451
Unloading "CMIS"."tbl1" into unload\161.dat (relative to
server)
Unloading "CMIS"."tbl2" into unload\162.dat (relative to
server)
Unloading "CMIS"."tbl3" into unload\163.dat (relative to
server)
Unloading "CMIS"."tbl4" into unload\166.dat (relative to
server)
Unloading "CMIS"."tbl5" into unload\167.dat (relative to
server)
Unloading "CMIS"."tbl6" into unload\168.dat (relative to
server)
Unloading "CMIS"."tbl7" into unload\170.dat (relative to
server)
Unloading "CMIS"."tbl8" into unload\171.dat (relative to
server)
Unloading "CMIS"."tbl9" into unload\172.dat (relative to
server)
Unloading "CMIS"."tbl10" into unload\173.dat (relative to
server)
Unloading "CMIS"."tblDBRowID" into unload\174.dat (relative
to server)
Unloading "CMIS"."codes11" into unload\175.dat (relative to
server)
***** SQL error: Internal database error *** ERROR ***
Assertion failed: 101505
(9.0.2.2451)
Memory allocation size

C:\Data\WatcomSQL>

--------- Start transcript of extraction session --------

> You should be able to host it on any new engine (SA5
> through ASA9). See my reference to the developers edition
> in my signature.
>
> NOTE: You will be asked to rebuild the database if the
> connection is made with Sybase Central in ASA9. Use the
> command line dbunload to avoid rebuilding.
>
> High level steps:
>
> 1) Execute:
> dbeng9 <your database file>
>
> 2) Execute
> dbunload -c "uid=<userid>;pwd=<password>" <directory
> to unload the data>
>
> Optionally, add -r <directory and file name of the reload
> script> If not provided, it is created in the current
> directory.Add the -r prior to the
> unload directory reference.
>
> --
>
> Chris Keating
> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8
>
> **********************************************************
> ******************* Sign up today for your copy of the SQL
> Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition and try out the
> market-leading database for mobile, embedded and small to
> medium sized business environments for free!
>
> http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html
>
> **********************************************************
> *******************
>
> iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com
>
> ** Please only post to the newsgroup
>
> ** Whitepapers can be found at
> http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer ** EBFs can be found at
> http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm ** Use Case
> Express to report bugs http://case-express.sybase.com
>
> **********************************************************
> *******************


Glenn Paulley Posted on 2005-12-22 22:33:14.0Z
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Getting at Old Watcom SQL Data
From: Glenn Paulley <paulley@ianywhere.com>
References: <43a1ce11$1@forums-1-dub> <43aaf637.3f9f.1681692777@sybase.com>
Organization: iAnywhere Solutions
Message-ID: <Xns9734B0DD37951paulleyianywherecom@10.22.241.106>
User-Agent: Xnews/5.04.25
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.25.99.149
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.25.99.149
Date: 22 Dec 2005 14:33:14 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1135290794 10.25.99.149 (22 Dec 2005 14:33:14 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 22 Dec 2005 14:33:14 -0800, 10.25.99.149
Lines: 136
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:5088
Article PK: 8663

Firstly, it is highly unlikely that this error has to do with your
database file. Rather, it is more likely a bug in the server. I would
suggest downloading the latest 902 EBF from the iAnywhere web site, and
trying the new engine on this file and see if it unloads. If it does,
then you can evaluate where to go from there (ie to apply the EBF in
production or not). If the newer software still gives the assertion, then
open a case with technical support.

Glenn

Len Chockley wrote in news:43aaf637.3f9f.1681692777@sybase.com:

