Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Database crash while procedure call including "sa_eng_properties()"!!!

6 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2006-01-25 09:45:34.0Z
"Stephan Ahlf" <ahlf Posted on 2006-01-24 13:46:26.0Z
From: "Stephan Ahlf" <ahlf@svs.de_nospam>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Database crash while procedure call including "sa_eng_properties()"!!!
Lines: 31
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1506
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1506
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 212.105.206.29
Message-ID: <43d62c93$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 24 Jan 2006 05:33:07 -0800, 212.105.206.29
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 24 Jan 2006 05:33:08 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 24 Jan 2006 05:46:26 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1138110386 10.22.108.75 (24 Jan 2006 05:46:26 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 24 Jan 2006 05:46:26 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:5133
Article PK: 1197

Hello,
my DB Server will crash while call my function test(); The function will
produce a dynamic WebServiceURL based on sa_eng_properties().
We are using ASA 9.0.2.3228. Seems like bad bug!?

alter function test() returns long varchar
begin
return
string('http://',
if ( select first value from sa_eng_properties() where propName
= 'IsNetworkServer' order by 1 desc) = 'YES' then
( select first value from sa_eng_properties() where propName
= 'MachineName' order by 1 desc)
else
'localhost'
endif
, ':',
( select first value from sa_eng_properties() where propName =
'httpPorts' order by 1 desc), '/',
( select first value from sa_eng_properties() where propName =
'NAME' order by 1 desc), '/'
);
end;

select test() ;


Best Regards,
s.a.


Breck Carter [TeamSybase] Posted on 2006-01-24 15:26:16.0Z
From: "Breck Carter [TeamSybase]" <NOSPAM__bcarter@risingroad.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Database crash while procedure call including "sa_eng_properties()"!!!
Organization: RisingRoad Professional Services
Reply-To: NOSPAM__bcarter@risingroad.com
Message-ID: <dugct1lj9hdbocok20rlvgpagi6v5ts2ms@4ax.com>
References: <43d62c93$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 2.0/32.640
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: bcarter.sentex.ca
X-Original-Trace: 24 Jan 2006 07:12:56 -0800, bcarter.sentex.ca
Lines: 46
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 24 Jan 2006 07:12:57 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 24 Jan 2006 07:26:16 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1138116376 10.22.108.75 (24 Jan 2006 07:26:16 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 24 Jan 2006 07:26:16 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:5136
Article PK: 1200

What is the exact symptom or error message?

("crash" is kinda vague :)

Breck

On 24 Jan 2006 05:46:26 -0800, "Stephan Ahlf" <ahlf@svs.de_nospam>

wrote:

>Hello,
>my DB Server will crash while call my function test(); The function will
>produce a dynamic WebServiceURL based on sa_eng_properties().
>We are using ASA 9.0.2.3228. Seems like bad bug!?
>
>alter function test() returns long varchar
>begin
>return
> string('http://',
> if ( select first value from sa_eng_properties() where propName
>= 'IsNetworkServer' order by 1 desc) = 'YES' then
> ( select first value from sa_eng_properties() where propName
>= 'MachineName' order by 1 desc)
> else
> 'localhost'
> endif
> , ':',
> ( select first value from sa_eng_properties() where propName =
>'httpPorts' order by 1 desc), '/',
> ( select first value from sa_eng_properties() where propName =
>'NAME' order by 1 desc), '/'
> );
>end;
>
>select test() ;
>
>
>Best Regards,
>s.a.
>

--
SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer's Guide
Buy the book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556225067/risingroad-20
bcarter@risingroad.com
RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
www.risingroad.com


"Stephan Ahlf" <ahlf Posted on 2006-01-24 16:18:50.0Z
From: "Stephan Ahlf" <ahlf@svs.de_nospam>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <43d62c93$1@forums-2-dub> <dugct1lj9hdbocok20rlvgpagi6v5ts2ms@4ax.com>
Subject: Re: Database crash while procedure call including "sa_eng_properties()"!!!
Lines: 66
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1506
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1506
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 212.105.206.29
Message-ID: <43d6504b@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 24 Jan 2006 08:05:31 -0800, 212.105.206.29
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 24 Jan 2006 08:05:32 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 24 Jan 2006 08:18:50 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1138119530 10.22.108.75 (24 Jan 2006 08:18:50 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 24 Jan 2006 08:18:50 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:5137
Article PK: 1201

The symptom is : The DB Server - Application is shutting down immidiatelly
after procedure call via ISQL.exe or ODBC.
It seems like an access violation. There' s no errormessage displayed by
Server. After a while ISQL.exe prompts: "Connection disabled".
Can you reproduce the behavior by calling my proc? The error occurs on all
databases I know. Every DB is running under 9.0.2. It should happen on your
system too! Maybe it' s not the best way to get DB WebService URL
dynamically?

Best regards,
s.a.


"Breck Carter [TeamSybase]" <NOSPAM__bcarter@risingroad.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:dugct1lj9hdbocok20rlvgpagi6v5ts2ms@4ax.com...