> I was able to unload 11 tables of data, but it choked on the
> 12th table issuing this error (complete transcript below):
> ***** SQL error: Internal database error *** ERROR ***
> Assertion failed: 101505
> (9.0.2.2451)
> Memory allocation size
>
> Any suggestions on how to get past this error?
>
> Thanks,
> Len
>
> --------- Start transcript of extraction session --------
>
> C:\Data\WatcomSQL>dbeng9 cmis.db
>
> C:\Data\WatcomSQL> dbunload -c unload
> Adaptive Server Anywhere Unload Utility Version 9.0.2.2451
> ***** SQL error: Invalid user ID or password
>
> C:\Data\WatcomSQL>dbunload -c "uid=dba;pwd=dba" unload
> Adaptive Server Anywhere Unload Utility Version 9.0.2.2451
> ***** SQL error: Invalid user ID or password
>
> C:\Data\WatcomSQL>dbunload -c "uid=cmis;pwd=cmis" unload
> Adaptive Server Anywhere Unload Utility Version 9.0.2.2451
> Unloading "CMIS"."tbl1" into unload\161.dat (relative to
> server)
> Unloading "CMIS"."tbl2" into unload\162.dat (relative to
> server)
> Unloading "CMIS"."tbl3" into unload\163.dat (relative to
> server)
> Unloading "CMIS"."tbl4" into unload\166.dat (relative to
> server)
> Unloading "CMIS"."tbl5" into unload\167.dat (relative to
> server)
> Unloading "CMIS"."tbl6" into unload\168.dat (relative to
> server)
> Unloading "CMIS"."tbl7" into unload\170.dat (relative to
> server)
> Unloading "CMIS"."tbl8" into unload\171.dat (relative to
> server)
> Unloading "CMIS"."tbl9" into unload\172.dat (relative to
> server)
> Unloading "CMIS"."tbl10" into unload\173.dat (relative to
> server)
> Unloading "CMIS"."tblDBRowID" into unload\174.dat (relative
> to server)
> Unloading "CMIS"."codes11" into unload\175.dat (relative to
> server)
> ***** SQL error: Internal database error *** ERROR ***
> Assertion failed: 101505
> (9.0.2.2451)
> Memory allocation size
>
> C:\Data\WatcomSQL>
>
> --------- Start transcript of extraction session --------
>
>
>> You should be able to host it on any new engine (SA5
>> through ASA9). See my reference to the developers edition
>> in my signature.
>>
>> NOTE: You will be asked to rebuild the database if the
>> connection is made with Sybase Central in ASA9. Use the
>> command line dbunload to avoid rebuilding.
>>
>> High level steps:
>>
>> 1) Execute:
>> dbeng9 <your database file>
>>
>> 2) Execute
>> dbunload -c "uid=<userid>;pwd=<password>" <directory
>> to unload the data>
>>
>> Optionally, add -r <directory and file name of the reload
>> script> If not provided, it is created in the current
>> directory.Add the -r prior to the
>> unload directory reference.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Chris Keating
>> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8
>>
>> **********************************************************
>> ******************* Sign up today for your copy of the SQL
>> Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition and try out the
>> market-leading database for mobile, embedded and small to
>> medium sized business environments for free!
>>
>> http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html
>>
>> **********************************************************
>> *******************
>>
>> iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com
>>
>> ** Please only post to the newsgroup
>>
>> ** Whitepapers can be found at
>> http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer ** EBFs can be found at
>> http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm ** Use Case
>> Express to report bugs http://case-express.sybase.com
>>
>> **********************************************************
>> *******************

--
Glenn Paulley
Research and Development Manager, Query Processing
iAnywhere Solutions Engineering

EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all

To Submit Bug Reports: http://casexpress.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm

SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288


Len Chockley Posted on 2005-12-23 03:30:14.0Z
Sender: 4272.43ab6c13.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Len Chockley
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Getting at Old Watcom SQL Data
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <43ab6ce3.4276.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <Xns9734B0DD37951paulleyianywherecom@10.22.241.106>
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.42
X-Original-Trace: 22 Dec 2005 19:20:03 -0800, 10.22.241.42
Lines: 151
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 22 Dec 2005 19:20:04 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 22 Dec 2005 19:30:14 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1135308614 10.22.108.75 (22 Dec 2005 19:30:14 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 22 Dec 2005 19:30:14 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:5089
Article PK: 17506

I upgraded to the latest EBF (9.0.2.3228, 12/19/2005), but
it behaves exactly the same. Is there any way to get this
fixed? I am still in the evaluation stage trying to
determine if this product allows access to the old Watcom
SQL data. This problem is very reproducible.