> What is the exact symptom or error message?
>
> ("crash" is kinda vague :)
>
> Breck
>
> On 24 Jan 2006 05:46:26 -0800, "Stephan Ahlf" <ahlf@svs.de_nospam>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >my DB Server will crash while call my function test(); The function will
> >produce a dynamic WebServiceURL based on sa_eng_properties().
> >We are using ASA 9.0.2.3228. Seems like bad bug!?
> >
> >alter function test() returns long varchar
> >begin
> >return
> > string('http://',
> > if ( select first value from sa_eng_properties() where
propName
> >= 'IsNetworkServer' order by 1 desc) = 'YES' then
> > ( select first value from sa_eng_properties() where
propName
> >= 'MachineName' order by 1 desc)
> > else
> > 'localhost'
> > endif
> > , ':',
> > ( select first value from sa_eng_properties() where propName =
> >'httpPorts' order by 1 desc), '/',
> > ( select first value from sa_eng_properties() where propName =
> >'NAME' order by 1 desc), '/'
> > );
> >end;
> >
> >select test() ;
> >
> >
> >Best Regards,
> >s.a.
> >
>
> --
> SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer's Guide
> Buy the book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556225067/risingroad-20
> bcarter@risingroad.com
> RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
> www.risingroad.com


Breck Carter [TeamSybase] Posted on 2006-01-24 16:48:19.0Z
From: "Breck Carter [TeamSybase]" <NOSPAM__bcarter@risingroad.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Database crash while procedure call including "sa_eng_properties()"!!!
Organization: RisingRoad Professional Services
Reply-To: NOSPAM__bcarter@risingroad.com
Message-ID: <imlct1lj1lt23oa7ormjqfacktvo49tvkd@4ax.com>
References: <43d62c93$1@forums-2-dub> <dugct1lj9hdbocok20rlvgpagi6v5ts2ms@4ax.com> <43d6504b@forums-2-dub>
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 2.0/32.640
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: bcarter.sentex.ca
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: bcarter.sentex.ca
Date: 24 Jan 2006 08:48:19 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1138121299 64.7.134.118 (24 Jan 2006 08:48:19 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 24 Jan 2006 08:48:19 -0800, bcarter.sentex.ca
Lines: 17
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:5138
Article PK: 1202

On 24 Jan 2006 08:18:50 -0800, "Stephan Ahlf" <ahlf@svs.de_nospam>
wrote:

Just calling PROPERTY ( 'IsNetworkServer' ) is an alternative to
selecting from sa_eng_properties.

It shouldn't crash, but maybe that will work around it. The
alternative is calling tech support.

Breck

--
SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer's Guide
Buy the book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556225067/risingroad-20
bcarter@risingroad.com
RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
www.risingroad.com


"Stephan Ahlf" <ahlf Posted on 2006-01-25 09:45:34.0Z
From: "Stephan Ahlf" <ahlf@svs.de_nospam>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <43d62c93$1@forums-2-dub> <dugct1lj9hdbocok20rlvgpagi6v5ts2ms@4ax.com> <43d6504b@forums-2-dub> <imlct1lj1lt23oa7ormjqfacktvo49tvkd@4ax.com>
Subject: Re: Database crash while procedure call including "sa_eng_properties()"!!!
Lines: 28
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1506
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1506
NNTP-Posting-Host: 212.105.206.29
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 212.105.206.29
Message-ID: <43d748be$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 25 Jan 2006 01:45:34 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1138182334 212.105.206.29 (25 Jan 2006 01:45:34 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 25 Jan 2006 01:45:34 -0800, 212.105.206.29
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:5147
Article PK: 1211

hello,
thanks very much to all for quick response.

regards,
s.a.

"Breck Carter [TeamSybase]" <NOSPAM__bcarter@risingroad.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:imlct1lj1lt23oa7ormjqfacktvo49tvkd@4ax.com...

> On 24 Jan 2006 08:18:50 -0800, "Stephan Ahlf" <ahlf@svs.de_nospam>
> wrote:
>
> Just calling PROPERTY ( 'IsNetworkServer' ) is an alternative to
> selecting from sa_eng_properties.
>
> It shouldn't crash, but maybe that will work around it. The
> alternative is calling tech support.
>
> Breck
>
> --
> SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer's Guide
> Buy the book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556225067/risingroad-20
> bcarter@risingroad.com
> RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
> www.risingroad.com


"Chris Keating(iAnywhere Solutions)" <NoSpamPlease_k_e_a_t_i_n_g Posted on 2006-01-24 17:57:41.0Z
From: "Chris Keating(iAnywhere Solutions)" <NoSpamPlease_k_e_a_t_i_n_g@i_A_n_y_w_h_e_r_e.com>
Organization: iAnywhere Solutions
User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.5 (Windows/20051201)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Database crash while procedure call including "sa_eng_properties()"!!!
References: <43d62c93$1@forums-2-dub>
In-Reply-To: <43d62c93$1@forums-2-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: keating-dm20.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: keating-dm20.sybase.com
Message-ID: <43d66a95$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 24 Jan 2006 09:57:41 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1138125461 10.25.98.170 (24 Jan 2006 09:57:41 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 24 Jan 2006 09:57:41 -0800, keating-dm20.sybase.com
Lines: 26
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:5140
Article PK: 1206

We generally recommend that you report problems to technical support as
this is an user community forum. I was able to reproduce this problem
and have submitted it as engineering case# 419294.
--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

*****************************************************************************
Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer
Edition =and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded
and small to medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html

*****************************************************************************

iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use Case Express to report bugs http://case-express.sybase.com

*****************************************************************************