Thanks,
Len

> Firstly, it is highly unlikely that this error has to do
> with your database file. Rather, it is more likely a bug
> in the server. I would suggest downloading the latest 902
> EBF from the iAnywhere web site, and trying the new
> engine on this file and see if it unloads. If it does,
> then you can evaluate where to go from there (ie to apply
> the EBF in production or not). If the newer software
> still gives the assertion, then open a case with
> technical support.
>
> Glenn
>
> Len Chockley wrote in
> news:43aaf637.3f9f.1681692777@sybase.com:
>
> > I was able to unload 11 tables of data, but it choked on
> > the 12th table issuing this error (complete transcript
> > below): ***** SQL error: Internal database error ***
> > ERROR *** Assertion failed: 101505
> > (9.0.2.2451)
> > Memory allocation size
> >
> > Any suggestions on how to get past this error?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Len
> >
> > --------- Start transcript of extraction session
> > --------
> > C:\Data\WatcomSQL>dbeng9 cmis.db
> >
> > C:\Data\WatcomSQL> dbunload -c unload
> > Adaptive Server Anywhere Unload Utility Version
> > 9.0.2.2451 ***** SQL error: Invalid user ID or password
> >
> > C:\Data\WatcomSQL>dbunload -c "uid=dba;pwd=dba" unload
> > Adaptive Server Anywhere Unload Utility Version
> > 9.0.2.2451 ***** SQL error: Invalid user ID or password
> >
> > C:\Data\WatcomSQL>dbunload -c "uid=cmis;pwd=cmis" unload
> > Adaptive Server Anywhere Unload Utility Version
> > 9.0.2.2451 Unloading "CMIS"."tbl1" into unload\161.dat
> > (relative to server)
> > Unloading "CMIS"."tbl2" into unload\162.dat (relative to
> > server)
> > Unloading "CMIS"."tbl3" into unload\163.dat (relative to
> > server)
> > Unloading "CMIS"."tbl4" into unload\166.dat (relative to
> > server)
> > Unloading "CMIS"."tbl5" into unload\167.dat (relative to
> > server)
> > Unloading "CMIS"."tbl6" into unload\168.dat (relative to
> > server)
> > Unloading "CMIS"."tbl7" into unload\170.dat (relative to
> > server)
> > Unloading "CMIS"."tbl8" into unload\171.dat (relative to
> > server)
> > Unloading "CMIS"."tbl9" into unload\172.dat (relative to
> > server)
> > Unloading "CMIS"."tbl10" into unload\173.dat (relative
> > to server)
> > Unloading "CMIS"."tblDBRowID" into unload\174.dat
> > (relative to server)
> > Unloading "CMIS"."codes11" into unload\175.dat (relative
> > to server)
> > ***** SQL error: Internal database error *** ERROR ***
> > Assertion failed: 101505
> > (9.0.2.2451)
> > Memory allocation size
> >
> > C:\Data\WatcomSQL>
> >
> > --------- Start transcript of extraction session
> > --------
> >
> >> You should be able to host it on any new engine (SA5
> >> through ASA9). See my reference to the developers
> edition >> in my signature.
> >>
> >> NOTE: You will be asked to rebuild the database if the
> >> connection is made with Sybase Central in ASA9. Use
> the >> command line dbunload to avoid rebuilding.
> >>
> >> High level steps:
> >>
> >> 1) Execute:
> >> dbeng9 <your database file>
> >>
> >> 2) Execute
> >> dbunload -c "uid=<userid>;pwd=<password>"
> <directory >> to unload the data>
> >>
> >> Optionally, add -r <directory and file name of the
> reload >> script> If not provided, it is created in the
> current >> directory.Add the -r prior to the
> >> unload directory reference.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Chris Keating
> >> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8
> >>
> >>
> **********************************************************
> >> ******************* Sign up today for your copy of the
> SQL >> Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition and try out the
> >> market-leading database for mobile, embedded and small
> to >> medium sized business environments for free!
> >>
> >> http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html
> >>
> >>
> **********************************************************
> >> ******************* >>
> >> iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com
> >>
> >> ** Please only post to the newsgroup
> >>
> >> ** Whitepapers can be found at
> >> http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer ** EBFs can be found
> at >> http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm ** Use
> Case >> Express to report bugs
> http://case-express.sybase.com >>
> >>
> **********************************************************
> >> *******************
>
>
>
> --
> Glenn Paulley
> Research and Development Manager, Query Processing
> iAnywhere Solutions Engineering
>
> EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
> choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all
>
> To Submit Bug Reports:
> http://casexpress.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm
>
> SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
> http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288


"Chris Keating(iAnywhere Solutions)" <NoSpamPlease_k_e_a_t_i_n_g Posted on 2005-12-23 15:50:03.0Z
From: "Chris Keating(iAnywhere Solutions)" <NoSpamPlease_k_e_a_t_i_n_g@i_A_n_y_w_h_e_r_e.com>
Organization: iAnywhere Solutions
User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.5 (Windows/20051201)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Getting at Old Watcom SQL Data
References: <Xns9734B0DD37951paulleyianywherecom@10.22.241.106> <43ab6ce3.4276.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <43ab6ce3.4276.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.18.242.22
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.18.242.22
Message-ID: <43ac1cab@forums-1-dub>
Date: 23 Dec 2005 07:50:03 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1135353003 10.18.242.22 (23 Dec 2005 07:50:03 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 23 Dec 2005 07:50:03 -0800, 10.18.242.22
Lines: 26
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:5091
Article PK: 8665

See my signature for how to report bugs. Make note of the important
message when submitting cases using this service as it outlines the
service levels.
--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

*****************************************************************************
Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition
and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and small to
medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html

*****************************************************************************

iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use Case Express to report bugs http://case-express.sybase.com

*****************************************************************************